PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think is the most naturally talented pro?

Magyar19
07-27-2017, 09:31 PM
You know, a pro that can pack his sticks in his closet for months or years and still give anyone on Earth trouble. I'd give my answer but I admittedly don't know much about the pros.

RailBird's
07-27-2017, 09:42 PM
Justin Bergman

Brags
07-27-2017, 09:43 PM
Strickland
Shaw

Baxter
07-27-2017, 09:53 PM
Not a pro, but Austin Murphy. Anyone who has ever known the kid or seen him plays knows what I'm talking about.

skip100
07-27-2017, 09:58 PM
Shaw and Wu look like the most naturally gifted current top players.

marek
07-27-2017, 10:02 PM
Well i have these three on my list:
1) Wu
2) Joshua Filler
3) Vilmos Foldes
There are MANY super-talented players but these three have shown their insane talent at very young age. Of course probably the most talented player of our time is Wu who became double world champion by the age of 16,you just cant beat that :) Joshua was killing his opponents at Eurotour at the age of 11 and won China Open at the age of 19, Vilmos began to tour european tournaments at the age of 12 i believe,became world junior champion at the age of 18 and bronze medalist at world championships in mens division at the age of 22. Another notables would be Albin Ouschan, Chang Jun Lin, Yang Shin Sun...too many to name them :eek:
But it is Wu who proved your point, he didnt play pool for several years because of life circumstances (military service, leukemia, international ban by chinese taipei federation..yet he was able to return to the very top of the international pool circuit.So yeah, it is Wu for me.

Brags
07-27-2017, 10:04 PM
Not a pro, but Austin Murphy. Anyone who has ever known the kid or seen him plays knows what I'm talking about.

Come on lol...let's be real here.

greyghost
07-27-2017, 10:09 PM
Mark Tadd could probably come back tomorrow and scare the bejesus outa half the planet

tbayplayer
07-27-2017, 10:09 PM
Alex Pagulayan and he does disappear from time to time

Brags
07-27-2017, 10:12 PM
Alex Pagulayan and he does disappear from time to time

Nope. The question is most talented not most learned. From the current crop Shaw looks to be one of the most naturally talented.

Brags
07-27-2017, 10:18 PM
Justin Bergman

Even Justin wouldn't agree with you.

I've gambled with Dennis a few years ago he gave me the 8 playing 10 ball on 9ft only time we've played. He's my friend, haven't gambled since. I played Warren Kiamco and few others. I think Filipinos, Tawainese, & Chinese are by far the best players in world. I would love to play them because I know it would make me better. I couldn't care less about playing the Challenge of Champions, World 9 Ball, etc. World 9 Ball 10 years ago when Matchroom ran it for sure I'd love too. They made it exciting & it paid good... Now it's a joke... Half the people in it shouldn't even be allowed in a pro tournament.

tbayplayer
07-27-2017, 10:19 PM
Nope. The question is most talented not most learned. From the current crop the only player I see that has talent like myself would be Shaw.

Yep. He is most talented as in he can play any game.

jasonlaus
07-27-2017, 10:24 PM
Mark Tadd could probably come back tomorrow and scare the bejesus outa half the planet

Didnt he come out and play not long ago?

boogeyman
07-27-2017, 10:29 PM

You are all off base.
Think Rodney Morris.
When he started playing (I mean from the get-go, folks), he could make balls naturally.
His aim was so damn natural, you wondered why it took him almost seven years to win a major event.
Well, I imagine all the time he spent in Hawaiian Brians back in the day was spent practicing moves and getting ready for the road.

Rodney Morris. The most naturally talented pool player of our day. Bar none. IMO

Brags
07-27-2017, 10:30 PM
You are all off base.
Think Rodney Morris.
When he started playing (I mean from the get-go, folks), he could make balls naturally.
His aim was so damn natural, you wondered why it took him almost seven years to win a major event.
Well, I imagine all the time he spent in Hawaiian Brians back in the day was spent practicing moves and getting ready for the road.

Rodney Morris. The naturally talented pool player of our day.

yep...Morris...Strickland...Shaw...how did I forget about Rodney? lol...best dressed too.

tashworth19191
07-27-2017, 10:45 PM
I think Corey Duel, yes he studies the game but uses unorthodox methods to do things that others don't. For instance the soft break, look where the rack is on pro tournaments now - partly due to him.

JoeyInCali
07-27-2017, 10:59 PM
You know, a pro that can pack his sticks in his closet for months or years and still give anyone on Earth trouble. I'd give my answer but I admittedly don't know much about the pros.

That used to be Parica in his younger days.
He'd drive to a tournament after not hitting the balls for months.
Then win it.
Heck, he'd win on a borrowed stick.

Today, maybe Alex or Ko Pin Yi.

LAMas
07-27-2017, 11:06 PM
Efren Reyes

pt109
07-27-2017, 11:16 PM
I have never defined the term 'natural' to myself satisfactorily....

We had a kid up here, years ago, who was a world class snooker player at 18.
He always treated people nicely...but he complained to me privately....
"Another one just called me a natural...if he hit as many balls as I have, he'd be a natural too."

Cujopro
07-28-2017, 12:13 AM
Hands down would have to be Rodney "The Rocket" Morris.

Was away from the game for numerous years after winning the U.S Open back in 96. Still came back and played great . Making it into the BCA hall of fame . One of the few players that throughout their career has played effortlessly .

Probably the most natural talented player over the last 20-25 years

hotelyorba
07-28-2017, 12:14 AM
I often wonder how many of those naturally talented players there are around the world. Just in the town where I live (Eastern Holland) where pool is not really that big, I know of two players who could just run rack after rack purely on feel alone.

They were around 15 years ago, but still - if that's two in a mediocre town in Holland, then there's gotta be lots and lots more like that around the world. Players you never hear about, who never play in any really big (international) tournaments.

jasonlaus
07-28-2017, 12:25 AM
Keith McCready, cause JAM said so! And also cause we get to see his comeback soon. Goodluck Keith, destroy the field!!!
Jason

wayne
07-28-2017, 12:58 AM

Yes, Mark Tadd has played a few times since retiring. Recently, he played in the 2016 Derby City Classic. In banks, one pocket and 9 ball he played 12 matches and won 6 and lost 6. He would really have to devote himself to get back to where he used to be.

prpavi
07-28-2017, 01:46 AM
Bustamante, nobody but a natural can have that stroke and be a world champ

gxman
07-28-2017, 02:24 AM
Wu was a world champ at 16. I think later he had to join the military and also had cancer I believe.

Now still dominating.

Cracktherack
07-28-2017, 05:07 AM
The only one I wanted to see under my Christmas tree is Jasmin Ouschan.

LHP5
07-28-2017, 05:15 AM
Naturally gifted? Probably Earl Strickland. If you look past the craziness and address pure talent and shot making, it's Earl. Think about it, he's like close to 60 now with other problems and he can still complete.

deanoc
07-28-2017, 05:19 AM
Mark tad was really a great player when I saw him in Las vegas,but keith mc cdedie

impressed me as being a pure natural phenomena

I hope both guys make comebacks

Black-Balled
07-28-2017, 05:35 AM

And it was with Jesus, not bejesus.

jasonlaus
07-28-2017, 05:38 AM
The only one I wanted to see under my Christmas tree is Jasmin Ouschan.

Jennifer B will always be the hottest female player, glad we don't have to argue:cool:
Jason

Black-Balled
07-28-2017, 06:03 AM
I agree...by the time one becomes pro level, he has destroyed any evidence of 'natural talent'.

I have never defined the term 'natural' to myself satisfactorily....

We had a kid up here, years ago, who was a world class snooker player at 18.
He always treated people nicely...but he complained to me privately....
"Another one just called me a natural...if he hit as many balls as I have, he'd be a natural too."

Taxi
07-28-2017, 08:46 AM
He's been dead for about 20 years, but my choice would be Nick Vlahos. He was running racks on a 5 x 10 in Washington when he was 14, both 9 ball and one pocket.

Jaden
07-28-2017, 09:55 AM

This is really kind of a silly question.

Unless you have seen someone from when they start until now, you have no idea how much of their ability is a natural talent and how much is marked dedication.

I'll tell you one thing. There are ZERO pro level players who at one time in their life didn't eat drink and sleep pool for an extended time and virtually every top player had a mentor who KNEW the game inside and out.

Sorry for the rant, I just hate when people ask about natural talent, because really there's no such thing. No one has ever excelled to the highest level of anything without dedication and hard work and attainment of knowledge.

While there may be rare exceptions of people who have no idea how they do what they do, they still understand and know strategy and they put in tons of work to get where they are.

Jaden

dearnold
07-28-2017, 10:14 AM
Strickland, of course. Pro snooker, O'Sullivan.

Danimal
07-28-2017, 11:13 AM
Dennis Hatch has incredible natural talent. Guy is in the finals of the US Open at 19 or 20 years old, and narrowly lost to Buddy Hall. He's also a 330-odd runner in 14.1.

I recall an interview with John Morra where he said DH was his favorite player.

Quesports
07-28-2017, 11:16 AM
I immediately thought of Rodney Morris. jmo, fwiw.....

westcoast
07-28-2017, 11:19 AM
I agree with the sentiments about Earl, Shaw, and Morris. All 3 of those guys make pool look so easy

klone
07-28-2017, 11:57 AM
IMO Efren Reyes... Einstein changed how we see physics, Jordan changed how we see basketball, and Reyes changes how we see pool...

Kris_b1104
07-28-2017, 12:50 PM
John Schmidt. Started playing pool at the late age of 18 and became pro in a short time. That is rare and almost unheard of.

pt109
07-28-2017, 12:55 PM
John Schmidt. Started playing pool at the late age of 18 and became pro in a short time. That is rare and almost unheard of.

Not that rare when you consider that JS was an excellent golfer....golf knowledge gives
one a big head start on other beginners...for one thing, ball sense.

dogginda9
07-28-2017, 01:17 PM
For the Midwesterners: Jesse Bowman and Larry Nevel.

Cornerman
07-28-2017, 03:03 PM
Might as well join in the weirdness:

Dennis Hatch
George Breedlove

jalapus logan
07-28-2017, 03:43 PM
Shannon daullton would probably fit this description. Never practices as far as I know and still plays great. Pretty sure he had been dormant for a while before facing Efren in the finals at Galveston several years ago. One of the straighest strokes out there.

garczar
07-28-2017, 03:54 PM
Hard to answer unless you saw them from the time they started. Natural to me implies they took to the game like a duck to H20 and played at a high-level quick. I know that Billy Thorpe was in action when he was like 11-12. That's probably a combo of talent and obsessive play. Keith was another prodigy but like Billy, Keith parlayed talent and drive to get on top. Kinda the universal "get good" formula isn't it? Some talent and the ol' half-million balls.

Baxter
07-28-2017, 05:08 PM
Come on lol...let's be real here.

Must have never known him. Definitely one of the most naturally gifted players I've ever seen. Hardly ever practiced and became Junior National Champion. He'll always be one of the big "what if" guys in pool.

Brags
07-28-2017, 05:20 PM
Must have never known him. Definitely one of the most naturally gifted players I've ever seen. Hardly ever practiced and became Junior National Champion. He'll always be one of the big "what if" guys in pool.

https://youtu.be/aKiLrvdReh8?t=2m33s

Interviewer: "How does he compare to Efren when Efren was 14 years old?"
Efren: "at 14 I think I think better than him."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfXcyRZE89k&feature=youtu.be

one stroke
07-28-2017, 05:30 PM
I'm going to throw a slider here and say Chezka Centeno 761 Fargo at 18 is pretty dam sporty

Ekojasiloop
07-28-2017, 06:27 PM
I think the best player is the most talented. As far as I'm concerned that's Dennis or maybe Alex.

Johnnyt
07-28-2017, 06:35 PM
Mr. 400. Johnnyt

one stroke
07-28-2017, 07:09 PM
I think the best player is the most talented. As far as I'm concerned that's Dennis or maybe Alex.

The most talented is a different subject, DO might work harder on his game than anyone on planet earth ,Alex however is on the list I believe,, another not mentioned is Corey has loads of natural talent I think in some aspects that's hindered him IMHO if he put in the time like say DO he might have been as good as there ever was

De420MadHatter
07-28-2017, 07:14 PM
Rodney Morris.

wahcheck
07-28-2017, 07:22 PM
The most naturally gifted players I have ever seen in my life were Earl and Rodney. Like somebody said, they make the game look easy. They both play like they were born for it.

O'SulliReyes
07-28-2017, 08:03 PM
It's got to be either Efren Reyes or Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Efren is the best pool player of all time, plays world-class/near world-class carom, and plays snooker at a high amateur-level standard. His best years according to him was when he was in his 20s, and that means he was already past his prime when he came to the US in the 1980s. The fact that he can still hang with the best players in the world today in his 60s says a lot. With the sheer amount of table knowledge and creativity he possesses, he will still be able to wipe the floor with shortstops well into his 70s.

And then you have Ronnie O'Sullivan. Made his first century break at 10; his first 147 at 15. Youngest ever ranking event winner at 17 years old. Holds the all-time record of 877 competitive century breaks as well as most competitive 147 breaks (13). His most notable achievement to me is his 147 break during the 1997 World Championships which he completed at 5 minutes and 20 seconds, a record no one will be able to break. He plays so fast because his position play is so good that he almost always ends up with easy shots.

What exactly are these two naturally talented at? Quite simply, Efren and Ronnie are the best when it comes to cueing through the ball consistently. Not only can they shoot very straight, but they can also get a lot of reaction from the cue ball with very minimal effort. Not only that, their table knowledge is unparalleled. Efren has the best pool brain and Ronnie has the best snooker brain.

RailBird's
07-28-2017, 08:06 PM
Even Justin wouldn't agree with you.

the question wasn't who the best is, it's who the most talented is. The answer is undoubtedly Justin Bergman

Brags
07-28-2017, 08:13 PM
the question wasn't who the best is, it's who the most talented is. The answer is undoubtedly Justin Bergman

You would put him up with the likes of Strickland, Osullivan, Morris, and Shaw?

greyghost
07-28-2017, 08:39 PM
Chan Whitt Jr. Rip
Tyler Strawn Rip

Shane McMinn

all boy wonders

between Shane and Tyler they had an ungodly amount of Jr's titles and Tyler got 4th in Spain and Shane got 3rd in Japan repectively. Shanes placing is the highest of any american in world Jrs. Both were 10 speeds in tulsa by their teenage years and were matching up and holding their own and beating top players and road agents.

Tylers still the most "natural" player i've ever seen in my short time on earth.

Tho again like a few have mentioned natural has alot of grey area as both Shane and Tyler probably hit a million balls already by the time they were teens....

Shane reminds me alot of Alex.....light hearted but sometimes lacks a little cold hearted seriousness a la Crane......its been awesome to see him continue to grow as a player and a person, he definately has what it takes to be one of the worlds best if he wants it to be in my opinion.

-Greyghost

greyghost
07-28-2017, 09:23 PM
It's got to be either Efren Reyes or Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Efren is the best pool player of all time, plays world-class/near world-class carom, and plays snooker at a high amateur-level standard. His best years according to him was when he was in his 20s, and that means he was already past his prime when he came to the US in the 1980s. The fact that he can still hang with the best players in the world today in his 60s says a lot. With the sheer amount of table knowledge and creativity he possesses, he will still be able to wipe the floor with shortstops well into his 70s.

And then you have Ronnie O'Sullivan. Made his first century break at 10; his first 147 at 15. Youngest ever ranking event winner at 17 years old. Holds the all-time record of 877 competitive century breaks as well as most competitive 147 breaks (13). His most notable achievement to me is his 147 break during the 1997 World Championships which he completed at 5 minutes and 20 seconds, a record no one will be able to break. He plays so fast because his position play is so good that he almost always ends up with easy shots.

What exactly are these two naturally talented at? Quite simply, Efren and Ronnie are the best when it comes to cueing through the ball consistently. Not only can they shoot very straight, but they can also get a lot of reaction from the cue ball with very minimal effort. Not only that, their table knowledge is unparalleled. Efren has the best pool brain and Ronnie has the best snooker brain.

If we're going off those qualities then it would have to be Worst by a light year.

Owns the 3cushion world title for 15 years or what not then just switches to pool and destroys everyone.

Then dies at 37.....if he lived nominal age he'd be a house hold name like mosconi effren and earl and Ronnie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

franko
07-28-2017, 09:33 PM
I think Corey Duel, yes he studies the game but uses unorthodox methods to do things that others don't. For instance the soft break, look where the rack is on pro tournaments now - partly due to him.

My choice also.

TxOnePocket
07-28-2017, 10:31 PM
Alan Hopkins gets looked over alot...

PocketSpeed11
07-28-2017, 10:34 PM
Nope. The question is most talented not most learned. From the current crop Shaw looks to be one of the most naturally talented.

Why are so many people thinking that Shaw is so naturally talented? His father was a pocket billiards pro and he has been playing since he was a little kid. Looks like a lot of hard work and excellent guidance to me.

"Natural" talent is actually quite controversial. Science has almost obliterated the concept when it pertains to most things. Of course, some people are better cognitively-equipped than others, but the key here is hard work.

But if I had to pick somebody, it would be somebody who attained an elite level rather quickly. I'm thinking somebody like a John Schmidt or Ginky.

Brags
07-28-2017, 11:32 PM
Why are so many people thinking that Shaw is so naturally talented? His father was a pocket billiards pro and he has been playing since he was a little kid. Looks like a lot of hard work and excellent guidance to me.

"Natural" talent is actually quite controversial. Science has almost obliterated the concept when it pertains to most things. Of course, some people are better cognitively-equipped than others, but the key here is hard work.

But if I had to pick somebody, it would be somebody who attained an elite level rather quickly. I'm thinking somebody like a John Schmidt or Ginky.

I think its shaws style of shooting...same with osullivan, rodney and even Earl...maybe the question should be whos the most fastest player...the answer Luc salvas :)

jayburger
07-29-2017, 01:50 AM
You are all off base.
Think Rodney Morris.

Rodney Morris. The most naturally talented pool player of our day. Bar none. IMO

You might be right.earl too.maybe why they were so good together

JAM
07-29-2017, 02:41 AM
Hard to answer unless you saw them from the time they started. Natural to me implies they took to the game like a duck to H20 and played at a high-level quick. I know that Billy Thorpe was in action when he was like 11-12. That's probably a combo of talent and obsessive play. Keith was another prodigy but like Billy, Keith parlayed talent and drive to get on top. Kinda the universal "get good" formula isn't it? Some talent and the ol' half-million balls.

Thanks for acknowledging Keith. He was a child prodigy in pool, was literally thrown into it as a young boy when his father used to gamble with him for his allowance. Keith's mentors growing up were Jimmy Reid, Cole Dickson, and Larry Lisciotti.

When he started beating all of them in ring games on Big Bertha, a snooker table, the other players banned him from playing, stating he was not 18 yet. :grin-square:

Everybody has their favorite player, I guess. Of course, mine is Keith McCready.

greyghost
07-29-2017, 04:18 AM
Thanks for acknowledging Keith. He was a child prodigy in pool, was literally thrown into it as a young boy when his father used to gamble with him for his allowance. Keith's mentors growing up were Jimmy Reid, Cole Dickson, and Larry Lisciotti.

When he started beating all of them in ring games on Big Bertha, a snooker table, the other players banned him from playing, stating he was not 18 yet. :grin-square:

Everybody has their favorite player, I guess. Of course, mine is Keith McCready.

Great pic jam! Ole side arm slim [emoji1]. You still working on Keith's book, girl?!?!? [emoji6]

smashmouth
07-29-2017, 05:36 AM
all time maybe Parica?

dude slaughtered everyone seemingly living a "Hangover...Mr Chow" lifestyle, pure hollywood

recently though, John Schmidt, dude barely plays, gathers sponsors from here for the US open and wins it, that's some more hollywood shit right there also.....winning US open alone is an accomplishment that has escaped scores of amazing players but from off the couch to the internet.....to winning the finals, incredible

Shaw is up there imo

a good litmus test imo for natural talent is the ability to return to form quickly after prolonged breaks, especially over the age of 30

this is a good question for other top pros

JAM
07-29-2017, 05:36 AM
Great pic jam! Ole side arm slim [emoji1]. You still working on Keith's book, girl?!?!? [emoji6]

Love this photo. :smiling-heart:

Book is on hold for a variety of reasons. When you read it, you will know why. :shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:

greyghost
07-29-2017, 05:39 AM

Book is on hold for a variety of reasons. When you read it, you will know why. :shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:

you just like his chest hair hahaha.

ID LOVE TO READ IT OF COURSE.....yes i'm hollering hahaha

garczar
07-29-2017, 05:43 AM

Book is on hold for a variety of reasons. When you read it, you will know why. :shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:Any idea what kind of weapon he's using there? Looks kinda like a TAD. That is a cool pic. BTW, i talked to D. Matlock not too long ago and he said hi to K.

chemrvos1972
07-29-2017, 05:52 AM
Quite a few old timers would make a case for Harold Worst.....never seen him play, but I heard none of the top players liked messing with him and he fired everything in!

greyghost
07-29-2017, 05:52 AM
Any idea what kind of weapon he's using there? Looks kinda like a TAD. That is a cool pic. BTW, i talked to D. Matlock not too long ago and he said hi to K.

coulda been a mop handle...probably wouldn't have mattered much heheehhee

JAM
07-29-2017, 05:53 AM
you just like his chest hair hahaha.

ID LOVE TO READ IT OF COURSE.....yes i'm hollering hahaha

How did you know Keith had chest hair? :grin-square:

No, actually, it's his skinny legs and all. :p

Best part about Keith, aside from his pool shooting capabilities, is that he has a big heart. Truly does. He'd take the shirt off his back to help another, if need be.

JAM
07-29-2017, 05:55 AM
Any idea what kind of weapon he's using there? Looks kinda like a TAD. That is a cool pic. BTW, i talked to D. Matlock not too long ago and he said hi to K.

Tell Matt that Keith says hi too. He loves Matt like a brother. Some AZB-ers a few years ago tried to pit Matt against Keith, as if there was some rivalry, which there is not. Both players respect each other's capabilities on a field of tournament blue or green. I've only met Matt a few times on the tournament trail, but each time, he was such a nice gentleman. Really nice guy! :)

Black-Balled
07-29-2017, 06:01 AM

I see Chris Bartram in the pic, blue hat, standing.

He hasn't aged a bit:confused:.

garczar
07-29-2017, 06:33 AM
Tell Matt that Keith says hi too. He loves Matt like a brother. Some AZB-ers a few years ago tried to pit Matt against Keith, as if there was some rivalry, which there is not. Both players respect each other's capabilities on a field of tournament blue or green. I've only met Matt a few times on the tournament trail, but each time, he was such a nice gentleman. Really nice guy! :)He's doin great. He works at Shooters and his wife is a t.v. personality in KC. He still plays a few tournaments when they roll thru and he also plays some 3c on their badass Gabriels table. I let him know K. said hey.

Pangit
07-29-2017, 07:15 AM
Torbjörn Blomdahl seems to be naturally talented, he must have inherited it from his dad. ;)

garczar
07-29-2017, 07:28 AM
Torbjörn Blomdahl seems to be naturally talented, he must have inherited it from his dad. ;)What's interesting about T.B. is he also excelled at pool according to what i've read. He's run over 100 in 14.1 and according to Wiki has beaten Efren. Now THAT's some talent.

garczar
07-29-2017, 08:00 AM
Harriman could well be on the list. I remember when he first came to Tulsa for a BilliardPalce event. He was just out of high-school and played STRONG. He plays all games at a pretty stout level: 3c, 14.1, banks, you name it.

LAMas
07-29-2017, 08:01 AM

He was so good that the gamblers would fly him out of LA to gamble when he was a teen...I heard.
Keith, Tadd and Parica made it real, inspiring and entertaining in LA back in the Hard Times haydays.:):thumbup:

Be well JAM and Keith.

Brags
07-29-2017, 08:06 AM
He was so good that the gamblers would fly him out of LA to gamble when he was a teen...I heard.
Keith, Tadd and Parica made it real, inspiring and entertaining in LA back in the Hard Times haydays.:):thumbup:

Be well JAM and Keith.

He would have been even better if somebody fixed his fundamentals. i tried side arm...take it from me its ok but will lead to misses. Earl always beat Kieth anyway.

easy-e
07-29-2017, 08:16 AM

He's definitely a good player. Acted like a total piece of s#it the few times I was around him. No respect at all for that little turd.

one stroke
07-29-2017, 08:39 AM

Ya and there are many who think the earth is flat also :eek:

Baxter
07-29-2017, 03:13 PM
He's definitely a good player. Acted like a total piece of s#it the few times I was around him. No respect at all for that little turd.

Oh definitely. He acts like a spoiled little *****, throws fits when things don't go his way. But talent-wise, he's up there. He never liked pool. Only played it because he was good at it. Imagine what he could have done if he liked pool, kept playing, and actually practiced. He could have been a top level pro no doubt.

Brags
07-29-2017, 04:53 PM
Oh definitely. He acts like a spoiled little *****, throws fits when things don't go his way. But talent-wise, he's up there. He never liked pool. Only played it because he was good at it. Imagine what he could have done if he liked pool, kept playing, and actually practiced. He could have been a top level pro no doubt.

https://youtu.be/ffizm2UtILU?t=1m22s
He practices every day...apparently that's the secret surprise surprise.

The media loves to hype up "prodigy's" for some reason. You get it in chess a lot...but it doesn't mean that they will continue on to success in the future. The Efren/Austin expedition was a spectacle put on by some promoter. Efren himself said he was better at the age of 14... here..
https://youtu.be/mfXcyRZE89k?t=1m21s

Baxter
07-29-2017, 09:12 PM
https://youtu.be/ffizm2UtILU?t=1m22s
He practices every day...apparently that's the secret surprise surprise.

The media loves to hype up "prodigy's" for some reason. You get it in chess a lot...but it doesn't mean that they will continue on to success in the future. The Efren/Austin expedition was a spectacle put on by some promoter. Efren himself said he was better at the age of 14... here..
https://youtu.be/mfXcyRZE89k?t=1m21s

You do realize that I'm from NorCal and have watched that kid play in person for a long time right?

Move along troll.

Brags
07-29-2017, 09:20 PM
You do realize that I'm from NorCal and have watched that kid play in person for a long time right?

Move along troll.

Ya so...just giving you the facts.

JAM
07-30-2017, 03:06 AM

Move along troll.

I'm not sure I got the right Murphy, but here is Austin, I think, in December 2015 at the IPT King of the Hill in Orlando, Florida. He was there with his father and his brother. His brother was kind of mean to Keith and myself for some reason. Never found out why, but their father was so very nice. He was proud as punch of Austin's accomplishments. Everybody was feeling the IPT dream with hope of a future in pool at that time.

At the IPT in Vegas in July of 2006, he almost beat Kid Delicious in a neck-and-neck battle to the finish, but Kid managed to pull off the win on a double hill match.

easy-e
07-30-2017, 05:51 AM
I'm not sure I got the right Murphy, but here is Austin, I think, in December 2015 at the IPT King of the Hill in Orlando, Florida. He was there with his father and his brother. His brother was kind of mean to Keith and myself for some reason. Never found out why, but their father was so very nice. He was proud as punch of Austin's accomplishments. Everybody was feeling the IPT dream with hope of a future in pool at that time.

At the IPT in Vegas in July of 2006, he almost beat Kid Delicious in a neck-and-neck battle to the finish, but Kid managed to pull off the win on a double hill match.

I never liked his brother either. That kinda stinks that he'd be mean to a living legend (and Keith!).

one stroke
07-30-2017, 06:00 AM
He would have been even better if somebody fixed his fundamentals. i tried side arm...take it from me its ok but will lead to misses. Earl always beat Kieth anyway.

That's because you don't have any skills

Brags
07-30-2017, 06:12 AM
That's because you don't have any skills

Kieth was ok in an era of terrible fundamentals...

Jaden
07-30-2017, 06:41 AM
Kieth was ok in an era of terrible fundamentals...

This is the first time I'm actually considering putting someone on the ignore list. Do you have to comment on every single thread with inanity?

Jaden

Brags
07-30-2017, 07:31 AM
This is the first time I'm actually considering putting someone on the ignore list. Do you have to comment on every single thread with inanity?

Jaden

I was responding to somebody responding to me.

one stroke
07-30-2017, 07:53 AM
I was responding to somebody responding to me.

Oh is that what that was ,, I thought it was ballyhoo

tonyboy59
08-02-2017, 10:41 AM
Here are a few that come to mind that I've gotten to see over the years and made it look so easy...

No Particular order:

Michael Coltrain
Corey Duel
Kim Davenport
Keith McCready
Stevie Moore
Russ Trudeau
Tony Ellin (deceased)

Island Drive
08-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Earl the Pearl....Sorry for the LARGE pic. It's right after he'd run 10 racks in a row at CJ's in Dallas.

westcoast
08-02-2017, 11:04 AM
Here are a few that come to mind that I've gotten to see over the years and made it look so easy...

No Particular order:

CJ Wiley
Michael Coltrain
Corey Duel
Kim Davenport
Keith McCready
Stevie Moore
Tony Ellin (deceased)
I haven't seen Stevie Moore in any tournaments in a while. Does anybody know if he still plays? I had the pleasure of talking to him at Hard Times a few years ago. Very nice guy.

Koop
08-02-2017, 11:33 AM
I would have to say:
Alex P
Rodney M
Hopefully Keith M after the upcoming tournament.

RichSchultz
08-02-2017, 11:35 AM
Skyler for sure

RailBird's
08-02-2017, 12:06 PM
Skyler for sure

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao: :rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotfl mao1::rotflmao1:

RichSchultz
08-02-2017, 12:22 PM
:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao: :rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotfl mao1::rotflmao1:
Wow...50 posts in and, newbie, you're laughing at people's opinions? Great 1st impression.

Skyler because he obviously started verrrry young. Had to be natural talent there.

RailBird's
08-02-2017, 12:40 PM
Wow...50 posts in and, newbie, you're laughing at people's opinions? Great 1st impression.

Skyler because he obviously started verrrry young. Had to be natural talent there.

Do you always speak whether you know what you are talking about or not?

RichSchultz
08-02-2017, 01:09 PM
listen here newbie troll. try hitting a reset button and being nice.

tonyboy59
08-02-2017, 04:36 PM
listen here newbie troll. try hitting a reset button and being nice.

Newbie?? You only joined less than five months earlier than this guy. Maybe he only posts when there is something that interests him?

RichSchultz
08-02-2017, 04:43 PM
Newbie?? You only joined less than five months earlier than this guy. Maybe he only posts when there is something that interests him?
ok, that's cool....guess someone who posts on here just to make fun of others every few years is normal for this place. I forgot how toxic this forum can be. Thanks for reminding me.

easy-e
08-02-2017, 05:31 PM
ok, that's cool....guess someone who posts on here just to make fun of others every few years is normal for this place. I forgot how toxic this forum can be. Thanks for reminding me.

Pump your brakes, bro. This forum has a lot of cool people. Just have to learn to ignore the ones you don't want to hear from. You came out guns blazing against this dude.

MattPoland
08-02-2017, 08:51 PM
The question is tough. Natural talent to me means how quickly you can fall into good habits while everyone else is struggling in all the common traps. It's a head start. But your brain isn't capable of being professional on natural talent alone. Long hours building muscle memory and learning equalizes natural talent. The question could be, who built that talent fastest? Who took it furthest? Who is most consistent? Who is most creative? Who's getting results right now? Who is the most promising?

But the question in the OP seems to be who could take a long break and come back looking like they never missed a beat? I don't think that is natural talent. I think it is just less atrophy in muscle memory. Perhaps because they originally strengthened their synapses deeper than most. Perhaps it simply means they're better at hiding in the lab, practicing efficiently, and reclaiming their skills when off the world stage and coming back looking like they never dipped because you didn't watch them rebuild. However it's done, my opinion would be Alex.

franko
08-03-2017, 04:46 AM
Frankie Hernandez is loaded with natural talent.