View Full Version : OD of butt question, primarily Schon & Joss

Shooter1
08-15-2017, 06:38 AM
Palmer 1.240"
Schon 1.220"
Huebler 1.210
Mali 1.290"
Brunswick Willie Hoppe 1.290"

The above are dimensions taken from cues I own, right where the linen wrap meets the bottom wood portion of the cue near the bumper. I am looking at buying another cue to use as a "bar player".
The OD on the Palmer, Schon and Huebler are close enough to where they all feel fine in my hand but the Mali and Willie Hoppe is much bigger than I like.
I know cue manufacturers vary in the butt OD dimensions but I'm wondering where Joss falls in here. Would the Joss dimensions be comparable to the Palmer/Schon/Huebler?
I don't want to buy a Joss and get a club like the Mali bit don't want any that falls under the Huebler.
Can a few Joss guys post the od of their butts at the location noted above so I can get a feel for what size they are?
Thanks,

garczar
08-15-2017, 07:07 AM
Palmer 1.240"
Schon 1.220"
Huebler 1.210
Mali 1.290"
Brunswick Willie Hoppe 1.290"

The above are dimensions taken from cues I own, right where the linen wrap meets the bottom wood portion of the cue near the bumper. I am looking at buying another cue to use as a "bar player".
The OD on the Palmer, Schon and Huebler are close enough to where they all feel fine in my hand but the Mali and Willie Hoppe is much bigger than I like.
I know cue manufacturers vary in the butt OD dimensions but I'm wondering where Joss falls in here. Would the Joss dimensions be comparable to the Palmer/Schon/Huebler?
I don't want to buy a Joss and get a club like the Mali bit don't want any that falls under the Huebler.
Can a few Joss guys post the od of their butts at the location noted above so I can get a feel for what size they are?
Thanks,Depends on which JOSS and how old. A lot of the JW's tend to be 1.23"+. Older JOSS's(Janes) were larger than the newer ones. I had a JOSS(east) that was made in '03 and it was right at 1.23 which is as big a cue as i like.

Kevin Lindstrom
08-15-2017, 10:16 AM
I too like the thinner handles. I have all of my cues made thinner.

Kevin

Chopdoc
08-15-2017, 10:20 AM
Thanks,

Why not contact Joss and order what you want?

Why buy "off the shelf"?

garczar
08-15-2017, 10:28 AM
I too like the thinner handles. I have all of my cues made thinner.

KevinSame here. All i use now is 1.20-1.22". Due to a car wreck my right-hand isn't 100% and the bigger butt sizes just feel huge to me. I hit an older Gilbert recently(1.27") and it felt like a baseball bat in my hand.

woodyosborne
08-15-2017, 01:32 PM
Schon r10 1.22
early full splice joss 1.22
brunswick hoppe big fat 1.31
pre numbers joss 1.22

Shooter1
08-16-2017, 05:38 AM
Thanks Woody, that info helps). It appears that if I buy something that is relatively new, (I plan to buy a used cue or maybe NOS), I may be OK. Worth taking a chance on anyway.

bethigh85
09-08-2017, 09:42 AM
Are you looking for an original pre cat 314 shaft in excellent condition for a schön? Please find Benjamin Sutherland on Facebook aka Benny Breaks or text 602.810.3931