PDA

View Full Version : Rhythm and Cadence

jcpoolgod
07-26-2016, 08:17 PM
In the book "Pleasures of Small Motions" the author has a section about preshot routines where he talks about rhythm and cadence. He talks about actually breaking down your motions into steps, small deliberate steps each with its own beat. 1234, 1234, 1234 ....Like a balloom dancer that glides gracefully across the floor. just falling into the rhythm and letting the body do its thing without too much conscious thought.

I am curious to know how many of you actually do this, and have taken the time to break down all your movements into a series of steps, and play through your routine with the grace of the dancer we just talked about.

I have been experimenting with speed and rhythm lately. I shoot with a few good players on my team, however they play excruciatingly slow...yes they make balls, but they also miss. and so do I but i play with a much faster rhythm. I try to play my actual rhythm.And sometimes when i focus on the rhythm part of the game i play effortlessly and also very well.

I have a theory about rhythm....not only is it important but it is EVERYTHING. Rhythm is the most important thing because it allows your body to make the movements and actions required to accomplish the shots, without your conscious thoughts getting in the way of success.

What are your guys' thoughts on this.

slach
07-27-2016, 08:15 AM
I think rhythm's very important, I picked it up a few years ago from a Scott Lee lesson. When I'm shooting good I have a Set/Pause/Finish (good old SPF) mantra going in my head while I stroke. I try to keep the cadence (tempo) regular. For a hard shot I have a longer backstroke, for a soft shot a shorter backstroke, both with the same cadence. Can't always do this in all situations, but it helps me for most shots.

There's a discussion going on in the Ask an Instructor forum about acceleration that touches on this.

Tramp Steamer
07-27-2016, 08:32 AM
If you want rhythm, just hum a little tune while you shoot.
If you want cadence, you'll have to wait. She's in the back room with Shorty. :grin:

Lesh
07-27-2016, 09:14 AM
If you want rhythm, just hum a little tune while you shoot.
If you want cadence, you'll have to wait. She's in the back room with Shorty. :grin:

I usually sing something like "I can't get no satisfaction" or have a likely song playing in my head gear.

Good stuff Maynard,

Lesh

jcpoolgod
07-28-2016, 07:10 PM
I think this topic is extremely advanced, in one of those weird categories of so sports psychology.

simplestroke
07-28-2016, 08:41 PM
Golf and pool are a lot alike. What's the most important thing in consistent ball striking/putting/chipping in golf?

Tramp Steamer
07-28-2016, 08:51 PM
Golf and pool are a lot alike. What's the most important thing in consistent ball striking/putting/chipping in golf?

Squaring the club face at impact? :smile:

simplestroke
07-28-2016, 09:38 PM
Squaring the club face at impact? :smile:
Lol! True. But what do all the best golfers in the world have in common?
Besides the three inches at impact?

Bank it
07-29-2016, 12:36 AM
Well you're warm in that you mention the one thing that actually does make you play better, lack of conscious thought, being in a flow state. This will ALLOW your natural rhythm or pace to surface, everyone's is different.

You just need to quiet your mind, thereby getting out of your own way.

Tramp Steamer
07-29-2016, 06:46 AM
Lol! True. But what do all the best golfers in the world have in common?
Besides the three inches at impact?

I get it! The same as us pool players. Three inches at impact. :grin-square:

measureman
07-29-2016, 01:33 PM
Rhythm and Cadence ?
i think they were a '50's DoWop group.

measureman
07-29-2016, 01:34 PM
I get it! The same as us pool players. Three inches at impact. :grin-square:

three inches at impact?
keep your sex life out of this tramp.