PDA

View Full Version : I'm Glad It's Over

runout1961
07-28-2016, 05:30 PM
I recently had three cues for sale. A Tascarella, a Jensen and a Prather. All three were custom cues priced at what I thought were reasonable asking prices. Maybe I priced them a little high to accommodate for negotiations sure but don't we all? The bullshit lowball offers and ridiculous trade offers I received for the individual cues were just ridiculous.

It's like getting a good deal isn't good enough for people anymore. You have to practically give your stuff away to make a sale. Countless times I've heard "the economy" this or "the economy" that. That song has been sung for eight years now. The cue market is horrible. But it is what it is I guess. All three cues sold and I'm done with trying to move cues. Too much hassle these days.

Sorry for the rant. Just speaking my mind.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gregnice37
07-29-2016, 03:40 AM
I 100% agree. I have 3 for sale myself to try to reaquire a cue i sold in 2007 stupidly. I already have crazy low prices on the stuff, about 4850 in cues listed for 3400 & people still begging for more off, then get upset when i say no sorry.

jalapus logan
07-29-2016, 04:24 AM
Cues just aren't worth very much to most people and used cues are abundant. Collecting them is fun, but I would hate to have to make a living doing it.

ROB.M
07-29-2016, 04:46 AM
I've heard ppl say that they feel like they are in the cue storage business these days....
The cues just don't move like they used to...

Rob.M

GoldCrown
07-29-2016, 04:54 AM
Why does everything have to be negotiated. Set a price you are comfortable with and write price is firm. My response to low offers are "I'm sorry I need the asking price".
(But If an offer is close I might consider it). Don't let selling your stuff become a flea market. I guess eBay would be the place for that.

xianmacx
07-29-2016, 05:11 AM
I question if the cue market will ever be like it was. There are just too many good cuemakers cranking out lots of cues.

ShootingArts
07-29-2016, 06:41 AM
I question if the cue market will ever be like it was. There are just too many good cuemakers cranking out lots of cues.

There was a time when getting a good playing cue almost meant buying a name cue. Now solid cues are available without paying a premium for a name just to get a great playing cue. The "real use" value of name cues has largely disappeared. Add the ever growing number of collectable cues and the near stagnant or even shrinking number of buyers and the used cue market is simply a buyer's market and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Anyone with a few nice cues and plenty of time to move them shouldn't be concerned. Someone with a couple dozen collectable cues and a need for cash is going to take a major beating. Potential value and market value are a long ways apart right now and I believe prices were vastly inflated for awhile anyway. Those that bought in the bubble will probably never see the cues worth the real dollars they spent on them.

Hu

alstl
07-29-2016, 07:49 AM
I recently had three cues for sale. A Tascarella, a Jensen and a Prather. All three were custom cues priced at what I thought were reasonable asking prices. Maybe I priced them a little high to accommodate for negotiations sure but don't we all? The bullshit lowball offers and ridiculous trade offers I received for the individual cues were just ridiculous.

It's like getting a good deal isn't good enough for people anymore. You have to practically give your stuff away to make a sale. Countless times I've heard "the economy" this or "the economy" that. That song has been sung for eight years now. The cue market is horrible. But it is what it is I guess. All three cues sold and I'm done with trying to move cues. Too much hassle these days.

John

You admit you had them priced too high but you are upset people made offers too low? It's part of the negotiating process.

When I look at the for sale forum I think the vast majority of cues for sale are priced 2 or 3 times too high. I see merry widows going for $1,000 dollars. I look at them daily just to see the cues but what I consider a realistic price would probably offend the seller just like you were offended so I don't bother to make an offer.

I have an old Schon SL5 I'd like to sell but I keep it - not for the reason you cite. I keep it because of the drama I've seen from people who get a used cue and rant and rave about a microscopic blemish or a taper roll in a shaft. I'd sell it reasonably but I don't want to deal with the drama.

GoldCrown
07-29-2016, 08:30 AM
the drama I've seen from people who get a used cue and rant and rave about a microscopic blemish or a taper roll in a shaft. I'd sell it reasonably but I don't want to deal with the drama.

Why I cannot sell a cue unseen. The crazy NitPicking. I have a few cues I would sell but do not want them back...for any reason. Too this too that.

jayburger
07-29-2016, 08:44 AM
Yeah i certainly undersatand where you are coming from. I have a randy mobley(new logo) cue listed here in great shape for 1300 shipped. Randy gets 2200-2300 for these and mine is in almost new condition.

ribdoner
07-29-2016, 09:13 AM

John

Hi John,

THANKS for the deal, to include excellent customer service, you gave my buddy.

Best, adam

maha
07-29-2016, 09:54 AM
its real simple just dont reply to lowball offers or trades. its just part of the selling of things.
you do have a delete button.

Celtic
07-29-2016, 10:43 AM
Why does anyone think they have a right to make money buying and selling cues as if it is some sort of job where you can expect a return on your time investment?

Cue flippers on here are funny. They get a smoking deal on a cue, come here with a 25% markup over the price they paid, get offered 25% less for the cue (the price "they" actually paid) and take it as an insult and come onto the main forum and whine about sellers who expect the same discounts the sellers pay.

Flipping cues is not supposed to provide you a living. It is not a job and if you make any money doing it at all consider yourself lucky.

gregnice37
07-29-2016, 11:19 AM
Why does anyone think they have a right to make money buying and selling cues as if it is some sort of job where you can expect a return on your time investment?

Cue flippers on here are funny. They get a smoking deal on a cue, come here with a 25% markup over the price they paid, get offered 25% less for the cue (the price "they" actually paid) and take it as an insult and come onto the main forum and whine about sellers who expect the same discounts the sellers pay.

Flipping cues is not supposed to provide you a living. It is not a job and if you make any money doing it at all consider yourself lucky.

Not everyone selling a cue or 2 is flipping. I have 3 for sale at prices way way way lower than i paid. Im just looking to get funds to buy back a cue i sold in 2007 when i hurt my back & never thought id play again. Im actually going to pay $1200 more than i originally paid for it & $1400 more than i sold it for to get it back because the maker passed & the owner now is gouging. The cue even has 2 less shatfs than i sold it with. The cue has a ton of sentimental value to me though.

HawaiianEye
07-29-2016, 02:45 PM
The ivory ban is going to kill the high-end cue market.

Anybody with cues sporting ivory may get stuck holding them for a long time, if not forever.

The fact that Ernie just got busted will keep a lot of people from buying/selling cues with ivory and the outcome of his situation will set the tone for future sales.

GaryB
07-29-2016, 07:44 PM
Today's market in the USA is very soft but there are still flippers who will always be around. There seems to be a group of relative newcomers who are producing a lot of cues. I think that is because of the coring process as some of these guys don't have the time in to have acquired and aged their wood. CNC competence can produce beautiful results--but not always the hit. Some guys have a passion for cue making similar in nature to Van Goghs passion for painting. Sales are secondary to the process. The biggest market is obviously the Far East. There is a lot of wood out there but I have never been able to pull the trigger on a cue I haven't hit with. I have only sold a couple of cues one of which, a Tad, I threw out what I felt was a ridiculous price and the guy agreed to the price! I've been kicking myself ever since, especially since my back healed and I started playing again. With all of this said I still have a cue on order from JoeyInCali who made my current player When I die my kids will give my cues back to Joey and let him move them.

By the way I still feel that AZ made a mistake screwing around with the "For Sale" Forum.

tonyboy59
07-29-2016, 08:06 PM

Anybody with cues sporting ivory may get stuck holding them for a long time, if not forever.

The fact that Ernie just got busted will keep a lot of people from buying/selling cues with ivory and the outcome of his situation will set the tone for future sales.

It certainly is going to be a lot more difficult that's for sure.

asiasdad
07-29-2016, 09:53 PM

Seriously, don't buy the damn thing if you are afraid of holding onto it
for a long, long time. Financial return on investment is Bull$hit, real
return on investment is the joy one receives hitting balls with cue in hand.

I wish Ernie the best in his defense, and I'm not afraid of keeping
my order open with him.

classiccues
07-30-2016, 06:55 AM
One issue is everyone is a flipper. No one buys, or very few buy to keep for the long haul. So just about everyone wants to be a 50 dollar profiteer.

Another issue is pride in ownership.. there is very little of that these days.

Lastly.. people are not building collections. 2-3 cues is more common than 10-15. This is half economy and half people are not into collecting. The younger generation doesn't see the benefit of collecting.

Which is ironic, since there are so many 20 somethings going around with their cell phones trying to catch imaginary cartoon monsters....

JV

John