PDA

View Full Version : Earl Strickland clapping for his opponents

Mcdermott1981
07-31-2017, 11:34 AM
I have watched over 100 Earl Strickland matches and have seen him numerous times clap for his opponents when they make a difficult shot. For anybody other than Earl, I would say the player was just showing good sportsmanship. I am just curious if anybody really knows if Earl is clapping to truly show good sportsmanship or if he is being a smart ass like usual :)

easy-e
07-31-2017, 11:37 AM
I have watched over 100 Earl Strickland matches and have seen him numerous times clap for his opponents when they make a difficult shot. For anybody other than Earl, I would say the player was just showing good sportsmanship. I am just curious if anybody really knows if Earl is clapping to truly show good sportsmanship or if he is being a smart ass like usual :)

The times I have seen him do it I would say he is genuinely applauding his opponent's shot. I'm sure there have been other times where he was being a jerk.

West Point 1987
07-31-2017, 11:38 AM

I suspect he means it to be respectful, but he's also relieving stress he feels at that moment. Never thought of it as sharking or disrespectful or sarcastic...

garczar
07-31-2017, 12:03 PM
I have watched over 100 Earl Strickland matches and have seen him numerous times clap for his opponents when they make a difficult shot. For anybody other than Earl, I would say the player was just showing good sportsmanship. I am just curious if anybody really knows if Earl is clapping to truly show good sportsmanship or if he is being a smart ass like usual :)Gave up trying to figure-out ES years ago. He's a psychoanalyst's wet-dream come true. Love watching him when he's "on" but he has gotten kinda out-there over the years. All the weights, glasses and crazy mannerisms just kill me.

alstl
07-31-2017, 12:10 PM
Earl is clapping so someone on the internet will start a thread about it.

Few people know this but Earl is actually left handed. He only plays right handed to shark the opponent.

Brags
07-31-2017, 12:25 PM
Earl appreciates good pool. He just doesn't appreciate slow players.

garczar
07-31-2017, 12:30 PM
Earl is clapping so someone on the internet will start a thread about it.

Few people know this but Earl is actually left handed. He only plays right handed to shark the opponent.And Brags must love all his "cheater" aids.

Poolhall60561
07-31-2017, 12:50 PM
I remember one match when Efren beat him in a hill hill match with a miracle shot. Earl not only clapped he raised Efren's hand in victory. Earl respects good play.

Brags
07-31-2017, 12:52 PM
I remember one match when Efren beat him in a hill hill match with a miracle shot. Earl not only clapped he raised Efren's hand in victory. Earl respects good play.

The famous Z shot. :)
https://youtu.be/a6G_RnPh1yw?t=2m12s

ChicagoRJ
07-31-2017, 01:00 PM

Ah, now you shut down the Earl haters, that was not very nice. We have not seen an Earl bashing thread in almost 2 weeks. They need their fix, they got it bad ;)

BC21
07-31-2017, 01:01 PM
Earl is a fan of 100% quality play, no slop, no lucky rolls, etc....which is an unrealistic expectation for the game.
Even the great Pearl himself gets a good lucky roll here and there. But he's been one of my favs for too many years to recall, and I do believe he claps to show appreciation and respect. And sometimes he claps to let the crowd know something just happened that should be considered clap-worthy. I've seen him, during a runout, shoot a straight-in stop shot where the OB was just a couple of feet from the pocket, and when the crowd started to clap he turned and said "stop it", because he thinks it's stupid to clap for every shot. I'm expecting to see him wearing a helmet soon! Lol. Gotta love the guy...one of the greatest ever!

smashmouth
07-31-2017, 01:13 PM
personally I think Earl is a dick, and maybe the greatest player ever, take the good with bad

mchnhed
07-31-2017, 01:34 PM
Personally I think Earl is a dick, and maybe the greatest player ever, take the good with bad.
Take the Good with the Bad?
Just like RKC?

boogeyman
07-31-2017, 02:26 PM

Watch those matches again.

You ever notice when Earl claps it's often because he's leading the match?
Show me ONE match (other than Efren's "Z-shot") where he claps for his opponent (and isn't being a smart ass) when he is losing a match...Just find ONE match.

Anyone?

Brags
07-31-2017, 02:51 PM
Watch those matches again.

You ever notice when Earl claps it's often because he's leading the match?
Show me ONE match (other than Efren's "Z-shot") where he claps for his opponent (and isn't being a smart ass) when he is losing a match...Just find ONE match.

Anyone?

Efren is the only player I can think of...Earl respects his game.
"He was playin that."
https://youtu.be/o9l1GxOE5Yc?t=29m57s

shinobi
07-31-2017, 02:57 PM

He's not exactly known for trying to conceal his emotions. If he wanted to express sarcasm he'd make it abundantly clear.

In regards to the oft-cited time he cheered Reyes after the Z kick, that was 22 years ago.

In regards to him being a dick or not, it seems more than a little likely he has medical (mental/personality) issues. Can't be fun being his opponent on his bad days.

GoldCrown
07-31-2017, 03:06 PM
If you have not seen this....enjoy the story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GtSYMM-u9Y

klone
07-31-2017, 04:43 PM
Earl respects good solid play. He does give credit where credit's due.

9Ballr
07-31-2017, 04:51 PM

Earl loves the game and appreciates the work required to get good at it.

He will let people know if they make a difficult shot that works.

He will also show people when he likes them and when he hates them.

In that documentary also keep this in mind:

https://youtu.be/1GtSYMM-u9Y?t=26m22s

Bipolar?
Well, that explains a lot!

GoldCrown
07-31-2017, 06:13 PM
Bipolar?
Well, that explains a lot!

BiPolar....questionable. I doubt it. Has he been diagnosed or treated? I think it's an act. Earl plays at The Spot in Feastervile, Pa. He is sharp and intelligent. Has sense of humor. I do not know him personally. In the room he's ordinary guy. Very approachable. As a competitor he is fierce, a winner, emotional, bitter, likes to act out. Likes to be the center of attention. but doesn't every pool player in their own way. I do think he is sincere about complimenting his opponents.
Not being successful(money wise)as a pro player in his lifetime reinforces something someone in the poolroom said.... The best hustle is a full time job with a paycheck.

MattPoland
07-31-2017, 09:29 PM
I believe Earl just appreciates good play and is a person. He won't applaud every good shot but he will when he feels it. He won't when he doesn't. I appreciate that he recognizes that stoic play doesn't serve TV well even though it has won championships for players like Ralf and Albin.

I get that his antics turn people off. And I don't envy that his stature means he has ample footage of him on the internet being triggered (mostly by his own doing). While some of it warrants criticism at the time, I think we owe that scrutiny a break after a while as an audience. If you've personally had a bad experience then that's understandable.

hotelyorba
08-01-2017, 03:02 AM
I believe Earl just appreciates good play and is a person.
I believe he is a person too.
I get that his antics turn people off.
I can't seem to shake what I remember of his behavior the last time he was part of the USA Mosconi Cup team. I was ashamed of that, and I am not even American.
While some of it warrants criticism at the time, I think we owe that scrutiny a break after a while as an audience.
Well, you're right there -- all said and done, he's still one of the greatest of the great and apart from that, I absolutely love his playing style and stroke.

BC21
08-01-2017, 10:59 AM
I have a buddy that once told me he lived with Earl many many years ago when he was struggling to become a regular pro player (my buddy struggling, not Earl. I don't think Earl ever struggled.... seems to have been born awesome). But my friend has the same type of explosive personality as Earl, though he doesn't share an obsession with excessive safety gear. He was a hell of a player too back in the 80's and into the 90's, just had a bad table-side manner. I watched him put a 4-pack of 8-ball on a barbox in probably less than 10 minutes, then broke and scratched on the 5th break. He looked over and asked, "Can you believe that?" Then he sat down and watch the other guy shoot a few balls. This guy got out of line and played a case shot, rolled a ball slow to the corner but buried the CB in case he missed. He missed, and my buddy tapped the butt of his cue against the floor to show respect for the smart 2-way shot. Then he walked up to the table and kicked the 8 in off two rails. He shook the guys hand then immediately walked straight out the door and tried to chop a telephone pole down with his cue stick. He left pieces of splintered cue all over the parking lot, then he came back in, grabbed a house wood and went on to win the tournament. If he did live with Earl (I have no reason not to believe him), I bet that was a fun living arrangement!

JohnnyOzone
08-01-2017, 11:45 AM
Take the Good with the Bad?
Just like RKC?

take the good with the bad, just like with EVERYBODY