PDA

View Full Version : Schon LTD vs Jerry Franklin Southwest Cue

and1_fm
08-05-2017, 11:55 PM
So I've been playing with Predator Cues, Mezz Cues, and now playing with Schon LTD cues. I've heard Southwest cues are good.

Just wonder what do you guys think of Schon cues against Southwest, in case of playability and build quality. Which one do you choose and why ?

thank you for your answer

rumerx
08-06-2017, 12:22 AM
Apples and Oranges.....
Southwests are probably the worst cues I ever played with.

If you want a lot of squirt, not talking about p*rn, go with Southwests, and expect to pay premium, for a shitty product.

jasonlaus
08-06-2017, 01:10 AM
Apples and Oranges.....

If you want a lot of squirt, not talking about p*rn, go with Southwests, and expect to pay premium, for a shitty product.

He picked the 2 cues with the most deflection, so, I guess they are similar. Lol

and1_fm
08-06-2017, 02:38 AM
Apples and Oranges.....

He picked the 2 cues with the most deflection, so, I guess they are similar. Lol

What about the buttom quality ? the balance, etc

jasonlaus
08-06-2017, 02:53 AM
What about the buttom quality ? the balance, etc

You're gonna have to play more center ball and maybe a tip of english, so you are gonna have to be on the right side of the object ball more often and not use a lot of english unless you are filipino, and they tend to be on the right side of the OB more than not. Lol

Southwest for sure is the better cue, but at a much higher price( which you will get back if you ever sell) any production cue you buy at normal price you should be prepared to take a loss

cubswin
08-06-2017, 02:54 AM
I would personally take the southwest. I like schon's, have owned a bunch, but I like the stiff hit of a southwest far more. Not to mention the value is going to go up on the southwest most of the time, not so much for schons.

and1_fm
08-06-2017, 06:32 PM
thanks guys for your inputs..

KMRUNOUT
08-06-2017, 11:39 PM
Strange...my experience with Southwest is that I have loved the hit of every one I try. Honestly all the ones I hit with were before Predator was a thing, so I didn't know anything about deflection. However, years later after using a 314 and 314-2 for many years, I hit with an 80's Jerry Franklin Southwest with original micarta ferrule and honestly, I felt like I didn't have to adjust at all! By far the lowest non-LD (lol) cue I ever tried.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

macneilb
08-07-2017, 11:53 AM
Playability wise they're very different. One is a piloted steel jointed cue with a gradual/traditional taper on both the butt and the shaft. The other has a big pin wood/wood joint and has a pronounced conical taper which all affects the hit dramatically. To me, they both hit stiff, but each had it's own distinctive feel. You can't go wrong with either, it just depends on your preference as a player.

With that being said, you can find alot of good affordable Schon's on the market, but you will generally lose a little on re-sale (unless you get it second hand at a good price). With a SW you'll be paying more (a whole lot more) intially, but they tend to hold their value as they have somewhat of a cult following and their demand exceeds their supply.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

HIRUN526
08-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Schon is a well made excellent production cue.

South West is a well made excellent custom made cue.

Two totatlly different price ranges.

I have played with both and they are both really nice hitting cues.

If you have the dough and are willing to spend it go for the South West.

Either cue you are a winner.

deanoc
08-07-2017, 12:52 PM
I was with jerry franklin in dallas at Wizards pool room
some years back

Jerry was attracted to a table with several schon cues on it
after a few minutes he observed what good cues the schons were

A lot of cue for the money
or just a lot of cue

I agree with your observation

I love the south west cues,more than anything
butI was surprised to find that I liked the play of the Schon as well