PDA

View Full Version : nickel or dime tip radius

Shooter1
07-28-2017, 08:05 AM
Do you prefer a nickel or dime tip radius, and why?

The reason I ask is about 8 months ago I bought a used shaft from a guy and it had a Kamui SS clear on it. I really liked the way it hit so I had them mounted on two other extra shafts. The installer put a dime radius on them. I've always played with something closer to a nickel but I've played with them for some time now and like everything about them except I've noticed that when the cue ball is stuck on the rail, I will miss-cue, (slide off the top of the ball) more often.
I almost never used to do that. I keep the tip maintained so it holds chalk and have even started to consciously raise the butt of the cue more on shots when the CB is frozen on the rail but I didn't seem to have to do this in the past.

I'm wondering if the change in tip radius may be a factor here. The OD on these shafts is about 12.7mm.

What radius do you all prefer in general, and any particular reason why?

Thanks.

Moet.1977
07-28-2017, 08:24 AM
Depending on what game I'm playing, if I'm playing bank pool I use my shaft with a nickel tip. I seem to do alot better at Bank with it.

If I'm playing 1 hole I like my tip between dime and nickel.

mchnhed
07-28-2017, 08:26 AM
I like my tip between dime and nickel.
Isn't that a Penny?

dr_dave
07-28-2017, 08:28 AM
Do you prefer a nickel or dime tip radius, and why?
What radius do you all prefer in general, and any particular reason why?The short answer is: It really doesn't matter.

For the long answer, see the quotes and diagrams from Patrick Johnson on the tip size and shape (http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/cue_tip.html#size) resource page.

Enjoy,
Dave

Shooter1
07-28-2017, 10:10 AM
Thanks for that link Dave, that was a good read. I think my tips are fine at a dime rad. I just need to be more disciplined when shooting off the rail.

Moet.1977
07-28-2017, 10:13 AM
Isn't that a Penny?

That's funny I actually got little chuckle out it . Thanks..

Bavafongoul
07-28-2017, 11:13 AM
Nickel for playing pool.....dime shape for playing 3 cushion......I have a few cue shafts just for billiards play.

pt109
07-28-2017, 12:51 PM
The short answer is: It really doesn't matter.

For the long answer, see the quotes and diagrams from Patrick Johnson on the tip size and shape (http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/cue_tip.html#size) resource page.

Enjoy,
Dave

A little empirical evidence here in my experience, Doc...I'll leave the science to you.

I can do some fancy spin shots...like the Jimmy Moore one that Massey has made well known.
I NEED a dime shaped tip to do it.....and I've tried, with little success, with the nickel shape.
I figure with the nickel shape, the back pressure from the cue ball is conentrated to close
to the edge of the shaft....thus creating a weaker hit.
When I use dime shape, the power is closer to the center of the shaft, therefore giving me
the power to do the shot.

So for years, when someone hands me a cue to do it, I look at the tip...if it is too flat, I tell
them I can't do it....this applies to snooker cues also....although with a typical British
tapered snooker cue, (too strong), I can't do it no matter what shape the tip is.

KMRUNOUT
07-28-2017, 02:20 PM

Enjoy,
Dave

The question was "what do you prefer?", not what is better. I think what you prefer matters quite a lot.

KMRUNOUT

dr_dave
07-28-2017, 02:36 PM
The question was "what do you prefer?", not what is better. I think what you prefer matters quite a lot.Good point. Being a pool-playing engineer, I almost always prefer what is better.

As pointed out on the cue tip size and shape (http://billiards.colostate.edu/FAQ/cue-tip/size-and-shape/) resource page, a flatter tip is better in certain ways; but in general, a rounder tip is better, so I prefer a dime radius over a nickel radius. Although, as the resource page also points out, there really isn't a meaningful geometric difference between a nickel and dime radius (in relation to the CB), so what I prefer really doesn't matter much (to me, anyway).

Regards,
Dave

jalapus logan
07-28-2017, 02:44 PM
Joe Blackburn put a "dickel" radius on my tip one year at the dcc, lol. I swear, I don't have a clue which is better. Just adapt to whatever is on there.

Johnny Rosato
07-28-2017, 03:31 PM
That's funny I actually got little chuckle out it . Thanks..
Chuckle hell, I laughed out loud!

mchnhed
07-28-2017, 03:50 PM
Chuckle hell, I laughed out loud!

That's funny I actually got little chuckle out it . Thanks.
Isn't that a Penny?

I've contacted Willards about doing a .386 Champ Penny Shaper.

Nickle is .415
Penny is .386
Dime is .358

SARDiver
07-28-2017, 04:03 PM
I like a nickle shape. Forgiving, but able to put effects on the cueball when needed.

Dead Money
07-28-2017, 11:31 PM
My cue tips are shaped with a car wash token radius!

jtompilot
07-29-2017, 05:17 AM
I like a nickle shape. Forgiving, but able to put effects on the cueball when needed.

"effects" SARDiver where are you from? I've only heard that term used in Columbia. I've never been across the pond though:)

bbb
07-29-2017, 09:30 AM
"effects" SARDiver where are you from? I've only heard that term used in Columbia. I've never been across the pond though:)

all the spanish language 3 cushion references i have from all the countries use efecto "effects" to mean "english" on the cueball

mchnhed
07-29-2017, 10:29 AM
Isn't that close to a Quarter?

Half Dollar is .602
Quarter is .477
Nickle is .415
Penny is .386
Dime is .358

pt109
07-29-2017, 10:34 AM

It's perfect for humid conditions.

TILT9
07-29-2017, 11:18 AM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about? :boring2:

Dead Money
07-29-2017, 11:02 PM

Half Dollar is .602
Quarter is .477
Nickle is .415
Penny is .386
Dime is .358

Yup, though most of the ones I have seen are slightly larger than a quarter.

EtDM
07-30-2017, 08:41 AM

Isn't that a Penny?

No. It's 7 1/2.

mchnhed
07-30-2017, 08:53 AM
No. It's 7 1/2.

Isn't that a Penny?

[QUOTE=Moet.1977;5934881
I like my tip between dime and nickel.[/QUOTE]

What's the radius for 7-1/2 cents?

ceebee
07-31-2017, 08:05 AM

Enjoy,
Dave

Dr Dave,, I would like to ask you a question.

When I was young, the old man that repaired cues & put on cue tips at the Pool Hall would talk about playing Pool & Cue Sticks. He also talked to me about the tip radius.

This is what he said. The smaller the tip radius, possibly the more squirt you will have. He also said that a flat tip is great for shooting straight, but obviously won't work for applying English. He also said that the radius of one ball hitting the same radius on the other ball works quite well, maybe that radius on a cue tip should be looked into.

This was in the 60's. he taught me how to play Snooker. I used a house cue with 12.5 diameter tip that weighed 17 oz. The radius was larger than a nickel. I'm like any other old man that worked for a living, I don't have the time or equipment to try all this stuff, but you might like to try this.

mchnhed
07-31-2017, 08:19 AM
That tip radius would be 1.125" (cue ball is 2.25").
That would be...
Almost Three times as flat as a nickle tip.

Half Dollar is .602
Quarter is .477
Nickle is .415
Penny is .386
Dime is .358

Dr Dave,, I would like to ask you a question.

When I was young, the old man that repaired cues & put on cue tips at the Pool Hall would talk about playing Pool & Cue Sticks. He also talked to me about the tip radius.

This is what he said. The smaller the tip radius, possibly the more squirt you will have. He also said that a flat tip is great for shooting straight, but obviously won't work for applying English. He also said that the radius of one ball hitting the same radius on the other ball works quite well, maybe that radius on a cue tip should be looked into.

This was in the 60's. he taught me how to play Snooker. I used a house cue with 12.5 diameter tip that weighed 17 oz. The radius was larger than a nickel. I'm like any other old man that worked for a living, I don't have the time or equipment to try all this stuff, but you might like to try this.

dr_dave
07-31-2017, 08:21 AM
Dr Dave, I would like to ask you a question.

This is what he said. The smaller the tip radius, possibly the more squirt you will have.That is true only if you are applying more sidespin with the smaller tip, intentionally or not. Some people unintentionally apply more sidespin with a smaller and rounder tip for some of the reasons on the shaft diameter effects (http://billiards.colostate.edu/FAQ/cue-tip/size-and-shape/) resource page.

He also said that a flat tip is great for shooting straightThat is correct, assuming you have straight aim and a straight stroke.

but obviously won't work for applying English.That is correct. If a tip were totally flat, sidespin would be difficult to apply. For more info on flatter vs. rounder, see the cue tip size and shape effects (http://billiards.colostate.edu/FAQ/cue-tip/size-and-shape/) resource page

He also said that the radius of one ball hitting the same radius on the other ball works quite well, maybe that radius on a cue tip should be looked into.Honestly, a ball hitting a ball has absolutely nothing to do with a tip hitting a ball, so that comparison is not really useful or appropriate. A CB-radius tip would be considered fairly flat by most people.

Regards,
Dave