PDA

View Full Version : Pool table brands to avoid?

WVShootist
08-09-2017, 02:22 AM
So,

After 3 years it's looking like I'm finally getting a sizable raise, if/when it comes through I'm going to be tearing the garage down and building a new 2 car with an apartment over top of it. So after years of being square footage poor, I'll finally have room for a home table.

I see a ton on Craigslist (I was told that's the route to go anyway since I'll have to pay people to professionally install, if the stuff is worn, no big deal, have them replace it). I know Diamond and Brunswick are notable brands--are there any I should avoid? Or is a 9' drop pocket going to be about the same no matter who makes it minus having the resale value of a Diamond, etc.?

JoseV
08-09-2017, 03:16 AM
I could be wrong but i think a drop pocket might be a little less than a Table with a Ball return system, If you can, try to look at the table in person or get as many pics as possible and ask RKC to look at those pics if he's willing, he will give you a No Bullshit Assessment.

JoseV
08-09-2017, 03:22 AM
Also Gold Crowns and Diamond Tables can very well be avoided if they look like they are in very bad shape, Those two big name tables do have older bad models out there that people are trying to disguise and pass off as good shape. This goes for any brand for that matter.

I hope you find the best table you can.

WVShootist
08-09-2017, 03:41 AM
I could be wrong but i think a drop pocket might be a little less than a Table with a Ball return system, If you can, try to look at the table in person or get as many pics as possible and ask RKC to look at those pics if he's willing, he will give you a No Bullshit Assessment.

It definitely should be, either way, less things to mess up that I might have to get repaired is my thinking in the matter. haha Thanks for the replies!

CuesDirectly
08-09-2017, 05:04 AM
So,

After 3 years it's looking like I'm finally getting a sizable raise, if/when it comes through I'm going to be tearing the garage down and building a new 2 car with an apartment over top of it. So after years of being square footage poor, I'll finally have room for a home table.

I see a ton on Craigslist (I was told that's the route to go anyway since I'll have to pay people to professionally install, if the stuff is worn, no big deal, have them replace it). I know Diamond and Brunswick are notable brands--are there any I should avoid? Or is a 9' drop pocket going to be about the same no matter who makes it minus having the resale value of a Diamond, etc.?

Fantastic, are you putting the table in the Garage or upstairs?

The Garage will have a 1/4" per foot slope that slopes towards the Garage door.

WVShootist
08-09-2017, 05:29 AM
Fantastic, are you putting the table in the Garage or upstairs?

The Garage will have a 1/4" per foot slope that slopes towards the Garage door.

Ideally upstairs but I'll have to wait and see what kind of estimates I get if the raise gets approved. Truthfully I would like to just make a single room with a bathroom over the garage but that won't help re-sale value as much as a fully functional 2 bedroom apartment. lol

Black-Balled
08-09-2017, 05:30 AM
I would suggest figuring out whether you want a furniture or commercial style table, then figure out who the best mechanic in your area is.

Then use that mechanic to help you decide which table yoi will purchase. In my experience, these guys often have tables on hand, or have a line on where to get them. An added benefit is the mechanic can add a technical eye that you cant.

I would add that you are in a great position, with time to shop. There are tons of folks who have tables they want gone, so deals are out there.

Fnd that trustworthy and knowledgeable mechanic and let him do as much of the work as he can. You will realize great benefit by using the resources available to yoj.

Congrats on the career bump too, for sure.

Oh- golden west. Dont pick that one!

Sweatin'
08-09-2017, 06:15 AM
First off, let me say that Black-Balled has offered you some excellent advice above.

Having said that, I'm in a similar situation to you so I'll be watching this thread with great interest to see if you get more specific recommendations than I have been able to. It's been my experience here that every request for table recommendations ends up with advice to get either a Diamond or a Gold Crown, period. Nothing else should be a consideration. That may be good advice but problem is they are not out there for sale on every street corner, at least in the Atlanta area where I am. Plus, I can't imagine many sellers would let you dismantle a table before purchasing and even a mechanic doesn't have X-ray vision, so you could end up with a Frankentable, cracked slate or who knows what.

Anyway, I would look for an American made table. For me, if I can't find a Gold Crown that comes down to these:

Olhausen--many cite pocket rattle as a problem and it can be, but I don't think it's a lot worse than many others. And it can be mitigated.

Connelly--at one time well-respected, but I'm not sure how they are regarded post-buyout 8 or 9 years ago.

A.E. Schmidt--an old family owned company, but like Connelly they don't offer a commercial table if that's important.

Brunswick--if you can find a 9 footer (other than a GC) made before they started "international sourcing" (what was it, 2000?) this might be a good bet.

Gandy--not well regarded here but I've always liked them a lot.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted.

mchnhed
08-09-2017, 06:36 AM
First off, let me say that Black-Balled and Sweatin' have offered you some excellent advice above.

If you are on the Left Coast the old Global Commercial Tables are solid.

The AMF GC knock-off's always looked fine.

Not sure of the playability of either one.

Have fun with your new playroom.

BTW: Make the space a Studio Apartment Design.

JazzboxBlues
08-09-2017, 07:47 AM
I decided when I was going to get a pool table I was going to accept nothing less than a Gold Crown. I know that I'm serious about taking my game to the next level and I could potentially have this table for the rest of my life.

maha
08-09-2017, 08:01 AM
a good old brunswick of the high quality ones, or a gold crown will be the most reasonably priced and the best tables you will find. and old other brands you will never be happy with. and older brunswicks and gold crowns in good condition can be found in the 1000 dollar range.

michael4
08-09-2017, 09:03 AM
Ideally upstairs but I'll have to wait and see what kind of estimates I get if the raise gets approved. Truthfully I would like to just make a single room with a bathroom over the garage but that won't help re-sale value as much as a fully functional 2 bedroom apartment. lol

If building over a 2 car garage, that will be 400-500 sq feet, not enough for a two bedroom, but good for a studio.

Add the bathroom and also a small kitchen along one wall, that way its great for the man cave, but also rent-able down the road should you want to do that.....

Or a good place to put mother in law when she comes to live with you :eek:

Vince_Former_BB
08-09-2017, 09:32 AM
In my humble opinion......and if you have the budget.....Brunswick Anniversary or Centennial but have it put set up with great cloth and tight tight tight pockets....4-1/4" The thing is a beast of a table and will last several lifetimes. The next ones up from there are the Gold Crown I's and Gold Crown II's then the III's I genuinely like the way Diamond cuts their pockets and the way the slate extends a tad further into the hole so when that thing has small pockets they play just great. If you're a handy kind of guy trying finding an Anniversary or Centennial and refurbishing it. (God, I love those things.) I also much prefer ball returns vs. drop pockets. Drop pockets just sound crappy to me. Few things are more rewarding than hearing a ball drop into the pit at the end of a table. Just my opinion.

Texas Carom Club
08-09-2017, 09:57 AM
4.25 pockets, lolz!

why stop there, tell him to get a snooker table with 3 inch pockets

buckets
08-09-2017, 10:45 AM
My parents got a Connelly home table. It plays nice, though the leather basket pockets are very hard on brand new tables. I've had a few balls bounce out, but I think that it'll be fine after they break in.

WVShootist
08-09-2017, 11:35 AM
If building over a 2 car garage, that will be 400-500 sq feet, not enough for a two bedroom, but good for a studio.

Add the bathroom and also a small kitchen along one wall, that way its great for the man cave, but also rent-able down the road should you want to do that.....

Or a good place to put mother in law when she comes to live with you :eek:

Plans to go bigger than standard for extra room off to the side but just have two garage doors. Outside of pool my hobby is weaponry, so hoping to have the space to open up a home forge and get my FFL to run a custom knife shop and sell firearms as a side gig someday when I have more free time.

May still be too small for a two bedroom but that's my goal to maximize it's appeal and value.

DrCue'sProtege
08-10-2017, 08:13 AM
Are you sure you are going to have enough room above a two car garage? Assuming you have a walled-off bedroom and bathroom, will there be enough room?

I lived above a 32x24 two car garage with one bedroom and one bath for about ten years and really didn't have enough room for a pool table except a 7-footer. I finally had it made 12 feet wider, into a 44x24 three car garage and then had enough room for my Gold Crown IV.

Be careful here if you want a pool table up there.........

r/DCP

us820
08-10-2017, 10:56 AM
Avoid

Brunstwick
Connory
Valby
Diabond

Cheap imitations at best

mchnhed
08-10-2017, 11:01 AM
Avoid:
Brunstwick
Connory
Valby
Diabond
Cheap imitations at best
I'd add Sears, Monkey Wards, Minnesota Fats and Mazerik Tables to that list.
Except of course for the ones with the Fold-up Legs. Those are nice.

I assume you mean the Furniture Brunswick's, not the Commercial Brunswick's.
Some of pre-China Furniture Brunswick's are not too bad. Rumor is that Connelly build some of them.

The Secret is...... Solid, Heavy Rails over all else.

Sweatin'
08-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Got a little hopeful this morning because I found out that a local mechanic/mover I know and trust can get a good deal on a new Golden West, and I'd always heard good things about them. Then I did a search here and came across that horror story posted a few years back by RKC. Looks like another possibility bites the dust.

I hate to let one anecdote dictate such a negative opinion about a brand, but you gotta figure RKC knows his business and is telling the truth. And the customer only lived 10 blocks from the factory!

Black-Balled
08-10-2017, 01:49 PM
Golden West? What the...

That is the only brand i recall being mentioned in this thread that specifically addresses the question 'what brand...avoid'.

I dont want to have to apologize to the words for wasting them. They deserve better.

GideonF
08-10-2017, 02:36 PM
First off, let me say that Black-Balled has offered you some excellent advice above.

Having said that, I'm in a similar situation to you so I'll be watching this thread with great interest to see if you get more specific recommendations than I have been able to. It's been my experience here that every request for table recommendations ends up with advice to get either a Diamond or a Gold Crown, period. Nothing else should be a consideration. That may be good advice but problem is they are not out there for sale on every street corner, at least in the Atlanta area where I am. Plus, I can't imagine many sellers would let you dismantle a table before purchasing and even a mechanic doesn't have X-ray vision, so you could end up with a Frankentable, cracked slate or who knows what.

If I lived in Atlanta, my first and last call would be to Mark Gregory (AZ member and an undisputed master table mechanic). I know he has done fancy and expensive complete restorations and rebuilds, but if money is tight I would tell him that and see what he can work out.

Sweatin'
08-10-2017, 02:50 PM
If I lived in Atlanta, my first and last call would be to Mark Gregory (AZ member and an undisputed master table mechanic). I know he has done fancy and expensive complete restorations and rebuilds, but if money is tight I would tell him that and see what he can work out.

I have done exactly that.

Money isn't the reason I haven't bought a GC. I'd be happy to pay the going rate but simply haven't been able to find one. I've come to the conclusion that you guys who give the impression that they're easy to find must not live in the south. It must be a regional thing, and very likely due to the south being swamped with Gandys during the heyday of the GC. I realize Gandy sold other places too, but they were all you saw in rooms down here back in the day. In talking to my mechanic/mover this morning he told me that in doing 12-15 tables every week for 17 years he's never encountered even one.

Dexter36
08-10-2017, 04:21 PM
Took me over 6 months to find a gold crown, was worth the wait 10x over. All I did to change my luck was stop searching the want ads/ web and ask the hosts at the local hall who had the goods. Text chain ended up 6 people deep on referrals, but I eventually found a guy with a whole pile of them! Too bad you are not in Utah, he has several gc1's left as well as an anniversary that has been in his family for 50+. Don't give up, they are out there!

us820
08-10-2017, 07:19 PM
I would not buy anything other than a gold crown.Between that and a house table you might be a grand more for infinitely higher quality.

JazzboxBlues
08-10-2017, 07:27 PM
I guess I got lucky finding my Gold Crown IV despite the problems I found dissembling it. These are some bolts that hold the frame together. Unfortunately the nuts that belong to these are encapsulated in the frame. Not something I thought I'd have to deal with. I'll go more in depth later when I actually go about fixing this.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=467072&stc=1&d=1502418389

mchnhed
08-10-2017, 07:49 PM
That just goes to show you.......

Never dry assemble threaded fasteners.

Corrosion will happen.

Grease, Anti-lock or at least oil.

Always!

JazzboxBlues
08-10-2017, 07:51 PM
That just goes to show....

Galvanic corrosion will happen.

Grease, Anti-lock or at least oil.[b]

[B]Always!

That's not galvanic corrosion.

Black-Balled
08-10-2017, 07:52 PM

Money isn't the reason I haven't bought a GC. I'd be happy to pay the going rate but simply haven't been able to find one. I've come to the conclusion that you guys who give the impression that they're easy to find must not live in the south. It must be a regional thing, and very likely due to the south being swamped with Gandys during the heyday of the GC. I realize Gandy sold other places too, but they were all you saw in rooms down here back in the day. In talking to my mechanic/mover this morning he told me that in doing 12-15 tables every week for 17 years he's never encountered even one.

Did you say where you are? Lotsa pool people from all over the country visit this joint.

jamnut
08-10-2017, 07:56 PM
Here are some pool table reviews:

http://www.mainehomerecreation.com/product-reviews/

Black-Balled
08-10-2017, 07:58 PM

But, but, but...he knows everything and you should know.

mchnhed
08-10-2017, 08:05 PM
That just goes to show you.......

Sacrificial Anodic Corrosion will happen.

Grease, Anti-lock or at least oil.

Always!

OK.
Correction made.

Sweatin'
08-10-2017, 08:11 PM
Did you say where you are? Lotsa pool people from all over the country visit this joint.

I'm in the Atlanta area.

mchnhed
08-10-2017, 08:13 PM
OK.
Could be regular corrosion.

Doesn't negate the fact that a coating of grease would prevent it from happening.

Yes B-B....

I Know All. See All.

BmoreMoney
08-10-2017, 08:19 PM
While I know you have asked for na,especially to avoid; with SO MANY crappie ones out there it is my pics more practical for suggested good ones. Yes, I'm gonna gas Cold Crown and Diamond of course but that's for good reason. As to the drop pockets, that's gonna be a preference thing but don't expect to save a whole lot with DPs over a return in a used table. I really don't like DPs. If you are considering getting a DP table I'd recommend spending several sessions several hours long at a room with that type of table to make sure you really like it. Can't speak to your region , but I very regularly see GOLD Crown 3s for sale all the time between $1k and 1.5k. Craigslist, here you can find them but join some popular groups on FB and you'll find all you need daily almost. One last thing, if you are serious about pool at all or ever plan to be do yourself a big favor and make sure you get a commercial table and not a furniture table. Aside from holding their value way way better, the construction will be countless times better as will the play be. As others have saod, WI'll last you a lifetime. Good luck !

WVShootist
08-10-2017, 10:10 PM
Are you sure you are going to have enough room above a two car garage? Assuming you have a walled-off bedroom and bathroom, will there be enough room?

I lived above a 32x24 two car garage with one bedroom and one bath for about ten years and really didn't have enough room for a pool table except a 7-footer. I finally had it made 12 feet wider, into a 44x24 three car garage and then had enough room for my Gold Crown IV.

Be careful here if you want a pool table up there.........

r/DCP

The one boon is I really don't intend to park inside the garage, so if the floor plans aren't satisfactory I should be able to easily accommodate a table downstairs. But yea, it's all speculation at this point--once I see the money I'll be able to get more defined ideas as I have contractors come by and give estimates.

GideonF
08-10-2017, 10:20 PM

How about this one: https://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/spo/d/brunswick-gold-crown-pool/6163317377.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WVShootist
08-10-2017, 10:23 PM
While I know you have asked for na,especially to avoid; with SO MANY crappie ones out there it is my pics more practical for suggested good ones. Yes, I'm gonna gas Cold Crown and Diamond of course but that's for good reason. As to the drop pockets, that's gonna be a preference thing but don't expect to save a whole lot with DPs over a return in a used table. I really don't like DPs. If you are considering getting a DP table I'd recommend spending several sessions several hours long at a room with that type of table to make sure you really like it. Can't speak to your region , but I very regularly see GOLD Crown 3s for sale all the time between $1k and 1.5k. Craigslist, here you can find them but join some popular groups on FB and you'll find all you need daily almost. One last thing, if you are serious about pool at all or ever plan to be do yourself a big favor and make sure you get a commercial table and not a furniture table. Aside from holding their value way way better, the construction will be countless times better as will the play be. As others have saod, WI'll last you a lifetime. Good luck !

Drop pockets are just a preference, I feel like less can go wrong that I'll have to get fixed down the road. But yea I'm hoping to find a nice table that's roughly equal to what I find in public venues--having a home table will be awesome for a lot of reasons but the driving factor behind it is definitely becoming a better, more consistent player. And that seems like it will be easier to do if I'm practicing on familiar equipment.

But yea if $1-1.5k is a general amount for a table that everyone universally recommends, I believe I'll try to get one of those. And thanks!

Thanks to everyone else for the replies as well.

GideonF
08-10-2017, 10:38 PM
Drop pockets are just a preference, I feel like less can go wrong that I'll have to get fixed down the road. But yea I'm hoping to find a nice table that's roughly equal to what I find in public venues--having a home table will be awesome for a lot of reasons but the driving factor behind it is definitely becoming a better, more consistent player. And that seems like it will be easier to do if I'm practicing on familiar equipment.

But yea if $1-1.5k is a general amount for a table that everyone universally recommends, I believe I'll try to get one of those. And thanks!

Thanks to everyone else for the replies as well.

Do factor in moving/set up and new cloth (like Simonis). Maybe $500 more.

WVShootist
08-10-2017, 11:52 PM
Do factor in moving/set up and new cloth (like Simonis). Maybe $500 more.

I was budgeting at around $2k, I definitely want blue Simonis cloth, so looks like I'll probably be right at budget to get what I want--maybe a few hundred less if I'm lucky. Still, not spending $100+ in quarters a month, it will pay for itself in a year and a half. haha

BmoreMoney
08-11-2017, 12:25 AM
I was budgeting at around $2k, I definitely want blue Simonis cloth, so looks like I'll probably be right at budget to get what I want--maybe a few hundred less if I'm lucky. Still, not spending $100+ in quarters a month, it will pay for itself in a year and a half. haha

Honestlyrics if you take your time looking aroumd; and it sounds like you have plenty of time, I see many tables even at that price range with either new or very good cloth already on it and it always seems to be Simonis.

WVShootist
08-11-2017, 01:47 AM
Honestlyrics if you take your time looking aroumd; and it sounds like you have plenty of time, I see many tables even at that price range with either new or very good cloth already on it and it always seems to be Simonis.

Best of both worlds then! And yea, all the time in the world--if everything goes perfectly I'm still probably looking at next around Spring for a completion date. But if I find the right table, close enough, at the right price I'll definitely storage unit that bad boy. haha

JazzboxBlues
08-11-2017, 02:56 AM
OK.
Correction made.

It's not corrosion at all. They were cross threaded most likely due to not starting them by hand before using an impact or drill to drive them.

I've seen black pipe screwed into copper and never corrode. I do believe a dielectric union should be used for that application though.

Black-Balled
08-11-2017, 05:43 AM
I'm in the Atlanta area.

Then you are set. One call to mark gregorywill have you a happy table owner.

Remember that a pool table is a purchase akin to a piano: you are only gonna buy it one and barring some sot of disaster, it will oitlast you. Do it right!

claymont
08-11-2017, 06:19 AM
OK.
Could be regular corrosion.

Doesn't negate the fact that a coating of grease would prevent it from happening.

Yes B-B....

I Know All. See All.

The term that I used and heard to describe this situation is thread galling. Not a nice thing when it happens on the rail nuts. A little anti-sieze compound helps to keep things turning smoothly.

JazzboxBlues
08-11-2017, 06:31 AM
Then you are set. One call to mark gregorywill have you a happy table owner.

Remember that a pool table is a purchase akin to a piano: you are only gonna buy it one and barring some sot of disaster, it will oitlast you. Do it right!

Exactly the way I feel and why I wouldn't compromise on getting a GC.

Black-Balled
08-11-2017, 06:33 AM
Exactly the way I feel and why I wouldn't compromise on getting a GC.

I got one too!

Possibly the best purchase i ever made.

WVShootist
08-11-2017, 11:55 AM
I got one too!

Possibly the best purchase i ever made.

I'm definitley going to try. Whatever I end up finding, I'm hoping it has narrow pockets. The bar tables I shoot on has soccer goals for pockets and I think it really limits my game because I get by with so many sloppy shots.

I played at a guy's house a few weeks ago that had a nice 9' Brunswick and it was like I had never held a cue before. Completley embarrasing. Lol

mchnhed
08-11-2017, 12:02 PM

The term that I used and heard to describe this situation is thread galling. Not a nice thing when it happens on the rail nuts. A little anti-sieze compound helps to keep things turning smoothly.
That's the point of my original post.
Never Dry Assemble Threaded Parts.
Grease, Anti-Sieze or at least Oil.

iusedtoberich
08-12-2017, 05:25 AM
I know money is money, but you are probably looking at 40K at least for tearing down an existing garage, building a new 2 story structure, plumbing for a kitchen and bath, electrical, hvac, etc. What's an extra 3K then for a nice used GC with new cushions (if it needs them), new simonis, light, and installed by a good mechanic? Or 6K for a factory direct new Diamond installed? Don't get anything but these two tables, if you are wanting to be a serious player, and you have the cash to pay for a 40k building:)

Sweatin'
08-12-2017, 06:20 AM
I know money is money, but you are probably looking at 40K at least for tearing down an existing garage, building a new 2 story structure, plumbing for a kitchen and bath, electrical, hvac, etc. What's an extra 3K then for a nice used GC with new cushions (if it needs them), new simonis, light, and installed by a good mechanic? Or 6K for a factory direct new Diamond installed? Don't get anything but these two tables, if you are wanting to be a serious player, and you have the cash to pay for a 40k building:)

I'm not the OP but I'm also looking for a table. Like the OP, so far the search for a GC has not been fruitful (here in Atlanta anyway, and yes I've talked at length to Mark Gregory). Three grand for a nice GC? Heck, I'd be only too happy to write a check for 4 grand today for a nice one, up and running. I'd find a place to store it for the next several months until my house is ready. I've about come to the conclusion that if I want a GC (I do) I'm just going to have to belly up and pay a mechanic from another part of the country where GCs are more abundant to find me one, restore it and bring it down to GA. Whatever it cost it'd probably still be cheaper than a Diamond.

And can you actual get a Diamond 9' Pro for 6K? That would sure solve my problem, but I was under the impression that by the time I paid shipping and setup here in north GA the $5400. price FOB factory turned into a number 7K or over. Please educate me.

iusedtoberich
08-12-2017, 06:40 AM
I'm not the OP but I'm also looking for a table. Like the OP, so far the search for a GC has not been fruitful (here in Atlanta anyway, and yes I've talked at length to Mark Gregory). Three grand for a nice GC? Heck, I'd be only too happy to write a check for 4 grand today for a nice one, up and running. I'd find a place to store it for the next several months until my house is ready. I've about come to the conclusion that if I want a GC (I do) I'm just going to have to belly up and pay a mechanic from another part of the country where GCs are more abundant to find me one, restore it and bring it down to GA. Whatever it cost it'd probably still be cheaper than a Diamond.

And can you actual get a Diamond 9' Pro for 6K? That would sure solve my problem, but I was under the impression that by the time I paid shipping and setup here in north GA the $5400. price FOB factory turned into a number 7K or over. Please educate me.

I bought a 2 private owner GC4, never in a pool hall, in Atlanta, on these forums, for 3200 installed. With new simonis cloth, a nice light, a wall rack, and Super Pro balls. Southern Billiards removed the table from the prior owner's home, and installed it in my home. I was happy with their work. Give them a call, see if they have anything available.

GideonF
08-12-2017, 06:59 AM

What about the craigslist GC1 I noted in an earlier post?

Sweatin'
08-12-2017, 10:30 AM
What about the craigslist GC1 I noted in an earlier post?

It's actually in Alabama, which isn't such a big problem itself, but the table has had a pretty hard life. It appears to have been moved while it was all put together, which raises more concerns as well. It would cost me $500 to have a competent mechanic go look at it, so just based on what it appears to be I've ruled it out.

RichSchultz
08-12-2017, 10:35 AM
I am in Atlanta and having my 9' Brunswick Metro Pro Edition delivered today by someone in Florida. He has several and I wish I had told you earlier.

Sweatin'
08-12-2017, 10:46 AM
I bought a 2 private owner GC4, never in a pool hall, in Atlanta, on these forums, for 3200 installed. With new simonis cloth, a nice light, a wall rack, and Super Pro balls. Southern Billiards removed the table from the prior owner's home, and installed it in my home. I was happy with their work. Give them a call, see if they have anything available.

Thanks very much for the recommendation.

Somehow these folks were not on my radar screen and I thought I'd talked to everybody in the area. I'll go see them soon.

Sweatin'
08-12-2017, 10:47 AM
I am in Atlanta and having my 9' Brunswick Metro Pro Edition delivered today by someone in Florida. He has several and I wish I had told you earlier.

If you find he has more, please let me know.

GideonF
08-12-2017, 10:53 AM
It's actually in Alabama, which isn't such a big problem itself, but the table has had a pretty hard life. It appears to have been moved while it was all put together, which raises more concerns as well. It would cost me $500 to have a competent mechanic go look at it, so just based on what it appears to be I've ruled it out.

Fair enough. It didn't seem that far away (but I'm not familiar with the geography) and I'm surprised a mechanic would charge that much, especially if GCs are rare in your area - because they might pick up for themselves on spec or for someone else with the "if you ever find one let me know" history.

I don't know how to do this on Craigslist, but on Kijiji you can set it up to send you alerts for certain searches. So if possible I would ask for alerts for "Gold Crown" and "Diamond Pool Table" within an hour or two of you. You will get some false positives, but you might find one and you've got time.

Banger
08-12-2017, 11:16 AM

That's kind of that way it is here in Texas. Gold Crowns do come up for sale from time to time, but it's not like you have a lot to choose from. I wasn't in a big rush, so I looked around for 1 1/2 years before I found a GC I could get serious about. I actually bought it from a member on this board. It was in very nice condition, and the rails had already been rebuilt by RKC.

Well anyway, the point is time is on your side, so don't let it get you frustrated. A nice one will turn up eventually.

Good luck with your project. :)

RichSchultz
08-12-2017, 11:17 AM
I can have him call you; pm me your number. It was $2700 including delivery, installation and new Simonis 860.

Humboldthero
08-12-2017, 12:04 PM
I went and looked at this GC III. Located in Warner Robins. Offered them a grand. It's in OK to good condition. They'd prob take $1500 it'd def go if you offered 2. https://macon.craigslist.org/fuo/d/brunswick-pool-tablegold-crown/6196335810.html

PA Has Been
08-13-2017, 05:56 AM
Saunier-Wilhem tables from the 50's and 60's are good tables that can be found cheap. They appear to be knock offs from the Gold Crowns. Saunier-wilhem is no longer in business, but they had locations in Greensboro, NC, Birmingham, AL, and Pittsburgh, PA. My grandfather had these tables in his room for over 20 years from 1950's to 1979 giving him good service. I recently purchased 2 of them for $300 each and have restored them for less than a total of $2000 including Simonis cloth. Anyone living near these areas should keep these in mind. Just my opinion. thank you.

mchnhed
08-13-2017, 08:22 AM
I can have him call you; pm me your number. It was $2700 including delivery, installation and new Simonis 860.

I would go to the Table Mechanics section and ask them about the Metros.
Me personally, I don't like the weird shaped rails, draws my eye away from my sight line.

I'm not sure of the overall quality either. I have not seen one in person.
They do sell a lot of them in Asia.

Sweatin'
08-13-2017, 08:40 AM
Me personally, I don't like the weird shaped rails, draws my eye away from my sight line.

Good grief man, the guy just got a new table and he's rightfully proud of it.

This would be a good time to dislike it or question the quality quietly. They were used for a period of times in tournaments and I don't remember anyone refusing to play on them.

mchnhed
08-13-2017, 08:47 AM
Good God Man!
The post was directed to the person looking for a table, you!
Not at the guy who just got one.

Good grief man, the guy just got a new table and he's rightfully proud of it.

This would be a good time to dislike it or question the quality quietly. They were used for a period of times in tournaments and I don't remember anyone refusing to play on them.

If you find he has more, please let me know.

RichSchultz
08-13-2017, 09:24 AM
Thanks Sweatin....appreciate that.

Sweatin'
08-13-2017, 09:26 AM
Good God Man!
The post was directed to the person looking for a table, you!
Not at the guy who just got one.

And the difference is what?

I'm aware of what a Metro looks like.

Texas Carom Club
08-13-2017, 09:44 AM
I love the metro
If I had the money and choice I'd pick it over a gc

mchnhed
08-13-2017, 10:09 AM
I love the metro
Isn't that the new GCVI?

mchnhed
08-13-2017, 10:11 AM
I love the metro
Isn't that the new GCVI?

I wasn't slamming the Metro.
I am just as curious as the next guy as to their quality of build and play.
I've have never seen one so I was asking for the Table Mechanics experience's with them.

RichSchultz
08-13-2017, 10:34 AM
Isn't that the new GCVI?

I wasn't slamming the Metro.
I am just as curious as the next guy as to their quality of build and play.
I've have never seen one so I was asking for the Table Mechanics experience's with them.
Well, in the Metro, there is a world of difference between the 8' and 9' tables. Gotta go with 9', as it has pro cut pockets. I'm LOVING it.