PDA

View Full Version : Diminishing shaft diameter

jakedp1
08-13-2017, 02:01 PM
Over time I have noticed that a shaft I use starts out at 12.8 mm and over the course of the past 5 months it is down to 12.72. The purpose for this shaft was to replace an old shaft that was worn down to 12.5. It as well started at 12.8mm. I use a Q Wiz to clean the shaft once a week maybe. I've had the same Q Wiz for more than a year. There is virtually no sandpaper left on the one side. I play quite often. The shafts I've been playing with are the Jacoby hybrid edge shafts. Is this just a thing that happens with low deflection shafts? Does anyone have any knowledge or suggestions for me to prevent this from happening?

Straightpool_99
08-13-2017, 02:19 PM
Over time I have noticed that a shaft I use starts out at 12.8 mm and over the course of the past 5 months it is down to 12.72. The purpose for this shaft was to replace an old shaft that was worn down to 12.5. It as well started at 12.8mm. I use a Q Wiz to clean the shaft once a week maybe. I've had the same Q Wiz for more than a year. There is virtually no sandpaper left on the one side. I play quite often. The shafts I've been playing with are the Jacoby hybrid edge shafts. Is this just a thing that happens with low deflection shafts? Does anyone have any knowledge or suggestions for me to prevent this from happening?

Well....You could stop using sandpaper. Use a glove when playing, that way the friction will always be the same.

Even if you can't use a glove, here is a suggetion that might help: Use wax. That way, when the shaft gets dirty, you can use a microfiber cloth and wipe the shaft clean, removing only wax and dirt. Then reapply wax as needed. The wax prevents the chalk from getting into the pores of the wood and thus needing to be sanded out.

I'm playing on the dirtiest tables ever right now, and the only thing that helps is to have the shafts waxed before play. If you go there with an unwaxed shaft it will be almost black with chalk in just a couple of hours. And I've started using a glove, not just to protect the shaft, but my hand as well. My bridgehand was so stained by chalk one week that I had to use Mechanic type hand cleaner/scrubber to get them clean again!

8ballr
08-13-2017, 02:22 PM

Stop cleaning it with sandpaper.

Double-Dave
08-13-2017, 02:50 PM
I keep hurting my head when I hit it against the wall, what should I do? Is this a common problem with walls?
Sorry that wasn't nice, but really, you use sandpaper on wood once a week and wonder why it gets thinner?

jakedp1
08-13-2017, 02:54 PM
Just Google a Q Wiz. You are getting hung up on a minor detail. Anyways for the one person who had constructive information, thank you.

Double-Dave
08-13-2017, 03:01 PM
I sell Q-wiz, have done so for a decade. It's not a minor detail.

You are using sandpaper on your shaft and that is why it's getting thinner.
If you don't want it to get thinner don't use sandpaper on your shaft.

DaveInSC
08-13-2017, 03:21 PM
I keep hurting my head when I hit it against the wall, what should I do? Is this a common problem with walls?
Sorry that wasn't nice, but really, you use sandpaper on wood once a week and wonder why it gets thinner?

OK being the noob I am... while waiting for my cue to be built I have ordered a Cue Cube Shaft Slicker. Is this thing going to eat away my shaft like the Q Wiz?

:confused:

Renegade_56
08-13-2017, 04:17 PM
never use abrasives on your cue shaft,,,,,,,,, all you need to know.

xianmacx
08-13-2017, 04:24 PM
OK being the noob I am... while waiting for my cue to be built I have ordered a Cue Cube Shaft Slicker. Is this thing going to eat away my shaft like the Q Wiz?

:confused:

Yes. Its abrasive so its removing wood and therefore making your shaft thinner. Frequency will determine how fast. The only thing I use on my shaft is a magic eraser about once a month. It does not smooth my shaft but simply cleans it. A clean shaft will slide through your hand nicely but still has imperfections.

Take any piece of wood. Is there anyway to make it smooth without removing wood?

Jon Manning
08-13-2017, 04:29 PM
never use abrasives on your cue shaft,,,,,,,,, all you need to know.

I second this!

OP, why do you sandpaper so much? If my shafts get dirty, I clean the shaft by, wiping with a damp towel, then dry towel, every once in awhile burnish with leather. Never use wax of any kind. Hope this helps.

DaveInSC
08-13-2017, 05:50 PM
Yes. Its abrasive so its removing wood and therefore making your shaft thinner. Frequency will determine how fast. The only thing I use on my shaft is a magic eraser about once a month. It does not smooth my shaft but simply cleans it. A clean shaft will slide through your hand nicely but still has imperfections.

Take any piece of wood. Is there anyway to make it smooth without removing wood?

Thanks bud. I'll take it to the pool hall and give it away. Wife keeps Magic Erasers around here.

greyghost
08-13-2017, 05:52 PM
I second this!

OP, why do you sandpaper so much? If my shafts get dirty, I clean the shaft by, wiping with a damp towel, then dry towel, every once in awhile burnish with leather. Never use wax of any kind. Hope this helps.

Pavlov's dog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ched
08-13-2017, 05:59 PM
Sort of a bit surprised that anyone on this site would ever use sandpaper.

mchnhed
08-13-2017, 06:07 PM
How about a Lathe and Sandpaper!
or a
Power Drill and Sandpaper!
Asked Just Last Week......
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?457387&p=5936338#post5936338

Jon Manning
08-13-2017, 06:10 PM
Pavlov's dog

Touché. That would be the first only reason someone would use sandpaper on a shaft, then ask why said shaft is loosing material.
I truly hope this helps the OP understand how to properly maintain cues. OP, I'm not telling you how to handle your pool equipment, and hope I'm not coming off as an ass, just trying to help.

ctyhntr
08-13-2017, 06:23 PM
Magic Erasers is also abrasive. It's essentially an ultra-fine sandpaper sponge, around 1200-2000 grit.

Thanks bud. I'll take it to the pool hall and give it away. Wife keeps Magic Erasers around here.

cubswin
08-13-2017, 06:26 PM

I do now and then, 2000 grit. Takes years before shaft is any thinner by calipers. Mostly I use a bit of alcohol and a paper towel or a magic eraser if it is really dirty.

Los Gatos Taki
08-13-2017, 06:39 PM
Try a regular, plain Magic Eraser. Not a Magic Eraser that contains petroleum products or other chemicals. Use a SLIGHTLY DAMP Magic Eraser to wipe shaft, wrap and cue butt. If you get a lot of blue on the eraser, rinse it out before continuing wiping cue. After I clean the shaft, I use a paper towel to wipe dry. Also dry wrap if exposed.
My 2nd step is to apply Carnauba wax and buff when dry. i may burnish the shaft, before waxing, to knock down any fuzz raised be the wet eraser.

greyghost
08-13-2017, 07:02 PM
Magic Erasers is also abrasive. It's essentially an ultra-fine sandpaper sponge, around 1200-2000 grit.

I don't think they are abrasive to wood, maybe uber soft plastic at least not the ines I've used

mvp
08-13-2017, 07:23 PM
I 2nd the damp magic eraser, very lightly CLEAN the shaft! While damp! Don't force it tightly, then hand dry with a micro fiber towel like a mad masturbater!!!! When completely dry, wax shaft with 100% carnauba auto wax. The mad masturbater technique works well with this also! I do this about every 60-70 hours of play or before any tournament.

ctyhntr
08-13-2017, 08:00 PM
For me it was noticeable when I used it to clean the plastic trim on It's George case. I did a quick google search and that's where I got the grit range for Magic Eraser. 1500-2000 grit is recommended for car clear coats, and one step below rubbing compound.

For periodic shaft maintenance which most people including me, I think it's perfect. Now, if you're planning to use it between every inning, then you should be aware where this product is on the abrasive grit chart.

http://www.carpaintrepairinfo.com/sandpaper-grit-car-sanding/

I don't think they are abrasive to wood, maybe uber soft plastic at least not the ines I've used

xianmacx
08-13-2017, 08:05 PM
For me it was noticeable when I used it to clean the plastic trim on It's George case. I did a quick google search and that's where I got the grit range for Magic Eraser. 1500-2000 grit is recommended for car clear coats, and one step below rubbing compound.

For periodic shaft maintenance which most people including me, I think it's perfect. Now, if you're planning to use it between every inning, then you should be aware where this product is on the abrasive grit chart.

http://www.carpaintrepairinfo.com/sandpaper-grit-car-sanding/

I have heard they are abrasive in the past as well. In my experience, I cant see any shaft material on the sponge after I wipe it down, so if it is removing any wood its so very little, it would take a long time to remove even .1 mm. Again this is my experience only. I have used a magic eraser on one shaft for about 4 years and the calipers still read the same as when new, 13.2.

Ian

Johnny Rosato
08-13-2017, 08:11 PM
I've had 6 people measure my shafts with their calipers & I've gotten 9 different answers! lol

WildWing
08-13-2017, 08:12 PM
Jesus, quit the magic eraser and sandpaper. Keep your hands clean, rub the shaft good when you play, let the natural oils clean the shaft. If you have to, run a very damp paper towel over the shaft, then rub it good. If you need more, rub it with Cue Slick, then all the cue papers, except for the white one. Blue, then green, then yellow.

Lord, the loss of wood on this forum is beyond comprehension...

All the best,
WW

ctyhntr
08-13-2017, 08:32 PM
Your usage and experience is consistent with Magic Eraser; an ultra fine sanding sponge (1,500-2,000 grit). For comparison, 0000 steel wool is around 400 grit, and green scotch brite pads are around 600.

I have heard they are abrasive in the past as well. In my experience, I cant see any shaft material on the sponge after I wipe it down, so if it is removing any wood its so very little, it would take a long time to remove even .1 mm. Again this is my experience only. I have used a magic eraser on one shaft for about 4 years and the calipers still read the same as when new, 13.2.

Ian

Tommy-D
08-13-2017, 09:08 PM
You guys do realize that the amount of wood he's removing with Q-Wiz is less than .001 over a period of 5 months right :confused:?

I'll kiss his ass in public if he can feel a difference that small :eek:.

1/10 of a millimeter is .003937 if you wanna get real accurate. 1/100 is .0003937.

You'd need a vernier micrometer to accurately measure in .0001 increments. The 0-25.4 vernier Metric micrometer I have goes down to 1/100 or .00039 so it might as well be 4 TEN THOUSANDTHS per tick mark.

Why do you think aftermarket shafts like Predator sell so well? They are MEANT to be replaced periodically.

If anyone is sweating a diameter loss that small,just have someone reseal it and add wax,problem solved :p. Tommy D.

GideonF
08-13-2017, 09:51 PM
I find that a wet microfibre cloth every few weeks followed by a dry one - and leather burnishing - is fine. I occasionally use denatured alcohol on a paper towel and maybe every 6 months use a wet magic eraser.

To respond to the question on how to smooth wood without removing it, I find burnishing with leather or a brown paper bag works fine.

I don't have an issue with waxing, but I don't find it necessary. Then again, I don't live in the Philippines or Louisiana.

WildWing
08-13-2017, 10:09 PM
1/10 of a millimeter is .003937

If anyone is sweating a diameter loss that small,just have someone reseal it and add wax,problem solved :p. Tommy D.

Actually, .003937007874 inches, for a tenth of a millimeter. But, agree with your conclusion. He shouldn't worry. However, I wouldn't do wax. I would do sanding sealer or Q Slick. Wax just screws up the shaft over time.

All the best,
WW

Renegade_56
08-14-2017, 04:16 AM

yes, yes there is,,,,,

xianmacx
08-14-2017, 04:40 AM
yes, yes there is,,,,,

Do tell, I'm interested.

Double-Dave
08-14-2017, 05:01 AM

Long term magic erasers are even worse imo.
Generally speaking 3 options:

1)

- Slighty damp microfiber cloth to wipe your cue down with every 15 minutes or so.
- Dry microfiber cloth to dry it

Beyond that there are certain other things you can do like waxing/burnishing to help your shaft stay clean better.

2)

Use a light abbravise occasionally and carefully (qwiz is fine, I use 1500 sandpaper). This will reduce your shaft diameter very slowly over time.

Can off course be combined with waxing / burnishing

3)

Do nothing to your shaft. Usually combined with wearing a glove.

slide13
08-14-2017, 05:21 AM
It's the frequency that you're doing it that is the problem I think. Personally I'm fine with my shaft going blue, so I just burnish it with a piece of brown paper bag on occasion and maybe three times a year I'll hit it with a Q-Wiz very gently. Love the Q-Wiz but absolutely realize its sandpaper and use it properly. My shaft is also waxed with bowling alley wax, so it's mostly that coming off when I Q-Wiz it.

xianmacx
08-14-2017, 05:53 AM
Long term magic erasers are even worse imo.
Generally speaking 3 options:

1)

- Slighty damp microfiber cloth to wipe your cue down with every 15 minutes or so.
- Dry microfiber cloth to dry it

Beyond that there are certain other things you can do like waxing/burnishing to help your shaft stay clean better.

2)

Use a light abbravise occasionally and carefully (qwiz is fine, I use 1500 sandpaper). This will reduce your shaft diameter very slowly over time.

Can off course be combined with waxing / burnishing

3)

Do nothing to your shaft. Usually combined with wearing a glove.

Dave, Curious on your opinion of the negative impacts of long term Magic eraser use?

Kim Bye
08-14-2017, 06:44 AM
I sell Q-wiz, have done so for a decade. It's not a minor detail.

You are using sandpaper on your shaft and that is why it's getting thinner.
If you don't want it to get thinner don't use sandpaper on your shaft.

Ding-ding we have a winner.
DD is right, there is really nothing more to say on this subject.
If you want your shafts to stay clean longer, take it to a cuemaker, have him seal, wax and burnish your shaft properly,

Kim Bye
08-14-2017, 06:45 AM
I've had 6 people measure my shafts with their calipers & I've gotten 9 different answers! lol

Use a micrometer...

ChicagoRJ
08-14-2017, 09:51 AM

3000 grit. Yuuup. But, at the 'level" I'm sure they consider it a polisher... but I'm pretty sure it takes a little off. I only pull it out every few months or so though.

DaveInSC
08-14-2017, 09:57 AM

Well on my part I guess it was ignorance and failing to read the full description in the advertising...

Note it calls the cleaning side "not abrasive" but further down refers to it as the "Abrasive cleaning side." I failed to read the full description.

That's why I joined here. Asking you guys questions will hopefully ease the noob learning curve.

"It is made of soft high quality genuine leather on one side and a cleaning pad on the other side. The gentle, not abrasive cleaning side removes the dirt and oils that accumulate on the cue from repeated use. After cleaning, the specially treated soft natural leather smoothes the shaft for a perfect stroke. This Shaft Slicker features:
2 Side Shaft Cleaner Pad- One side Leather and other side Abrasive
Abrasive cleaning side removes the dirt and oils and leather side smooths the surface on shaft
Size 5" x 3"
Lightweight, flexible and easy to use"

Agent 99
08-14-2017, 11:24 AM

Here are two real solutions that are 100% guaranteed to solve the problem.

1) Never sand your shaft and never clean your shaft with anything. Forget about the shaft looking clean, a clean shaft does nothing to help you make shots.

After enough sweat, chalk and whatever else fills in all the pours in the shaft, it will slide through your bridge hand like butter. Shaft is usually a nice shade of green, blue, and brown when it really comes into it's own.

2) Make the switch to a carbon fiber shaft. Never a need to sand - if you wipe it down after playing and put it in your case it will also stay clean as new for ever, if that is important to you.

Good luck.

Johnny Rosato
08-14-2017, 12:00 PM
What kind of walls are you using? LOL

RussPrince
08-14-2017, 12:41 PM

of course there is. hardened glass

xianmacx
08-14-2017, 01:13 PM
of course there is. hardened glass

Like burnishing the wood? Is it fair to say this is compressing the wood?

PoppaSaun
08-14-2017, 01:43 PM
Stop using calipers on your shaft. Problem solved.

0.1mm is about the same thickness as a sheet of notebook paper.

0.1mm tolerance has no place in cuesticks. Anyone who thinks 0.1mm in any part of a cuestick measurement is an idiot.

Double-Dave
08-14-2017, 01:46 PM
Dave, Curious on your opinion of the negative impacts of long term Magic eraser use?

It wears down the shaft just as much as, give or take, 2000 grit sandpaper but does so very unevenly.
Use it often and your shaft will develop small waves/ripples along the length of the shaft.

It will be fairly smooth and very clean but not even anymore.

Regards, Dave

xianmacx
08-14-2017, 05:35 PM
It wears down the shaft just as much as, give or take, 2000 grit sandpaper but does so very unevenly.
Use it often and your shaft will develop small waves/ripples along the length of the shaft.

Regards, Dave

Thanks for response Dave.

Gotcha. I would agree, I can feel slight imperfections and i bet its exactly what you say, the fibers creating grooves.

I perfer clean with imperfections, than smaller and perfectly smooth. I like to "feel" the wood when I stroke. Perfect shafts feel plastic to me.

ctyhntr
08-14-2017, 05:50 PM
Yep, at that point I bring it to someone who has a lathe. Maybe for me, once every two years or more.

Tip repair, sandpaper, QWiz, Magic Eraser and leather/suede, all have their place in my maintenance kit.

Regards, Dave

greyghost
08-14-2017, 06:35 PM
I find that a wet microfibre cloth every few weeks followed by a dry one - and leather burnishing - is fine. I occasionally use denatured alcohol on a paper towel and maybe every 6 months use a wet magic eraser.

To respond to the question on how to smooth wood without removing it, I find burnishing with leather or a brown paper bag works fine.

I don't have an issue with waxing, but I don't find it necessary. Then again, I don't live in the Philippines or Louisiana.

Yeah I just use the magic or acetone and others to clean shafts people give me. My own once sealed I just clean my hands and buff with the paper towel I dried with then hit it with some cardboard or leather. Some hadn't need retouching in a decade and still slick as a politician

RussPrince
08-15-2017, 09:56 AM
I think you guys are overestimating the cutting power of high grit paper, erasers, or the cue wiz. You would literally have to run them constantly on a lathe for an hour or longer to reduce the shaft any significant measurable amount. that equates to years of constant use by hand.

again I burnish my shafts with glass on the lathe. it seals the wood enough without any measurable change in diameter so dirt no longer penetrates the pours. i keep a cue wiz in my pocket while I play for a quick burnish when the shaft is getting "sticky" from chalk and a wet towel with me to wipe it down and keep my hands clean every now and then. have never had problems with shaft shrinkage. my wife will attest to that.

greyghost
08-15-2017, 10:26 AM
I think you guys are overestimating the cutting power of high grit paper, erasers, or the cue wiz. You would literally have to run them constantly on a lathe for an hour or longer to reduce the shaft any significant measurable amount. that equates to years of constant use by hand.

again I burnish my shafts with glass on the lathe. it seals the wood enough without any measurable change in diameter so dirt no longer penetrates the pours. i keep a cue wiz in my pocket while I play for a quick burnish when the shaft is getting "sticky" from chalk and a wet towel with me to wipe it down and keep my hands clean every now and then. have never had problems with shaft shrinkage. my wife will attest to that.

You said glass rod