PDA

View Full Version : Getting the break consistant

HaroldWilson
08-06-2017, 12:58 AM
I have started playing 9ball after a long rest focusing on one pocket. My opponent racks the balls with the 9-ball on the spot and the 2ball at the back of the pack. I have been breaking from close to the left cushion near the head string and hitting the 9-ball on the left hand side with low left English.

The white then screws into the left side rail and generally 1 or 2 balls enter the top left side pocket near the foot of the table and the one ball settles near the left pocket near the head string with the cue ball landing nearby.

I have been practising every Saturday for a 3 hr session. The first session the break was working well and I regularly had an easy one ball to start with and then could run out. In this session I had 13 break and run outs and decided to start keeping a record.

Yesterday I played on the same table with the aim of reaching 15 or 20 break and runs using the identical break fundamentals. However, i only managed 5 and either I wasn't pocketing any balls off the break or the one ball wasn't going near the left pocket or the white was ending up in a poor place.

Does anyone have any adjustments that they use to get the break more consistent because lately my break has been holding back my game in a big way and it is starting to feel like pulling teeth.

KMRUNOUT
08-06-2017, 01:05 AM
I have started playing 9ball after a long rest focusing on one pocket. My opponent racks the balls with the 9-ball on the spot and the 2ball at the back of the pack. I have been breaking from close to the left cushion near the head string and hitting the 9-ball on the left hand side with low left English.

The white then screws into the left side rail and generally 1 or 2 balls enter the top left side pocket near the foot of the table and the one ball settles near the left pocket near the head string with the cue ball landing nearby.

I have been practising every Saturday for a 3 hr session. The first session the break was working well and I regularly had an easy one ball to start with and then could run out. In this session I had 13 break and run outs and decided to start keeping a record.

Yesterday I played on the same table with the aim of reaching 15 or 20 break and runs using the identical break fundamentals. However, i only managed 5 and either I wasn't pocketing any balls off the break or the one ball wasn't going near the left pocket or the white was ending up in a poor place.

Does anyone have any adjustments that they use to get the break more consistent because lately my break has been holding back my game in a big way and it is starting to feel like pulling teeth.

The first step is to make sure you are getting a frozen rack every time. If you're not, honestly there is no point in really going any further.

KMRUNOUT

Bob Jewett
08-06-2017, 08:51 AM
The first step is to make sure you are getting a frozen rack every time. If you're not, honestly there is no point in really going any further.

KMRUNOUT
And to do this you need to either get a racking template or train the table. In either case, you still have to check each rack carefully for gaps and correct them.

dr_dave
08-06-2017, 09:17 AM
For racking advice, see the racking tricks resource page (http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/break.html#tight).

And for lots of ideas for improving your break, see the break technique and equipment advice resource page (http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/break.html#advice).

Enjoy,
Dave

goettlicher
08-06-2017, 11:59 AM

Why left hand english?

randyg

pt109
08-06-2017, 12:14 PM
Why left hand english?

randyg

Harold uses low left........It's actually high right in our hemisphere.

KMRUNOUT
08-06-2017, 12:26 PM
Why left hand english?

randyg

For the 9 on the spot break, lots of English can be an effective way to make balls.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87673)

HaroldWilson
08-07-2017, 03:41 AM
And to do this you need to either get a racking template or train the table. In either case, you still have to check each rack carefully for gaps and correct them.

Yes I have a magic rack and think I will make it rack your own.

HaroldWilson
08-07-2017, 03:43 AM
Why left hand english?

randyg

I am trying to screw the white into the left cushion and then have it lay around centre of the table.

HaroldWilson
08-07-2017, 03:44 AM
Harold uses low left........It's actually high right in our hemisphere.

Haha very good :)

HaroldWilson
08-07-2017, 03:45 AM
For the 9 on the spot break, lots of English can be an effective way to make balls.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87673)

Yes I am finding the more I dig into the white and follow through the English the more balls seem to go in. Good advise

Tony_in_MD
08-07-2017, 03:57 AM
Since the 9 is on the spot practice trying to pocket the 1 in the opposite side pocket (from where you are breaking from) A little left and adjust your aim on the one until you start pushing it to the side pocket.

Yes I am finding the more I dig into the white and follow through the English the more balls seem to go in. Good advise

ceebee
08-07-2017, 08:27 AM
Find some of the tournaments where the 9 is racked on the spot. Then you can watch the games' finest giving it a go...

Tony_in_MD
08-07-2017, 08:42 AM
There are some gems here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkByJCwTqSo

bwally
08-07-2017, 08:50 AM
I have started playing 9ball after a long rest focusing on one pocket. My opponent racks the balls with the 9-ball on the spot and the 2ball at the back of the pack. I have been breaking from close to the left cushion near the head string and hitting the 9-ball on the left hand side with low left English..

I'm assuming you meant hitting the 1-ball. Not hitting the 1-ball on the break would be a foul.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk