PDA

View Full Version : So in pool, the DOMINANT EYE is MYTH?

JoeyA
08-09-2017, 12:57 PM
http://forums.azbilliards.com/picture.php?albumid=794&pictureid=17310

JoeyA

mchnhed
08-09-2017, 01:02 PM
Dominant eye has always been a reality in Pool, Snooker, Shooting Sports, Archery.

How to hold your head and aim is the sticky wicket.

boogeyman
08-09-2017, 01:27 PM
http://forums.azbilliards.com/picture.php?albumid=794&pictureid=17310

JoeyA

Of course the dominant eye theory is NOT a myth.

I've been on the side of this theory forever.

It's sad though that many instructors are against the concept because they don't understand how it fits into their instruction-set; so they simply ignore it.

The dominant-eye is not absolute, mind you.
Instead because one eye is (more often) relatively stronger than the other, there is a gradient (spectrum of stick placement) going on here.
Unless one were totally blind in one eye, the stick (in this case) would then go UNDER the only eye available. This one is a no-brainer.

Now, as is the case of most people having (and using) two eyes to play pool,
the stick will go under the head according to where and how strong the dominant eye is.

The more dominant one eye happens to be, the closer the stick will be placed to (under) that eye,
and the less dominant one eye happens to be, the closer to the middle of both eyes the stick will be placed.
There are fewer players who have the stick located exactly under the middle of their eyes.

It's a matter of millimeters we're talking here.
Now, the snooker article you present has one small error: what often looks like a stick located directly UNDER one eye, is really only relatively CLOSER to that eye.
Again, we're talking about millimeters here.

Look at Strickland: His right eye is relatively more dominant.
So his cue is placed relatively closer to (under) his right eye.
For most people, this is automatic, but for some, they need to find their dominant eye and its strength.

For crying out loud, instructors, test for this so that the stick can be placed properly under their head, and they can "see" the stick and subsequent shot correctly.

In some instances, that's why some people never play consistently.
They are not utilizing their dominant setup.

So, instructors, test for this.
You will save your students many-a-heartache in their learning curve(s).
We can then stop talking about this concept on this forum. :thumbup:

demartini rocks
08-09-2017, 02:01 PM
say here's a thought: maybe the instructors don't want to teach those students that because once that is figured out along with other facets of the game that have to be worked on perhaps those students will stop coming for more lessons?

PhilosopherKing
08-09-2017, 02:05 PM
Yes, "dominant eye" is a myth. "Master eye" is the key.

If both eyes are of equal strength, why can't the cue be positioned left, right, or center?

Agent 99
08-09-2017, 02:28 PM
I once knew a dominate man who had one eye.

He was in the loan shark business - a real genuine shiloc !!

If you owed him money he would keep an eye out for you.

Hope this helps.

john coloccia
08-09-2017, 04:59 PM
Just line up the cue along something straight (I use T-Slots in my drill press or table saw, but a piece of paper with a straight line is fine too). Get down in your stance. Move your head around until the cue looks like it's lined up with the line underneath it.

Not sure why anyone would ever make it more complex than this.

pt109
08-09-2017, 05:21 PM
Just line up the cue along something straight (I use T-Slots in my drill press or table saw, but a piece of paper with a straight line is fine too). Get down in your stance. Move your head around until the cue looks like it's lined up with the line underneath it.

Not sure why anyone would ever make it more complex than this.

I understand it to be even simpler...bring the cue to your eyes rather than your eyes to the cue...
...you might have noticed.....the cue can't see.

I am extremely right-eyed...can't read anything with my left...so when I was a kid, i had a
small goatee....someone noticed that my beard was parted somewhat to the right....
...but I had days I shot out of my left eye....never bothered me....
...see the shot as best as you can...THEN place the cue.

BRussell
08-09-2017, 05:25 PM
I am extremely right-eyed...can't read anything with my left...

Out of curiosity, is your binocular vision right-eye dominant as well? Because not being able to read well is a different issue.

pt109
08-09-2017, 05:33 PM
Out of curiosity, is your binocular vision right-eye dominant as well? Because not being able to read well is a different issue.

Not sure technically, but any time I want to peer at something closely, my heads tends to
turn to left left slightly....still got good peripheral vision with both eyes, however.

john coloccia
08-09-2017, 05:49 PM
I understand it to be even simpler...bring the cue to your eyes rather than your eyes to the cue...
...you might have noticed.....the cue can't see.

I am extremely right-eyed...can't read anything with my left...so when I was a kid, i had a
small goatee....someone noticed that my beard was parted somewhat to the right....
...but I had days I shot out of my left eye....never bothered me....
...see the shot as best as you can...THEN place the cue.

The point is to get your head in a position where your eyes tell you the truth, and to remember that position. For me it's easy...I have a very low stance and my chin often grazes the cue, and I remember exactly what the feels like when everything is right.

ceebee
08-09-2017, 06:58 PM
I have played with an man that aimed with one eye while shooting with another eye or so it seemed. I could never figure out, how he was able to pocket balls like he did. & he played good position. Seen him run many an 8- Ball rack. To this day I do not know how played as well as he did.