PDA

View Full Version : US Amateur Championships late registration?

easy-e
08-01-2017, 07:38 AM
I just stumbled across the application for this year's tournament, and it looks like I'm over a month late to register. I called but got no answer. Does anyone know if there is a late registration process? The qualifiers aren't held until next month, so why wouldn't they take registrations a little longer?

jojopiff
08-01-2017, 07:42 AM
I just stumbled across the application for this year's tournament, and it looks like I'm over a month late to register. I called but got no answer. Does anyone know if there is a late registration process? The qualifiers aren't held until next month, so why wouldn't they take registrations a little longer?

To my knowledge it is a strict cutoff. I'd missed it in the past by a couple weeks and was SOL. Now, I didn't call the main office or anything but I am very good friends with the owner in my area and he said there wasn't anything that could be done to get signed up late.

Hope it works out for ya, good luck.

easy-e
08-01-2017, 07:46 AM
To my knowledge it is a strict cutoff. I'd missed it in the past by a couple weeks and was SOL. Now, I didn't call the main office or anything but I am very good friends with the owner in my area and he said there wasn't anything that could be done to get signed up late.

Hope it works out for ya, good luck.

I have a feeling that I'm SOL also. I guess I just don't understand why they cut it off so early.

BasementDweller
08-01-2017, 09:17 AM
I would be shocked if there wasn't a way to register late since these tourneys aren't exactly....how do I say this???....money losers for the APA.

easy-e
08-01-2017, 09:20 AM
I would be shocked if there wasn't a way to register late since these tourneys aren't exactly....how do I say this???....money losers for the APA.

I know right?!?! Besides, I'd be registering late for the qualifier. Does the pool room need to know that far in advance exactly how many people will be playing? Oh well, I learned my lesson.

chevybob20
08-01-2017, 04:12 PM
They might be seeding the brackets.

easy-e
08-01-2017, 04:41 PM
They might be seeding the brackets.

How would they seed it? Are people ranked?

jojopiff
08-01-2017, 04:49 PM
How would they seed it? Are people ranked?

To my knowledge, it is seeded. The corporate office sends the brackets to each location "seeded". But seeded in the opposite way as a normal tourney. It would look like this...

1v2
3v4
5v6
7v8

Any singles qualifier events you play are done this way as well. Again, this information is simply "to my knowledge". I don't know these things for a fact but I believe this information I've been given to be correct.

chevybob20
08-01-2017, 04:51 PM
No seeding that's apparent until you play a few and then notice the spread of better players across the brackets. It was pointed out to me in Atlanta. I was doubtful initially but it seems to be holding true. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. This is my favorite tourney to play in.

Don't stop trying to sign up. Keep calling because they just might accept late entries.

captainjko
08-01-2017, 06:07 PM
I was told in the past that you must register between April 1 and June 15...... No other time to register... I played in it for the past several years... I send my application in the first week of April...