PDA

View Full Version : China Open payouts

jay helfert
08-06-2017, 07:05 PM
I just saw on Facebook where Shane said that players remain unpaid from the last China Open, sanctioned by the WPA. He is debating whether to go back to China for the next event there. Does anyone have any insight into this situation and when was the China Open?

P.S. I see that the China Open was held in the first two weeks of June, two months ago! I have one word to say about that - UNBELIEVABLE!

gxman
08-06-2017, 07:12 PM
http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_and_events/123-china-world-9-ball-open/7867-2017-china-open-mens-division/results/

Was Shane at that event? Not seeing him on the money list.

Its a shame if true. Which probably is..

Nick B
08-06-2017, 08:09 PM
Air Barreled Chinese style.

iusedtoberich
08-06-2017, 08:21 PM
The WPA dropped the ball. When they made Barry POST up the cash a few years ago for the US 9 Ball Open, they should have applied that same standard to every promoter seeking WPA sanction under the sun. If a promoter is honest and has the cash up front (which they all should imo, before putting on an event), then even the promoters who paid every single year for 30 years would have no problem posting the cash with the WPA.

Only a promoter who is dishonest, or does not have their shit together, would have a problem posting up. Same as playing a cash game and posting on the light.

cardiac kid
08-06-2017, 08:24 PM
I just saw on Facebook where Shane said that players remain unpaid from the last China Open, sanctioned by the WPA. He is debating whether to go back to China for the next event there.

Jay,

Notice that your post does not say Shane did not get paid, it said players were not paid. Perhaps gxman is correct? What say you?

Lyn

Joe_Jaguar
08-06-2017, 08:43 PM
Why does SVB state "WPA has not paid players from china open". Was the WPA the promoter? Has anything been changed where the WPA is guaranteeing payouts, doing escrow, etc?

AtLarge
08-06-2017, 09:25 PM
http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_and_events/123-china-world-9-ball-open/7867-2017-china-open-mens-division/results/

Was Shane at that event? Not seeing him on the money list.

Its a shame if true. Which probably is..

Shane did not play in that China Open June 4-11. He played The Break Room 8-Ball Classic June 3-4 and the Accu-Stats Make-It-Happen One-Pocket Invitational June 8-11. During the MIH event, Pat Fleming publicly expressed thanks for some players sticking to their commitment to play in his event even after a bigger-money event (China) was announced for the same time frame.

The subject of unpaid prize money from the China event would still be of interest to Shane in deciding whether to go to future events there.

NastyNate13
08-06-2017, 09:41 PM
Players should boycott WPA events if players aren't getting paid.

Without the product playing in your events then there's nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

pt109
08-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Why does SVB state "WPA has not paid players from china open". Was the WPA the promoter? Has anything been changed where the WPA is guaranteeing payouts, doing escrow, etc?

The WPA is the sanctioning body...shouldn't it be in it's mandate to protect players?

TILT9
08-07-2017, 12:28 AM
How do we fix this , but most of all , how do we confirm this.

Johnnyt
08-07-2017, 03:05 AM
Who is the promoter for the China Open? Is it a Joy Table sponsored event? Johnnyt

jay helfert
08-07-2017, 04:24 AM
Jay,

Notice that your post does not say Shane did not get paid, it said players were not paid. Perhaps gxman is correct? What say you?

Lyn

Shane didn't go, but he heard that players who did go and won money remain unpaid. This will have a direct bearing on his decision whether or not to go to the next tournament in China (also WPA sanctioned) during the second week of September.

alstl
08-07-2017, 08:09 AM
Was this in Taiwan or mainland China?

one stroke
08-07-2017, 08:28 AM
Shane did not play in that China Open June 4-11. He played The Break Room 8-Ball Classic June 3-4 and the Accu-Stats Make-It-Happen One-Pocket Invitational June 8-11. During the MIH event, Pat Fleming publicly expressed thanks for some players sticking to their commitment to play in his event even after a bigger-money event (China) was announced for the same time frame.

The subject of unpaid prize money from the China event would still be of interest to Shane in deciding whether to go to future events there.

Never stopped him from playing in the US Open ,,

Black-Balled
08-07-2017, 08:37 AM

Huhsay what??

You need a globe?:banghead:

pt109
08-07-2017, 10:49 AM

Huhsay what??

Shane got paid in full...albeit a little late.
Shane and Barry were on good terms after...

Cardigan Kid
08-07-2017, 08:46 PM

Didn't Jayson Shaw cancel on the make it happen to go to China for this tournament?
I'm sure if he didn't collect his $3 K in winnings that will also directly influence future decisions to travel there.

More importantly, all we ever hear is the future of the sport is in China. The advent of Chinese 8 ball and also the supposed millions of pool players in China yet players are not getting paid. I used to think well at least pool has a future even if it was in China, now the future looks even more bleak.

garczar
08-08-2017, 06:25 AM
Stiff artists in China? Say it ain't so. Add to that the air you can not only see but feel and taste, why would anyone go to that s^*thole? Shanghai isn't so bad but the rest of the country is a colossal dump.

BmoreMoney
08-08-2017, 10:53 PM
I just saw on Facebook where Shane said that players remain unpaid from the last China Open, sanctioned by the WPA. He is debating whether to go back to China for the next event there. Does anyone have any insight into this situation and when was the China Open?

P.S. I see that the China Open was held in the first two weeks of June, two months ago! I have one word to say about that - UNBELIEVABLE!

And........

klone
08-09-2017, 05:47 AM
Shane is going into Beast Mode about this.

jay helfert
08-09-2017, 06:42 AM
Shane got paid in full...albeit a little late.
Shane and Barry were on good terms after...

I was TD or Co-TD for about a dozen years there and Barry typically fell short on making payments to the top finishers each year. If you finished in the top three or four you would then have to negotiate a payment schedule with Barry. If you were lucky, you might be paid in full within three months, but being paid a monthly allotment for as long as six to nine months was not unusual for the winner.

jay helfert
08-09-2017, 06:47 AM
And........

The WPA is totally ineffective about making sure that "Guaranteed" prize money is real or that players will in fact be paid in a timely manner (if at all)! They are good about getting their "sanction fee" up front though! Beware of the upcoming World Ten Ball in Manila! A disaster waiting to happen and only silence from the WPA. Are you beginning to get the picture?

Joe_Jaguar
08-09-2017, 07:27 AM
Regarding this upcoming WPA sanctioned event in China, when was this changed from being the highly touted :rolleyes: new WPA World 8 Ball Championships to now being the "Jinan Heritage Classic"? :confused:

alstl
08-09-2017, 11:22 AM
And........

China is still communist and the last time I checked any major enterprise didn't exist without a commissar attached. The government of Jinan is just a spin off of the government in Beijing and the government in Beijing could get the players paid if they wanted to.

Black-Balled
08-09-2017, 12:46 PM
The WPA is totally ineffective about making sure that "Guaranteed" prize money is real or that players will in fact be paid in a timely manner (if at all)! They are good about getting their "sanction fee" up front though! Beware of the upcoming World Ten Ball in Manila! A disaster waiting to happen and only silence from the WPA. Are you beginning to get the picture?

#1 is taken care of, fuk'yall?

Am i close, jay?

GideonF
08-09-2017, 12:53 PM
Shane has just posted on FB that he, Billy and Sky are all skipping the China event due to these issues.

TheLoneSilencer
08-09-2017, 01:48 PM
Good they could all skip the event as none of them were going to win it anyway.

9andout
08-10-2017, 02:38 AM
Huhsay what??

Globe? Who are you kidding? -- Max Eb ;)

RoadHustler
08-10-2017, 08:04 AM
So out of curiosity who didn't get paid? I can't find that info anywhere.

Joe_Jaguar
08-10-2017, 08:08 AM
So out of curiosity who didn't get paid? I can't find that info anywhere.

SVB and others have stated on Facebook that the winner Joshua Filler (40K) has not been paid nor any plans to pay, communicated to him.

westcoast
08-10-2017, 08:35 AM
I thought Shane, Thorpe, and sky's boycott was a good thing until I learned that these aren't the same promoters. Just because it is the same country doesn't mean the same thing will happen

Justin Bergman
08-10-2017, 08:43 AM
Lol exactly Jay.. They take there 5 percent from each player from the Mosconi Cup. $1,000 per player from the winning team & $500 per player from losing team. So they get $7,500 for doing nothing.

sixpack
08-10-2017, 08:53 AM
I thought Shane, Thorpe, and sky's boycott was a good thing until I learned that these aren't the same promoters. Just because it is the same country doesn't mean the same thing will happen

That was my initial thought too. But I have since changed my mind because it's the WPA who sanctioned the event and who is responsible for making sure they get paid. Boycotting the WPA makes sense in that context. If top players won't show up to WPA events then the promoters will put pressure on them or stop,sanctioning their events through the,.

Joe_Jaguar
08-10-2017, 09:02 AM
Lol exactly Jay.. They take there 5 percent from each player from the Mosconi Cup. $1,000 per player from the winning team & $500 per player from losing team. So they get $7,500 for doing nothing.

Well they did "reserve" the dates on their calendar :rotflmao:

RunoutJJ
08-10-2017, 01:03 PM
Is Annigonni in China now?

LAMas
08-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Is Annigonni in China now?

Is he an instructor there?

Black-Balled
08-10-2017, 01:52 PM
Is he an instructor there?

Tournament consultant. Black hat.

BLACK HAT!

GideonF
08-10-2017, 02:17 PM
Shane just posted the following from Ian Anderson of the WPA:

Dear All

I am still awaiting confirmation from phone conversations today about the Jinan Heritage Classic 8-Ball event scheduled for Jinan next month. The news Iím awaiting is most likely not going to be good. They did say the event is not cancelled, but wouldnít confirm if it would go ahead either. If the event is cancelled, we will be seeking compensation, but thatís no guarantee either. Please advise your players of the situation and warn them not to buy any tickets if they havenít already done so. I will update you immediately something is received.

Thank you - Ian Anderson

Joe_Jaguar
08-10-2017, 02:32 PM

Dear All

I am still awaiting confirmation from phone conversations today about the Jinan Heritage Classic 8-Ball event scheduled for Jinan next month. The news Iím awaiting is most likely not going to be good. They did say the event is not cancelled, but wouldnít confirm if it would go ahead either. If the event is cancelled, we will be seeking compensation, but thatís no guarantee either. Please advise your players of the situation and warn them not to buy any tickets if they havenít already done so. I will update you immediately something is received.

Thank you - Ian Anderson

They can't even get a confirmation more than a month out, pathetic.

So this went from being a WPA World 8 Ball Championships in Toronto that was set aside in 2016 to support this new event in China (as the 2017 World 8 Ball Championships), to being quietly renamed & downgraded to the Jinan Heritage Classic 8-Ball which isn't even confirmed a month out.

WTF does the WPA do for their cut of the pie?

iusedtoberich
08-10-2017, 03:04 PM
The WPA world 8 ball championship in Toronto would have gone away also, even if the Chinese never wanted the event.

They used the same money to do a brand new multi-stop tour. That tour was cancelled before the first event. The cash was never there.

This is all the more reason the WPA needs to COLLECT ALL THE CASH 3 months before an event. If a promoter is living event to event, and can't front the money himself, then he should not be a promoter!!!!!

Get that through everyone's head.

iusedtoberich
08-10-2017, 03:08 PM
This is the only way to get credibility back in the game. Start with Zuglan. Make him post the cash 3 months out. Every single promoter under the sun for large events should post. I don't care if they never missed a payment. If Zuglan, with a 100% track record posts, then sure as shit some newbie wannabe promoter in China better post.

WPA has no balls to do this.

GideonF
08-10-2017, 03:10 PM
The WPA world 8 ball championship in Toronto would have gone away also, even if the Chinese never wanted the event.

They used the same money to do a brand new multi-stop tour. That tour was cancelled before the first event. The cash was never there.

This is all the more reason the WPA needs to COLLECT ALL THE CASH 3 months before an event. If a promoter is living event to event, and can't front the money himself, then he should not be a promoter!!!!!

I don't think that's a fair version of what happened. As I understand it (and I was not involved, so take it for what it is worth) the cash for the Toronto event was promised for a World 8b Championship event and my own view is that if that event had come to pass the money would have been there. What they did not have sufficient confirmation of was whether that cash could be used for a multi-stop tour (which is unfortunate, no doubt).

That said, I don't disagree with your comment on what the WPA should be doing to ensure that the prize money is posted in advance if an event is going to have WPA sanctioning.

banditgrrr
08-10-2017, 03:16 PM
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee386/banditgrrr/Capture.jpg

My name is Kim Jung il and I support this message. I hope all the players come to the new WPA sanctioned North Korean 9 Ball Blast tournament. Dates TBD

iusedtoberich
08-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Promoters stiffing players is just as common as players stiffing other players. Was it Jose Parica that won 5 or 6 events in a row in the 90's and never got any of it?

Hell, we had a guy in Philly steal a few grand from the tour in the early 2000's. Thibk it was called the NE Players tour. Forgot his name. He took all the money for the year end championship event.

This happens time and time again. From big to small events. Anagoni. Hell, even that huge event in the Phillipines about 10 years ago that Efren and Busty both boycotted because of the promoter. Pretty sure that was a WPA world championship. That promoter stuffed the players.

garczar
08-10-2017, 03:22 PM

My name is Kim Jung il and I support this message. I hope all the players come to the new WPA sanctioned North Korean 9 Ball Blast tournament. Dates TBDAlso included are free DMZ tours and a roast dog with kimchi dinner.

Joe_Jaguar
08-10-2017, 03:24 PM
This is the only way to get credibility back in the game. Start with Zuglan. Make him post the cash 3 months out. Every single promoter under the sun for large events should post. I don't care if they never missed a payment. If Zuglan, with a 100% track record posts, then sure as shit some newbie wannabe promoter in China better post.

Zuglan can't even figure out racking rules :rolleyes:

pt109
08-10-2017, 04:08 PM

The money was there for a WORLD TITLE...it wasn't there
for a lesser tournament.

I'd like to be there when somebody tells Mike Zuglan he has to post.
Mike runs a good tour..but try telling him what to do and see how you like it.

LAMas
08-10-2017, 05:32 PM

My name is Kim Jung il and I support this message. I hope all the players come to the new WPA sanctioned North Korean 9 Ball Blast tournament. Dates TBD

Announcement from the grave.

cardiac kid
08-10-2017, 07:53 PM
Zuglan can't even figure out racking rules :rolleyes:

There has NEVER been a single player who was not immediately paid by Mie Zuglan and the Joss Northeast 9 Ball Tour. To bring Mike's name into this discussion is out of line.

Yes, racking is a problem. Mike however does not change the rules of the game. The one ball is still racked on the spot! He also gets 128 players to PREPAY to play in his Turning Stone event.

Lyn

jasonlaus
08-10-2017, 08:21 PM
There has NEVER been a single player who was not immediately paid by Mie Zuglan and the Joss Northeast 9 Ball Tour. To bring Mike's name into this discussion is out of line.

Yes, racking is a problem. Mike however does not change the rules of the game. The one ball is still racked on the spot! He also gets 128 players to PREPAY to play in his Turning Stone event.

Lyn

Some people are just stupid
Jason

jay helfert
08-10-2017, 10:43 PM

Dear All

I am still awaiting confirmation from phone conversations today about the Jinan Heritage Classic 8-Ball event scheduled for Jinan next month. The news I’m awaiting is most likely not going to be good. They did say the event is not cancelled, but wouldn’t confirm if it would go ahead either. If the event is cancelled, we will be seeking compensation, but that’s no guarantee either. Please advise your players of the situation and warn them not to buy any tickets if they haven’t already done so. I will update you immediately something is received.

Thank you - Ian Anderson

How the WPA can put events like this on their calendar without doing a thorough background check on the promoters and the funding is beyond me. Pretty piss poor business practices any way you look at it. The byword of the WPA should be, "Let's just get that sanction fee and see what happens!" :thumbup:

JAM
08-10-2017, 11:37 PM
Many moons ago, I brought up the fact that the WPA only cares about getting their hands greased and does not contribute to professional pool's prosperity. Some higher-ups in the pool world supported WPA back then and let me know politely that they thought my opinion was wrong. It wasn't wrong then, and it's not wrong now.

As well, I brought up the fact many moons ago that the BCA doesn't give a hill of beans about professional pool. This is an area that needs attention. The BCA only cares about the industry dues-paying members and the pool fourth estate. Professional pool has been totally abandoned, yet they are supposed to be the so-called "governing body of professional pool in North America." Phooey!

iusedtoberich
08-11-2017, 06:57 AM
You guys are missing the point of why I picked Zuglan for my example. Its not because I'm stupid....

He is an upstanding guy, that has paid on the spot since the beginning. It is FOR that reason someone like him would be the perfect example. The point of my post, is to make the WPA escrow the money from ALL promoters (if its WPA sanctioned). Once a few upstanding guys like Zuglan escrow the money every event to the WPA, then the players will start to say "this is the norm". And it will shift the tide into forcing new or questionable promoters to also escrow their money.

You don't start a shift by having bum promoters escrow the cash. They don't have it to begin with, that's why they are bums. You start the shift by having excellent promoters like Zuglan escrow the cash.

The only reason Zuglan would have been a poor choice for my example is if his events are not WPA sanctioned, I forget if they are. If they are not, then insert Sullivan's name for his DCC 9 ball event.

You guys get it now?

jasonlaus
08-11-2017, 07:40 AM
You guys are missing the point of why I picked Zuglan for my example. Its not because I'm stupid....

He is an upstanding guy, that has paid on the spot since the beginning. It is FOR that reason someone like him would be the perfect example. The point of my post, is to make the WPA escrow the money from ALL promoters (if its WPA sanctioned). Once a few upstanding guys like Zuglan escrow the money every event to the WPA, then the players will start to say "this is the norm". And it will shift the tide into forcing new or questionable promoters to also escrow their money.

You don't start a shift by having bum promoters escrow the cash. They don't have it to begin with, that's why they are bums. You start the shift by having excellent promoters like Zuglan escrow the cash.

The only reason Zuglan would have been a poor choice for my example is if his events are not WPA sanctioned, I forget if they are. If they are not, then insert Sullivan's name for his DCC 9 ball event.

You guys get it now?

Yep:thumbup:
Jason

The WPA is worse than the Mob, I've never understood what these thieves do anyway except steal money.

pt109
08-11-2017, 08:09 AM

You guys get it now?

We always got it....but disagree.
Greg Sullivan aint going for this either...why should the good guys get branded like
the bad guys?

Would you go for this?....uncertain promoters being bonded.

iusedtoberich
08-11-2017, 09:38 AM
We always got it....but disagree.
Greg Sullivan aint going for this either...why should the good guys get branded like
the bad guys?

Would you go for this?....uncertain promoters being bonded.

Yes, I'd go for it. Its to cause a shift in the entire industry. Its not about "my" event. Its about "everyone's" event.

But, we all know that will never happen. Pool is every man for himself, and that includes promoters.

Cardigan Kid
08-11-2017, 09:46 AM

Lyn

When at the turning stone classic, late into Saturday and throughout Sunday, you will regularly hear Mike on the PA system announcing players names to come to his desk so they can get paid.

At one point I remember hearing from Mr. Zuglan: "still looking for a few players, and yes, we are the only pool tournament in the world who chases down the players to pay them their winnings". :D

Long live the Joss Northeast 9 ball tour.

iusedtoberich
08-11-2017, 09:46 AM
Here is another totally off topic post, but about the Asian countries. We in the US have said for the past 15 years that Asia is the future of the game, because the govt supports their players.

I think that might end soon, if it was even ever really true to a large group of players.

In the US, all of the other sports became much more popular than pool, less people are playing pool, no pool on actual TV, and no fans except the pool nuts like us.

Pool is popular in Asia now, but I see the same exact things happening there, that has happened here. The game itself is simply not as exciting to the fan as the major sports. The govt will shift sponsorship money away from pool, and into whatever sports are major over there. The game itself is the problem. Not the support (or lack of) of the host country.

LAMas
08-11-2017, 11:19 AM
Many moons ago, I brought up the fact that the WPA only cares about getting their hands greased and does not contribute to professional pool's prosperity. Some higher-ups in the pool world supported WPA back then and let me know politely that they thought my opinion was wrong. It wasn't wrong then, and it's not wrong now.

As well, I brought up the fact many moons ago that the BCA doesn't give a hill of beans about professional pool. This is an area that needs attention. The BCA only cares about the industry dues-paying members and the pool fourth estate. Professional pool has been totally abandoned, yet they are supposed to be the so-called "governing body of professional pool in North America." Phooey!

Reminds me of the past political regime.

mchnhed
08-11-2017, 12:10 PM
Time for a New Regimen!
Oh Wait!
That's North Korea I'm thinking about.

Reminds me of the past political regime.

garczar
08-11-2017, 06:07 PM
Here is another totally off topic post, but about the Asian countries. We in the US have said for the past 15 years that Asia is the future of the game, because the govt supports their players.

I think that might end soon, if it was even ever really true to a large group of players.

In the US, all of the other sports became much more popular than pool, less people are playing pool, no pool on actual TV, and no fans except the pool nuts like us.

Pool is popular in Asia now, but I see the same exact things happening there, that has happened here. The game itself is simply not as exciting to the fan as the major sports. The govt will shift sponsorship money away from pool, and into whatever sports are major over there. The game itself is the problem. Not the support (or lack of) of the host country.I read somewhere that over SIXTY MILLION people play Chinese 8ball. Wow. That's pretty strong.

jay helfert
08-11-2017, 06:12 PM

You guys get it now?

But if they did that and no one wanted to post (escrow) the money, then how could the WPA make anything? They need to be able to announce big prize money events, put them on their calendar and collect their fee IN ADVANCE! That way they have their cut before anyone else get's theirs! Kapeche :rolleyes:

BeiberLvr
08-11-2017, 06:23 PM

Pool is popular in Asia now, but I see the same exact things happening there, that has happened here. The game itself is simply not as exciting to the fan as the major sports. The govt will shift sponsorship money away from pool, and into whatever sports are major over there. The game itself is the problem. Not the support (or lack of) of the host country.

Welcome to the club.

one stroke
08-11-2017, 06:32 PM
Huhsay what??

Step off that tricycle back on to planet earth not getting paid here is no different than not getting paid there except the fact it's much more rare and you got more outa pocket , his two partners in crime have zero shot to begin with infact I'm not so sure they would have gone anyway so putting them into the conversation is pretty comical to begin with
Shane has more than enough money to take a flyer and chase a missing link in his legacy which ultimately will be a part of his legacy for what ever that's worth