PDA

View Full Version : One Pocket Foursome

Drawback
08-02-2017, 02:49 PM
The foursome most often playing One Pocket at the billiards hall I hang out at consists of an older gentlemen who’s 88 years of age and has had a glass eye since he was a young child and knows his way around a pool table the likes of which I’ve never seen a match; a man in his sixties who has had a stroke and has difficulty speaking but no difficulty playing really talented pool, having run a pool room for many years; another man in his sixties who used to run a pool hall for many years who taught pool to just about everybody around; and me.

We all meet every day and rattle the little brown jug to shake out the numbered pills to choose up sides. It doesn’t really matter to me which team partner I get, because they’re all about evenly talented, although I’m particularly happy when I get the 88 year-old. I’m the one who I’m sure they dread getting stuck with, but they never complain aloud, much to their credit.

Three, four and five-rail banks abound in each game. Clever pass banks, two-rail shots and plenty of cross-corner banks are the order of the day. These guys are truly a treat to play with. I’ve learned so much from them, I could never repay them for all the information they’ve shared. They are always willing to help me learn.

Lately I’ve been dazzling them a little with shots I’ve learned from a book by Freddy Bentivegna I downloaded from Kindle. Shots like the “Automatic Straight Back” with varying amounts of English, some really narrow “Automatic Cross Corner” shots, “2-Railers Up and Back”, and “2-Rail Cross Corner” shots. They either know all these shots and many more or they’ve seen them done a zillion times. But, it’s fun being able to “fit in” with these wonderful buddies and enjoy pool each weekday.

I’m in my late sixties, too, and it’s a blast playing pool in my retirement and sharing many fun-filled hours with good friends.

jay helfert
08-02-2017, 05:42 PM
The foursome most often playing One Pocket at the billiards hall I hang out at consists of an older gentlemen who’s 88 years of age and has had a glass eye since he was a young child and knows his way around a pool table the likes of which I’ve never seen a match; a man in his sixties who has had a stroke and has difficulty speaking but no difficulty playing really talented pool, having run a pool room for many years; another man in his sixties who used to run a pool hall for many years who taught pool to just about everybody around; and me.

We all meet every day and rattle the little brown jug to shake out the numbered pills to choose up sides. It doesn’t really matter to me which team partner I get, because they’re all about evenly talented, although I’m particularly happy when I get the 88 year-old. I’m the one who I’m sure they dread getting stuck with, but they never complain aloud, much to their credit.

Three, four and five-rail banks abound in each game. Clever pass banks, two-rail shots and plenty of cross-corner banks are the order of the day. These guys are truly a treat to play with. I’ve learned so much from them, I could never repay them for all the information they’ve shared. They are always willing to help me learn.

Lately I’ve been dazzling them a little with shots I’ve learned from a book by Freddy Bentivegna I downloaded from Kindle. Shots like the “Automatic Straight Back” with varying amounts of English, some really narrow “Automatic Cross Corner” shots, “2-Railers Up and Back”, and “2-Rail Cross Corner” shots. They either know all these shots and many more or they’ve seen them done a zillion times. But, it’s fun being able to “fit in” with these wonderful buddies and enjoy pool each weekday.

I’m in my late sixties, too, and it’s a blast playing pool in my retirement and sharing many fun-filled hours with good friends.

One Pocket is a great game for us old fogies. You never forget how to play or what a good move looks like. You just lose a little eyesight and long shots become more difficult. Your stroke may not be as strong or as steady, but you can still play the game and compete. As for myself I've been exercising my arms daily in the jacuzzi and it seems to help with the arthritis. Soon I will try to hit balls again. Hell, I'm only 73! :smile:

bbb
08-02-2017, 05:45 PM
you are very lucky to play in the group you do
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
1 pocket is the greatest test of skill and knowledge
lmho
icbw

Keith E.
08-03-2017, 03:02 AM

Enjoy every minute, don't take any of it for granted and please let them know that they are appreciated.

Keith

Tooler
08-03-2017, 04:25 AM
We did a 1P league for a couple of years. At one point we had 10 guys.(50% were 8/9 Ballers with a growing interest in 1P, but we had a blast.

One Pocket is the Best Game Ever.......

Drawback
08-03-2017, 08:07 AM
There are two other fellows who frequently will show up and challenge the winning team. One man is 83 years old and kind of forgetful, often becoming confused about which corner pocket is his, but a really stout banker and a real fun guy. The other is a man in his late fifties who rarely misses a shot and has good strategy.

The old-timer has got the speed right down for cross corner banks and for those long two-rail banks from the opposite corner at the far end of the table.

I'll be returning to Tennessee at the end of August for a few months and I will sure miss these Arkansas guys. I'm just so delighted to have been included in their worlds and I've let them all know how much I appreciate their friendships.:)