PDA

View Full Version : How would you get position on the 9 ball?

Brags
07-30-2017, 05:18 AM
Post your video.

jimmyco
07-30-2017, 05:48 AM
Bank the CB off the upper left rail to pocket the 8, shoot the 9 down the rail.

Sedog
07-30-2017, 05:53 AM
Center ball left, med speed.

deanoc
07-30-2017, 05:54 AM
bank the eight and shoot the nine straight in
one pocket

LHP5
07-30-2017, 06:00 AM
Two options.

Stun left, maybe a touch of draw left, to come two rails into the 9. It will go short rail to long rail near the top left corner. Depending on much angle the cue ball may go past the 9 and have to shoot up in to the top right corner. I'd rather hit it softer and take a cut into bottom right corner, but that depends on how fast the cloth is and how springy the rails are.

Option two is to use top inside to bring the cue ball to center of table for a cut on the 9 to bottom right corner as well.

I'm not that good but those seem to be the easiest options. Option 1 is also the most natural path.

Brags
07-30-2017, 06:07 AM

Wrong. Try again.

Brags
07-30-2017, 06:07 AM
Two options.

Stun left, maybe a touch of draw left, to come two rails into the 9. It will go short rail to long rail near the top left corner. Depending on much angle the cue ball may go past the 9 and have to shoot up in to the top right corner. I'd rather hit it softer and take a cut into bottom right corner, but that depends on how fast the cloth is and how springy the rails are.

Option two is to use top inside to bring the cue ball to center of table for a cut on the 9 to bottom right corner as well.

I'm not that good but those seem to be the easiest options. Option 1 is also the most natural path.

Wrong. Try again.

Brags
07-30-2017, 06:08 AM
one pocket

Lol. Wrong. Try again.

Brags
07-30-2017, 06:15 AM
Bank the CB off the upper left rail to pocket the 8, shoot the 9 down the rail.

one pocket

Two options.

All wrong. This is how you do it.
https://flic.kr/p/X3wKy2

Texas Carom Club
07-30-2017, 06:19 AM
Waxed the ball did ya

You ain't foolin anyone

How may takes?

Brags
07-30-2017, 06:22 AM
Waxed the ball did ya

You ain't foolin anyone

How may takes?

LOL what? One take...that was a from a game...I can show you the 8 ball rolling into place. Also, was probably -2 degrees Celsius with about 80% humidity...so table was playing really sluggish.

but thanks...I'll take that as a compliment. :)

Texas Carom Club
07-30-2017, 06:26 AM
Not fooling anyone but yourself
Need to step up your troll game

Your starting to bore me

Yawn

PhilosopherKing
07-30-2017, 06:28 AM
LOL what? One take...that was a from a game...I can show you the 8 ball rolling into place. Also, was probably -2 degrees Celsius with about 80% humidity...so table was playing really sluggish.

but thanks...I'll take that as a compliment. :)

8/9 was wired 5 rails.

Brags
07-30-2017, 06:30 AM
8/9 was wired 5 rails.

I like the way you think. :cool:

Brags
07-30-2017, 06:31 AM
Not fooling anyone but yourself
Need to step up your troll game

Your starting to bore me

Yawn

That's just a basic positional shot...lol

easy-e
07-30-2017, 06:34 AM
Your way is one way to do it. I just set it up three times in my garage. Every time I just used draw to drag it over to the other side rail and then straight back across towards the side rail where the 9 ball is. I fell a little short of perfect on the first time, but the other two I fell great. Made the 9 ball all three times.

Johnny Rosato
07-30-2017, 06:35 AM
one pocket
^^^ What Dean said, or bank the 8 into the 9. Simple shot, either way!

Ralph Kramden
07-30-2017, 06:40 AM
Brags - Basic draw shot... and well executed. Not everyone can actually do it.

Brags
07-30-2017, 06:47 AM
Your way is one way to do it. I just set it up three times in my garage. Every time I just used draw to drag it over to the other side rail and then straight back across towards the side rail where the 9 ball is. I fell a little short of perfect on the first time, but the other two I fell great. Made the 9 ball all three times.

Ya you could draw it across off the other rail as well...but if the angle is too straight you end up having to punch it across.

Brags
07-30-2017, 06:48 AM
Brags - Basic draw shot... and well executed. Not everyone can actually do it.

Thanks. :)

Brags
07-30-2017, 06:57 AM
Waxed the ball did ya

You ain't foolin anyone

How may takes?

Have another look...I have extended the video to show the balls rolling into position.
https://flic.kr/p/W2sDqz

easy-e
07-30-2017, 07:02 AM
Ya you could draw it across off the other rail as well...but if the angle is too straight you end up having to punch it across.

Right. But your shot had enough angle.

Brags
07-30-2017, 07:08 AM
Right. But your shot had enough angle.

Well at the time it felt more comfortable to go around the way I did...either way those are the 2 best shots.

strmanglr scott
07-30-2017, 07:35 AM
Is that your home room brags?

Is this from last winter?

Brags
07-30-2017, 07:46 AM
Is that your home room brags?

Is this from last winter?

ya I was renting it for a few months...but even with a heater and dehumidifier pulling a tank full of water out of the air every 24 hours... it was still a losing battle. So, I moved it to my condo...it was tight. :)

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5935163&postcount=14

JC
07-30-2017, 08:38 AM
The only thing I know about that shot is that people who can shoot it like you did always seam to defeat me. :smile:

JC

mr3cushion
07-30-2017, 08:47 AM
The most 'Common sense' shot available!

JC
07-30-2017, 08:58 AM
I also can't help to wonder why the OP hasn't done something about those unfair diamonds on his own personal table? Some shelving contact paper would do the job nicely.

Can he share a photo of his table set up under a bridge?

JC

strmanglr scott
07-30-2017, 09:00 AM
ya I was renting it for a few months...but even with a heater and dehumidifier pulling a tank full of water out of the air every 24 hours... it was still a losing battle. So, I moved it to my condo...it was tight. :)

¿¿posted 7/28¿¿
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5935163&postcount=14

Hmm...that's weird last night you said....

Posted 7/29
Never done it but will probably once I get my table set up. I think I started it once but got bored. However...where I come from the wagon wheel is not ball in hand every shot lol...the whole point of the exercise is to cheat the pocket and use english to change the tangent line FROM THE SAME SPOT.

Tony_in_MD
07-30-2017, 09:04 AM
You expect anything from this poster is truthful?

Of course it could be an old video, and maybe not even him.

Posted 7/29

strmanglr scott
07-30-2017, 09:08 AM

Don't think I hadn't already thought of that.

One day he shows his table set-up, next night he says he needs to set it up?!

Moet.1977
07-30-2017, 10:03 AM

I think your right Tony it's not him. LOL My guess is he's a 12 to 14 year old kid.

strmanglr scott
07-30-2017, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brags View Post
ya I was renting it for a few months...but even with a heater and dehumidifier pulling a tank full of water out of the air every 24 hours... it was still a losing battle. So, I moved it to my condo...it was tight.

¿¿posted 7/28¿¿
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpo...3&postcount=14

Posted 7/29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brags View Post
Never done it but will probably once I get my table set up. I think I started it once but got bored. However...where I come from the wagon wheel is not ball in hand every shot lol...the whole point of the exercise is to cheat the pocket and use english to change the tangent line FROM THE SAME SPOT.

-----------------------

Boy it got bragfully quiet in here in a big hurry.

KenRobbins
07-30-2017, 11:02 AM
Post your video.

This is the way I would shoot that shot. Best to keep whitey on it's natural path for position on the 9 ball. 😁 https://youtu.be/GM2nSI5suZ0

Island Drive
07-30-2017, 11:07 AM
Only one way ta shoot this ''correctly''....6 o'clock draw one rail (long rail) and back. If ya hit it real good whitey will be on the other long rail about one diamond up from the side, straight in on the 9.

realkingcobra
07-30-2017, 11:15 AM

But in that set up, I'd have drawn the ball across tabke and back as well. The shot you showed plays a little to close to the corner pocket for my liking. Besides that, anytime you're playing off center of the cue ball, you risk over or under cuting the shot trying to do two things at once.

pt109
07-30-2017, 11:44 AM

That's the ONLY way to play it under heat.
Center draw works under some conditions....low with a bit of left sometimes.

realkingcobra
07-30-2017, 11:57 AM
That's the ONLY way to play it under heat.
Center draw works under some conditions....low with a bit of left sometimes.

Playing 2 rails for position runs the risk of overrunning the position on the 9 ball,.the 3 rail shot as shown runs the risk of scratching, or coming off the first rail straight along the end rail leaving mor distance than wanted, and the rule of K.I.S.S. should always apply first, that nust means keep it simple stupid. Drawing the cue ball across the table to the side rail is guaranteed to keep it up table crom the 9, it can be shot even harder without having to be worried about where spin is going to take the cue ball, and even if you draw it across table and back to the same side.as the cue ball, you can't run the risk of overshooting position on the 9. As car as skill goes, straight draw is much easier to control than inside draw with the intent of going 3 rails to get position on the 9.

JC
07-30-2017, 12:12 PM
This is the way I would shoot that shot. Best to keep whitey on it's natural path for position on the 9 ball. 😁 https://youtu.be/GM2nSI5suZ0

LMAO that was so unexpected I had to watch it a second time to understand exactly what happened.

Tell the truth, is that how you would really do it?:wink:

JC

one stroke
07-30-2017, 12:24 PM
Pretty elementary shot , straight draw over and back and grab the rack

JC
07-30-2017, 12:25 PM
Only one way ta shoot this ''correctly''....6 o'clock draw one rail (long rail) and back. If ya hit it real good whitey will be on the other long rail about one diamond up from the side, straight in on the 9.

If you study where the cue ball and the 8 ball are carefully you will see this shot is not available. Due to the camera angle it looks like the 8 is further up table than it actually is. It's sitting about a third of a diamond up from the first diamond on the side rail even with the first diamond on the end rail. The cue ball is just over half court about half way between the first and second diamond on the end rail. Set up this exact position on your 9 footer and you will see that one is much tougher than it looks due to the cut angle. In fact the person in the video did very well to draw it and get it to the side rail at all. I think that's the limit of draw on that angle and you will not bring it straight back across for the 9. 3 cushion drew the only easy and logical route IMO.

Edit.

Actually the shot the OP shot is about as easy as anything now that I tried it a few times. Just not what the average banger like me would think of first. I now deem this to be a nice educational thread.

JC

Brags
07-30-2017, 12:27 PM

Posted 7/29

How's that weird? I sold the table because I'm moving...I'll show you my new setup when I'm settled.

Brags
07-30-2017, 12:33 PM

lol great shot...but risky. :)

strmanglr scott
07-30-2017, 12:34 PM
:thumbup:;):rolleyes:

pt109
07-30-2017, 12:35 PM

I can't believe you passed up the five-railer on the nine-ball....:smile:

Please repost with that finisher.

Brags
07-30-2017, 12:36 PM

Come over when I'm finished moving...I'll give you a free lesson. :cool:
The video was created ‎Tuesday, ‎January ‎10, ‎2017, ‏‎11:24:17 AM. As mentioned it was in the garage at the time...I moved it to my condo...and recently I sold it because I'm moving.

strmanglr scott
07-30-2017, 12:52 PM
You sold it in the last couple days?

Whatever.

Where are you in the country?

We can revive the in state azb champion.

Texas Carom Club
07-30-2017, 12:57 PM
Cesar Morales profile here on azbilliards says San Antonio Texas

That's the name he claimed
When I asked why he had 3 profiles
None of which banned , and active yesterday it showed
He didn't reply

Lolz

Brags
07-30-2017, 01:01 PM
You sold it in the last couple days?

Whatever.

Where are you in the country?

We can revive the in state azb champion.

No I sold it months ago...why do you think I'm on here posting so much...nothing else to do. :)

Brags
07-30-2017, 01:02 PM
Cesar Morales profile here on azbilliards says San Antonio Texas

That's the name he claimed
When I asked why he had 3 profiles
None of which banned , and active yesterday it showed
He didn't reply

Lolz

Cesar Morales was the name Efren played under when he first came to the states....I was joking.

Texas Carom Club
07-30-2017, 01:03 PM
Cesar Morales was the name Efren played under when he first came to the states....I was joking.

Never knew that

pt109
07-30-2017, 01:26 PM
never knew that

---------------

Island Drive
07-30-2017, 01:36 PM
Pretty elementary shot , straight draw over and back and grab the rack

Yep, but many on line are unable to shoot this type of shot yet. It's a pure stroke shot. Until you've got a very good stroke in your arsenal your forced into going another way to get out, which of course is Much lower percentage for good 9 ball shape.

easy-e
07-30-2017, 02:13 PM
The most 'Common sense' shot available!

I hate that shot. You bring two easy scratches into play.

easy-e
07-30-2017, 02:16 PM

HAHAHA! I love it!

jasonlaus
07-30-2017, 02:28 PM

I agree bad shot amy way you look at it
Jason

jasonlaus
07-30-2017, 02:29 PM
Yep, but many on line are unable to shoot this type of shot yet. It's a pure stroke shot. Until you've got a very good stroke in your arsenal your forced into going another way to get out, which of course is Much lower percentage for good 9 ball shape.

Doesn't mean its not the correct shot
Jason

Johnnybgood
07-30-2017, 02:34 PM
Several ways to skin this cat.

1-lower left. Flirt with the corner. 2 rails.

2-Slow but extreme right English and hold the ball center table.

3-upper left for a 5 rail shot.

4-lower right extreme draw. One rail.

These are shots you run up against all the time. Really depends on the skill of the player and how comfortable they are with a particular shot and shape.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Neil
07-30-2017, 03:01 PM
Nobody yet has seen the short rail, long rail, short rail position to the 9 yet? :confused:

Johnnybgood
07-30-2017, 03:04 PM
lol great shot...but risky. :)

This is not the way most would play this shot. Low percentage shot and the cue ball travels way too much. Try that shot under pressure. Risky is an understatement.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87673)

BeiberLvr
07-30-2017, 03:08 PM

I don't think he's used to playing with pockets.

strmanglr scott
07-30-2017, 03:25 PM
No I sold it months ago...why do you think I'm on here posting so much...nothing else to do. :)

You posted Thursday this last week of your pool room in a condo.

There was no mention that it WAS ur pool room.

And if you're on here instead of playing, for months, you're game is no longer sharp enough to talk chit.

Brags
07-30-2017, 03:38 PM
You posted Thursday this last week of your pool room in a condo.

There was no mention that it WAS ur pool room.

And if you're on here instead of playing, for months, you're game is no longer sharp enough to talk chit.

Meh...been watching a lot of streaming...just going to be refreshed. Anyway, to stay sharp (after a few beers) I'll sometimes head over to the local billiards cafe that is full of recreational and league players...walk up to a table and challenge whoever to a game of 8 ball...if I win nothing...if they win I pay their tab. :cool:

strmanglr scott
07-30-2017, 03:45 PM
Several ways to skin this cat.

1-lower left. Flirt with the corner. 2 rails.

2-Slow but extreme right English and hold the ball center table.

3-upper left for a 5 rail shot.

4-lower right extreme draw. One rail.

These are shots you run up against all the time. Really depends on the skill of the player and how comfortable they are with a particular shot and shape.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

That's spot on.

strmanglr scott
07-30-2017, 03:50 PM
Meh...been watching a lot of streaming...just going to be refreshed. Anyway, to stay sharp (after a few beers) I'll sometimes head over to the local billiards cafe that is full of recreational and league players...walk up to a table and challenge whoever to a game of 8 ball...if I win nothing...if they win I pay their tab. :cool:

Impressive, I guess.

Where can an AZBer get a game to be beaten?

Brags
07-30-2017, 04:00 PM
Impressive, I guess.

Where can an AZBer get a game to be beaten?

I said I challenge them to a game...didn't say I always win. :)

mr3cushion
07-30-2017, 04:09 PM

3 Cushion is ALL about controlling the CB! This is where players like Efren and Buddy Hall excelled with pin point 'center table' angle position!

NO scratch involved if a player has control of their stroke!

Looks like a natural hanger to me!

one stroke
07-30-2017, 04:49 PM
3 Cushion is ALL about controlling the CB! This is where players like Efren and Buddy Hall excelled with pin point 'center table' angle position!

Well if he was totally in control of his stroke he wouldn't be there in the first place :eek:

Be it as it may ,, I really think it's a personal preference, Strickland might come with a big stroke low , Alex may choose to go in and out of the corner ,while Corey may go for the OPs shot , for me 1 and 3 offer me the best chance and the least chance of scratching or over shooting the shape on the 9

strmanglr scott
07-30-2017, 04:55 PM
I said I challenge them to a game...didn't say I always win. :)

I asked where?

I'm sure you don't win em all, as no one does.

But, when I see this....

Ah...I'm not a douche bag. I tell people afterwards...look...I play a LOT of pool. You aren't going to beat me...its as simple as that. If I try to grapple with a black belt I'm going to take an ass whooping every time...I'm like a black belt in pool. :cool:

Then I have to lol.

But, hey, I hope your close to me. Love to play you, especially if you are as black beltish as you say.

My best learning has come when I racked a lot.

Johnny Rosato
07-30-2017, 05:03 PM
His nickname is Pinocchio!

easy-e
07-30-2017, 06:44 PM

Post a video of you making this "hanger" a few times in a row. Its an unnecessary risk. If you had control of the cue ball, why couldn't you shoot it a "safer" way with complete control?

cubswin
07-30-2017, 06:51 PM
I'd of just played better shape on the 8 to begin with.

one stroke
07-30-2017, 07:00 PM
I'd of just played better shape on the 8 to begin with.

Hence post 68 , excatly what I said

cubswin
07-30-2017, 07:08 PM
Hence post 68 , excatly what I said

Well I didn't read every single reply.

mr3cushion
07-30-2017, 07:15 PM
Post a video of you making this "hanger" a few times in a row. Its an unnecessary risk. If you had control of the cue ball, why couldn't you shoot it a "safer" way with complete control?

As one other poster already stated, it's a 'personal preference' how to get out from here! Being primarily a 3C player, I like the solution I chose! The angle looks 'natural' to get in front of the side pocket! Obviously the problem is the location of the 9 ball. I prefer NOT trying to shoot down the rail past the side pocket.

Brags
07-30-2017, 07:18 PM

You are drawing the cueball to the corner pocket...and then coming on a tangent towards the side pocket.

These are basically the 4 options being discussed. You can see why I chose the route I did.

one stroke
07-30-2017, 07:52 PM
As one other poster already stated, it's a 'personal preference' how to get out from here! Being primarily a 3C player, I like the solution I chose! The angle looks 'natural' to get in front of the side pocket! Obviously the problem is the location of the 9 ball. I prefer NOT trying to shoot down the rail past the side pocket.

The reason I said personal preference is some players might like to try to roll out of the corner up closer to the 9 cause they don't like that rail shot from a distance where other players have no problem with that shot from a father distance or a little more angle but see more danger in going into the corner back out toward the side , truth be told depending how I'm stroking the cue that day I might play any of them

JohnnyOzone
07-30-2017, 08:18 PM
it should be a foul to shoot the ball with low inside english like the OP did. I saw Shane and Efren each do it once - didn't seem fair

JC
07-30-2017, 08:44 PM
You are drawing the cueball to the corner pocket...and then coming on a tangent towards the side pocket.

These are basically the 4 options being discussed. You can see why I chose the route I did.

Your drawings are severely flawed. As I pointed out already the 8 ball is just above the first diamond and with the angle on it there is no way you are going to draw the cue ball above the first diamond on the long rail. Physics just don't work that way. Not possible. The shot shown in the video hit the short rail half way to the pocket from the first diamond which is about as far as draw is going to get you up table on the first rail. Therefore to draw over and back a lot of left English will be needed to avoid a longer than ideal shot on the 9. Just not as easy as many posters seem to think.

JC

Brags
07-30-2017, 08:54 PM
Your drawings are severely flawed. As I pointed out already the 8 ball is just above the first diamond and with the angle on it there is no way you are going to draw the cue ball above the first diamond on the long rail. Physics just don't work that way. Not possible. The shot shown in the video hit the short rail half way to the pocket from the first diamond which is about as far as draw is going to get you up table on the first rail. Therefore to draw over and back a lot of left English will be needed to avoid a longer than ideal shot on the 9. Just not as easy as many posters seem to think.

JC

Well the lines should be curved not straight as that is the path the cue ball takes. I could easily draw back to the 3rd diamond with any english...but that wouldn't get the desired position. Anyway...I touch type 70 wpm and I couldn't draw the keyboard on a piece of paper if you asked me...its all muscle memory. It's the same with pool.

Here is a video which shows how quickly I am down on the shot.
https://flic.kr/p/W2sDqz

JC
07-30-2017, 09:03 PM
Well the lines should be curved not straight as that is the path the cue ball takes. I could easily draw back to the 3rd diamond with any english...but that won't get you the position.

Not from there you can't. Do you even understand what pool balls can and can not do?

Makes me wonder who shot the shot in the video.

JC

Brags
07-30-2017, 09:10 PM
Not from there you can't. Do you even understand what pool balls can and can not do?

Makes me wonder who shot the shot in the video.

JC

I understand what pool balls can do with a good stroke...which clearly you must be lacking if you can't draw that back to the 3rd diamond.

JC
07-30-2017, 09:41 PM
I understand what pool balls can do with a good stroke...which clearly you must be lacking if you can't draw that back to the 3rd diamond.

At a pool school run by 4 pros they had an exercise where the amateurs would play the mental game and the pros would execute the shots. One of the instructors told me stories of some of these people asking the pros to play positional shots that were not physically possible thinking they themselves could do it if only they could stroke it better.

You sir are delusional if you think you can draw off that 8 ball back to the third diamond from that cue ball position after potting the 8. It's simply not possible. Not by you, not by anyone. My stroke has nothing to do with this.

JC

Brags
07-30-2017, 09:47 PM
At a pool school run by 4 pros they had an exercise where the amateurs would play the mental game and the pros would execute the shots. One of the instructors told me stories of some of these people asking the pros to play positional shots that were not physically possible thinking they themselves could do it if only they could stroke it better.

You sir are delusional if you think you can draw off that 8 ball back to the third diamond from that cue ball position after potting the 8. It's simply not possible. Not by you, not by anyone. My stroke has nothing to do with this.

JC

Give me a cyclop cue ball. :)

JC
07-30-2017, 09:49 PM
Give me a cyclop cue ball. :)

I'll give you that and a month and 5 to one odds on 50 bucks.

It can't be done.

JC

Brags
07-30-2017, 09:52 PM
I'll give you that and a month and 5 to one odds on 50 bucks.

It can't be done.

JC

I'll head to the pool hall tomorrow and will report back. If I can make it I will supply video of course....or how about somebody else give it a shot? Maybe this can be a new challenge? Draw back to the 3rd diamond. :)

This could be tough...Corey had a similar shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVDrZK6VpuU&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbi16gxjER0
(Doesn't he end up missing the 5?)

JC
07-30-2017, 09:57 PM
I'll head to the pool hall tomorrow and will report back. If I can make it I will supply video of course....or how about somebody else give it a shot? Maybe this can be a new challenge? Draw back to the 3rd diamond. :)

Just get the ball positions right. No cheating by straightening it out or moving the 8 ball up table. And no waxing the balls although I don't think even that will be enough.

The 8 ball is in line with the first diamond on the end rail and a couple of balls above the first diamond on the side rail.

The cue ball is half way between the first and center diamond on the end rail and just over half court up table.

Good luck

JC

JC
07-30-2017, 10:01 PM

This could be tough...Corey had a similar shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVDrZK6VpuU&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbi16gxjER0
(Doesn't he end up missing the 5?)

That's not drawing it back. He drew it straight across and spun it up table.

I'm not talking about spinning it back off the first rail to the third diamond on the side the 9 ball is on. Of course any good player can do that.

You're not back peddling are you?

JC

Brags
07-30-2017, 10:28 PM
That's not drawing it back. He drew it straight across and spun it up table.

I'm not talking about spinning it back off the first rail to the third diamond on the side the 9 ball is on. Of course any good player can do that.

You're not back peddling are you?

JC

no no...I'm going to try to draw it back to the 3rd diamond on the long rail.

Johnnybgood
07-31-2017, 12:46 AM

It's not an easy position shot. I see why you chose that shot but, never the less it won't be a shot you can duplicate consistently without setting it up time and time again. Low percentage shot. I tried a couple of my suggestions in practice. Low English draw towards the corner (which is my first choice) I hit dead on position twice. Took me a while to stop thinking about the position over making the ball but one I did that it plays out fine. Slow right inside/right English plays fine but it does leave a tough angle on the 9. Didn't try the rest but the other that also plays nice is the "Efren" shot. Low inside. Just have to have a very good stroke. Most players wouldn't play it or if they did couldn't execute it.

Of those options drawing toward the corner playing 2 rails I like the best.

All said, not a shot I generally would look forward to playing unless I was practicing at home.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87673)

hotelyorba
07-31-2017, 05:05 AM
anyone consider leaving a bank shot on the 9? think you could get there if you shoot the 8 with high spin off the short and long rail. I could be wrong.

Brags
07-31-2017, 05:10 AM
anyone consider leaving a bank shot on the 9? think you could get there if you shoot the 8 with high spin off the short and long rail. I could be wrong.

Typically you don't want to play position for a bank shot unless there is no other option.

Brags
07-31-2017, 05:18 AM
Didn't try the rest but the other that also plays nice is the "Efren" shot. Low inside. Just have to have a very good stroke.

That would be the tangent near the pocket for the 4th option right? In the pic the tangent could slide closer to the corner pocket (green line) and come off even shorter...but you are still coming towards the side pocket...and still have a steeper angle on the 9.

hotelyorba
07-31-2017, 05:21 AM
Typically you don't want to play position for a bank shot unless there is no other option.
No doubt, was just thinking outside the box there. I mean, if you're on the hill and don't feel adventurous about the 8 but you do feel confident about your banks (let's say you're from Kentucky), you may choose this route. From where the 9 is, a bank to the centerpocket is not extremely difficult. But you're right, on the money ball you want a clean shot, as straight as you can get.

easy-e
07-31-2017, 05:27 AM

JC

Maybe we're seeing it differently, but I can draw that ball past the first diamond on the long rail all day long. I doubt I can get to the third diamond, that would be amazing, but I'll set it up according to how you described it in your other post and get above the first diamond. I can post it tonight after work unless someone beats me to it.

hotelyorba
07-31-2017, 05:31 AM
By the way, considering this image you posted:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=465965&stc=1&d=1501468053

the option you show here, where CB ends up farthest from the 9 (so the one above the position of the CB) does not seem too hard to me. In fact, come to think of it -- I think that would be exactly what I would end up doing.
I would feel confident of making the 8 (top right english of course, and I have to be sure not to overrun the CB but I think I could do it though it's not a gimme) and the shot on the 9 may have kinda-big angle, but still manageable.

Just a matter of full-on concentration and confidence and control, but still the most doable solution of anything I've seen here.

And then the other option that's shown here: if you extend the line towards the long rail, that's a position from where you'd have to shoot the 9 along the long rail past the side pocket (so depends a little on the table, if that works or not). At least those are two shots that play naturally.

I'm gonna try these solutions tonight.

Brags
07-31-2017, 05:35 AM
By the way, considering this image you posted:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=465965&stc=1&d=1501468053

the option you show here, where CB ends up farthest from the 9 (so the one above the position of the CB) does not seem too hard to me. In fact, come to think of it -- I think that would be exactly what I would end up doing.
I would feel confident of making the 8 (top right english of course, and I have to be sure not to overrun the CB but I think I could do it though it's not a gimme) and the shot on the 9 may have kinda-big angle, but still manageable.

Just a matter of full-on concentration and confidence and control, but still the most doable solution of anything I've seen here.

True...but that's a lot of check sides to end up as in the photo...chances are you would not get that tight. Also, the tangent after contact is pretty steep in the photo...realistically you are going to be hitting nearer or past the middle diamond on the short rail. Still doable though.

Black-Balled
07-31-2017, 05:41 AM
RAM shot, ftw.

If you cant make both balls in one shot, you are a loser.

Island Drive
07-31-2017, 06:06 AM
For some more ''chew'' on this thread.

My preferred cueing would favor slight inside draw Very slight with a left too right follow thru finishing swing, Not a right to left finish/hit through.

Mkindsv
07-31-2017, 06:09 AM
Slightly below center two tips of right, nice soft shot. Game over, hand me my cash

easy-e
07-31-2017, 06:10 AM
Slightly below center two tips of right, nice soft shot. Game over, hand me my cash

Can you show a video or diagram of what that would look like?

Black-Balled
07-31-2017, 06:13 AM
Nobody wants to hit cb with hi spinglish and shoot 9 in same pocket as 8?

And id add...on a diamond, it is possible to scratch in the r) side pocket, off that 8. (And such craziness should NOT be possible)

easy-e
07-31-2017, 06:18 AM

And id add...on a diamond, it is possible to scratch in the r) side pocket, off that 8. (And such craziness should NOT be possible)

I can scratch a hundred different ways on that shot on ANY table! Try me.

Black-Balled
07-31-2017, 06:19 AM
Can you show a video or diagram of what that would look like?

I think that leave cb passing under line from r) side pocket to 1st diamond above the pics tp l pochet.

Shooting that 8 with inside and at speed increases the 8's difficulty signoficantly, imo.

I wouldnt hit that 8 with inside ever, and i wake up every day as a champion with a smile on his face and 295-35/ 21s in the driveway.

Brags
07-31-2017, 06:20 AM

Firstly...you don't want to be shooting the 9 past the side pocket...secondly, I'd like to see you scratch in the side pocket near the 9 with hi "spinglish". :)

Black-Balled
07-31-2017, 06:21 AM
I can scratch a hundred different ways on that shot on ANY table! Try me.

Yeah, i noticed tht.

Black-Balled
07-31-2017, 06:23 AM
Firstly...you don't want to be shooting the 9 past the side pocket...secondly, don't you dare knock diamond tables...the crazier the better. :)

Well, i wish you and i could gamble from there, it is my shot and i will play both in that top r corner every game.

easy-e
07-31-2017, 06:29 AM
:yeah::yeah:Yeah, i noticed tht.

easy-e
07-31-2017, 06:29 AM
Well, i wish you and i could gamble from there, it is my shot and i will play both in that top r corner every game.

But will you get out every game???

Brags
07-31-2017, 06:32 AM

I would like to see a video of you playing that shot and making the 9 up top...AND would really like to see you scratch into the side pocket near the 9 with hi "spinglish".

easy-e
07-31-2017, 06:36 AM
I would like to see a video of you playing that shot and making the 9 up top...AND would really like to see you scratch into the side pocket near the 9 with hi "spinglish".

He made two different statements. Pay attention.

Black-Balled
07-31-2017, 06:47 AM

Who said anything about scratching with hi?

Go back to your cobwebbed match/ tinder account and see if you got any hits this year...

Nnnnnope

Inaction
07-31-2017, 07:02 AM
Lol. Wrong. Try again.

When the question is "How would YOU get position..."

How can the answer possibly be wrong?

easy-e
07-31-2017, 07:04 AM

I'd guess that all depends how one defines "getting position".

Brags
07-31-2017, 07:09 AM

LOL I get what you're saying. It's like I'm saying WRONG...no you wouldn't.

JC
07-31-2017, 07:50 AM
Maybe we're seeing it differently, but I can draw that ball past the first diamond on the long rail all day long. I doubt I can get to the third diamond, that would be amazing, but I'll set it up according to how you described it in your other post and get above the first diamond. I can post it tonight after work unless someone beats me to it.

Somewhere right around the first diamond is the limit for draw from that angle. I think below the diamond but that may be wrong. Certainly not the third diamond or even the second. That's all I meant. If someone can make the balls do more I don't see how.

JC

easy-e
07-31-2017, 07:55 AM
Somewhere right around the first diamond is the limit for draw from that angle. I think below the diamond but that may be wrong. Certainly not the third diamond or even the second. That's all I meant. If someone can make the balls do more I don't see how.

JC

I'll post a video later with my results, I feel I can get the second diamond but maybe I'm wrong.

TILT9
07-31-2017, 08:29 AM

JC
JC , come home to NPR , we ms you :)

PoolBum
07-31-2017, 08:51 AM

JC

I think the way that the balls lay in the original picture that drawing above the first diamond is pretty easy. Drawing close to the second diamond may be possible, it all depends on exactly where those balls are positioned.

JC
07-31-2017, 09:58 AM
I think the way that the balls lay in the original picture that drawing above the first diamond is pretty easy. Drawing close to the second diamond may be possible, it all depends on exactly where those balls are positioned.

It looks straighter due to the long camera angle but when you look closely at where the balls actually lay and set it up, not so much. Too much angle to bring the cue ball back from where the 8 lies.

philly
07-31-2017, 09:59 AM
Low left deep into the rail to roll softly into the 9 and moving it off the rail. Risky. Or hard draw to come off the left rail and back to the rail behind the 9. Or high right 3 rails under the 9.

easy-e
07-31-2017, 10:01 AM
Low left deep into the rail to roll softly into the 9 and moving it off the rail. Risky. Or hard draw to come off the left rail and back to the rail behind the 9.

You'd play to re-position the 9 ball? You have balls, sir!

TILT9
07-31-2017, 10:09 AM
Stroke It :)

philly
07-31-2017, 10:29 AM

it's just like softly breaking up a cluster. In this case, after making the 8 there would be no balls obstructing the 9 ball and you would have all 6 pockets available to play for. Speed is important in hitting the 9 as you want to keep the cue ball close to the 9 but not too close.

Black-Balled
07-31-2017, 10:32 AM
it's just like softly breaking up a cluster. In this case, after making the 8 there would be no balls obstructing the 9 ball and you would have all 6 pockets available to play for. Speed is important in hitting the 9 as you want to keep the cue ball close to the 9 but not too close.

I think one would have a far greater success rate just stopping cb center table.

Thoig they do play3c in philly.

Black-Balled
07-31-2017, 10:33 AM

Cant do any of it without balls, duh

philly
07-31-2017, 10:41 AM
I think one would have a far greater success rate just stopping cb center table.

Thoig they do play3c in philly.

They do play 3c in Philly and I do play it myself from time to time. How would you get to center table though. Soft heavy high right? Taking it too deep into the bottom rail risks a scratch. No?

JC
07-31-2017, 11:25 AM
To the best of my ability this is how I believe the balls are lying in the video.

Good luck to all the drawmeisters. :smile:

JC

easy-e
07-31-2017, 11:28 AM
To the best of my ability this is how I believe the balls are lying in the video.

Good luck to all the drawmeisters. :smile:

JC

That's pretty close. Your description earlier puts the 8 ball a "couple balls above" that first diamond, do you think you have it the same in your illustration? Either way, not a huge difference.

Black-Balled
07-31-2017, 12:01 PM
They do play 3c in Philly and I do play it myself from time to time. How would you get to center table though. Soft heavy high right? Taking it too deep into the bottom rail risks a scratch. No?

Huh? I see it as a natural to get to middle table. A littl center draw, so cb is just beginning to turn over as it hits the 8...add touch of left and stop in center. Not the easiest shot on the 9, but i also think it would be wrong to think yoi will have an easier shot after contactin the 9 lightly.

I still think i woild shoot the 9 into the same pocket as the 8.

I would bet i can consistantly stop the cb within4" of bottom r pictured diamond/ rail...and that shot is easier than cutting the 9 to bottom r corner from center table.

I would never choose to shoot that 8 with r spin.

michael4
07-31-2017, 12:26 PM
Low left deep into the rail to roll softly into the 9 and moving it off the rail. Risky.

Yes, I see that as so risky, as to be a bad idea......

Black-Balled
07-31-2017, 12:30 PM
Low left deep into the rail to roll softly into the 9 and moving it off the rail. Risky. Or hard draw to come off the left rail and back to the rail behind the 9. Or high right 3 rails under the 9.

The shot you describe has cb going through center table.

Youze bustn my bawls, aintcha?
:grin::grin::grin:

philly
07-31-2017, 12:33 PM
Yes, I see that as so risky, as to be a bad idea......

Once again there are no other balls on the table to obstruct the 9 ball after making the 8 ball and you have all 6 pockets as a possibility for the 9. I would take that risk of having all pockets available for the 9 with no obstructions. Of course I listed 2 other ways I think you can play it.

easy-e
07-31-2017, 12:37 PM
Once again there are no other balls on the table to obstruct the 9 ball after making the 8 ball and you have all 6 pockets as a possibility for the 9. I would take that risk of having all pockets available for the 9 with no obstructions. Of course I listed 2 other ways I think you can play it.

It would scare the crap out of me if you played your shot on me and it worked. I'd wonder what I had gotten myself into! That's too tough, trust me, I have way more posts than you.

bad_hit
07-31-2017, 12:38 PM
Straight draw over and back is the easiest way to play it, no need to hit the short rail. Or just come out of the corner, or hit it like a Filipino with inside. I think most pros would just draw over and back, highest percentage of not screwing it up.

easy-e
07-31-2017, 12:39 PM
Straight draw over and back is the easiest way to play it, no need to hit the short rail. Or just come out of the corner, or hit it like a Filipino with inside. I think most pros would just draw over and back, highest percentage of not screwing it up.

How high up on the opposite side rail do you think you could draw it?

Black-Balled
07-31-2017, 12:43 PM
trust me, I have way more posts than you.

Too funny.

9Ballr
07-31-2017, 12:46 PM
Just wondering....could Brags be a JustinB?

Or at least JustinB with a new ID?

Just wondrin'.

Black-Balled
07-31-2017, 01:07 PM

Just wondrin'.

No.

Justinb7543387 isnt a malicious ahole. He likes cues. He likes pool.

Poop champ likes causing friction andpopulatin the main forum with threads he creates

cubswin
07-31-2017, 04:41 PM

Just wondrin'.

No, Justin is annoying. This guy is annoying, self righteous, and God's gift to pool all wrapped up in one.

PoolBum
07-31-2017, 04:55 PM

This is correct, IMO, but with a touch of left on the draw.

easy-e
07-31-2017, 05:07 PM
So I set it up 5 times when I got home from work. I believe I set it up fairly even though I was tempted to give myself a slightly better angle. Of the five shots: 1 miscue, 1 draw to under the first diamond, 2 hit the ball that I stuck on the first diamond for reference, one that hit about halfway between the first and second diamond. Not going to post the video because there's nothing to be proud of.

The equipment is a new 9' Diamond table, polished aramith balls, measles cue ball. I feel that I have a pretty big stroke, and would be very impressed if someone can hit the middle diamond under similar conditions.

To sum it up, JC was right, I was wrong. :(

easy-e
07-31-2017, 05:09 PM
I still believe that drawing the ball to the long rail and back across is the best shot for position on the 9-ball.

michael4
07-31-2017, 05:15 PM

bump.....

just messin with ya
:poke:

PoolBum
07-31-2017, 05:16 PM
I still believe that drawing the ball to the long rail and back across is the best shot for position on the 9-ball.

I blew up the picture to get a better idea of exactly how the 8 ball and the cue ball are laying. I am certain that I can draw the cue ball at the very least straight across the table (to stay above the first diamond, since the 8 ball is above the first diamond) and back over for good position on the 9. If I hit it good I think it's possible to scratch in the right-hand side pocket.

easy-e
07-31-2017, 05:18 PM
bump.....

just messin with ya
:poke:

Hey man, it's all good. I thought for sure I's be able to draw AT LEAST above the first diamond every time. 1 out of 5 is not what I had in mind. No problem admitting I was wrong. Anyone saying otherwise will have to show proof to convince me otherwise. :thumbup:

easy-e
07-31-2017, 05:20 PM
I blew up the picture to get a better idea of exactly how the 8 ball and the cue ball are laying. I am certain that I can draw the cue ball at the very least straight across the table (to stay above the first diamond, since the 8 ball is above the first diamond) and back over for good position on the 9. If I hit it good I think it's possible to scratch in the right-hand side pocket.

I had no problem getting above the side pocket once the cue ball hit the rail with all that spin on it. Getting the cue ball to hit the second diamond on that long rail is where I was mistaken. Tough shot.

PoolBum
07-31-2017, 05:27 PM
I had no problem getting above the side pocket once the cue ball hit the rail with all that spin on it. Getting the cue ball to hit the second diamond on that long rail is where I was mistaken. Tough shot.

Well, in that case, you da' man!

Johnny Rosato
07-31-2017, 05:29 PM

Just wondrin'.
No. I don't think Justin knows to lie a little sometimes. This guy 'Brags' is a well practiced and proficient liar. He's one of those that can start lying, realize that you know he's lying, then keep on lying!

JC
07-31-2017, 06:31 PM
So I set it up 5 times when I got home from work. I believe I set it up fairly even though I was tempted to give myself a slightly better angle. Of the five shots: 1 miscue, 1 draw to under the first diamond, 2 hit the ball that I stuck on the first diamond for reference, one that hit about halfway between the first and second diamond. Not going to post the video because there's nothing to be proud of.

The equipment is a new 9' Diamond table, polished aramith balls, measles cue ball. I feel that I have a pretty big stroke, and would be very impressed if someone can hit the middle diamond under similar conditions.

It ain't over until Brags says it is.....

He plans to do it with a broom handle tonight.:)

BTW I agree with you totally, low left over and back all day for shape on the 9. Just have to spin it to get closer to the 9.

Everything else is much more fallible.

JC

Brags
07-31-2017, 07:33 PM
It ain't over until Brags says it is.....

He plans to do it with a broom handle tonight.:)

BTW I agree with you totally, low left over and back all day for shape on the 9. Just have to spin it to get closer to the 9.

Everything else is much more fallible.

JC

I'll head to the pool hall tomorrow to give it a try.

Mkindsv
08-02-2017, 09:33 PM
"Can you show a video or diagram of what that would look like?"

Not really, I get this computer turned on and figured out how to do the chat...but that is about the extent of my expertise

skins
08-02-2017, 10:41 PM
Didn't need to read the thread but started out of curiosity and stopped after the first 3 pages... hard draw, left to right throw...done..easy...

The lie means EVERYTHING to this shot. If the 8 was out left another inch or so you'd have scratched or had no control...

BC21
08-03-2017, 04:40 AM

I set it up and shot it three times in a row, straight draw, medium firm stroke, and all three times had good shape on the nine. I love playing guys who try too hard to get perfect position on the nine by making the shot before the nine more difficult than it should be. Often enough, just shooting the shot in the most simple/straight-forward way is sufficient. Unless you're playing 10-bal or Rotation, there's no reason to take a chance on missing the 8 for specific shape on the 9....just be sure to leave yourself a good shot, doesn't have to be straight in.

branpureza
08-03-2017, 08:00 AM
Bottom right.

BC21
08-03-2017, 03:25 PM
I recorded 3 straight draw shots for this setup, then decided to shoot 3 with inside draw. Used coach's eye app to provide commentary.

https://youtu.be/IAAGLQXW0V0

realkingcobra
08-03-2017, 04:35 PM
I recorded 3 straight draw shots for this setup, then decided to shoot 3 with inside draw. Used coach's eye app to provide commentary.

https://youtu.be/IAAGLQXW0V0

The thing is, during a game, you DON'T get to practice the shot, no do overs either, and as i already stated in my last post, you just need to keep the shot simple, fancy gets your ass in trouble when you LEAST expect it. So, simple to win, fancy to ahow off....the OP was wrong in my opinion.

BC21
08-03-2017, 05:56 PM
The thing is, during a game, you DON'T get to practice the shot, no do overs either, and as i already stated in my last post, you just need to keep the shot simple, fancy gets your ass in trouble when you LEAST expect it. So, simple to win, fancy to ahow off....the OP was wrong in my opinion.

Exactly. I marked the table where it looked like the same setup, then set the camera up and started recording, no practice shots or retakes. The straight draw felt more natural and the results were much more consistent. When I shot with low inside my speed was off first, then my spin was off, then I finally hit it well enough to get a shot on the 9.

That's a good way to practice shape on odd angles...shoot it several ways and stick with the most consistent method, which is usually the simplest method.

branpureza
08-03-2017, 06:56 PM
Bottom right.

Still going with bottom right.

Bottom pulls the cue ball back a little and the inside makes it come straight back over once it hits the long rail. Keeps it a safe distance from the side pocket as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zATfXfV7Tgk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBYRAlByk9A

realkingcobra
08-03-2017, 07:05 PM
Still going with bottom right.

Bottom pulls the cue ball back a little and the inside makes it come straight back over once it hits the long rail. Keeps it a safe distance from the side pocket as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zATfXfV7Tgk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBYRAlByk9A

Why would you worry about bottom right english, unless you're insisting on spinning the cue ball for an unknown reason, as soon as the cue hits the object ball with draw, unless you're power drawing the cue, it won't have any side spin on it when it comes in contact with the first rail, it'll just be rolling speed coming off the first rail across the table. That little inside spin you're talking about will set your cue ball right on the end rail damn near, cor a much harder shot.on the 9 than needed.

branpureza
08-03-2017, 07:10 PM
Why would you worry about bottom right english, unless you're insisting on spinning the cue ball for an unknown reason, as soon as the cue hits the object ball with draw, unless you're power drawing the cue, it won't have any side spin on it when it comes in contact with the first rail, it'll just be rolling speed coming off the first rail across the table. That little inside spin you're talking about will set your cue ball right on the end rail damn near, cor a much harder shot.on the 9 than needed.

I explained why pretty clearly... so that it rebounds straight across instead of toward the side pocket.

It just a touch of inside. You're not loading it up on this shot. Nothing difficult to execute here.

Bottom english with no spin at all would rebound something like shown in blue which isn't as safe of a shot. You are in danger of scratching and it also makes for a smaller positional area.

BeiberLvr
08-03-2017, 07:24 PM
I explained why pretty clearly... so that it rebounds straight across instead of toward the side pocket.

It just a touch of inside. You're not loading it up on this shot. Nothing difficult to execute here.

Bottom english with no spin at all would rebound something like shown in blue which isn't as safe of a shot. You are in danger of scratching and it also makes for a smaller positional area.

Did you watch BC21 shoot the shots with no spin? Seemed pretty safe to me.

branpureza
08-03-2017, 07:28 PM

No, honestly I haven't read anyone's replies. Haha

pt109
08-03-2017, 07:43 PM

Pool room conditions vary....if the cue ball is well used, a touch of right might be needed.
...I've told three guys around my area, they aren't pros, to shoot it low center...it worked.
Tournament conditions, new balls and new cloth, a bit of left might be needed.

BC21
08-03-2017, 07:45 PM
No, honestly I haven't read anyone's replies. Haha

I read this statement, then looked at your profile pic....that expression on Carell's face! I laughed so loud my wife kicked me out of the room.

branpureza
08-03-2017, 07:50 PM
I read this statement, then looked at your profile pic....that expression on Carell's face! I laughed so loud my wife kicked me out of the room.

Haha.. if you haven't seen the "Prison Mike" episode of The Office you need to. So damn good.

branpureza
08-03-2017, 07:51 PM
Pool room conditions vary....if the cue ball is well used, a touch of right might be needed.
...I've told three guys around my area, they aren't pros, to shoot it low center...it worked.
Tournament conditions, new balls and new cloth, a bit of left might be needed.

Definitely agree with this.

realkingcobra
08-03-2017, 08:18 PM

Thats funny, guy records the shot with straight draw, shoots it 3 times, cue ball goes across the table can back....and couldn't even come close to a scratch....without the help of lower left draw. I do know how to play, there's no chance of a scratch on that shot, but in high humidity conditions....your cue ball control could very well send the cue.ball to the end rail for a far more difficult shot on the 9.

branpureza
08-03-2017, 08:35 PM
Thats funny, guy records the shot with straight draw, shoots it 3 times, cue ball goes across the table can back....and couldn't even come close to a scratch....without the help of lower left draw. I do know how to play, there's no chance of a scratch on that shot, but in high humidity conditions....your cue ball control could very well send the cue.ball to the end rail for a far more difficult shot on the 9.

You seem upset.

The original question was "How would YOU get position on the 9 ball", to which I gave my answer.

I can definitely play that shot with straight draw and scratch in the side. "No chance of scratch" is a little ridiculous don't you think?

I also know how to play this game... feel free to post some videos demonstrating your skill and vast knowledge.

... but in high humidity conditions....your cue ball control could very well send the cue.ball to the end rail for a far more difficult shot on the 9.

So you think this might happen??? Lol

BC21
08-03-2017, 08:36 PM

I believe the shot is a little tougher than the picture posted by branpureza. The 8 is a little closer than 1.5 diamonds off the end rail and the CB is farther away from the 9. Drawing the shot near the 3rd diamond on that long rail would be near impossible from the original op's position. It looked like the 90° tangent line was hitting the end rail, so the CB requires a lot of draw just to pull it away from the corner pocket. Nevertheless, I'd shoot straight draw on about any shot near this position for shape on that 9.

branpureza
08-03-2017, 08:40 PM
I believe the shot is a little tougher than the picture posted by branpureza. The 8 is a little closer than 1.5 diamonds off the end rail and the CB is farther away from the 9. Drawing the shot near the 3rd diamond on that long rail would be near impossible from the original op's position. It looked like the 90° tangent line was hitting the end rail, so the CB requires a lot of draw just to pull it away from the corner pocket. Nevertheless, I'd shoot straight draw on about any shot near this position for shape on that 9.

Yeah it's hard to tell from the op's pic but it looked pretty close to me... I'm sure everyone has some variance to their setup...

BC21
08-03-2017, 08:46 PM
Yeah it's hard to tell from the op's pic but it looked pretty close to me... I'm sure everyone has some variance to their setup...

I probably made it a tougher shot than brags posted. It's quite easier when the tangent path is going toward or above the corner pocket because less draw is needed. But you're right, every setup will be a little different.

RussPrince
08-03-2017, 11:29 PM
no need for shape. just bank the 8 ball 3 rails into the right hand side pocket while the cueball goes around 3 rails to bank the 9 into the upper left corner. easy peasy

Icon of Sin
08-04-2017, 05:34 AM
Regardless of how you are hitting it. The right shot is one rail across the table rather then all the extra inside spin needed to go the way OP shot it.

Like others said. Using left or right is going to have to be at the discretion of the shooter due to variances in equipment.

Island Drive
08-04-2017, 06:27 AM

Looks like Thread 35.