PDA

View Full Version : Master Chalk with small washer attached.

JoeyA
08-03-2017, 04:14 PM
I'm biased about this chalk/washer, so take that into consideration before you reply.

As some of you may know, I have been testing a magnetic chalk holder and chalk with metal washers attached.

I feel like if you use Master Chalk on every shot, you really don't need anything else. I treat chalking as part of my pre-shot routine so I chalk on virtually every shot.

I've been attaching metal washers by using an electric glue gun. It works pretty well. Occasionally, the washer will come off before the chalk is half-used but most last until the chalk is half used.

The magnet that I use is attached via epoxy to a plastic cell phone holder CLIP made by Life Force. The clip is practically indestructible. The magnet is a rare earth magnet and holds the chalk EXTREMELY tight. I usually try to slide the chalk off of the magnet instead of pulling it at 90 degrees because the latter puts too much pull on the washer and I think that is what causes some of the washer early removal but not all.

I don't use chalk after it gets 50% worn and usually just leave the chalk at the pool room. I buy a full box of chalk at a time and glue maybe 15 washers on at a time and carry 4-6 in my cue case.

I'm not interested in a job but others may be: My question to you magnetic chalk holder people is: Would you buy chalk which has a metal washer glued to the chalk and how much would you pay?

(Of course many people wouldn't pay extra for Master Chalk because they get it for free at most pool rooms and some don't use Master chalk and some don't use magnetic chalk holders. So really, I am interested in the opinions of those who are currently using magnetic chalk holders are who would be interested in using magnetic chalk holders. FTR, I have never like the bulkiness of most chalk holding systems, so I devised my own. I like feeling the chalk in my hand and don't like feeling the holder or having unnecessary or bulky holders, but that's just me.)
Again, I am not interested in making a job of this but I wouldn't mind someone else capitalizing on my idea. I have been using the glued washer system for more than 6 months and it works to "my" satisfaction. It's not perfect, but it's inexpensive and requires only a minimum amount of learning curve to glue the washers effectively.

This requires a little elbow grease but if you pay attention to the gluing method you can effectively fasten the washer to the chalk.

Let's hear how many people would use such a product and how much would you pay?

Thanks for your candid responses.

JoeyA

mchnhed
08-03-2017, 04:35 PM
I just slide my cube into the bottom half of the magnetic holder I bought for $2.37 including shipping.
If it's loose I just add a layer of Scotch Tape to the cube to make it snug.
I don't put the silly top on.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-Snooker-Billiards-Pool-Table-PU-Leather-Cue-Chalk-Holder-with-Belt-Clip-/351744005484?hash=item51e593956c:g:VgsAAOSwBPNXSDP 7

GideonF
08-03-2017, 04:59 PM
I use a Cuetec magnetic holder that I bought a few years ago. In this case, the magnetic part is attached to the chalk. I liked it because it is a super powerful magnet whereas others I had seen the chalk would fall off if you knocked it. Here is a link to it (for some reason to some supplier in the Middle East because it came up first - https://www.knightshot.com/product/chalk-holder-cuetec-magnetic-2/ ) The only thing I don't like about it is that as you get down in the chalk, the sides of the holder cause a problem.

Back to your question, I think Chris Renfro's Outsville does what you are talking about - their chalk comes with the washer or whatever affixed to the chalk. https://outsville-com.3dcartstores.com/MBS--GW-Starter-Combo-Mako-Blue-Color-_p_79.html

bwally
08-03-2017, 05:21 PM
I'm biased about this chalk/washer, so take that into consideration before you reply.

As some of you may know, I have been testing a magnetic chalk holder and chalk with metal washers attached.

I feel like if you use Master Chalk on every shot, you really don't need anything else. I treat chalking as part of my pre-shot routine so I chalk on virtually every shot.

I've been attaching metal washers by using an electric glue gun. It works pretty well. Occasionally, the washer will come off before the chalk is half-used but most last until the chalk is half used.

The magnet that I use is attached via epoxy to a plastic cell phone holder CLIP made by Life Force. The clip is practically indestructible. The magnet is a rare earth magnet and holds the chalk EXTREMELY tight. I usually try to slide the chalk off of the magnet instead of pulling it at 90 degrees because the latter puts too much pull on the washer and I think that is what causes some of the washer early removal but not all.

I don't use chalk after it gets 50% worn and usually just leave the chalk at the pool room. I buy a full box of chalk at a time and glue maybe 15 washers on at a time and carry 4-6 in my cue case.

I'm not interested in a job but others may be: My question to you magnetic chalk holder people is: Would you buy chalk which has a metal washer glued to the chalk and how much would you pay?

(Of course many people wouldn't pay extra for Master Chalk because they get it for free at most pool rooms and some don't use Master chalk and some don't use magnetic chalk holders. So really, I am interested in the opinions of those who are currently using magnetic chalk holders are who would be interested in using magnetic chalk holders. FTR, I have never like the bulkiness of most chalk holding systems, so I devised my own. I like feeling the chalk in my hand and don't like feeling the holder or having unnecessary or bulky holders, but that's just me.)
Again, I am not interested in making a job of this but I wouldn't mind someone else capitalizing on my idea. I have been using the glued washer system for more than 6 months and it works to "my" satisfaction. It's not perfect, but it's inexpensive and requires only a minimum amount of learning curve to glue the washers effectively.

This requires a little elbow grease but if you pay attention to the gluing method you can effectively fasten the washer to the chalk.

Thanks for your candid responses.

JoeyADo you cut the paper off the bottom of the chalk? I do the washer thing too but I cut off the paper in the bottom of the cube. Cover the entire bottom of the cube with the glue as well. This way the washer will never come off.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Black-Balled
08-03-2017, 05:34 PM
Hey, I talked to your sister yesterday and she wants her damn chalk holder back.

Yeah, I said it.
:duck:

Bavafongoul
08-03-2017, 06:39 PM
Personally, I have settled on using a high quality chalk pouch I get from Craftsman Cues in Bormingham, England.
It can be positioned comfortably on your belt or waistband and re-positioning it is just so simple assuming you had to do that.
The chalk drops into the pocket easily and doesn't come ot while you play. I have a few versionsl in different colors and brands.

jasonlaus
08-03-2017, 06:45 PM
I settled on placing the chalk on the table as has been done for billions of hrs of play - why create a problem when there is none?
Jason

mchnhed
08-03-2017, 06:52 PM
Personally, I have settled on using a high quality chalk pouch I get from Craftsman Cues in Bormingham, England.
It can be positioned comfortably on your belt or waistband and re-positioning it is just so simple assuming you had to do that.
The chalk drops into the pocket easily and doesn't come ot while you play. I have a few versionsl in different colors and brands.
Like this?
http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalog/Chalk-holders---chalk-pouches.html
$2 knockoff on e-bay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Faux-Leather-Chalk-Holder-Pouch-with-Clip-Pool-Billiards-Snooker-Cue-Artificial-/201761961559?hash=item2ef9f33657:g:GfYAAOSwEzxYPoF D
Their Magnetic Chalk Holder is pretty sweet. About $23 USD plus shipping from the UK.

mchnhed
08-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Cuesoul Chalk Holder is nice for $11 w/free shipping on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUESOUL-Black-Billiards-Magnetic-Pool-Cue-Chalk-Holder-with-Belt-Clip-/172245612199?hash=item281aa376a7:g:XNwAAOSw3YNXZOZ b

Z-Nole
08-03-2017, 07:06 PM
Are you not allowed to put chalk on the table where you play? This is just something else I can forget when I leave.

ChicagoRJ
08-03-2017, 07:07 PM
MEZZ came out with a metal bottom on their chalk. A little pricey, but if folks like that kind of thing, go for it. I can't bad mouth them, they make nice cues. Love my Mezz Power Break 2. Plus, I have no intention of doing anything that requires more work :)

Agent 99
08-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Like this?
http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalog/Chalk-holders---chalk-pouches.html
$2 knockoff on e-bay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Faux-Leather-Chalk-Holder-Pouch-with-Clip-Pool-Billiards-Snooker-Cue-Artificial-/201761961559?hash=item2ef9f33657:g:GfYAAOSwEzxYPoF D
Their Magnetic Chalk Holder is pretty sweet. About $23 USD plus shipping from the UK.

Very nice .. do you put a belt through it and wear it like that?

I use my front left pants pocket .. pull it out and put it back in every shot.

The chalk gets on the pants but I never really cared .. why should I?

For two bucks I might give one a try...

Agent 99
08-03-2017, 07:15 PM
Are you not allowed to put chalk on the table where you play? This is just something else I can forget when I leave.

I do not like to leave my chalk on the table because I do not want my opponent messing it up ... I do not want him to use it.

That's just how this old fussy bastad rolls .. :D

Dead Money
08-03-2017, 10:39 PM
I solved the chalk holder dilemma by not using chalk.

mchnhed
08-04-2017, 05:43 AM
In some Countries you have to provide your own chalk and it's $2 for a cube of Imported Master Chalk.
Master Chalk has "knockoffs" because it's so valuable!
You Yanks have such a limited view of the World.

I settled on placing the chalk on the table as has been done for billions of hrs of play - why create a problem when there is none?
Jason
I do not like to leave my chalk on the table because I do not want my opponent messing it up ... I do not want him to use it.
That's just how this old fussy bastad rolls .. :D

Tony_in_MD
08-04-2017, 05:58 AM
Be afraid, be very afraid.

http://www.electricsense.com/10566/magnetic-fields-infertility/

LOL

mchnhed
08-04-2017, 06:10 AM
LOL
EMFs created by household wiring.
Lesson learned: Don't wrap an extension cord around your testicles.

JoeyA
08-04-2017, 10:02 AM
Do you cut the paper off the bottom of the chalk? I do the washer thing too but I cut off the paper in the bottom of the cube. Cover the entire bottom of the cube with the glue as well. This way the washer will never come off.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

No, I don't cut the paper off of the bottom of the chalk and while it sounds like a great idea, I don't like the additional step. :frown:
JoeyA

JoeyA
08-04-2017, 10:05 AM
Yes, I've used the pocket chalk holders that some of the snooker players use and they work great. Every once in a while the chalk might jump out of the pouch when I jump up on a shot real high. :grin:

They're great. I bought one from of the AZB girls and it worked great for a while but eventually, the sewn thread came loose and she quit making them, so that's where I am now.

JoeyA

JoeyA
08-04-2017, 10:10 AM
Chalk is a personal thing for me. I don't like having to ask my opponent for the chalk when he takes it as he leaves the pool table or have to walk around the table to pick up a piece of chalk. I also like to use a relatively new piece of chalk and don't like the chalk that is worn half way through. if You carry your own chalk, no problem. :D

JoeyA

Jason

JoeyA
08-04-2017, 10:12 AM
I've even used one of these, but as I mentioned previously, I don't like the housing that goes around the chalk. It makes the chalk too bulky for my taste. Each to his own , I suppose.

Joeya

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUESOUL-Black-Billiards-Magnetic-Pool-Cue-Chalk-Holder-with-Belt-Clip-/172245612199?hash=item281aa376a7:g:XNwAAOSw3YNXZOZ b

JoeyA
08-04-2017, 10:14 AM
That looks like click bait to me. But you never know.....:thumbup:

JoeyA

LOL

JoeyA
08-04-2017, 10:18 AM
I guess since no one mentioned how much they would pay for Master Chalk with a washer, there isn't a market for it. :D:D:D

Still, I like using my chalk system over all of the others but that's me and my sister. :D:D:D

JoeyA

Bavafongoul
08-04-2017, 11:12 AM
Yup, I have Master Cue chalk pouchs, as well as Peradon and both really
seem to be equal quality and use better, softer leather than others I've seen.

TommyT
08-04-2017, 12:23 PM

I have the same one but replaced the magnet with a rare earth disc that is way stronger and works great.

strmanglr scott
08-04-2017, 01:33 PM
You Yanks have such a limited view of the World.

It's directly proportional to how much I play outside the country.

Besides, if I kept my chalk on me and off the table how would I mark the table?

Nine ... corner
08-04-2017, 02:11 PM
Jason

Yeah, what Jason said! OK, maybe if you're using one of those $100/cube chalks ( maybe a slight exaggeration) but Masters isn't really too expensive, right? Bring two cubes and if you forget to gather them up ... big deal. Also, eliminates you looking like a pansy with a chalk holster, bag or any kind of cute gizmo. :)

MitchAlsup
08-04-2017, 02:30 PM

I am a player that uses Master Blue Chalk, and I use it until it has almost disappeared. Each cube last me about 1-1.5 years.

I got a box of 25 pieces with my pool table (7 years ago) and it is about 1/2 done.

If I were to buy Master Chalk cubes in a box (gross) they cost about $0.25 each.
A washer costs <let's say> $0.02 in bulk.
Hot glue costs <let's say> $0.03 per drop.

So, my guess is that you would have to sell them at less than $0.50 each to have a market.

pdcue
08-05-2017, 02:13 AM

Oh you yanks. As every gentleman knows, the chalk belongs in the pocket of
ones waistcoat.

Carry on.

Dale

lorider
08-05-2017, 10:04 AM
I use a cue Tec chalk holder. Like you Joey I dont like using chalk when it gets wore down. When I gets even with the holder I just take the chalk out and leave it at the pool hall. The magnet was not very strong on the first one I got 3 years ago. Any little bump and it would fall off the belt clip. I finally lost it after 6-7 months

I went without one for about a year but really liked the conscience of having it on my belt. So I went down to the billiard store lookin for something I thought nigh be better. The owner told me to try another cue Tec because they now used stronger magnets. I checked it out before I bought one and he was right. You gotta tug on it now to take the chalk holder off the belt clip. I have occasional bumped something while wearing I and the holder may slide a little but has never fallen off

I also use great white sometimes and just attach it to my cue Tec belt clip. The great white magnet does not seem quite as strong as the cue Tec holder but so far I have not had any issues in the last few months with it.

JoeyA
08-06-2017, 07:07 AM
Mitch,
With chalk users like you, a seller would have to go on the government dole to survive. Lol

All kidding aside, your numbers look okay, except they don't appear to cover the labor costs of applying and smoothing the glue.

The next time I make a batch of MC glued washers, I will have to time myself to see how long it takes to process 15 pieces of chalk.

I'm just estimating right now but it probably takes me 2 minutes to properly fasten the washer to the chalk. 30 pieces of chalk per hour would mean a person could earn $6.00 per hour if they earned $.20 per each chalk. :eek::eek::eek:

If I removed the paper from the bottom of the chalk, it would involve even more time. :eek:

In my mind, an entrepreneur should think long and hard before embarking on this enterprise. There doesn't seem to be a market for it nor is there enough profit in such a simple process to justify selling it.

I'll continue attaching chalk for my personal use and won't recommend anyone to go into this business. (Just thought about it just now, but we didn't include any packaging or in our estimates....WHEW :yikes:) And don't forget about shipping costs. These days many people expect "free" shipping.

JoeyA

I am a player that uses Master Blue Chalk, and I use it until it has almost disappeared. Each cube last me about 1-1.5 years.

I got a box of 25 pieces with my pool table (7 years ago) and it is about 1/2 done.

If I were to buy Master Chalk cubes in a box (gross) they cost about $0.25 each.
A washer costs <let's say> $0.02 in bulk.
Hot glue costs <let's say> $0.03 per drop.

So, my guess is that you would have to sell them at less than $0.50 each to have a market.

rhinobywilhite
08-06-2017, 09:07 AM

LOL

Finally, an answer. I thought it was because I was 72!