PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried out any of the fake cheap copycat cues from China?

justinb386
08-05-2017, 01:36 AM
Has anyone ever noticed, or tried out one of those fake cheap copycat cues (that are trying to copy the 8K Series Predator cues)?

I was going to post a link that I found (to show the cues in question), but thought it might get me in trouble.

They do not say Predator on them, but they do have a similar looking logo, and say 8K in the butt.

They also advertise to having an 8 piece laminated shaft.

They very much look similar to the 8K Series Predator cues.

http://www.predatorcues.com/pool-cues/8k-series-cues/

I do not know, but but I keep wondering if any of these cheap fake copycat cues might possibly be decent hitting cues. Probably not, but I like to gamble sometimes, on items that intrigue me.

I understand that they are probably very far from the quality of the real thing, but I will never be able to afford the real thing (being the 8K Series, which starts out at $699 and up).

I understand that you get what you pay for though, and if you buy a cheap product, then 9 times out of 10 (or maybe 10 times out of 10), you are going to get cheap quality for the cheap price tag.

I know I will probably get bashed for creating this thread, and asking about those cheap rip off copy cat cues, but I thought it might be an interesting topic to talk about.

How poor is the quality probably going to be with cues like that (that are trying their best to copy the tech from a high end cue company like Predator)?

Have they probably failed miserably, and are selling a very low quality cue, or is it possible that the quality might be half way decent, and worth the price tag?

This is off topic, but has anyone tried out any cues from a cue company called Peri?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PERI-Pool-Cue-EX-07-custom-stain-BEM-Wood-and-Rosewood-19-50oz-12-75mm/252647386816?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I know they are from China (so the quality is a big question mark), but at least they are not trying to copy cat any other cue makers cues or designs, and may actually make a decent hitting cue. I do not know, but I like that they use a nice wood to wood joint (Looks like a Radial pin), and their cues look nice, in my opinion.

Maybe I am being a foolish idiot for even thinking about buying something like this stuff, with no known reviews about their quality, and knowing nothing about their quality.

Interesting unknown cues intrigue me though.

TILT9
08-05-2017, 02:00 AM
Cheap Long Handled Broom Stick from the corner 99cent store.

justinb386
08-05-2017, 03:13 AM
Cheap Long Handled Broom Stick from the corner 99cent store.

Okay, well, even if they did hit decent, I am sure that nobody on here would publicly admit it.

garczar
08-05-2017, 04:46 AM
Warning: Troll alert

mchnhed
08-05-2017, 07:02 AM
Justin,

Try this Carbon Copy Fiber cue stick from DEVO!

cuesblues
08-05-2017, 08:11 AM
You get what you pay for

maha
08-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Not always so. If a so called quality item is already made there, the manufacturer will often make large overruns and sell them.
Or make a copy with some small changes to only the looks.

poolguy4u
08-05-2017, 02:08 PM
:thumbup:

Yes they all play real good.

Just send Rick an email and he'll tell you.

All made on a CNC machine which is more accurate than doing it by hand.

I still don't understand why you keep thinking China makes junk.

:D

mchnhed
08-05-2017, 02:56 PM
Jasonb386 - Remember that there is more than one country over there.
China, Taiwan and Japan all make very good production cues.

Yes they all play real good.
Just send Rick an email and he'll tell you.
All made on a CNC machine which is more accurate than doing it by hand.
I still don't understand why you keep thinking China makes junk.
:D

Icon of Sin
08-05-2017, 03:47 PM
You should probably buy as many as possible...

justinb386
08-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Jasonb386 - Remember that there is more than one country over there.
China, Taiwan and Japan all make very good production cues.

You should not put Japan in the same category as the countries in other parts of Asia. I think that most cues that are made in Japan (Mezz cues for example) are probably superior to any other cues made in other parts of Asia. I do not know though. I get the feeling that Mezz makes a higher quality cue then Predator though. Mezz is from Japan, and Predator is from China.

justinb386
08-05-2017, 08:10 PM

I just want to find one cue that I will really love, that is cheap enough, and worthless enough, that I will be able to hold on to it forever.

justinb386
08-05-2017, 08:12 PM
Justin,

Try this Carbon Copy Fiber cue stick from DEVO!

Are you serious? That is a pool cue?

mchnhed
08-05-2017, 09:55 PM
I just want to find one cue that I will really love, that is cheap enough, and worthless enough, that I will be able to hold on to it forever.
That sounds like the $116 Players Sneaky Pete that one of the posts mentioned.
Used maybe $70?
The $167 Players HXT come to mind also.
Used maybe $110?
Well within your budget and desires.
Inexpensive.
Worthless enough not to sell it.
Buy it used.
I got two wraped HXT cues, new condition for $60 each on fleabay.

E-bay just had a Plain Jane, Tiger Maple Mali for $50.
E-bay just had a Joss Plain Jane, Dark Wood with Tall Pearly Diamonds for $175 shipped.
E-bay just had a 80's Viking with points and veneers for $75 shipped.
Craigslist in LA LA Land.......
Mali with rings, points, veneers, MOP inlays for $130.
McD D-21 for $75, original shaft broken and tossed in the 80's, came with 80's black ring shaft.
Adams Regal and Rivera for $150 each.
1990's Mezz UJ-10 and Mezz jump/break. $200 for the pair.

justinb386
08-05-2017, 10:01 PM
E-bay just had a Joss Plain Jane, Dark Wood with Tall Pearline Diamonds for $175 shipped.
McD D-21 for $75, original shaft broken and tossed in the 80's, came with 80's black ring shaft.

I wonder if anyone jumped on that Mcdermott D-21 cue yet. I would buy it for $75, no matter how bad the condition is. Craigslist sellers will usually only deal locally though. No cheap good quality cues for sale here where I am locally.

justinb386
08-05-2017, 10:09 PM
That sounds like the $116 Players Sneaky Pete that one of the posts mention.
Used maybe $70?
Used maybe $110?
Love.
Inexpensive.
Buy it used.

E-bay just had a Joss Plain Jane, Dark Wood with Tall Pearly Diamonds for $175 shipped.

Seriously, I need something so worthless that I could not get $20 out of it. I can't hold on to anything that has much value at all. I always end up selling it.

mchnhed
08-05-2017, 10:12 PM
Seriously, I need something so worthless that I could not get $20 out of it. I can't hold on to anything that has much value at all. I always end up selling it.
You can't keep one cue?

I've kept all of those cues I listed.
(Don't tell my wife)

smashmouth
08-06-2017, 07:43 AM
seyberts has lots of stuff for under 100, hell you can get a players with tip of choice and free case for under $100 shipped, cannot beat that value

if you wanna buck the norm I'd go all out and find the best predator knock off out there in the 250 range, wouldn't be at all surprised if some of that stuff was purchased from predator themselves

or create a wtb thread and see what offers u get

androd
08-06-2017, 07:55 AM
My wife and I were in San Antonio a guy was selling sneaky pete's from china for $25.
I said "No thanks" ,my wife said get a few, when you feel like breaking your cue, just break one of
these throwdowns instead. :smile:

alstl
08-06-2017, 08:28 AM
My concern would be how well they are aging the wood to take precaution against warping.

I have two cues - a SL-5 Schon and a Woodworth. Both roll straight.

SARDiver
08-06-2017, 08:31 AM

Yep. Read the title before I looked at the author's name. Knew it before I read it.

Icon of Sin
08-06-2017, 08:45 AM
What is your obsession with buying shit cues? Why does it have to be our problem as well. You want the garbage, buy the garbage.

garczar
08-06-2017, 08:51 AM
This idiot's been asking the same inane questions for MONTHS. He sits in his mom's basement just thinking of these stupid threads. He's not trying to actually learn anything. He just gets off on seeing people reply to his useless posts. I've got him on my ignore list(BEAUTIFUL thing,btw) and its amazing that without even seeing his posts i can tell that he's asking another off-the-air question.

Quesports
08-06-2017, 09:00 AM
I do not see the need to belittle Justin or any members for that matter. His questions are what they are if you don't like them then don't reply. To insult and bully him is wrong plain and simple. As a member he can ask any questions he likes that is the premise of a forum after all..

Justin to answer your OP, I did buy an inexpensive import from China once and only once. The butt warped and no cue maker in the Chicago area would touch it. They refused to work on it period. While I may never buy one again for the reasons stated you or anyone else can do what you like.. JMO!

mchnhed
08-06-2017, 09:06 AM
Poor Jason,
You guys see his name and you're all over him.

I myself like playing pool with Jason.
The Crystal Lake Billiards Room is really nice.

Yep. Read the title before I looked at the author's name. Knew it before I read it.

cuesblues
08-06-2017, 09:08 AM
Back in about 2004 I bought an Elite merry widow for the discounted price of $100.
I recently found it in a case.
Rings are popping but it stayed straight, radial pin, nice looking cue..$80 shipped

DJSTEVEZ
08-06-2017, 09:21 AM
A word on China, and their manufacturing.

Any company who contracts with a manufacturing factory in China (or several) is offered a cost driven menu on "tolerences" (menaing to what percentage of perfection should manufacturing quality specs be kept) as well as a choice of raw materials (assuming the contracting compnay isn't supplying the raw materials). Here too there's a myriad of quality options. The contracting company knows perfectly well the level of quality to expect in their product(s) because they're the ones making those choices, options & selections.

There is nothing inherently "cheap" or "subpar" with products made in China. As it is anywhere else, you need to be an astute and present business person to make sure you, and by default, your consumers, are getting what you both are paying for, but that's the way it is all over the globe last I checked.

I've got quite a bit of experience in this area from when I was DJing.

SARDiver
08-06-2017, 09:53 AM
I do not see the need to belittle Justin or any members for that matter. His questions are what they are if you don't like them then don't reply. To insult and bully him is wrong plain and simple. As a member he can ask any questions he likes that is the premise of a forum after all..

<snip>

And other forum members are free to respond as we see fit, within guidelines established. "Bullying" and "insulting"?

No, they are neither. They are comments on the quality of the thread and the repetitive nature of similar threads by that poster. [G]arczar is right. This guy doesn't learn from any previous answers to similar threads, well-considered answers offered sincerely and that should have provided a basic level of understanding that made future similar threads unneeded.

He'd get a wider and better range of answers if he limited himself to questions that hadn't been asked before. Just as you are attempting to use social pressure on people who respond to him in a certain way, people who are responding to justin in this manner are using social pressure to suggest modifications to his posting habits.

garczar
08-06-2017, 10:18 AM
And other forum members are free to respond as we see fit, within guidelines established. "Bullying" and "insulting"?

No, they are neither. They are comments on the quality of the thread and the repetitive nature of similar threads by that poster. [G]arczar is right. This guy doesn't learn from any previous answers to similar threads, well-considered answers offered sincerely and that should have provided a basic level of understanding that made future similar threads unneeded.

He'd get a wider and better range of answers if he limited himself to questions that hadn't been asked before. Just as you are attempting to use social pressure on people who respond to him in a certain way, people who are responding to justin in this manner are using social pressure to suggest modifications to his posting habits.Thanks SAR. Its pretty obvious that that guy hasn't seen that many of you-know-who's posts. He's asked the exact same questions about this-n-that cheap-ass cues for a while now. All he wants is to see responses to his posts. Its almost as sad as someone who lights fires just to watch the big red trucks show up. BTW, i'm FAR from being the only AZ'r who has hammered him for his crazy posts.

Dave-Kat
08-06-2017, 11:30 AM
Please just buy a new Cue with warranty, whatever you can afford and within budget, if you really have one There are many good new choices for $150 and go play. Personally I would recommend nothing because members here have already offered you so many.

Get it at 21oz with weight bolt and go down from there if need be. Try a few different tips till you find the one that is 'magic'..... and be done.

-Kat,

mchnhed
08-06-2017, 11:43 AM
Get it at 21oz with weight bolt and go down from there if need be. Try a few different tips till you find the one that is 'magic'..... and be done.
-Kat,
Wouldn't it be better to get it at 18.5oz and 'add' weight if needed?

I have a D-21 McD that was 20.5oz.
Wanted to lighten it to 18.75 but it weighed 19.5oz withoutany weight bolt.
As many of you know you need a weight bolt in a vintage McD to screw the bumper onto the cue.
Had to use a Nylon Allen Head Bold.

Dave-Kat
08-06-2017, 12:11 PM
I was referring to Players, Lucky Mc D's, Action, China etc. Get new one @ 21oz play it, if you do not like it, remove weigh bolt, weigh it, do math and shorten accordingly to 20oz, 19.5oz 19oz, 18.6oz etc. Those bolts are generally about 4 oz. China Butts without bolt are generally about 12oz. SO plenty of room to lighten cutting bolt without spending $6 for new bolt every time you want to bump up in weight unless hardware store has same diameter and pitch bolts.

I recommend this to everyone who does not know what weight balance they prefer with new cues. Easy and cheap ( Justin) to lower down and 'tweak' to liking.

Have a good day,

-Kat,

Wouldn't it be better to get it at 18.5oz and 'add' weight if needed?

I have a D-21 McD that was 20.5oz.
Wanted to lighten it to 18.75 but it weighed 19.5oz withoutany weight bolt.
As many of you know you need a weight bolt in a vintage McD to screw the bumper onto the cue.
Had to use a Nylon Allen Head Bold.

DaveM
08-06-2017, 12:50 PM
Every time I see a thread from Justin it makes me think of this: https://youtu.be/YCwbfAcZGdc

Ched
08-06-2017, 04:19 PM
I thought the pool hall/good cues thread was a reasonable thread, but I think this topic is well beyond its expiration date. It's kinda been a bit over done. Not gonna smudge up my cue on an expired equestrian.

Ched
08-06-2017, 04:23 PM
Poor Jason,

cool pic - but ... "Jason"?

mchnhed
08-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Poor Jason,
cool pic - but ... "Jason"?

Jason Voorhees is the main character from the Friday the 13th series. He first appeared in Friday the 13th as the young son of camp cook-turned-murderer Mrs. Voorhees.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Voorhees

Ched
08-06-2017, 06:54 PM
Jason Voorhees is the main character from the Friday the 13th series. He first appeared in Friday the 13th as the young son of camp cook-turned-murderer Mrs. Voorhees.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Voorhees

Yea - I got that part ... but thought the discussion was about Justin.

mchnhed
08-06-2017, 07:00 PM
Yea - I got that part ... but thought the discussion was about Justin.
Oh!!!!!!
Sorry.
I just did a Justin.
I'm feeling dizzy!

RiverCity
08-06-2017, 09:51 PM
Every time I see a thread from Justin it makes me think of this: https://youtu.be/YCwbfAcZGdc

See now, I think of this movie scene when reading a Justin thread...... :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eJ0iGZ7Ms8

justinb386
08-06-2017, 11:41 PM
Out of all of the replies I have received so far, not 1 of you have been of any help, with an answer to my question (because not 1 of you have ever tried out one of the cues that I asked about). You just make assumptions, based on what facts? Only your own opinions based on what you think about a cue that you know nothing about (other then that it is from China, which could quite possibly be of decent quality), and have never personally seen or tried out before.

I should have known that it would be pointless to ask that question, that came to mind, after finding a few cues that I found online. I was only curious, but I have received nothing but useless replies. If you have never tried out the cues in question (based on personal experience, about what I asked about), then why reply? You all think you are so smart, and I am so stupid, but the fact is that you really do not know any facts about what you think you are so sure about, because you have never personally tried out either of the cues in question.

I just received an email reply back about this Peri (brand name) cue, that I thought looked really nice, and the price of the cue (direct from China) is $475 plus $35 shipping.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Peri-PG6-pool-cue-stick-billiard_60377701876.html?spm=a2700.7724838.201711 5.1.Wq91Uu

At that price, I can only assume that the quality is not junk.

How can you possibly know that these cues are such junk if you have never tried out out, or seen one in person? All that you can do is reply back, about your personal experiences about other cues that you have tried out (that were from China).

The cues made nowadays from China may be from decent to high quality, for the most part.

You should not judge what you do not know, or have not personally tried out.

cuesblues
08-07-2017, 01:38 AM
Out of all of the replies I have received so far, not 1 of you have been of any help, with an answer to my question (because not 1 of you have ever tried out one of the cues that I asked about). You just make assumptions, based on what facts? Only your own opinions based on what you think about a cue that you know nothing about (other then that it is from China, which could quite possibly be of decent quality), and have never personally seen or tried out before.

I should have known that it would be pointless to ask that question, that came to mind, after finding a few cues that I found online. I was only curious, but I have received nothing but useless replies. If you have never tried out the cues in question (based on personal experience, about what I asked about), then why reply? You all think you are so smart, and I am so stupid, but the fact is that you really do not know any facts about what you think you are so sure about, because you have never personally tried out either of the cues in question.

I just received an email reply back about this Peri (brand name) cue, that I thought looked really nice, and the price of the cue (direct from China) is $475 plus $35 shipping.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Peri-PG6-pool-cue-stick-billiard_60377701876.html?spm=a2700.7724838.201711 5.1.Wq91Uu

How can you possibly know that these cues are such junk if you have never tried out out, or seen one in person? All that you can do is reply back, about your personal experiences about other cues that you have tried out (that were from China).

The cues made nowadays from China may be from decent to high quality, for the most part.

What do you expect, you're dealing with a bunch of pool players.
Heck they can't even get your name right, half of them are calling you Jason.
Personally I think I was helpful with my Elite Cue review and subsequent price quote.
In addition my"you get what you pay for" comment was the same advice my father-in-law used to give me when I would ask him for free financial advice.

All of the billiard products, cues whatever, that are fakes like the cheap Predator look alike break cues, are all junk.
Cues made in China are not necessarily junk (like Predator-Lucasi) but the stuff from those Chinese wholesale places is all junk, not worth owning for any reason.

WVShootist
08-07-2017, 02:04 AM
That sounds like the $116 Players Sneaky Pete that one of the posts mentioned.
Used maybe $70?
Used maybe $110?
Inexpensive.
Buy it used.

I'll 2nd this. That $116 Players Sneaky is a great cue, costs well... $116 and it looks pretty classy/non-obnoxious which I especially love. I wanted a 'haul around to random bar' cue and the Players SP definitely delivered. Mchnhed definitely did me a favor by recommending it.

justinb386
08-07-2017, 03:32 AM
Personally I think I was helpful with my Elite Cue review and subsequent price quote.
In addition my"you get what you pay for" comment was the same advice my father-in-law used to give me when I would ask him for free financial advice.

All of the billiard products, cues whatever, that are fakes like the cheap Predator look alike break cues, are all junk.
Cues made in China are not necessarily junk (like Predator-Lucasi) but the stuff from those Chinese wholesale places is all junk, not worth owning for any reason.

I just thought it was interesting because the company claims that the cues come with an 8 piece laminated shaft. If they have the tech to make an LD shaft like that, then maybe they can make a decent cue.

I do not have the money to gamble on a cue purchase that might be junk (like you said), so that is why I created this thread. It is clear to me that nobody who has replied so far has tried out one of those cues though, and even if they have, they would probably never publicly admit it on here anyways.

The Elite cue sounds interesting, because it comes with a Radial pin joint (which I love). The last several years, when ever I tried out any cues with the Radial pin (even the $100 DP cues, that he auctions off on ebay), I liked the way they hit. When ever I see a joint like that, I assume the cue is good (or at least decent) quality. People on here keep telling me that the joint has nothing to do with the hit of the cue, but I just do not feel like that is true, based on my experience shooting with them.

I asked about these Hercules cues on here (and facebook) awhile back (hoping that I could find a review, from anyone who has tried one out), and did not get a single reply from anyone who has ever used one.

http://www.shootersbilliards.com/Hercules-Pool-Cue-H303.html

I was interested in that cue, because it looked nice and interesting to me, and because it appeared to come with a Radial pin joint.

Anyways, thanks for the offer on the Elite cue (if that was an offer). I will keep it in mind.

When ever I see any cues with either a 5/16x18 flat faced or piloted joint pin (other then some of the Helmstetter cues that used that joint), or anything with the Uni Loc joint (other then Predator, or Lucasi), I think it might be very low quality (based on how I feel about the looks of it). I think I have a pretty good idea about what looks to be good quality vs what appears to be poor quality. Anything else that I am unsure of, I might ask a question about, on a forum like this.

justinb386
08-07-2017, 03:38 AM
I'll 2nd this. That $116 Players Sneaky is a great cue, costs well... $116 and it looks pretty classy/non-obnoxious which I especially love. I wanted a 'haul around to random bar' cue and the Players SP definitely delivered. Mchnhed definitely did me a favor by recommending it.

Yeah, these Players HXT cues might be the best hitting cue for around a $100, because they do come with a Kamui tip installed on them, and they are wrapless (which I like).

https://www.seyberts.com/purex-hxtsn-pool-cue

Maxx
08-07-2017, 05:55 AM
Buy one, then post your review. Enlighten us please.

PS
Better yet start your new career as a Billiards Journalist. Tell them you are doing cue reviews and maybe they'll send you a couple to review, for free! Problems solved.

Chopdoc
08-07-2017, 06:13 AM

Best Post.

Icon of Sin
08-07-2017, 06:19 AM
PS
Better yet start your new career as a Billiards Journalist. Tell they you are doing cue reviews and maybe they'll send you a couple to review, for free! Problems solved.

Yes!!! It could be the exact opposite of the Monster Cue column that was in Inside Pool/Billiards Digest/whichever one it was.

You could say things like...

"Never have I seen points painted on so sharp"

or

"The stickers on this cue make me think I bought a cue with really nice inlays for a mere 50 bucks"

or

"People said that after this cue was in the states for more then a week it would warp, but I think the tip coming off the table just an inch on a table roll isnt really that bad"

ChicagoRJ
08-07-2017, 08:10 AM
why reward "fraudsters" ? So, no, don't buy their crap, don't give them money, don't support them in the least.

Dave-Kat
08-07-2017, 10:48 AM
Why bother to post ever here again ? From what I read you are never satisfied no matter what advice is offered. You twist it, turn it, make excuses, no one understands, everybody is so mean.

By now, any sane person would understand you 'get what you give' and you have given 'ZERO' here and taken allot.

There are true respected Members here who have been kind and tried to help you over the years and you continue to ignore suggestions and honorable advice and go your own way only post up and complain about your sour deal and disappointment.

You continue down your self dug 'rabbit hole' looking for advice that's never taken, crying about budget, looking for a 'steal' on the Magic Holy Grail pool cues that will lift your sprits and your game ( if you even play ) but are never pleased.

Just buy that choice Alibaba cue and try to return it haha after it arrives looking nothing like what was presented in pic's and specs.....but please, do us all a solid and don't come back crying here fool.

You make your bed.....sleep in it:groucho:

-Late,

Str8PoolPlayer
08-07-2017, 11:23 AM

I guarantee he has a Collection of them. Trolls just gotta be Trolls.

mchnhed
08-07-2017, 11:52 AM
I guarantee he has a Collection of them. Trolls just gotta be Trolls.
Preoaidr is the Best.
Put Away the Rest.

WildWing
08-07-2017, 12:39 PM

hang-the-9
08-07-2017, 02:28 PM

Maybe a session or two with a therapist may help. No one is forcing you to sell anything. If you don't have the self control to keep something maybe you just like feeling regret all the time. You are either wishing you kept something or bought something all the time.

There are plenty or worthless cues out there, probably not much playing ability out of those though, so you either need to keep a good cue, or just stop trying to buy stuff.

SARDiver
08-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Maybe a session or two with a therapist may help. No one is forcing you to sell anything. If you don't have the self control to keep something maybe you just like feeling regret all the time. You are either wishing you kept something or bought something all the time.
<snip>

Why pay good money to bore the hell out of one guy when you can bore the hell out of dozens for free?

jimmyco
08-07-2017, 08:05 PM

You asked if anybody noticed these cues and offered that it might be an interesting discussion.

Has anyone ever noticed...

...but I thought it might be an interesting topic to talk about.

justinb386
08-11-2017, 07:12 AM
I was referring to Players, Lucky Mc D's, Action, China etc. Get new one @ 21oz play it, if you do not like it, remove weigh bolt, weigh it, do math and shorten accordingly to 20oz, 19.5oz 19oz, 18.6oz etc. Those bolts are generally about 4 oz. China Butts without bolt are generally about 12oz. SO plenty of room to lighten cutting bolt without spending $6 for new bolt every time you want to bump up in weight unless hardware store has same diameter and pitch bolts.

I recommend this to everyone who does not know what weight balance they prefer with new cues. Easy and cheap ( Justin) to lower down and 'tweak' to liking.

Have a good day,

-Kat,

I recently checked out this NV (Nick Varner) cue at a pawn shop (priced at $45), and it felt like it weighed about 12oz. It was the lightest pool cue I ever held in my hand. It had a really nice looking layered tip on it (looked like a good quality tip, like maybe a Kamui). I offered the pawn shop $20 for it, but they refused. They were firm on $45. It was a really junkie looking cue, and it felt like junk too. I was really wanting something (anything) to shoot with though (thinking that maybe I could find a weight bolt to put in it, and it might hit decent), and thought it was worth maybe $20, but no more then that.

justinb386
08-11-2017, 07:34 AM
I wonder how much those $700 (and up) Predator cues actually costs to make, and how much they are paying the Chinese workers to make them. I wonder how big of a profit they are getting out of each cue, and how many unsold cues they have in their inventory. How many players are there out there who not only really want a $700 (at the minimum price) Predator, but can also afford to buy one? Is it really that hard to believe that maybe the same people who make the real deal, also make an unlicensed copy, and name it something else? That is if the cues only cost like $100 (for example) to make. I have no idea how much the real deal authentic Predator cues cost to make, but I imagine they are made in China because it is cheaper, and because they want a much higher profit out of each cue. Why can't they just move their company to the US? They are charging enough money for their cues to afford to do that, right? Maybe these copy cat cues would not be around if Predator would have never relocated to China. I do not know. At least then I would not have these stupid idea's about the copy cat cues in the back of my mind though (if Predator cues were made here in the US, or maybe Japan). Predator could hire Miki (maker of Mezz cues) to make their cues. Miki made cues for Adam, from what I read. Why must they be made in China? Higher profits are the only reason that I can think of.

ipoppa33
08-11-2017, 08:35 AM
I wonder how much those $700 (and up) Predator cues actually costs to make, and how much they are paying the Chinese workers to make them. I wonder how big of a profit they are getting out of each cue, and how many unsold cues they have in their inventory. How many players are there out there who not only really want a $700 (at the minimum price) Predator, but can also afford to buy one? Is it really that hard to believe that maybe the same people who make the real deal, also make an unlicensed copy, and name it something else? That is if the cues only cost like $100 (for example) to make. I have no idea how much the real deal authentic Predator cues cost to make, but I imagine they are made in China because it is cheaper, and because they want a much higher profit out of each cue. Why can't they just move their company to the US? They are charging enough money for their cues to afford to do that, right? Maybe these copy cat cues would not be around if Predator would have never relocated to China. I do not know. At least then I would not have these stupid idea's about the copy cat cues in the back of my mind though (if Predator cues were made here in the US, or maybe Japan). Predator could hire Miki (maker of Mezz cues) to make their cues. Miki made cues for Adam, from what I read. Why must they be made in China? Higher profits are the only reason that I can think of.

Wow, just wow! That is a lot of questions, are you able to sleep at night with all this worry?

hang-the-9
08-11-2017, 08:41 AM

Name one company that wants to make products at a higher cost and get less profits. Sure, some smaller places that may make things in the US. A shop in the Catskill mountains near a hotel I go to every year sells US made shirts. They are about 3 times the cost of what a shirt costs in Target or Khols for good quality shirts. How many do you think they sell and how much do you think the company that makes them is worth? Cars are probably the last major thing that is made in the US and look what happened to that, the industry nearly collapsed.

HawaiianEye
08-11-2017, 08:42 AM

Do the math. An American worker wants at least $15 an hour to flip burgers. How much are they going to want to run a lathe and work in a finishing spray booth with dangerous chemicals?

You can get people in third world countries to do it for less than $1 an hour.

Figuring out the cost of cues is easy. The most expensive pieces of wood can't be over a couple hundred dollars for a butt and shaft. The joint is a couple bucks. The bumper is about a dollar or two. The ferrule is about the same. It only costs about $5 for 50 yards of linen. The most expensive tips are about $25.

So why does something with about $200 MAX worth of material sell for $2,000 or more?

Icon of Sin
08-11-2017, 09:08 AM
I recently checked out this NV (Nick Varner) cue at a pawn shop (priced at $45), and it felt like it weighed about 12oz. It was the lightest pool cue I ever held in my hand. It had a really nice looking layered tip on it (looked like a good quality tip, like maybe a Kamui). I offered the pawn shop $20 for it, but they refused. They were firm on $45. It was a really junkie looking cue, and it felt like junk too. I was really wanting something (anything) to shoot with though (thinking that maybe I could find a weight bolt to put in it, and it might hit decent), and thought it was worth maybe $20, but no more then that.

If it was junkie and felt junkie, why the hell would you want it at any price?

If it's a piece of shit, I don't care what you paid for it, you still bought a piece of shit. Complete waste of 20 dollars.

You should take that 20 dollars and buy a thank you note and some flowers. Have it sent to the pawn shop thanking them for not lowering the price of the cue and saving you from buying yet another crap cue.

That would be a better use of the money.

mchnhed
08-11-2017, 09:23 AM
Justin,

Just last week off of eBay I bought a Green Box Mali M-1 for $50.
Tiger Maple with a Black Wrap.
It was a "But it now".

Two weeks ago on Fleabay "Buy it now"......
Vintage Oval "N" Series (no USA) Viking with points $75 w/free shipping.

You need to look harder.

jimmyco
08-11-2017, 10:21 AM
$700 is not a lot of money to spend on anything you will truely enjoy owning, use often and keep indefinitely. especially when you consider the extemely low cost to maintain it.

Do what everybody else does, save for it. The pride of ownership will be that much sweeter when you have sacrificed here and there over time.

mchnhed
08-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Do what everybody else does, save for it.
Do what everybody else does.....
Put in on credit!

and get a Mezz.
I just got a SD-4 with points from Japan for $275 used w/shipping.

justinb386
08-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Name one company that wants to make products at a higher cost and get less profits. Sure, some smaller places that may make things in the US. A shop in the Catskill mountains near a hotel I go to every year sells US made shirts. They are about 3 times the cost of what a shirt costs in Target or Khols for good quality shirts. How many do you think they sell and how much do you think the company that makes them is worth? Cars are probably the last major thing that is made in the US and look what happened to that, the industry nearly collapsed.

If relocating to China would be so profitable for any cue company, then why do all of the production cue companies not move to China, and have some factory over there help build their cues? At the prices that Predator charges for their cues, why would they need the help of Chinese workers to build their cues? OB cues for example are similar in price, right(?), and they are still made here in the US. I have a question, if anyone here might know. How many cues does Predator make per year, and how many cues do similar cue companies who they compete with (like OB, Tiger, Mezz, and any others that I might be missing) make per year? Predator is the only cue company who decided to relocate to China, and none of the others have done that (correct me if I am wrong?). Why relocate to a country that is so famous for ripping off other products? Could Predator have not just remained in Canada (or was it Florida?), and still turned a good profit? Or maybe the cue makers in China make an even better product then anything that was ever made in Canada or Florida (back when Predator was here in North America)? I am really interested to know if Predator builds more cues (more of each of their models) then any of their competition (in around the same price range)? If they do, and are unable to sell a lot of their stock, then do they have overstock problems? Are they a much larger company then OB or Tiger for example? I just wonder how many Predator cues (with $700 or more retail tags) are sitting in dealer cases, or warehouses, waiting to be sold, or if their demand is really so big, that they are able to sell everything that they make pretty fast. I guess that these are questions that only the company itself would be able to answer. I assume that most cue companies who make cues that start out in the $700 price range (or even just $500 or more) would only make a small amount of cues, and never keep too much stock at a time (that have not been sold to dealers), but I do not know about these cue makers from China. Could they possibly have a very large amount of overstock, and not want to devalue their cues, by offering them at a much cheaper price? $700 for a plain jane production cue just seems crazy I think, even if it does come with a high tech $300 shaft.

JoeyInCali
08-11-2017, 11:19 AM
Justin isn't going to quit until he finds a killer cue for $10.
And that all of his questions are answered to his satisfaction.

And he'd still flip the $10 cue.

jimmyco
08-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Why do you assume any company astute enough to relocate to maximize their profit would be so ignorant as to produce a surplus?

PoppaSaun
08-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Why do you assume any company astute enough to relocate to maximize their profit would be so ignorant as to produce a surplus?

Not an economist, are you?

fastone371
08-11-2017, 12:36 PM

forever........................................... .....until you sell it..................................again.

jimmyco
08-11-2017, 03:14 PM
Not an economist, are you?

Nope, but at times I'm treated like a rock star.

fastone371
08-19-2017, 12:48 PM
If relocating to China would be so profitable for any cue company, then why do all of the production cue companies not move to China, and have some factory over there help build their cues? At the prices that Predator charges for their cues, why would they need the help of Chinese workers to build their cues? OB cues for example are similar in price, right(?), and they are still made here in the US. I have a question, if anyone here might know. How many cues does Predator make per year, and how many cues do similar cue companies who they compete with (like OB, Tiger, Mezz, and any others that I might be missing) make per year? Predator is the only cue company who decided to relocate to China, and none of the others have done that (correct me if I am wrong?). Why relocate to a country that is so famous for ripping off other products? Could Predator have not just remained in Canada (or was it Florida?), and still turned a good profit? Or maybe the cue makers in China make an even better product then anything that was ever made in Canada or Florida (back when Predator was here in North America)? I am really interested to know if Predator builds more cues (more of each of their models) then any of their competition (in around the same price range)? If they do, and are unable to sell a lot of their stock, then do they have overstock problems? Are they a much larger company then OB or Tiger for example? I just wonder how many Predator cues (with $700 or more retail tags) are sitting in dealer cases, or warehouses, waiting to be sold, or if their demand is really so big, that they are able to sell everything that they make pretty fast. I guess that these are questions that only the company itself would be able to answer. I assume that most cue companies who make cues that start out in the $700 price range (or even just $500 or more) would only make a small amount of cues, and never keep too much stock at a time (that have not been sold to dealers), but I do not know about these cue makers from China. Could they possibly have a very large amount of overstock, and not want to devalue their cues, by offering them at a much cheaper price? $700 for a plain jane production cue just seems crazy I think, even if it does come with a high tech $300 shaft.

I can tell you that there are no quality auto related parts coming from China. Manufacturers do not move their production to China because they are getting higher quality for less cost. In fact the production costs are so much cheaper that it is more profitable for a company to move their production from the US to China then have the finished products shipped back halfway around the world to sell. For all of those dollars saved you certainly dont get higher quality or even equal quality, you instead end up with inferior quality but its cheap so it sells. In fact most of todays consumers rarely look at quality or after sales service, they base the majority of their buying decisions on price alone. I think a lot of people dont even know how a quality product compares to the import products they buy because they have never seen the quality product.