PDA

View Full Version : "You Know You've Been Playing Pool For A Really Long Time When..."

DJSTEVEZ
08-05-2017, 05:25 PM
Please contribute by adding your observation / experience / whit / etc.

I'll start...

...you remember when there was only 6 different brands of Cue Tips:

Royal Oak
Elk Master
Le' Pro
Triangle
Triumph
Chendavert Champion (those were those fancy French tips with the backing).

GoldCrown
08-05-2017, 05:27 PM
You Know You've Been Playing Pool For A Really Long Time When..............when you repeat over and over..."I should have stayed in school"

strmanglr scott
08-05-2017, 05:35 PM
Ppl get bent when you call cloth, felt.

Known ppl who have been re-felting tables for over 30 years, they still call it felt.

chefjeff
08-05-2017, 06:23 PM
...when you're on only your second game of one-pocket.

Jeff, sorry, couldn't resist, Livingston

one stroke
08-05-2017, 06:43 PM
When you remember Colored Aluminum pool cues

Robert58
08-05-2017, 06:45 PM
When I started playing pool it was against the law to play 9 ball in a pool hall, in Texas. 1959.

I played snooker at the Pasadena (Texas) Recreation Hall. They had 5 snooker tables in good condition and 4 8' pool tables that were not playable.

As far as tips. I didn't know there were different tips. I had a two piece cue that I bought that had a soft tip but not an Elk Master. It dried out and fell off. The repairman at the bowling alley that had a pool hall in it, in San Diego put a hard tip on it. That was the worst tip I have ever played with, glazed like crazy.

mchnhed
08-06-2017, 05:30 AM
Known ppl who have been re-felting tables for over 30 years, they still call it felt.
How can you "re-felt" a table if it isn't called felt?
Wouldn't it be called "re-clothing" a table?

***Actually the material is called baize.***
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baize
So....Re-baize a table?
Doesn't sound right.
Re-cloth it is then.

jackpot
08-06-2017, 05:51 AM
When you call the pen a screw
when a game of straight pool is to 125 points not a race to 125
when I ran racks not packs
when good players wore alligator shoes not sneakers
when a player was stalling not sandbagging
you still practice spot shots
your case holds only one cue
you go around to every table asking for action
you think that knocking someone is chicken---- not the right thing to do
you don't quit winner
you don't quit until you're broke or the place closes
If you get trapped you blame YOURSELF, and don't whine about it
If you win betting on side you give the player something
jack

strmanglr scott
08-06-2017, 06:33 AM

So....Re-baize a table?
Doesn't sound right.
Re-cloth it is then.

Lol, I'll stick w re-felting. I feel I need to feel again.

strmanglr scott
08-06-2017, 06:34 AM

I have one of those in 70's green. How much is it worth? :)

DJSTEVEZ
08-06-2017, 09:00 AM

There was a pretty well known room in Fairfield, CT called "The Felt Forum".
For non-NYC area people, this was a play on words because Madison Square Garden had a smaller theatre venue in its bowels knwon as the Felt Forum.
It was a high level action room for strictly low level players, lol. Outfitted in exclusively with Gandy Big G's, serious players played elsewhere. -Z-

Franky4Eyes
08-06-2017, 10:25 AM
...when the edge of your hand is permanently stained blue.

pt109
08-06-2017, 12:06 PM
...when you remember rooms where rotation and eight-ball weren't allowed in the main area.

mvp
08-06-2017, 12:19 PM
You been playin pool a long time when:
You stay out all night without calling and wife is perfectly fine knowing where you are!

pt109
08-06-2017, 12:50 PM

So....Re-baize a table?
Doesn't sound right.
Re-cloth it is then.

Actually, we play on cloth...unless you're playing bar box in a dive..
....then it's probably baize...which is a coarse version of cloth.

Lol, I'll stick w re-felting. I feel I need to feel again.

I was playing a guy for $20...he hung the nine...he yelled 'This table needs new felt!"....
...I told him "It's cloth...pay up."
He said "I'll call it anything I @&$#% well want."....gave me the twenty...
...told him.."You owe me another thirty."...:cool:
He says "What the hell you talkin' about?"
..told him..."I feel like calling a twenty a fifty now."

:grin:

Sweatin'
08-06-2017, 01:12 PM
...when you can remember when no serious player would ever be seen playing on anything but a 9 foot table, and 8-ball was only a game for teen age birthday parties and church youth fellowship get togethers. Real players played 6-ball, 9-ball and one pocket. Occasionally somebody would try a little straight pool but it was mostly a cure for insomnia.

Imagine my shock after a 40 year layoff to see serious players playing 8-ball on 7 foot tables!

cardit
08-06-2017, 01:19 PM
When it cost ten cents a rack to the house man.

Buckzapper
08-06-2017, 02:53 PM
When you're 76 and Ma still drops you off at the poolroom at noon, even though she's 97. You still carry the old zipper case with the Willie Hoppe cue, complete with an Elkmaster tip. The Lone Ranger lunch box you carried in school holds a thermos of soup, a peanut butter sandwich and a little baggie of Oreos. You scan the room for a game and spot a youngster of 60 or so and figure you'll have to spot him to get a game for the time.

book collector
08-06-2017, 03:10 PM
You stay out all night without calling and wife is perfectly fine knowing where you are!

Or, she's glad you are gone!

Ched
08-06-2017, 03:43 PM
when you don't know the names of these young whipper-snappers winning all the tournaments.

Ched
08-06-2017, 03:44 PM
When you're 76 and Ma still drops you off at the poolroom at noon, even though she's 97. You still carry the old zipper case with the Willie Hoppe cue, complete with an Elkmaster tip. The Lone Ranger lunch box you carried in school holds a thermos of soup, a peanut butter sandwich and a little baggie of Oreos. You scan the room for a game and spot a youngster of 60 or so and figure you'll have to spot him to get a game for the time.

Ched <-- loved this post. :)

hurricane145
08-06-2017, 04:54 PM
...When you are playing a ring game of 3 ball with 5 others for a quarter a game, dime a scratch, one tie all tie, and there is $127.60 in the pot.

measureman
08-07-2017, 08:17 AM
When you call the pen a screw
when a game of straight pool is to 125 points not a race to 125
when I ran racks not packs
when good players wore alligator shoes not sneakers
when a player was stalling not sandbagging
you still practice spot shots
your case holds only one cue
you go around to every table asking for action
you think that knocking someone is chicken---- not the right thing to do
you don't quit winner
you don't quit until you're broke or the place closes
If you get trapped you blame YOURSELF, and don't whine about it
If you win betting on side you give the player something
jack

All of the above.

androd
08-07-2017, 08:26 AM
A long time when you remember signs on the wall
" no jump shots or masse"
The only phone in the room was in a booth or on the wall
In the south "no women allowed"
Rack boys with change holders around their waist
Only two piece cues were Willie Hoppe's
Jump the table 0.25 for the juke box.
To many more to list. :)

Ghosst
08-07-2017, 09:04 AM

Still have one :D

Celophanewrap
08-07-2017, 09:05 AM
When you consistently use pool terms at work with co workers and they all look at you
strange because they don't understand and you don't have any idea why they don't
understand you.

jackpot
08-07-2017, 09:49 AM
break balls
jack

pt109
08-07-2017, 10:43 AM
break balls
jack

Aha...forgot about break balls.....or mud balls...beige in color.
Last time I used one was late 70s in Hopkinsville Kentucky....
...house racker...kept the games you owed for on the wire....25 cents.

.....the houseman was known as The Hillbilly...ran a good room...and could play some.
A guy asked him for 8-5 and the break at one-hole....Hillybilly said...."If a man needs 8 to 5
and the break, he don't need to play the game."

noMoreSchon
08-07-2017, 12:27 PM
You know you have been around for awhile when you dread reading a post letting you

know about xyz player who is in the hospital, or not doing so well health wise and remember

how they used to spot you growing up, and taught you so much. Or watched them roll

over the local short stop, and were amazed at what they were capable of.

grindz
08-07-2017, 06:59 PM
Spittoons at every table....

Td

GoldCrown
08-07-2017, 07:02 PM
You Know You've Been Playing Pool For A Really Long Time When........

You miss .$50 an hour from Burholme Billiards on Cottman St. Phila., Pa in the early 60's.

Benward452
08-07-2017, 07:53 PM
Pool table corners were ashtrays.

I am a youngin' by most of your standards, but I played in a hall that had these tables and it still amazes me that Brunswick thought this was a great idea.

jasonlaus
08-07-2017, 11:16 PM
...when you can remember when no serious player would ever be seen playing on anything but a 9 foot table, and 8-ball was only a game for teen age birthday parties and church youth fellowship get togethers. Real players played 6-ball, 9-ball and one pocket. Occasionally somebody would try a little straight pool but it was mostly a cure for insomnia.

Imagine my shock after a 40 year layoff to see serious players playing 8-ball on 7 foot tables!

Perfection!
Jason

9andout
08-08-2017, 02:41 AM

So....Re-baize a table?
Doesn't sound right.
Re-cloth it is then.

Re-COVER. That works just fine.

bbb
08-08-2017, 03:40 AM

I am a youngin' by most of your standards, but I played in a hall that had these tables and it still amazes me that Brunswick thought this was a great idea.
its better than having the cigarette dangling from your mouth and the ahses getting on the table.....:eek:.....just sayin....:smile:

jackpot
08-08-2017, 05:27 AM
pool rooms were open 24 hrs a day

pt109
08-08-2017, 08:33 AM
....if the room was 25 years old...chances were the balls were too.
...cue balls wanted to draw, even when hit dead center.

..played in so many rooms that didn't have a sound system.....
...we made our own entertainment....

Texas Carom Club
08-08-2017, 08:46 AM

There's 2 of em within 15 miles of my home

Texas Carom Club
08-08-2017, 08:47 AM
..played in so many rooms that didn't have a sound system.....
...we made our own entertainment....

Wish I could find a place like this

chefjeff
08-08-2017, 08:48 AM
Pool rooms were long and narrow and with the smoke you couldn't even see the back tables.

Only the clicking sounds and ball drop sounds created the music for the place and what a tune it was!

Then came the disco era....

Jeff Livingston

pt109
08-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Wish I could find a place like this

This is probably why I like AZ so much....you can chat...make a game....and argue about
every subject known to man....just like the old rooms.

Now you have to yell over the music......just to say "Shoot again."

An art has been lost to the pool culture.....I saw countless money players that were so
good at stirring up action....they could've hosted a talk show on TV...Fatty was one of the
best....but he had lots of competition.

Texdance
08-08-2017, 10:21 AM
Pool rooms were upstairs. Creaky stairs.

Fraternal orders had rec rooms with four to eight massive tables from the turn of the century.

The rack man got a dime for 9-ball and 15 cents for 8-ball. Yes, he had a coin changer around his waist, and no one but the rack man ever racked a game.

Two piece cures were fairly rare in small pool halls. The old hustler had the fanciest Palmer; a rich young GM employee a Balabushka.

In the early 70s there were photo cards showing the fruits of labor of Joss Cues, Tad, later Richard Black, Schon and other cue makers now famous. They were passed around at various pool venues by guys claiming to be dealers or claiming to be able to place orders. They were actual photos, usually 4x6 but sometimes 5x7. It was much less expensive than paying for four-color printed cards, which would not have looked as good as the photos anyway. I'm sure some collectors still have copies of these old cue photos stashed away. The prices were astoundingly low compared to today's prices - $100 to $250 vs. $1000 to $2500.

All the guys with really good cues also had a fine alligator skin or leather Fellini case. The oval Fellini cases went 'shuck" when opened or closed, and their small locks had a particular 'snick' sound when closed - loud if the player lost, soft and mellow if the player won (or at least it seemed that way to me). They were nearly air-tight, and very beautiful. They held just one butt and shaft, and could not stand the competition from the later multi-butt, multi-shaft cases.

Low500
08-08-2017, 03:30 PM
...when the saying "that's one helluva joint" meant a lead pipe cinch bet and had nothing to do with a 2-piece pool cue or marijuana.
...when pool hustler "Tommy The Sailor" from San Diego was still in the U.S.Navy

Low500
08-08-2017, 03:37 PM
...when Light Heavyweight Champion of the world, Archie Moore, used to play bank pool with "Long Beach" at the Tower Bowl on Broadway in San Diego.

jackpot
08-08-2017, 06:23 PM
your new Willie Hoppe, Master Stroke, or ku king Snooker came with
a black and white ferrule. They came in a round case with a screw on top.
And man oh man if you had one you were cool.
jack

Stones
08-09-2017, 07:36 AM
When I realized I still have a tip tapper hanging on my key chain so long that the points went totally flat years ago. Probably, 35+ years. LOL

Stones

chefjeff
08-09-2017, 07:51 AM
When I realized I still have a tip tapper hanging on my key chain so long that the points went totally flat years ago. Probably, 35+ years. LOL

Stones

...when you've been driving your '71 Pinto to the pool hall for all this time!

Jeff, pin pool ain't bad, Livingston

FranCrimi
08-09-2017, 10:26 AM
--- When you find a pack of those red, white and blue cue papers in your drawer.
--- When you still have some milk-soaked Champion tips left.
--- When you remembered when everyone wore aprons. (If you didn't, you'd get a blue chalk line around your jeans that somehow didn't come out in the wash.)
--- When the rails were covered with cigarette burn marks.
--- When you had to develop a real stroke (not a fake one) to move the cue ball around on the slow cloths.
--- When you played on directional pool table cloths.
--- When you remembered going to Minnesota Fats or Willie Mosconi exhibitions at your local pool hall.

cue4me
08-09-2017, 10:46 AM
When coin-op bar tables cost .10 per game.
When playing 6-ball or 9-ball you could push-out on every shot.

PoolBum
08-11-2017, 01:51 PM
You attempt to kill a man during an argument over a pool game that happened years ago.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2017/08/shootout_in_birmingham_mcdonal.html#incart_river_h ome_pop

poolguy4u
08-11-2017, 01:59 PM
:boring2:

.....when you know there is no such thing as an aiming system.

.....there's only one place to hit the ball to make it, so you just shoot it in.

pt109
08-11-2017, 02:22 PM
--- When you find a pack of those red, white and blue cue papers in your drawer.
--- When you still have some milk-soaked Champion tips left.
--- When you remembered when everyone wore aprons. (If you didn't, you'd get a line around your jeans that somehow didn't come out in the wash.)
--- When the rails were covered with cigarette burn marks.
--- When you had to develop a real stroke (not a fake one) to move the cue ball around on the slow cloths.
--- When you played on directional pool table cloths.
--- When you remembered going to Minnesota Fats or Willie Mosconi exhibitions at your local pool hall.

That wasn't a blue chalk line...it was the aluminum border on GC1s.
Some rooms would coat them and the lines stopped.

chefjeff
08-12-2017, 06:47 AM
Does anyone make aprons and those green visors for pool players anymore?

Jeff Livingston

pt109
08-12-2017, 07:02 AM

Jeff Livingston

Those were my father's generation...some old guys still wore them when i started.
I tried a green visor...I like my eyes protected from glare....but the reflection of the steel
joint going back and forth made me go to a golf visor.

But i wouldn't use an apron to sink a ball...hell, I don't wear one AT a sink.

p...the Russians are cleaning up...t

Sealegs50
08-12-2017, 07:40 AM
…you think loser should pay for table time.

…you remember laying your cue on a table and nobody would touch it unless given permission.

…you remember having to shower after coming home to wash off the cigarette smoke. You also had separate clothes for the pool hall that you took off in the garage before coming in the house.

Poolhall60561
09-03-2017, 10:38 AM

Jeff Livingston
I see aprons on some of the one pocket players at Red Shoes
They must still make them

Poolhall60561
09-03-2017, 10:47 AM
When you remember large rooms filled with 9 and 10' tables, no music, no booze, just cigerates and coffee. You needed to go to a man in a cage to pay, get your balls and get the lights turned on. The only lights were over the tables. More sweaters than players. No 8 ball, that was a bar game.

JoeyA
09-03-2017, 06:32 PM

You can still get that at Buffalo's on Bloomfield in New Orleans.

JoeyA

Jaden
09-03-2017, 07:14 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS

Jaden

terryhanna
09-03-2017, 07:47 PM
You Know You've Been Playing Pool For A Really Long Time When..you remember when table time was only 60 cents an hour :eek:

Ekojasiloop
09-03-2017, 08:58 PM
You can remember a time when people actually made money playing.

DJSTEVEZ
09-03-2017, 09:09 PM
You Know You've Been Playing Pool For A Really Long Time When..

You recognize what this is, have seen one in your local pool hall and can tell me what it was used for ;)

btw, I understand ones in pristine condition will fetch a small king's randsome from collectors.

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/0407/08/antique-calculagraph-time-clock_1_ae2acabc78250163866acac1ea4ee0d9.jpg

OK, this is pretty interesting...call me a geek.
https://tedium.imgix.net/2017/07/0706_calculagraphad2.jpg

LAlouie
09-04-2017, 12:08 AM
when the wpba members start to look good

pdcue
09-04-2017, 12:31 AM

You might be less amazed if you had payed $1600 to get new carpeting in your room,
and the FIRST day some dickweed had let his cigarette roll off those stupid slanting
rails and burn a hole in the carpet.

Dale

Ghosst
09-04-2017, 08:05 AM
When I start my car, the satellite nav system automatically assumes I'm going to the pool hall and displays traffic information for me. I didn't program it to do this, it just knows me. :grin-square:

StraightPoolIU
09-04-2017, 08:37 PM
You Know You've Been Playing Pool For A Really Long Time When..

You recognize what this is, have seen one in your local pool hall and can tell me what it was used for ;)

btw, I understand ones in pristine condition will fetch a small king's randsome from collectors.

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/0407/08/antique-calculagraph-time-clock_1_ae2acabc78250163866acac1ea4ee0d9.jpg

OK, this is pretty interesting...call me a geek.
https://tedium.imgix.net/2017/07/0706_calculagraphad2.jpgThere is one of these (or something very similar to it) on the counter of the room where I play. Unfortunately it's not in good shape and has not been in many many years I woukd guess.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jay helfert
09-05-2017, 04:15 AM

So....Re-baize a table?
Doesn't sound right.
Re-cloth it is then.

"Recovering" the table is the proper term for putting new cloth on the table.

jay helfert
09-05-2017, 04:16 AM
There is one of these (or something very similar to it) on the counter of the room where I play. Unfortunately it's not in good shape and has not been in many many years I woukd guess.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I used one of these in my first poolroom in Bakersfield in the 1970's. Worked flawlessly!

jay helfert
09-05-2017, 05:02 AM
When I had to sneak into the pool hall because I was under 18 in Dayton, Ohio. Every real poolroom had at least one snooker table (10' American model) and one Three Cushion table. Most places charged sixty cents per hour per player. Ninety cents was considered expensive. Some places still charged by the game, usually a dime and the loser had to pay. You had to wait for the rack man to rack the balls for the next game.

In most poolrooms no deposit was necessary to play. They just handed you the balls and sent you to a table. You paid when you finished, it was all on the honor system. Every poolroom had a large assortment of house cues in varying weights from 15 ounces to 21. If you found a good house cue to your liking you put an identifying mark on it or even hid it somewhere when you finished playing.

You could buy a new Balabushka for $200! (I owned two and sold both when I went broke). There were poolrooms everywhere in the early 60's! Most were the new "family" style rooms with deco furniture and bright lighting. They were big places with sixteen or more tables and moms could feel comfortable leaving their kids there (if they didn't serve alcohol).

If you drove to the next town over, you were "on the road." Every poolroom had a "steer" man who would help you find games for a small cut of your winnings (usually 10%). As soon as you beat someone who could play you would be subject to local "knockers" trying to kill your action. It was time to move on. If you went broke, you slept in your car and sometimes you had to play "on ass" (with no money in your pocket) to get pumped up again. If you lost in that spot you had to give up your cue and maybe your watch (I never did, lol).

Winning $50 was a nice "score." If you had $400 in your pocket you felt like a rich man. You had no bank account, only the money in your pocket or in the glove compartment of your car. A really good hustler owned a Cadillac. There were at least a few hundred hustlers working the U.S. poolrooms and you would see the same faces all over the country. No one had a break cue and only one shaft to play with. If your tip got bad you had to change it yourself using a good knife, sandpaper, some glue and a large rubber band.

Everyone played 9-Ball and only the good players played One Pocket. In the Northeast they still played Straight Pool and in Kentucky, Tennessee, Southern Ohio and around Chicago, Bank Pool was popular. The old time players could play snooker and billiards as well and all of them said Greenleaf was the greatest player, not Mosconi. Lassiter was the King in the 60's and Ed Kelly was the rising star. Ronnie Allen ruled the One Pocket scene. Bar table pool was considered stealing by the real pool players, but that's where they went to make money. There were more suckers in the bars then the poolrooms and anyone could challenge the table by putting a quarter on the rail. A dollar a game (or a drink) was normal in most bars and a good player good make $25 or $30 in a night by holding the table for awhile when they had the chance.

Johnston City and then the Stardust kicked off a new tournament scene and many poolrooms and bars stated putting on money added events. The best players started traveling to these events for the gambling action more so than the tournament itself which was secondary. The very best hustlers avoided the tournaments and didn't want anyone to know them. Cameras were often forbidden at tournaments with most players not wanting their pictures taken. The Billiard News was the only pool newspaper, written and prepared by Earl Newby. It was full of typo errors but the only source of pool news about who was winning the tournaments.

That's enough nostalgia for now. :)

Island Drive
09-05-2017, 06:29 AM
My 60's Original BrAd Scuffer is older than most who frequent this website. It's a tool I still use every time before I begin play, and before the start of every match.

terryhanna
09-05-2017, 06:33 AM
My 60's Original BrAd Scuffer is older than most who frequent this website. It's a tool I still use every time before I begin play, and before the start of every match.
I had one of those on my key chain for twenty years they never wear out either lol

alstl
09-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Your opponent tries to shark you and you think it's funny - and then he gets mad because you laughed. He ends up sharking himself.

fastone371
09-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Still have one :D

I have one exactly the same in blue, I always wondered if it was a 2 piece, I dont think its ever been apart.

Curt
09-06-2017, 04:46 PM
When Predator made a five spliced shaft when Allan M. was still experimenting

pt109
09-06-2017, 05:54 PM
When Predator made a five spliced shaft when Allan M. was still experimenting

The early ones were six and twelve piece....he settled for ten only later on.
Allan recommended the twelve piece for breaking.
He shipped me the fifth cue made of the BKs...first edition.
The tip was a 15 mm that had been in the vice for four days....
...best break tip I ever had.

cubswin
09-06-2017, 05:58 PM
When all of the guys you wanted to play like have passed away, and you look around and are surrounded by kids in their 30's.

I used to love champion tips

Quesports
09-06-2017, 07:37 PM
When you had to walk through the shoe shine parlor to enter the pool room which had a sign over the door, NO GIRLS ALLOWED!

pt109
09-06-2017, 08:07 PM
When you had to walk through the shoe shine parlor to enter the pool room which had a sign over the door, NO GIRLS ALLOWED!

..and the only washroom had them swinging half doors like the movie saloons.

woodyosborne
09-08-2017, 02:27 AM
You Know You've Been Playing Pool For A Really Long Time When..you remember when table time was only 60 cents an hour :eek:

dang! i'm old! 35 cents in college times-70's. played 14 hours under 5 bucks.