PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with Sneaky Pete cues not being... sneaky?

WVShootist
08-03-2017, 01:47 AM
I made a post yesterday about looking for a 'beater' cue to start lugging around to random bars with me that would play well, that way I didn't run the risk of damaging equipment that I care about. I wanted a Sneaky Pete to not stand out for bringing a cue and also because the Art on cheap cues are usually tacky. (this forum is awesome by the way, for an extra $50 than I was planning to spend I bought twice the cue I was about to purchase due to recommendations.. thanks guys!)

So, I was looking over a whole galaxy of Sneaky Pete cues and it became painfully obvious to me that there are very few passable Sneaky Petes out there. I may be wrong in this but I believe the core reason behind Sneaky Pete cues (not in my case, I couldn't hustle Stevie Wonder out of a nickel) was for hustlers to walk into a place and trick the players there out of their money without sticking out like a sore thumb by using their expensive cues? Like, they're supposed to look like house cues?

So my question is, am I incorrect in my definition of a Sneaky Pete--or are all these companies incorrectly producing cues under the Sneaky Pete guise that are obviously better cues than what's hanging on the walls in bars/pool rooms?

Ched
08-03-2017, 02:16 AM
Apparently named after Peter Anthony Crisafi,

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/2592155

back in the early 1900s - but yea, it's become a very generic term these days.
FWIW - Schmelke still makes one that looks like a house cue. (and a few others)

WVShootist
08-03-2017, 02:54 AM
Apparently named after Peter Anthony Crisafi,

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/2592155

back in the early 1900s - but yea, it's become a very generic term these days.
FWIW - Schmelke still makes one that looks like a house cue. (and a few others)

Very interesting read! Thanks for the reply.

Johnnyt
08-03-2017, 03:14 AM
Can't make much money making plain sneaky pete's. Need to make them with all kinds of BS on them and call them Custom Sneaky Pete's @ $200+ a pop. Johnnyt

Texas Carom Club
08-03-2017, 04:09 AM
They look Kool sneaky and otherwise
That is all

trob
08-03-2017, 04:27 AM
Because people on here don't know what a sneaky Pete is.. they think if it doesn't have a wrap it's a sneaky Pete.. hell I've seen people on here say look at my sneaky Pete and it a wrap lol

mchnhed
08-03-2017, 05:33 AM
Howdy, I'm the guy who recommended that cue to you. You will enjoy it.

Here is a list of what makes a True Sneaky Pete.
Also a link to previous posts about incorrect recommendations for a Sneaky Pete.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?454635&p=5902189#post5902189
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True "House Cue" Sneaky Pete

1. No joint collars of any kind. Must be wood to wood. No wood tone or wood color phenolic rings either.

2. The wood to wood should be machined/turned well, to be as seamless as possible.

3. Shaft wood matching the butt as close as possible is another big plus.

4. No butt caps. House cues do not have butt caps. They are wood all the way to the bumper. A sneaky is trying to mimic a house cue. This is always forgotten.

5. No exotic woods. It can be plain as a house cue, but bocote or cocobolo will ruin the effect.

6. True house cues style points. That means no veneers, no extra-long points, only 4 points - not 5 or 6. Using the house cue type splice.

7. No inlays of any kind anywhere.

8. No long ferrules, or unusually short ferrules (like OB classic or i2). House cues don't have Meucci length ferrules.

9. No wraps of any kind.

10. No fancy or unusual bumpers. There's some leeway here, could use a Schon style bumper and be fine. Maybe a Meucci style one too which is used on some Player's cues. However, the big and large ones house cues typically have is best to maximize the effect.

11. Extreme length pro-tapers, or very small diameter shafts with very long tapers are visibly different and obvious are not recommended. Can still go with a long pro taper, just avoid the pencil shaft profiles.

12. Avoid super high luster finishes (like that of high end custom cues). They are not a good thing, in fact ...too clean of a cue is a give away also. If you are like myself, and keep a cue immaculate and clean, it will always look different and odd. Some dings and dents in the butt, a more matte finish, and some blue on the shaft is a good thing. High quality finishes really stand out, which is why cuemakers put a lot of effort into them. That's not what you want.

13. A nice touch, is the addition of a stamping on the butt's forearm indicating the cue's weight just like house cues have.

However, the days of house cue sneaky petes being sneaky are pretty much over.
Still does fool some people, some of the time.

Nostroke
08-03-2017, 05:44 AM
I made a post yesterday about looking for a 'beater' cue to start lugging around to random bars with me that would play well, that way I didn't run the risk of damaging equipment that I care about. I wanted a Sneaky Pete to not stand out for bringing a cue and also because the Art on cheap cues are usually tacky. (this forum is awesome by the way, for an extra $50 than I was planning to spend I bought twice the cue I was about to purchase due to recommendations.. thanks guys!)

So, I was looking over a whole galaxy of Sneaky Pete cues and it became painfully obvious to me that there are very few passable Sneaky Petes out there. I may be wrong in this but I believe the core reason behind Sneaky Pete cues (not in my case, I couldn't hustle Stevie Wonder out of a nickel) was for hustlers to walk into a place and trick the players there out of their money without sticking out like a sore thumb by using their expensive cues? Like, they're supposed to look like house cues?

So my question is, am I incorrect in my definition of a Sneaky Pete--or are all these companies incorrectly producing cues under the Sneaky Pete guise that are obviously better cues than what's hanging on the walls in bars/pool rooms?

For 25 years or more-every pool player on earth who would bet a quarter, knows what a sneaky pete is. They have totally lost their relevance as a "hustling tool" and now it just means a simple non fancy cue.

Who here has been fooled by a Sneaky Pete? Ahahahaha

WVShootist
08-03-2017, 05:58 AM
Howdy, I'm the guy who recommended that cue to you. You will enjoy it.

Here is a list of what makes a True Sneaky Pete.
Also a link to previous posts about incorrect recommendations for a Sneaky Pete.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?454635&p=5902189#post5902189
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True "House Cue" Sneaky Pete

1. No joint collars of any kind. Must be wood to wood. No wood tone or wood color phenolic rings either.

2. The wood to wood should be machined/turned well, to be as seamless as possible.

3. Shaft wood matching the butt as close as possible is another big plus.

4. No butt caps. House cues do not have butt caps. They are wood all the way to the bumper. A sneaky is trying to mimic a house cue. This is always forgotten.

5. No exotic woods. It can be plain as a house cue, but bocote or cocobolo will ruin the effect.

6. True house cues style points. That means no veneers, no extra-long points, only 4 points - not 5 or 6. Using the house cue type splice.

7. No inlays of any kind anywhere.

8. No long ferrules, or unusually short ferrules (like OB classic or i2). House cues don't have Meucci length ferrules.

9. No wraps of any kind.

10. No fancy or unusual bumpers. There's some leeway here, could use a Schon style bumper and be fine. Maybe a Meucci style one too which is used on some Player's cues. However, the big and large ones house cues typically have is best to maximize the effect.

11. Extreme length pro-tapers, or very small diameter shafts with very long tapers are visibly different and obvious are not recommended. Can still go with a long pro taper, just avoid the pencil shaft profiles.

12. Avoid super high luster finishes (like that of high end custom cues). They are not a good thing, in fact ...too clean of a cue is a give away also. If you are like myself, and keep a cue immaculate and clean, it will always look different and odd. Some dings and dents in the butt, a more matte finish, and some blue on the shaft is a good thing. High quality finishes really stand out, which is why cuemakers put a lot of effort into them. That's not what you want.

13. A nice touch, is the addition of a stamping on the butt's forearm indicating the cue's weight just like house cues have.

However, the days of house cue sneaky petes being sneaky are pretty much over.
Still does fool some people, some of the time.

This was great. Yea I was pretty shocked, not that I was trying to fool anyone but my original plan was to more or less try to find a house-cue looking cue. Though I feel I'll more than adequately be pleased with what I ended up going with.

Curious though, if the cue is more or less identical to a house cue--how do they differ from them that would affect the way they play?

mchnhed
08-03-2017, 06:25 AM
This was great. Yea I was pretty shocked, not that I was trying to fool anyone but my original plan was to more or less try to find a house-cue looking cue. Though I feel I'll more than adequately be pleased with what I ended up going with.

Curious though, if the cue is more or less identical to a house cue--how do they differ from them that would affect the way they play?
Quality Wood.
Drying Process.
Ferrule Material.
Tip Quality.

GideonF
08-03-2017, 06:42 AM
Quality Wood.
Drying Process.
Ferrule Material.
Tip Quality.

Add to that simply familiarity. The player who plays with the same SP knows the cue and its properties, rather than using a new Wallabuska every time.

By the way, there has been discussion on here recently about what a true hustler's cue should look like these days, with some really neat examples of cues made to look like Walmart or crappy Asian cues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cueman
08-03-2017, 06:46 AM
The main reason most custom cuemakers do not make ringless Sneaky Petes is that the failure rate of shafts cracking when no joint ring is installed is staggering. And no one wants to build cues that crack.

RickLafayette
08-03-2017, 07:22 AM
Question for OP and other elitists (LOL)

What then, do you call a Sneaky Pete that has an ivory collar, ivory Hoppe ring and four veneers on the points?

A four point no wrap? I don't know, nor have I ever met or seen anyone who tried to actually hustle players using a true to definition SP.

For what it's worth, unwrapped Titleist conversions and Sneaky Petes have sort of blended over the years to where the modern Sneaky Pete has evolved today.

mchnhed
08-03-2017, 08:12 AM
Add to that simply familiarity. The player who plays with the same SP knows the cue and its properties, rather than using a new Wallabuska every time.

By the way, there has been discussion on here recently about what a true hustler's cue should look like these days, with some really neat examples of cues made to look like Walmart or crappy Asian cues.
Speaking of Stealthy Cues......
I am having a graphics wrap done up for one of my Schons.
It will be a Budweiser theme just like the cheap $30 ones, but underneath a Good cue.

Type79
08-03-2017, 08:27 AM
Because people on here don't know what a sneaky Pete is.. they think if it doesn't have a wrap it's a sneaky Pete.. hell I've seen people on here say look at my sneaky Pete and it a wrap lol

Basically, newer players on the internet forums have abandoned the proper use of the term Sneaky Pete as well as the terms Plain Jane and Merry Widow.

michael4
08-03-2017, 08:29 AM
Who here has been fooled by a Sneaky Pete? Ahahahaha

People have thought my cue was a "house cue" and placed it back on the wall rack......

Lots of threads about that sort of thing happening...

mchnhed
08-03-2017, 08:35 AM
People have thought my cue was a "house cue" and placed it back on the wall rack......
Lots of threads about that sort of thing happening...
I had to place my initials on the face of the joint to 'prove' the cue was mine!

Sweatin'
08-03-2017, 08:46 AM
I wondered the same thing as the OP.

You might want to have a look at the Eliminator sneaky Pete on eBay by the seller billiardsheaven. $39.95 including fast free shipping and about as sneaky as it gets. If you rubbed off the name and weight with a little steel wool it would be indistinguishable from a house cue; the joint is totally invisible.

Funny thing is, it's really a pretty decent cue in it's own right regardless of the cheap price.

WVShootist
08-03-2017, 09:03 AM

What then, do you call a Sneaky Pete that has an ivory collar, ivory Hoppe ring and four veneers on the points?

A four point no wrap? I don't know, nor have I ever met or seen anyone who tried to actually hustle players using a true to definition SP.

For what it's worth, unwrapped Titleist conversions and Sneaky Petes have sort of blended over the years to where the modern Sneaky Pete has evolved today.

Elitist? What? Lol....

I'm a C player who posts here when I'm bored at work. I can assure you I'm the furthest thing from arrogant that you'll find on this forum. That said, I didn't realize the term had basically been opened up to mean 'generally plain cue.' I was confused by all of the cues being advertised as a SP that were obviously not a bar cue.

Luckily there's a place where a novice pool enthusiast, such as myself, can turn to learn such things! Honestly though, it's pretty amazing that this forum exists. There's some pretty fascinating stuff (especially in the History of Pool section)here along with a wealth of knowledge from users. Thanks everyone for the replies.

billiardthought
08-03-2017, 09:05 AM
Basically, newer players on the internet forums have abandoned the proper use of the term Sneaky Pete as well as the terms Plain Jane and Merry Widow.

I am curious to know the legitimate old school version of what plain jane and merry widow are? I see it debated over and over. I am aware what a true sneaky pete is.

Tony_in_MD
08-03-2017, 09:07 AM
Wish I could find a custom sneaky pete @ 200 dollars.

See them now for 600-800!

Can't make much money making plain sneaky pete's. Need to make them with all kinds of BS on them and call them Custom Sneaky Pete's @ $200+ a pop. Johnnyt

WVShootist
08-03-2017, 09:07 AM
I had to place my initials on the face of the joint to 'prove' the cue was mine!

I read your linked post btw about your sneaky build and now the Budlight build (I cringe at themed cues but still, genius) that said a nice touch might be to blue the shit out of the ferrule with chalk. I was taught how to chalk properly recently and noticed my cue is the only one at the bar with a clean ferrule. Haha

Just realized the budweiser cue was from a different guy.

HawaiianEye
08-03-2017, 09:10 AM
The main reason most custom cuemakers do not make ringless Sneaky Petes is that the failure rate of shafts cracking when no joint ring is installed is staggering. And no one wants to build cues that crack.

I'm not trying to badmouth any custom cue makers, but I have a "cheap" rosewood Sneaky Pete made by Players that I have played the hell out of and use as a breaking cue and it has a warranty. I have used it for several years.

I knock the hell out of the balls with it and the ringless joint is seamless and it completely resembles a one-piece cue. There is no cracking at all and it looks like was just made.

Are you saying that most custom cue makers can't make their cues to the standards that Chinese-made Players cues can?

HawaiianEye
08-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Wish I could find a custom sneaky pete @ 200 dollars.

See them now for 600-800!

Schmelke.

I just had one made and nobody will beat the price for the quality you will get.

pdcue
08-03-2017, 09:17 AM

That was the thinking 50 years ago, but, if you think you're going to fool anyone
with a sneaky these days, you must associate with some extra dumb persons,
or...

Things change.

Dale

Type79
08-03-2017, 10:24 AM
I am curious to know the legitimate old school version of what plain jane and merry widow are? I see it debated over and over. I am aware what a true sneaky pete is.

Merry Widow - A two-piece cue in which the butt is made from one solid piece of wood. Can be wrapped or wrapless and include inlays and fancy ringwork or not. The term refers to the construction of the cue.

Plain Jane - A two-piece cue that is unadorned, has no inlays or fancy ringwork. Can have points or a solid forearm. The term refers to the cosmetic appearance of the cue.

mchnhed
08-03-2017, 11:37 AM
Schmelke.
I just had one made and nobody will beat the price for the quality you will get.
Final cost? Include taxes and s&h.
Pictures, please.
Wood(s) used?
Thanks

skip100
08-03-2017, 11:40 AM
Given that the days of hustlers making a living traveling around the country pretending to be worse than they really are appear to be over, the need for a true Sneaky Pete is questionable at best.

mchnhed
08-03-2017, 11:41 AM
Plain Jane
A two-piece cue that is unadorned, has no inlays or fancy ringwork. Can have points or a solid forearm.
The term refers to the cosmetic appearance of the cue.
Having Points would keep it from being 'plain', wouldn't it?
At what point does a cue stop being a Plain Jane if it can have points?
How about this Viking Cue? It has one ring and points. Is it still a 'Plain Jane'?
Or this Mezz Cues Cue? It has a couple of rings and points.
I'm so confused!
Thank You

mchnhed
08-03-2017, 11:48 AM
Given that the days of hustlers making a living traveling around the country pretending to be worse than they really are appear to be over, the need for a true Sneaky Pete is questionable at best.
It's not the need but the correctness.
When I say I have a True SP. I want one that is period correct and 'could' have been used in the Hustler Days of Old.
Let's say I need the cue for a Pool Movie set in that time period.
If we used an SP with rings and a plastic butt end, you AzBer's would be all over me.

RickLafayette
08-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Elitist? What? Lol....

I'm a C player who posts here when I'm bored at work. I can assure you I'm the furthest thing from arrogant that you'll find on this forum. That said, I didn't realize the term had basically been opened up to mean 'generally plain cue.' I was confused by all of the cues being advertised as a SP that were obviously not a bar cue.

Luckily there's a place where a novice pool enthusiast, such as myself, can turn to learn such things! Honestly though, it's pretty amazing that this forum exists. There's some pretty fascinating stuff (especially in the History of Pool section)here along with a wealth of knowledge from users. Thanks everyone for the replies.

I used the word "elitists" tongue in cheek, thus the LOL. I'm still waiting for an answer to my question, though. What if you take a house cue, put a joint and a Hoppe ring on it, maybe change the ferrule and tip, what do you call it? Most people that make, sell and buy them still call it a Sneaky Pete.

Patrick53212
08-03-2017, 01:01 PM
I have an old Meucci Sneaky Pete that I purchased in probably 1996...apart from the ferrule being slightly longer than a typical house cue it looks just like a Valley house cue and I have had several instances where people pick it up accidentally when I have used it at bars and pool halls. It is wood on wood at the joint...no butt plate, just simple rubber bumper. In fact, the bumper and ferrule are really the only way you know it is a Meucci and you would only know that if you had ever seen or used one. I took out the weight in it because it was probably 21oz and was very back heavy (a war hammer!). I love that cue and still have it. I recently had it refinished because it was so beat up that the clear coating had come off in places. It looks great now...not brand new looking but certainly a lot better. The joint is also a lot less noticeable as it had gotten kind of "dirty" looking around the joint. The issue with these cues is that the ferrules used to crack and I do not break with it because of that. The ferrule has held up just fine and I have owned it for a LONG time now.

mchnhed
08-03-2017, 01:01 PM
I used the word "elitists" tongue in cheek, thus the LOL. I'm still waiting for an answer to my question, though. What if you take a house cue, put a joint and a Hoppe ring on it, maybe change the ferrule and tip, what do you call it? Most people that make, sell and buy them still call it a Sneaky Pete.
I think the distinction is between a "True SP" and an SP.

A Hoppe Ring Cue was described to me by an AzBer.....
Any cue with a single thin white ring at the bottom is considered a Hoppe style.

Most House Cues I've seen do not have a ring or a butt cap.

*** The Thin, White Ring was originally called a "Rambro Ring" ***

A visible joint would not make it a True SP.
Changing the ferrule is no big deal.

cuenut
08-03-2017, 01:14 PM

I would call it a Hoppe style conversion. No Hoppe ring, just a house cue conversion.

WVShootist
08-03-2017, 02:01 PM

I wouldn't immediately think of it as a sneaky, personally.

DaveK
08-03-2017, 03:35 PM
My opinion is that this is all semantics and for the purist a true sneaky pete still exists.

I agree with the Schmelke suggestion. I have three of them, each with a different shaft taper, and they are excellent cues for the price.

Pictures are at this link for the one who asked, price is $105US, shipping shouldn't be that much (and likely reasonable web skills might find the actual S&H on the site) :

http://schmelkecue.com/billiard-cues/schmelke-cues/r020-4-prong-rosewood.html

Then there is the Dufferin Phantom :

https://www.fgbradleys.com/Product/131/Dufferin-Phantom-58-----12-5mm-Pool-Cue-664

I have two, both older and made in Canada but I hear the current ones are pretty good still. $99 Canadian so perhaps $80 USD, again shipping is homework for the interested.

I also have two custom purist-sneakies (OK, they have butt caps, sue me), one made by Scott Gracio the other from a Florida maker whose name I forgot but it is built with a John Davis blank. Cues 4 and 9 in the picture. My other custom full splice cues are more in line with what Mr Hightower was suggesting, a full splice cue with joint collars (and some with butt caps and a few with rings ... so maybe "fancy sneaky" is a good term for them).

Dave

DaveK
08-03-2017, 03:38 PM
Final cost? Include taxes and s&h.
Pictures, please.
Wood(s) used?
Thanks

http://schmelkecue.com/billiard-cues/schmelke-cues.html?cat=34

Dave

pt109
08-03-2017, 03:45 PM
This an example of the Predator 'Sneaky Pete' line....
...are you kidding me????? :confused:

THIS is a sneaky pete

The vernacular keeps changing the language....we have to invent new terms to keep up.
.....they need product names like 'REAL cream' now...
..people play 'table stakes' poker and call it 'no limit'....

I guess you better read this post quickly....before the meaning changes...:)

Agent 99
08-03-2017, 03:48 PM
Here is an excellent traditional Sneaky -- It's a fantastic cue at a great price.

http://www.tigerproducts.com/th-2.html

Seyberts is selling it for $407.00...

https://www.seyberts.com/tiger-sneaky-pete-cues/tiger-sneaky-pete-th-2-pool-cue/

RickLafayette
08-03-2017, 04:35 PM
Here is an excellent traditional Sneaky -- It's a fantastic cue at a great price.

http://www.tigerproducts.com/th-2.html

Seyberts is selling it for $407.00...

https://www.seyberts.com/tiger-sneaky-pete-cues/tiger-sneaky-pete-th-2-pool-cue/

Sorry Agent, Sneaky Petes don't have veneers (according to the traditionalists)

Black-Balled
08-03-2017, 05:54 PM

That is same thing my cuemaker told me.

Biggest difference between off the wall and other is taper of shaft, in my experience.

Agent 99
08-03-2017, 05:57 PM
Sorry Agent, Sneaky Petes don't have veneers (according to the traditionalists)

I guess I did not know the ground rules ... But that Tiger certainly has the 'Wallabushka' look going on .. and it plays great with a Tiger Ultra shaft. If you have a shaft you want to use you can send it to Tiger and they will match the butt to it ...

Just another option.

mchnhed
08-05-2017, 06:55 AM
Sneakiest Pete for sale on Fleabay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/the-Sneakiest-Pete-Cue-must-read-decrpition-/272791562490?hash=item3f83a4e8fa:g:-4AAAOSwF3JZhTt2

pt109
08-05-2017, 08:38 AM
Steve Oaks outta Terre Haute had a pretty sneaky pete....
...it looked like an aluminum butt and a wood shaft.

When he finally started to play tournaments, Varner hit with the cue...
...couldn't believe how good it played.

Steve finally peeled off the stuff he had sprayed with aluminum paint...
...it was a top of the line Joss....:smile:

mchnhed
08-05-2017, 08:44 AM
Steve Oaks outta Terre Haute had a pretty sneaky pete....
...it looked like an aluminum butt and a wood shaft.

When he finally started to play tournaments, Varner hit with the cue...
...couldn't believe how good it played.

Steve finally peeled off the stuff he had sprayed with aluminum paint...
...it was a top of the line Joss....:smile:
Try a graphics wrap printed with Budweiser Logos on a Schon!

Moet.1977
08-05-2017, 04:51 PM
Dave K the cue that you can't remember the name of? Well looks just like my old Ca$h cue made from a John Davis blank. I sold it about a year and half ago, it was originally build for Rusty Melton. If it's the same cue and it looks like it from that picture.

MissippiBrock
08-05-2017, 05:44 PM
I've got an all black predator P3 with a revo and most people think it's one of those graphite cues from Walmart, lol. It's not a sneaky *pete, but it's definitely sneaky. I think I'm going to change my alligator wrap to something less conspicuous looking though. Anyone tried or like shark skin? I'm into textured wraps

SMG
08-06-2017, 02:16 PM
I had little Al Romero make me a "super sneaky"... when I told him what I wanted he gave me the weirdest look.... "Y THO"

DaveK
08-07-2017, 08:52 AM
Dave K the cue that you can't remember the name of? Well looks just like my old Ca$h cue made from a John Davis blank. I sold it about a year and half ago, it was originally build for Rusty Melton. If it's the same cue and it looks like it from that picture.

I bought it from cfrandy here on AZ in 2014 (yes, I keep a few PMs :) ). It is a nice cue with 2 aftermarket breaking shafts (Ultra-X and IceBreaker). The only hand rubbed oil finished cue in my collection. It is also pretty darned sneaky if you don't see the shaft logos :lol:

Dave

Ghosst
08-07-2017, 09:17 AM
So, I was looking over a whole galaxy of Sneaky Pete cues and it became painfully obvious to me that there are very few passable Sneaky Petes out there.

(snip)

Like, they're supposed to look like house cues?

The danger in this Pete is that if I leave it unattended for a minute some drunk will think he found a half-decent house cue and bang it off the rails to make sure it's "straight".

poolguy4u
08-07-2017, 02:56 PM
I have an old Meucci Sneaky Pete that I purchased in probably 1996...apart from the ferrule being slightly longer than a typical house cue it looks just like a Valley house cue and I have had several instances where people pick it up accidentally when I have used it at bars and pool halls. It is wood on wood at the joint...no butt plate, just simple rubber bumper. In fact, the bumper and ferrule are really the only way you know it is a Meucci and you would only know that if you had ever seen or used one. I took out the weight in it because it was probably 21oz and was very back heavy (a war hammer!). I love that cue and still have it. I recently had it refinished because it was so beat up that the clear coating had come off in places. It looks great now...not brand new looking but certainly a lot better. The joint is also a lot less noticeable as it had gotten kind of "dirty" looking around the joint. The issue with these cues is that the ferrules used to crack and I do not break with it because of that. The ferrule has held up just fine and I have owned it for a LONG time now.

:eek:

Looks like a Valley house cue....because it is a Valley.

So easy to duplicate an old Meucci.

:thumbup:

Patrick53212
08-08-2017, 07:13 AM
:eek:

Looks like a Valley house cue....because it is a Valley.

So easy to duplicate an old Meucci.

:thumbup:

I purchased my Meucci Sneaky Pete back in the early to mid-90's. I bought it brand new at Ride The Rail off Telegraph Road in Oakville, MO. This is a suburb of St. Louis, MO. The pool hall is no longer open...at least it wasn't the last time I was in the area. I hung out there a lot up until I moved from the area in 1999. Here are some pictures I took recently...this is after having it refinished with a Kamui Black tip installed and removing the internal weight. It maybe weighs 18 oz...not sure.

BigBoof
08-10-2017, 05:32 AM
This an example of the Predator 'Sneaky Pete' line....
...are you kidding me????? :confused:

THIS is a sneaky pete

The vernacular keeps changing the language....we have to invent new terms to keep up.
.....they need product names like 'REAL cream' now...
..people play 'table stakes' poker and call it 'no limit'....

I guess you better read this post quickly....before the meaning changes...:)Table stakes does not really refer to betting limits. I first heard the term in a limit game where a player could be all in for what they started with or pull out money during the hand. There is no need to protect players for a limit bet. No limit games are just always set as table stakes so you aren't screwed if Jeff Bezos shows up.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

pt109
08-10-2017, 09:30 AM
Table stakes does not really refer to betting limits. I first heard the term in a limit game where a player could be all in for what they started with or pull out money during the hand. There is no need to protect players for a limit bet. No limit games are just always set as table stakes so you aren't screwed if Jeff Bezos shows up.

I played a fair amount of five card stud years ago...I always preferred 'table stakes' as
opposed to limit.
...our rules were simple...whatever you had on the table...that's what you could bet.
You couldn't add money after the cards were dealt...only between hands.

Most of the well run games....there was a limit to how much you could issue...
....which made skill predominate.

A no-limit game?...never seen one other than movies...like 'Big Hand for a Little Lady.

BigBoof
08-10-2017, 10:37 AM
I played a fair amount of five card stud years ago...I always preferred 'table stakes' as
opposed to limit.
...our rules were simple...whatever you had on the table...that's what you could bet.
You couldn't add money after the cards were dealt...only between hands.

Most of the well run games....there was a limit to how much you could issue...
....which made skill predominate.

A no-limit game?...never seen one other than movies...like 'Big Hand for a Little Lady.My point is that all public poker games (casino poker rooms) are "table stakes". If you are playing 15-30 limit and only have 20 left on the river, you are all in for 20. No obligation nor ability to pull out $10 to complete the bet.

pt109
08-10-2017, 11:18 AM
My point is that all public poker games (casino poker rooms) are "table stakes". If you are playing 15-30 limit and only have 20 left on the river, you are all in for 20. No obligation nor ability to pull out $10 to complete the bet.

Not going for it....at 'limit' games you could reach into your pocket or borrow money.
....or you could say "That's all I got and create side pots if more than two were in.

...'table stakes' means what the term implies.

We had a lot of table stakes games that were $100 buy in....
...but the most you could issue was $300 at any time.

hang-the-9
08-10-2017, 11:19 AM

Fancy Sneaky Petes

I think any full splice, no wrap, no inlay cue is a "Fancy Sneaky Pete" or just called a "Sneaky Pete" if it does not have very noticeable fancy rings. I recently got a new cue that was full splice with a white joint and some rings with fancy wood, I just call it a "custom cue", I don't think if it as a Sneaky Pete" cue even though it's fairly plain.

pt109
08-10-2017, 11:23 AM
Fancy Sneaky Petes

That's a 'pretty ugly' contradiction of terms....:)