PDA

View Full Version : 9 ball break - which side for which hand?

limache
06-18-2017, 04:03 AM
So when breaking from the rails, which side should you go for if you're right handed? Does it matter?

Is there any benefit to breaking center ?

Also is there any strategy if you want to pocket the two balls behind the one? I play in a handicap tournament sometimes and if I get the handicap I would get either the 7 or 8 and I have to put them behind the 1 as a rule to make it harder to pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87673)

hang-the-9
06-20-2017, 07:30 AM
So when breaking from the rails, which side should you go for if you're right handed? Does it matter?

Is there any benefit to breaking center ?

Also is there any strategy if you want to pocket the two balls behind the one? I play in a handicap tournament sometimes and if I get the handicap I would get either the 7 or 8 and I have to put them behind the 1 as a rule to make it harder to pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87673)

In 9 ball the balls you can "aim" to pocket are the 1 and the two corner balls. The balls behind the 1 will not have a set pocket you can try to make them in. That break is for 8 ball and 10 ball.

Where to break from depends on the rack and the table. I suggest you get the Racking Secrets video by Joe Tucker. Normally for a right handed person the break spot would be from the left side, but I feel more comfortable breaking from the right myself.

Standard rack vs template rack makes a big difference where you will break from. With a template rack, medium to soft break from the side will pretty much guarantee the wing ball going in if hit head on.

If having to give up balls in a handicap, especially in a tournament, they should not count on the break. I would never play with an extra ball being counted on the break and would fight to keep that extra ball spot be a called shot so you can't win by accidentally making that or the 9. Having the 9 be wild is bad enough in most rules.

donuteric
06-20-2017, 07:33 AM

In theory, right-handed players should break from the left and vice versa for left-handed players. This gives you some rooms to move your body forward.