PDA

View Full Version : Keith McCready

Cuebuddy
08-14-2017, 08:05 AM
Very cool to see you jumping into a tourney and playing again. Many fans have looked forward to you returning to the game. You and I are about the same age and I know what a grind it would be after sitting out for awhile. I for one hope to see you back in it now and then.

Well done Earthquake!:cool:

pt109
08-14-2017, 08:12 AM
,,,,and Keith cashed also....very impressive.
I sorta like that more than getting lucky and winning the tournament.
...showed that there's still somebody home.....
...a few more entries and he'll he might go all the way.

jimmyg
08-14-2017, 08:19 AM
Why the secretiveness?

What's up?

alstl
08-14-2017, 08:23 AM
Is archived video available?

JAM
08-14-2017, 08:24 AM
Very cool to see you jumping into a tourney and playing again. Many fans have looked forward to you returning to the game. You and I are about the same age and I know what a grind it would be after sitting out for awhile. I for one hope to see you back in it now and then.

The first day, Keith was walking on Cloud Nine, so happy to be back in the fray, so to speak. He did practice before the tournament with a friend at Bank Shot Bar and Grill in Laurel and a few other spots. He struggled with the tip on his cue, had two different ones put on, and it still wasn't "just right," as Goldilocks would say. :grin:

I know he was disappointed to not make it further in the chart than he did, but he did have a blast hanging out with the locals and seeing Earl. Earl and Keith have a unique friendship, I think. For some reason, Earl never gets upset with Keith, no matter what Keith says or does, even when they are competing against each other. Earl just smiles and laughs. I think they have a genuine respect for each other. The two of them both have pool battle scars from years gone by.

I really like the way this tournament was handled. That's a HUGE field, 128 players, and Rick and Theresa Scarlato did an excellent job handling all the logistics. The tournament ran smooth as silk. I've been to many tournaments and have seen all the horrors that can happen. The success of this event should not be taken for granted. This one was first class all the way!

Ray Hansen and Pool Action TV was excellent. I bought the stream for the entire weekend for $19.95, and that was a deal. Some of the commentary was funny, and other times, it was very informative. I especially liked Filipino backer Ariel Roy's contributions to the conversation, and Brandon Shuff was really great at the microphone. Ray's voice is also very complementary to livestreaming. He's got a great voice for it. His team consisting of Pat, Jason, and Terry also played a key role in making this livestream happen.

And then there's Earl. The cream always rises to the top, as they say. If it couldn't be Keith, I was elated to see Earl snatch the almighty win. Chalk one up for the Old School! :cool:

easy-e
08-14-2017, 08:28 AM
Why the secretiveness?

What's up?

What do you mean???

jimmyg
08-14-2017, 08:32 AM
What do you mean???

Was totally unaware that Keith was entered in a tournament. Surprised.

JAM
08-14-2017, 08:33 AM
Why the secretiveness?

What's up?

There was a 2-day Maryland State 10-Ball Championship this past weekend, August 12 and 13, 2017. Veteran players Earl, Keith, and Billy Stephen were the house, along with other Young Guns Brandon Shuff, Shaun Wilkie, Ryan McCreesh, Eddie Abraham, Bucky S. from NY (can't remember how to spell his name), Mike Davis, and a host of Maryland bar table champs.

Keith won all his matches the first day. Day 2, he didn't have the same stamina and lost two in a row. He actually said to me when he left home on Day 2 to go to the event that he was feeling good about his game, that he was shooting about 80 percent of what he used to 10 years ago, which ain't too shabby. :cool:

easy-e
08-14-2017, 08:34 AM

I thought it was pretty well-known. It's been posted on here and Facebook for weeks. I am also glad that he is playing again.:thumbup:

one stroke
08-14-2017, 08:35 AM

It's been known for quite sometime ,,

chefjeff
08-14-2017, 08:44 AM
Why the secretiveness?

What's up?

Be verwy verwy quiet.....we're hunting wurssians.

Jeff Livingston

jimmyg
08-14-2017, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post

one stroke
Quote: It's been known for quite sometime ,,

easy-e
Quote: I thought it was pretty well-known. It's been posted on here and Facebook for weeks. I am also glad that he is playing again.

There was a 2-day Maryland State 10-Ball Championship this past weekend, August 12 and 13, 2017. Veteran players Earl, Keith, and Billy Stephen were the house, along with other Young Guns Brandon Shuff, Shaun Wilkie, Ryan McCreesh, Eddie Abraham, Bucky S. from NY (can't remember how to spell his name), Mike Davis, and a host of Maryland bar table champs.

Keith won all his matches the first day. Day 2, he didn't have the same stamina and lost two in a row. He actually said to me when he left home on Day 2 to go to the event that he was feeling good about his game, that he was shooting about 80 percent of what he used to 10 years ago, which ain't too shabby. :cool:

Thanks JAM, you're always a pleasure. Hope that Keith enjoyed himself enough to continue. He's always the "house" favorite. :thumbup:

Wonder if it was just me, or did a lot of people miss this...especially those, like me, who avoid Facebook like the plague.

pt109
08-14-2017, 08:45 AM
Why the secretiveness?

What's up?

I'm sorry, sir....gonna have to write you up....

Could I see your AZB license, please/

JAM
08-14-2017, 08:50 AM
Thanks JAM, you're always a pleasure. Hope that Keith enjoyed himself enough to continue. He's always the "house" favorite. :thumbup:

Wonder if it was just me, or did a lot of people miss this...especially those, like me, who avoid Facebook like the plague.

Ah, no harm, no foul. I should have posted more about it here. I haven't been posting a lot on AzBilliards for a while. I must admit that I'm now a Facebook convert. Never thought I would be. I avoided it like the plague for a long time, but then I discovered all the rich pool content on Facebook. There are no unidentified trolls, and your Facebook is moderated by you. If you don't like something, you just delete it. Truth be told, though, all the pool peeps I have met are very polite and nice.

I love reading about the international pool affairs and the pool news. All the pros have FB pages, and they share photos and snippets of happenings they go to. Shane VanBoening shares a lot of his pool journey with everyone. I like him so much now after learning more about him as a person.

Anyway, give FB a chance. You will find many of the folks who aren't here as much as they used to be are over there now. It's fun, kind of like AzBilliards is but bigger. :cool:

jimmyg
08-14-2017, 08:51 AM
I'm sorry, sir....gonna have to write you up....

Could I see your AZB license, please/

LOL....

I plead, "ignorance of the law"...

I would have thought that there would have been a thread, or two, titled "McCready's Back"...or something like that...again, if there was, I missed it too...uh oh, not another citation.

West Point 1987
08-14-2017, 08:54 AM
I was standing with Keith shooting the breeze when the doors opened...he bummed some baby powder off me and never looked back. His wrist isn't quite as cocked as it used to me, but his stroke is still silky smooth and pinpoint accurate. He never struggled in any of his matches, even against a couple of top locals. Someone asked him about how fast he was shooting (he just sort of fell in on the shots and rifled 'em in), and he answered something like, "It ain't rocket science..."

I really hope to see him in some more tourneys...at least until he moves out West (if that's still in the cards). It was nice to see him play in person!

Cuebuddy
08-14-2017, 09:35 AM
It's not all about Keith:) I have a feeling it means as much to Jennie as Keith. Jennie's history and knowledge of the game and the characters who immerse themselves in it is equaled by few.

ChicagoRJ
08-14-2017, 10:08 AM
And then there's Earl. The cream always rises to the top, as they say. If it couldn't be Keith, I was elated to see Earl snatch the almighty win. Chalk one up for the Old School! :cool:

Not bad for an old timer... errr, wait, he's my age. Nice going young feller ;)

Dead Money
08-14-2017, 03:27 PM

Well said!

It was like a nightmare wasn't it!!:D

9andout
08-14-2017, 05:38 PM
Ah, no harm, no foul. I should have posted more about it here. I haven't been posting a lot on AzBilliards for a while. I must admit that I'm now a Facebook convert. Never thought I would be. I avoided it like the plague for a long time, but then I discovered all the rich pool content on Facebook. There are no unidentified trolls, and your Facebook is moderated by you. If you don't like something, you just delete it. Truth be told, though, all the pool peeps I have met are very polite and nice.

I love reading about the international pool affairs and the pool news. All the pros have FB pages, and they share photos and snippets of happenings they go to. Shane VanBoening shares a lot of his pool journey with everyone. I like him so much now after learning more about him as a person.

Anyway, give FB a chance. You will find many of the folks who aren't here as much as they used to be are over there now. It's fun, kind of like AzBilliards is but bigger. :cool:
You did fine.
It was HARD not to know Keith was playing. I saw it on AZB first.

The Chipsta
08-14-2017, 06:07 PM
I was lucky enough to play a match with Keith, and also sit and talk with him for about 20 minutes in the back. Great to see him again after all this time. I now own the official Keith McCready shirt, autographed in person, and a signed picture that will go in the mancave. Memory of a lifetime. Made my family watch The Color of Money when I got home! Looking forward to him playing the 8-ball event in November.

one stroke
08-14-2017, 06:30 PM
I was lucky enough to play a match with Keith, and also sit and talk with him for about 20 minutes in the back. Great to see him again after all this time. I now own the official Keith McCready shirt, autographed in person, and a signed picture that will go in the mancave. Memory of a lifetime. Made my family watch The Color of Money when I got home! Looking forward to him playing the 8-ball event in November.

Whats funny about that movie is it really doesn't come close showing Kieths true personality and as good as the movie was if they let Kieth be him he would have stole the show , no one bar none has ever been more entertaining than he is around a pool table ,, they talk now about Connor McGreggor being the best talker next to Ali , I'm here to say Kieth gives the world the 8 in that department he's as witty as he ever was I loved every minute of it , and he may not be the best out there but no one bar none walks around a table with the grace he does , he still has a lot left in the tank I hope we see more

Black-Balled
08-14-2017, 06:58 PM
I have seen the man shoot a lot of shots and the thing that really sticks out to me?

I have never seen him stumped.

pt109
08-14-2017, 08:05 PM
Western singers sang about life experiences. Loretta Lynn WAS a coal miners daughter from a dirt floor shack. Look at the books by, Doyle, Deliberto,B.Hall, etc.Never again will people have such true & colorful life histories. People aren't that different & unique now

comments...JR Mitchell

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjz9bbjn9jVAhVk2IMKHWcWCIcQuAIIKTAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DdX ECHvT86jw&usg=AFQjCNHi1ni6bTTe_P6JKMJ_uU0fy8OWGw

JAM
08-15-2017, 12:41 AM
Western singers sang about life experiences. Loretta Lynn WAS a coal miners daughter from a dirt floor shack. Look at the books by, Doyle, Deliberto,B.Hall, etc.Never again will people have such true & colorful life histories. People aren't that different & unique now

comments...JR Mitchell

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjz9bbjn9jVAhVk2IMKHWcWCIcQuAIIKTAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DdX ECHvT86jw&usg=AFQjCNHi1ni6bTTe_P6JKMJ_uU0fy8OWGw

This is the BEST match ever. Hill-hill with Buddy and Kim commentating. I like it when Buddy says something about "I'd go ahead and stretch a little. I'd hit this with my right duke," and Kim says, "Well, he can't hold no rug nowhere." :grin-square:

The story behind this match is that Keith was getting backed by Buddy in this tournament, as Keith was a little on the shortskies. Buddy had faith in Keith's playing capability. Paez, though, was a strong competitor, and this one could have gone either way, as you can see if you watch it.

Keith was a hoot. I only wish there were more videos of Keith shooting, but the digital age was just beginning, and there weren't too many videos of the players back in this era.

cardiac kid
08-15-2017, 04:56 AM
Jen,

Is there any Keith would play in the one pocket event in Philadelphia if it's held again? Would love to watch him play. I'd travel for that!

We have a $2000 added Joss Tour event at East Ridge Billiards in Rochester on February 24 and 25. Would love to have you and Keith attend. Don't know where Bosco (Boris) is so I doubt a rematch will happen :grin: .

Incidentally, the black shirt fits fine. Took it to Vegas. Still have the blue one here. Thanks.

Lyn

JAM
08-15-2017, 05:04 AM
Jen,

Is there any Keith would play in the one pocket event in Philadelphia if it's held again? Would love to watch him play. I'd travel for that!

We have a $2000 added Joss Tour event at East Ridge Billiards in Rochester on February 24 and 25. Would love to have you and Keith attend. Don't know where Bosco (Boris) is so I doubt a rematch will happen :grin: .

Incidentally, the black shirt fits fine. Took it to Vegas. Still have the blue one here. Thanks.

Lyn

That sounds great about the T-shirts. :cool:

I think Keith would prefer one-pocket, so that tournament may be a good one for us to go to. It is not too far from us, either, which is great.

I think Keith would like to go to a few more tournaments in the coming months, so thanks for sharing the date.

Keith said his stamina needs to improve, so he wants to work on that before his next tournament. Getting up at 8 a.m. after being up until 2 a.m. the night before, it's hard to play your best game in the autumn of one's life. :p

Black-Balled
08-15-2017, 05:39 AM
Improved stamina...I got a big yard and a small mower. Bring him over.

Tony_in_MD
08-15-2017, 06:13 AM
Wish I could have been there to see Keith play. I last saw him play @ the US Open in the mid 90's (I think). In fact we had breakfast together there one morning, you may not remember but we had a nice chat.

Win or lose he is entertaining to watch for sure.

I get the stamina thing well. I discovered that at this years SBE after being out of the tourney scene myself for a long time. Going to the gym now but of course I aggravated an achilles tendon and have been in a boot for 2 weeks.

Maybe I should stay fat, dumb and happy (on my couch).

Give my best regards to Keith. Hoping he gets all the rolls.

AJM

That sounds great about the T-shirts. :cool:

I think Keith would prefer one-pocket, so that tournament may be a good one for us to go to. It is not too far from us, either, which is great.

I think Keith would like to go to a few more tournaments in the coming months, so thanks for sharing the date.

Keith said his stamina needs to improve, so he wants to work on that before his next tournament. Getting up at 8 a.m. after being up until 2 a.m. the night before, it's hard to play your best game in the autumn of one's life. :p

barrymuch90
08-15-2017, 06:24 AM
Let me start out by saying I'm a huge KM fan and have been since I first saw him at the super billiards expo about 15 years ago. I was about 12-14. It was my first expo and I distinctly remember seeing a nice crowd watching a match. I walked over and saw Keith at his best playing 9 ball while drinking beers the whole time. I remember thinking this guy is crazy lol he was loud and annimated,moving around constantly, cracking some hilarious one liners and using tons of body English and it truly was fun to watch. However, please don't take this the wrong way(fingers crossed), I bought the stream of the Md tournament last weekend on the final day and was watching on and off while doing other things and I finally sat down to watch a match and as I turn up the volume I hear what I assume to be an old super drunk guy. After awhile I figured out it was Keith and idk how he usually sounds on a mic doing commentary but man I could barely understand him lol. anyway it was great to see Keith playing again and I hope in the future he plays in more tournaments. Especially the philly one pocket tournament considering its within an hour from me so I'd absolutely go see it live.

West Point 1987
08-15-2017, 09:05 AM
I followed him around most of the day on Saturday until well past midnight, and never saw him drink anything...wasn't there Sunday morning, so can't say, but his verbal delivery is very unique, kind of a loud drawl/mumble; and I could see why on the air one might assume something--but I doubt it was intoxication.

Black-Balled
08-15-2017, 09:42 AM
Remember the JFK/ Nixon debates?

Those who listened on radio believed Nixon won.

Those who watched on tv believed JFK won.

chefjeff
08-15-2017, 09:44 AM
Remember the JFK/ Nixon debates?

Those who listened on radio believed Nixon won.

Those who watched on tv believed JFK won.

Ooops, EDIT and DELETE post....not wanting to crap on this thread.

Sorry,

Jeff Livingston

Black-Balled
08-15-2017, 09:49 AM
Ooops, EDIT and DELETE post....not wanting to crap on this thread.

Sorry,

Jeff Livingston

It is ok, Jeff. I wasn't even borned when either of those ruled. I am just typing words.