PDA

View Full Version : New OB-1+ Shaft...not smooth like glass

DJSTEVEZ
08-14-2017, 02:34 PM
So I received my new OB-1+ shaft today...

To put this in context, I've been playing with a 12.75 mm Lucasi Hybrid for the last few years. I like the physical feel of their shafts going/gliding through my bridge hand. They're super smooth, like glass.

As I said I received my new OB today (12.75 mm). I found the texture to be profoundly not smooth. I wouldn't go so far as to call it rough, but definitely not smooth. Yes, I had washed my hands. The shaft also seemed pretty thick for 12.75 mm. The OB shaft I purchased features the "Modified Pro Taper" (as opposed to the Conical taper).

Am I missing something here? I'm more than a little surprised. Maybe they leave their shafts "unpolished" or otherwise not waxed & sealed so a player can fix it up the way he/she likes it? Maybe I got that 1 in 10,000 cue shaft that got out of the OB factory this way?

Please, someone shed some light on this for me...please.

Superiorduper
08-14-2017, 03:49 PM
The 30" OB 1+ I ordered from seyberts was like that. I sealed, waxed, and polished it and it was perfect. I don't know why they come like that but it seems common

garczar
08-14-2017, 03:49 PM

To put this in context, I've been playing with a 12.75 mm Lucasi Hybrid for the last few years. I like the physical feel of their shafts going/gliding through my bridge hand. They're super smooth, like glass.

As I said I received my new OB today (12.75 mm). I found the texture to be profoundly not smooth. I wouldn't go so far as to call it rough, but definitely not smooth. Yes, I had washed my hands. The shaft also seemed pretty thick for 12.75 mm. The OB shaft I purchased features the "Modified Pro Taper" (as opposed to the Conical taper).

Am I missing something here? I'm more than a little surprised. Maybe they leave their shafts "unpolished" or otherwise not waxed & sealed so a player can fix it up the way he/she likes it? Maybe I got that 1 in 10,000 cue shaft that got out of the OB factory this way?

I had a Classic+ that was fine. Being a laminated shaft they aren't as "glassy" as a solid shaft but mine was more than smooth enough for me. OB has great CS so i'd contact them if you're not liking it.

Straightpool_99
08-14-2017, 03:53 PM

What do you mean "..seemed pretty thick for 12.75 mm.."? It either is 12.75, or it isn't. Or do you mean that the taper is more conical than straight?

The solution to your "problem" is pretty easy: Go over the shaft with a 1200 grit piece of sandpaper. Then use McDermott cue papers. Use hard wax, then burnish with leather. Your shaft will be so smooth, you wont' believe it. Since you allready think the shaft is too thick, knocking a minute fraction off the thickness shouldn't worry you. In fact doing this once shouldn't worry anybody.

cuesblues
08-14-2017, 03:58 PM
OB does not put a lot of finish on their shafts & partials.

I don't think OB really finishes their shafts like some of the imported stuff, and some cuemakers.
Not that it's a good or bad thing. but I don't remember seeing smooth finishes on any of the OB shafts & partials I have sold or worked on.

OB is pretty good about warranty replacements.
Shane is here on AZ and I'm sure he will read this.
Hopefully Shane will come on and explain what happened, and it would be cool to see him handle it for you if it really does need to be returned.

DJSTEVEZ
08-14-2017, 06:20 PM
Don't get me wrong,

I'm not knocking OB or saying they did anything wrong. If OB has a different way of doing things, then they have a different way of doing things. It's just the shaft finish is not what I've grown accustom to the way I have from my current cue manufacturer (in this case, Lucasi). It's just that I didn't understand why there was a difference. You guys did an awesome job explaining it to me. I'll probably go see Mr. Drexler and have him remedy the finish...unless the folks at OB offer to do that for me ;).

Thanx for all the great responses gang. I'll let you know how things turn out. -Z-

Coop1701
08-15-2017, 05:04 AM
I have had 2 Ob Pro Shafts and 1 OB 2 Shaft that came with my RB-1. They are all like that. I use a glove so it doesn't really bother me at all.