PDA

View Full Version : question for league players... any player for that matter

lorider
07-29-2017, 08:09 AM
Have you ever seen a player just up and quit pool after an embarrassing loss.? Or the very least take a long hiatus ?

Brags
07-29-2017, 08:16 AM
Have you ever seen a player just up and quit pool after an embarrassing loss.? Or the very least take a long hiatus ?

I was at the bar recently and was winning...then the "house pro" wanted a piece of me so he plopped in the money...I broke and ran and he ran away somewhere.

Another time I couldn't find any action in the bar after I steamrolled their "best" guy...so started to offer to play left handed...still no takers.

lorider
07-29-2017, 08:19 AM
I was at the bar recently and was winning...then the "house pro" wanted a piece of me so he plopped in the money...I broke and ran and he ran away somewhere.

Another time I couldn't find any action in the bar after I steamrolled their "best" guy...so started to offer to play left handed...still no takers.

I am not talking about quitting a match. I am talking about quitting pool period.

gregnice37
07-29-2017, 08:24 AM

So the bar box isn't on your banned list, weird

De420MadHatter
07-29-2017, 08:36 AM
Me :grin:. Not sure how long your referring to, but I didnt play for about 6 months. Got beat 7-0, 7-0, by a guy I spot the 8 and the last 2, to. I had alot of shit on my mind at the time, and I figure it was best if I put the sticks down for awhile.

9Ballr
07-29-2017, 08:40 AM

Your user name makes perfect sense.

garczar
07-29-2017, 08:40 AM
I've quit for good at least 100 times!! :)

Brags
07-29-2017, 08:57 AM
Your user name makes perfect sense.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Brags
07-29-2017, 09:00 AM

Nothing wrong with bar boxes...for 8 ball anyway. :)

Brags
07-29-2017, 09:00 AM
I am not talking about quitting a match. I am talking about quitting pool period.

I don't know...maybe that one guy is still running. :grin:

Ghosst
07-29-2017, 09:01 AM

Not after one loss, usually after a string of them. Sometimes you just see the final straw but it's been a long time coming at that point.

Ghosst
07-29-2017, 09:02 AM

Where do you play out of? I use the rest BTW and I sometimes point to a spot on the table for mental reference. I also use the diamonds to gauge kicks. Buyer beware.

BRussell
07-29-2017, 09:05 AM

Seen 100 times: "that's it's, I'm never playing pool again, who wants to buy a Meucci and case"
Also seen 100 times: same guy, a month later, playing pool

garczar
07-29-2017, 09:08 AM
Seen 100 times: "that's it's, I'm never playing pool again, who wants to buy a Meucci and case"
Also seen 100 times: same guy, a month later, playing poolReminds me of the old golf story where the guy quits, throws his clubs in the pond and drowns goin' after'em. :)

chefjeff
07-29-2017, 09:29 AM

A friend of mine, long ago, was ahead 8-0 in a race to 9 at Shooters, against a very good semi-pro player.

He lost 8-9. It was one of the most horrible things I've witnessed. He just could not close out a game!

He quit and left town, even, after that. Not sure if that one incident did it, but never saw him play again and he was in the top 5 in our town at the time.

Jeff Livingston

BassMasterK
07-29-2017, 09:35 AM

Two times when I was playing a lot back in the late 80"s/early 90's. There were a bunch of us kids that were 16-22 that played a lot at different pool halls and we would all travel around to the neighboring halls and match up for cash.

First guy named Craig, he was a bit older than us, he used to play a lot at a local university and would come into our place once in a while. This guy had a huge ego and he loved to brag about how great he was at anything and everything. So we get in a match and I take him for $160 which for us was a big score. $50 would be a great day normally for us at that time. He had played on credit with me because he didn't have that much cash which was fine, we would do that with the guys we new occasionally. So a week later he comes in, walks over to my table and throws the cash down making a big scene and loudly announces that he is going to not only get his money back but take twice that off me. My friends all start moving chairs up on the rail because they know this should be good. 4 hours and many spots later he pulls up, down $280. It took him a few weeks to show back up with my cash and when he did he said he was done. His real sport was apparently bowling and he told me he wished I would gamble at bowling because he would wipe the floor with me, he had just bowled his second 200 game the other day. I don't know why I took pity on the guy but I did and told him he didn't want to gamble at bowling with me. I regularly bowled 200+ games at the bowling league my parents drug me to, and I had just bowled a 269 a few weeks earlier. He looked like I just kicked him in the junk, turned around and left and I never saw him again.

Other kid was a regular at our pool hall. He wasn't there all day every day like our core group but he was there alot. He got down $100 to one of my friends on credit. Accepted rule was you could come hang out but unless someone was paying your time you shouldn't be playing until you squared up. Apparently the kid was having trouble coming up with the money and couldn't stand not playing so he went to his dad. So I'm working the counter and this kids dad comes storming in and demands to see the owner. I go get him and the kids dad starts an angry conversation with the owner about how there is a bunch of gambling going on at the pool hall and how it is immoral and illegal and he could go to the authorities with this. The owner calmly tells him he can't stop people from making any agreements between themselves while playing. Well the dad gets riled up and starts asking if we know who he is? He is the national Pop-a-Shot champion. Apparently gambling is now acceptable because he starts loudly asking who want to play him in Pop-a-Shot for $100. The kid who had lost the money looked like he wanted to crawl in a hole. I point out we don't have a Pop-a-Shot and no one would want to play him if he was the national champion. He got a confused, then angry look on his face. He handed cash to his kid and yelled "Pay it off! YOU ARE RETIRED!". Dad storms out and the kid gives my friend the money and shuffles out the door with his head down. We never saw him again after that.

ctyhntr
07-29-2017, 09:39 AM
I've seen some self destructive players who actually cut off their own nose to spite their face. They sell off their equipment, blame the pool hall and swear they never come back. Constantly disparage the league players, and get trounced on free practice tables. They're the type of folks who make everyone happier when they leave.

JazzboxBlues
07-29-2017, 09:41 AM
My game was improving more and more when I suffered an injury to my grip hand ( nothing permanent but ended up requiring surgery). I lost momentum and ended up taking a 10 year layoff. Now that I'm playing again it was truly a poor decision. First off I forgot how much I like playing pool. Second I missed a lot of time improving. Fortunately I'm playing fairly well with limited practice and have taken steps to improve. Unfortunately I'm not getting younger.

Pushout
07-29-2017, 10:25 AM
I saw a guy in our in-house league quit the league after losing to the worst player in it. Guy could only ride the 9 ball and couldn't run out if his life depended on it.
Don't think I've ever seen anyone quit pool entirely, though.

lorider
07-29-2017, 11:02 AM
Me :grin:. Not sure how long your referring to, but I didnt play for about 6 months. Got beat 7-0, 7-0, by a guy I spot the 8 and the last 2, to. I had alot of shit on my mind at the time, and I figure it was best if I put the sticks down for awhile.

Some Interesting reply's on here but this is what I was referring to.

The reason I started this thread is to be some insight on a team mate.

He is an apa 6 in 9 ball who practices more than anyone I know. The only apa player that I have ever seen that practices cue ball control relentlessly . He puts a quarter on the table where he ants the cue ball to land and shoots the same shot over and over until he gets the cue ball to stop at the quarter.

He is a kinda cocky fella but in a nice way and often insinuated he was the best player on the team he challenged me several times to a race to 7 in 9 ball and I finally accepted one time but stipulated races to 7 in call shot 8 ball. 9 ball and 10 ball .. To fade the luck in 9 ball. I am a 6 also. I won all 3 sets...7-4....7-3.. 7-4.

Just giving a lil background before I get to his loss.

We are playing in our 9 ball qualifier for Vegas. This boy wins his 1st 2 matches.. 18-2 vs a 6 and 15-5 vs a 5. The 3rd match they throw a 3 on him ..saving their 7 for me the last match.

The 3 puts a beating on him to the tune of 19-1. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't been standing there watching it.

The 3 got several lucky shots...left my player bad almost every time he missed. My guy missed several makeable shots and mostly left the 3 easy shots.

My player unscrews his cues without saying a word to any one on the team. but did walk up to the league operator who had been watching the match also and complained about the 3's handicap and then he left.

My player has not been back since this happened a month ago. He answered my texts a couple times but always vague about returning to the team . Then he stopped returning my texts a week ago.

One other thing of note. My team mate...the 3 in question and I all are team mates on a different team. Not sure if that has any bearing on his disappearance from pool or not.

Coop1701
07-29-2017, 03:10 PM

Kudos to you sir...,

Poolplaya9
07-29-2017, 03:22 PM
Well the dad gets riled up and starts asking if we know who he is? He is the national Pop-a-Shot champion. Apparently gambling is now acceptable because he starts loudly asking who want to play him in Pop-a-Shot for $100. The kid who had lost the money looked like he wanted to crawl in a hole. I point out we don't have a Pop-a-Shot and no one would want to play him if he was the national champion.

A bit off topic but I wasn't sure what Pop-a-Shot was so I looked it up. These were the very first two videos that came up. I thought they were pretty impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG_DQXEK764
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z72Q4FBfLuM

jasonlaus
07-29-2017, 03:25 PM

House Pro at a bar??? LMAO This story has more holes than your head.
Jason

BassMasterK
07-29-2017, 03:40 PM
A bit off topic but I wasn't sure what Pop-a-Shot was so I looked it up. These were the very first two videos that came up. I thought they were pretty impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG_DQXEK764

Whoa! I have never seen anyone do it two handed. Ya those were really popular for a while. At the time I didn't realize there was a competitive side to it. It was just an arcade staple, not unlike Skee-Ball.

Frankenstroke
07-29-2017, 03:53 PM
Jean Balukas

BassMasterK
07-29-2017, 07:38 PM
Jean Balukas

I remember watching what I think was her last match in the late 80's with Bell. This was when pool would occasionally be on cable and I would tape everything they broadcast. I remember Bell got up early, something that I had never seen any woman do against Jean. Jean made a comment after Bell snapped a couple of 9's to take a pretty big lead, I think something to the effect of her winning because of luck. Bell either dry breaks or misses a shot and says "No class" and it was like "Whoa!! It's on!".

Jean went on to win but stopped playing on the women's tour. I was bummed, she was a great player to watch.

Brags
07-29-2017, 07:56 PM

LOL this one reminded me of this https://youtu.be/UIjYbG7vB_I?t=1m46s

BRussell
07-29-2017, 08:15 PM
I remember watching what I think was her last match in the late 80's with Bell. This was when pool would occasionally be on cable and I would tape everything they broadcast. I remember Bell got up early, something that I had never seen any woman do against Jean. Jean made a comment after Bell snapped a couple of 9's to take a pretty big lead, I think something to the effect of her winning because of luck. Bell either dry breaks or misses a shot and says "No class" and it was like "Whoa!! It's on!".

Jean went on to win but stopped playing on the women's tour. I was bummed, she was a great player to watch.

Here's video of it:
Part 1 (https://youtu.be/6QlFouHvt10),
Part 2 (https://youtu.be/M3TzCfXQ6XE).

Jean is complaining while Robin plays, getting into it with the crowd, complaining about luck - she's the female Earl Strickland!

I remember hearing that her getting out of pool had something to do with a dress code. She felt that the other players were singling her out because they couldn't beat her, and made some rules designed to keep her out.