PDA

View Full Version : New OB-1 Shaft on Schon - Any Consensus on Breaking with It?

Get_A_Grip
08-12-2017, 10:34 AM
Just got my first LD shaft for my Schon. Is there a general consensus on whether it's okay to break with it? It looks like is has a wooden ferrule.
(I do have a cue that I use for breaking for leagues, but when I go out to the bars for a fun night of playing, I only like to bring a small case with one cue).

On another note. As far as shots with lots of English on the CB, it appears to play very similar to my standard Schon shaft. One thing that I did notice though, is that making thin cut shots down the rail seems to work much better from a consistency standpoint.

garczar
08-12-2017, 10:57 AM
Just got my first LD shaft for my Schon. Is there a general consensus on whether it's okay to break with it? It looks like is has a wooden ferrule.
(I do have a cue that I use for breaking for leagues, but when I go out to the bars for a fun night of playing, I only like to bring a small case with one cue).

On another note. As far as shots with lots of English on the CB, it appears to play very similar to my standard Schon shaft. One thing that I did notice though, is that making thin cut shots down the rail seems to work much better from a consistency standpoint.I owned one and never broke(except 1p) with it. They are a ROYAL PITA to fix if you break one. Grab a house cue if you don't have a breaker.

claymont
08-12-2017, 11:48 AM
I play with two cues. One has an OB1, the other an OB2, been playing with and breaking with for years. No problems so far. I don't try to damage the balls, just spread them apart:groucho: I've got break cues but hardly use them. I feel I have more control with the OB's.

Get_A_Grip
08-12-2017, 12:08 PM
I guess it's safe to say then that if I stick with the softer, second-ball 8-ball break with it, then I definitely should be fine. But doing big "thunder-bolt" breaks might not be advisable.

lakeman77
08-13-2017, 01:45 AM
8 ball second ball break, should not be a problem.

RiverCity
08-13-2017, 02:46 AM
Grab a house cue if you don't have a breaker.

Bingo!

You CAN break with one, but why risk damage. Break off the wall, and save yourself possible headaches. :grin:

zencues.com
08-13-2017, 02:57 AM
You will break or crack the wood ferrule on an OB-1 eventually if you break with it.

I know that from experience :(

cuesblues
08-13-2017, 03:28 AM
My little company is the only authorized OB repair shop in Colorado.
At least we were the last time I looked

I say no unless you're playing straight pool or one pocket.

:smile:

Ched
08-13-2017, 06:01 PM
I owned one and never broke(except 1p) with it. They are a ROYAL PITA to fix if you break one. Grab a house cue if you don't have a breaker.

yup .. ^^^ what he said ^^^