PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a 9ft and a 7ft table in a room

Brags
07-28-2017, 11:08 AM
How wide does a room need to be to have a 9ft and a 7ft table? Length obviously just has to be enough for the 9ft

4.5 ft + 3.5 feet = 8 ft just to fit the tables...then 5 ft on each side and 5 ft in between them so 8 + 15 ft = 23 feet.

Sound about right give or take a foot?

JoseV
07-28-2017, 11:15 AM
Probably going to need at least five feet of distance from one table to the other table, I would say maybe a 30x30 room ?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Brags
07-28-2017, 11:19 AM
Probably going to need at least five feet of distance from one table to the other table, I would say maybe a 30x30 room ?

Ya but remember you are cueing over the other table so gain some space that way...unless you want to have people playing on both tables of course which would be annoying. This is assuming you are not going to have people playing on both tables at the same time.

JoseV
07-28-2017, 11:27 AM
You're stance is another thing you can think about as well, the other table can interfere with that.

xianmacx
07-28-2017, 11:31 AM
Send a PM to Jack Zimmerman and Todd. I think they just did the exact same thing. :)

Brags
07-28-2017, 11:34 AM
You're stance is another thing you can think about as well, the other table can interfere with that.

Yes...that's why I gave 5 ft in between the two tables...if somebodies stance takes up 5 ft they would practically be doing the splits. Most stances are what....3 ft?

jimmyco
07-28-2017, 11:47 AM
Depending on how the room is set up, you would need 23x19 or 26.5x19 or 27.5x17, allowing 5' between tables and each wall.

The last two options would be to have the tables set perpendicular rather than parallel.

fastone371
07-28-2017, 11:49 AM
Yes...that's why I gave 5 ft in between the two tables...if somebodies stance takes up 5 ft they would practically be doing the splits. Most stances are what....3 ft?

It is not unusual for your rear foot to be 5 feet from the table. 5 feet between the tables is a little on the tight side, I think I could live with 6 feet between the tables

Brags
07-28-2017, 11:55 AM
It is not unusual for your rear foot to be 5 feet from the table. 5 feet between the tables is a little on the tight side, I think I could live with 6 feet between the tables

Ya maybe if you are 8 ft tall...5ft should be plenty for most players.

Brags
07-28-2017, 12:00 PM
Depending on how the room is set up, you would need 23x19 or 26.5x19 or 27.5x17, allowing 5' between tables and each wall.

The last two options would be to have the tables set perpendicular rather than parallel.

Yes so parallel then 23ft wide would just about do it....

garczar
07-28-2017, 12:12 PM
Brags, you actually lower yourself and play on a bar-box? Reason i ask is they were designed to make the game easier and more accessible. Doesn't that violate your credo/moral compass as far as making the game easier? You're really starting to disappoint all of us who are just now coming to grips with your zealous/fanatical approach.

Brags
07-28-2017, 12:14 PM
Brags, you actually lower yourself and play on a bar-box? Reason i ask is they were designed to make the game easier and more accessible. Doesn't that violate your credo/moral compass as far as making the game easier? You're really starting to disappoint all of us who are just now coming to grips with your zealous/fanatical approach.

8 ball on a 7ft (Diamond preferably) is a great game. Also, that's what all the tournaments are being played on now. Also, believe it or not I'm single....so I could put both right in my living room.

Black-Balled
07-28-2017, 12:27 PM
Tables can be far closer to each other than to a structural obstruction.
Often times, our front foot is under the table when we're shooting. Rear foot can go under neighboring table. As mentikned earlier here, cue travel is a non-issue.

And, your butt can perch on a neigboring table's rail.

Not sure where you all play, but sq' must be cheap, coz around me, tables are pretty close. Id estimate span to be closer to 4'

Brags
07-28-2017, 12:32 PM
Check out my last set up...taught me not to leave the cueball on the rail. I could basically use a full size cue most of the time if I left the cueball 2 ft from a rail, or it lined up with the closet, the hallway, one of the patio doors, or cueing over top the kitchen Island. Oh and I think once it lined up with that hole in the wall where the old tv mount was...I had to raise the tv obviously.

The room was basically 12x15 on an angle.

DaveK
07-28-2017, 12:55 PM
... Also, believe it or not I'm single....

I believe it. Fairly young too I imagine.

Dave

pt109
07-28-2017, 01:07 PM
I believe it. Fairly young too I imagine.

Dave

He's not nearly as good as he thinks he is, either....
..Brags actually thinks a Black Crown outta Quebec plays like a Diamond. :confused::confused:

Brags
07-28-2017, 01:14 PM
..Brags actually thinks a Black Crown outta Quebec plays like a Diamond. :confused::confused:

It does for me an Mika anyway...it has 860 simonas. I play on a Diamond Pro Am all the time. We have a pool hall that is all 9ft Pro Am, and another one that is all Diamond 7ft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87GbslLl7kA

FuManchu
07-28-2017, 02:08 PM
8 ball on a 7ft (Diamond preferably) is a great game. Also, that's what all the tournaments are being played on now. Also, believe it or not I'm single....so I could put both right in my living room.

Trust me, we all knew you were single! Having a wife or girlfriend is kind of like having a low deflection shaft. We all know that you arent about to take the easy route. Enjoy the pool tables in your living room and im sure we will all see you on ESPN one day very soon.

Brags
07-28-2017, 02:22 PM
Trust me, we all knew you were single! Having a wife or girlfriend is kind of like having a low deflection shaft. We all know that you arent about to take the easy route. Enjoy the pool tables in your living room and im sure we will all see you on ESPN one day very soon.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

pt109
07-28-2017, 02:48 PM
It does for me an Mika anyway...it has 860 simonas. I play on a Diamond Pro Am all the time. We have a pool hall that is all 9ft Pro Am, and another one that is all Diamond 7ft

2006...Ralf Souquet and Marcus Chamat played in Toronto in a good tournament that Jim
Wych was doing...they were playing with balls and cloth that they were very familiar with..
..860 Simonis and Aramith tournament balls....but the tables were Black Crowns.

..they looked like they had landed on the moon...didn't know where whitey was going.
I don't think they cashed...and didn't play one of our pros ( I think)
Alex won the tournament without being threatened.

The banks on a Black Crown have a different reaction...you can normally use speed to
straighten a bank somewhat....well, if you increase the speed too much on these
tables..within a normal range...the bank goes wide instead of short.....
I feel that's because a Black Crown is substantially lighter than a Gold Crown or a
Diamond....a lighter table plays different.

pt109
07-28-2017, 02:56 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
BTW....the shipping weight of a Diamond 9-foot is 1433 lbs...
..the shipping weight of a Black Crown 9-foot is 997 lbs.

It would be impossible for the two tables to play the same.

Brags
07-28-2017, 02:57 PM
2006...Ralf Souquet and Marcus Chamat played in Toronto in a good tournament that Jim
Wych was doing...they were playing with balls and cloth that they were very familiar with..
..860 Simonis and Aramith tournament balls....but the tables were Black Crowns.

..they looked like they had landed on the moon...didn't know where whitey was going.
I don't think they cashed...and didn't play one of our pros ( I think)
Alex won the tournament without being threatened.

The banks on a Black Crown have a different reaction...you can normally use speed to
straighten a bank somewhat....well, if you increase the speed too much on these
tables..within a normal range...the bank goes wide instead of short.....
I feel that's because a Black Crown is substantially lighter than a Gold Crown or a
Diamond....a lighter table plays different.

These guys didn't have any practice time? Obviously it won't play exactly like a Diamond...every table plays different anyway...with diamond being the most consistent.

kid
07-28-2017, 02:59 PM
Are you saying an 8ft table will bank different than a 9ft just because it's lighter?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

pt109
07-28-2017, 03:11 PM
Are you saying an 8ft table will bank different than a 9ft just because it's lighter?

I have no idea.....no experience there.
...but I would think so....when a ball hits the rail at a good speed, the solidity factor has
to change the reaction, I would think.

Raymond Ceulemans, the great 3-cushion player, said that if you add a quarter inch to
the thickness of the slate, you add a full length to the table.

kid
07-28-2017, 03:38 PM
I own a table with 1" 3/16 thick slate and it plays just like the 1" thick of the same model and size... a lot more than slate thickness is involved when it comes to table speed and rails reaction.
-wood used
-rail fasteners
-cushions
-subrail geometry
-cloth
-temp and humidity
-railbolts torque
And the list goes on..

hang-the-9
07-28-2017, 03:53 PM
Ya maybe if you are 8 ft tall...5ft should be plenty for most players.

You need to be 8 foot tall to play without a bridge.

DaveK
07-28-2017, 03:53 PM

:eek: We have a great pool hall here, The Snooker Shack (owned and operated by Al Tirk, you may know Al, great guy who set up my Challenger but I digress :thumbup:), with a couple of 9' Black Crowns and 4 7' Diamonds .... the Diamonds mess me up when I don't play on them regularly (which is almost never, only a few weeks in league).

Take care my friend, and hope you have a great weekend.

Dave

DaveK
07-28-2017, 04:00 PM
You need to be 8 foot tall to play without a bridge.

So THAT's my problem :mad:

Dave <-- 5'5" and uses the rest when the cue ball is 1/2 of a 9' table from his stubby little arms :cool:

PS Of course I am Canadian, and grew up with snooker, where we not only use a rest a lot but sometimes have to find the SUPER-LONG rest & cue that every hall has somewhere .... typically on the far side of the room from where you are playing

PPS I have a long rest & cue from that was used on a 10' table in my collection of inane pool paraphernalia ... so I have that going for me ... which is nice :thumbup:

pt109
07-28-2017, 04:26 PM
:eek: We have a great pool hall here, The Snooker Shack (owned and operated by Al Tirk, you may know Al, great guy who set up my Challenger but I digress :thumbup:), with a couple of 9' Black Crowns and 4 7' Diamonds .... the Diamonds mess me up when I don't play on them regularly (which is almost never, only a few weeks in league).

Take care my friend, and hope you have a great weekend.

Dave

To me, David, your Challenger is legitimate competition for the Gold Crown....
....Dufferin's finest table.
If you ever have it re-rubbered, use the RKC/Diamond cut and you have a world class table.

Take care yourself, David....and watch out for bears...:)

kid
07-28-2017, 05:24 PM
As far as i know, the slates on the challenger are not even anchored to the frame. For me, the titan is the best table they designed

pt109
07-28-2017, 05:34 PM
As far as i know, the slates on the challenger are not even anchored to the frame. For me, the titan is the best table they designed

The early ones had a floating slate...like a snooker table....big mistake....
...but it was easily corrected by drilling.
...all the ones I know of had the slates anchored.

The Titan is a fine table also....but they cut a few corners.

kid
07-28-2017, 06:12 PM
I guess i've only worked on the early ones then. There's not many of them around here in Quebec. Thx for the info

Tony_in_MD
07-28-2017, 06:14 PM
Why didn't you get rid of the diamonds on your table?

Check out my last set up...taught me not to leave the cueball on the rail. I could basically use a full size cue most of the time if I left the cueball 2 ft from a rail, or it lined up with the closet, the hallway, one of the patio doors, or cueing over top the kitchen Island. Oh and I think once it lined up with that hole in the wall where the old tv mount was...I had to raise the tv obviously.

The room was basically 12x15 on an angle.

Tony_in_MD
07-28-2017, 06:17 PM
Jeeze Brags, notice how Mika had a cube of chalk on the rail where the CB landed for many of those shots?

You better tell him that he fouled!

Brags
07-28-2017, 06:32 PM
Why didn't you get rid of the diamonds on your table?

Same reason I haven't covered the keys on my keyboard....I never look at those either. In fact check out my previous DAS keyboard...too bad it didn't come in wireless or I'd still be using it. Great fun if people wanted to use your computer who couldn't touch type.

If I had the option I would order my Pro Am sans diamonds, so I could watch you diamond system wannabe's struggle the same way. :)

Anyway, aren't we getting off topic here? This thread is about fitting two tables in one room. :cool:

Black-Balled
07-28-2017, 06:50 PM
This theRead is about Canada, now.

Davek and pt...:thumbup::thumbup: whodathunkit

pt109
07-28-2017, 06:59 PM
This theRead is about Canada, now.

Davek and pt...:thumbup::thumbup: whodathunkit

Kid is a Canuck billiard mechanic also.....
...this all started 'cause the OP was BRAGging about a Black Crown.

Black-Balled
07-28-2017, 07:13 PM
Kid is a Canuck billiard mechanic also.....
...this all started 'cause the OP was BRAGging about a Black Crown.

I don't know that cat!

I am sure Yall is fine fellers, but I don't quite have the same history with one of you 3, ya know?

kid
07-28-2017, 08:57 PM
Back to Brags question:
4.5+3.5+(3x5) will get you just a little tight. A 9 footer will be between 60" and 64" wide depending on the rails width (50" + twice 5"to 7") same goes for the 7 footer..

Brags
07-28-2017, 09:03 PM
Back to Brags question:
4.5+3.5+(3x5) will get you just a little tight. A 9 footer will be between 60" and 64" wide depending on the rails width (50" + twice 5"to 7") same goes for the 7 footer..

True...I guess the only unknown is how much room will be needed between the tables to allow for a comfortable stance. We know how much room is needed from the rail to the wall. I would think 5ft would be ample.

kid
07-28-2017, 09:10 PM
5ft between the tables is good enough. Most pool halls have less than that.

Brags
07-28-2017, 10:18 PM
5ft between the tables is good enough. Most pool halls have less than that.

Ya cool. :cool: