PDA

View Full Version : Best "SOFT" layered tip

Rackattach
08-15-2017, 06:42 AM
Price aside what's the best SOFT layered tip?

Looking for :
1 very soft hit
2 low maintenance
3 good chalk adhesion

Don't like precision, or wizard, they hit too hard.

What's out there?

Victory Soft?
Navigator SX or S?
G2 Soft?

hang-the-9
08-15-2017, 06:48 AM
Thy only soft tip I tried that stayed soft for a while was not layered, it was the Ki-Tech tip from Outsville. When mine was installed, it never mushroomed or needed to be shaped. You need an installer that knows what they are doing, I had one installed by Mike Webb and it was perfect, another was done by someone else and it had to be fixed since it was ragged on the edges and did not hold the shape.

The Kamui Black soft has a great hit and grip but it hardens in a matter of months, well before you need to replace it due to wear.

bbb
08-15-2017, 07:00 AM
..............g2

garczar
08-15-2017, 07:01 AM
Thy only soft tip I tried that stayed soft for a while was not layered, it was the Ki-Tech tip from Outsville. When mine was installed, it never mushroomed or needed to be shaped. You need an installer that knows what they are doing, I had one installed by Mike Webb and it was perfect, another was done by someone else and it had to be fixed since it was ragged on the edges and did not hold the shape.

The Kamui Black soft has a great hit and grip but it hardens in a matter of months, well before you need to replace it due to wear.I'd try the Ultraskin softs: soft, super and pro. I've hit the soft and prefer the medium but its close. At 3bux apiece you're not out much trying all three flavors. Great tips at a helluva price.

Tooler
08-15-2017, 07:51 AM
Ki Tech soft ...... forget the layers.

Tony_in_MD
08-15-2017, 08:30 AM
I like ultra-skin softs myself.

My other go to tip is a pressed elkmaster.

HawaiianEye
08-15-2017, 08:42 AM
..............g2

I'm seconding the G2 Soft.

mchnhed
08-15-2017, 08:49 AM
Ki Tech soft ...... forget the layers.
I can't find these Ki Tech Tips on eBay.
And.... why are they so expensive for a one piece?

mchnhed
08-15-2017, 08:52 AM
Are these Porper Ram Tips good for doing the Ram Shot?
Any Opinions?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Porper-Ram-Soft-Pool-Cue-Tips-Quantity-10-Soft-Tips-/122650281210?hash=item1c8e86c4fa:g:ej0AAOxyRNJSdED K

TILT9
08-15-2017, 10:09 AM
The Kamui Black soft has a great hit and grip but it hardens in a matter of months, well before you need to replace it.

that's it exactly , I ve tried various soft tips and they harden almost right away!??
what's the phenomenon that causes this?

Kevin Lindstrom
08-15-2017, 10:10 AM
subscribed for future reference.

Kevin

hang-the-9
08-15-2017, 10:17 AM
that's it exactly , I ve tried various soft tips and they harden almost right away!??

I'd guess compression of the material over time, possibly combined with the glue layers in a layered tip. Only tip I have ever tried that resisted this for a good deal of time was the Ki-Tech Soft. I would think that the process or cutting small layers and gluing them together would right there prevent a tip from being too soft or staying soft. How can you glue layers together and still stay soft without compression of the layers?

Michael Webb
08-15-2017, 10:18 AM

The Kamui Black soft has a great hit and grip but it hardens in a matter of months, well before you need to replace it due to wear.

Next time you buy the Ki tech soft. Buy some extra. I'll take them to try. We use the measle cue ball here. I get 3 weeks max out of the other layered tips. The weight of the ball hardens them quick.
Thank you in advance.

mchnhed
08-15-2017, 10:20 AM
I'd guess compression of the material over time, possibly combined with the glue layers in a layered tip. Only tip I have ever tried that resisted this for a good deal of time was the Ki-Tech Soft. I would think that the process or cutting small layers and gluing them together would right there prevent a tip from being too soft or staying soft. How can you glue layers together and still stay soft without compression of the layers?
Where can I get these Ketech tips?
I looked on eBay.
and why are they so expensive for a single layer tip?

Are they better than Porper's Ram Tips?
They only cost $1.10
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?campid=5335988529&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F10-Porper-Ram-Soft-Pool-Cue-Tips-Quantity-10-Soft-Tips-%2F122650281210%3Fhash%3Ditem1c8e86c4fa%3Ag%3Aej0A AOxyRNJSdEDK

gregnice37
08-15-2017, 10:30 AM
Where can I get these Ketech tips?
I looked on eBay.
and why are they so expensive for a single layer tip?

Are they better than Porper's Ram Tips?
They only cost $1.10
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?campid=5335988529&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F10-Porper-Ram-Soft-Pool-Cue-Tips-Quantity-10-Soft-Tips-%2F122650281210%3Fhash%3Ditem1c8e86c4fa%3Ag%3Aej0A AOxyRNJSdEDK

Outsville.com & read about them

TATE
08-15-2017, 10:52 AM
I'm playing with the Ultraskin soft - mushy at first but perfect once broken in - love it!

cbi1000
08-15-2017, 10:56 AM
1st, very soft and low maintenance, lol. NO SUCH THING. Soft tips, no matter who makes them, will mushroom at some point. It's the nature.

Milk Dud tips seems to hold up well and play soft too. But usually, like all soft tips, will require probably 1 trip up after a couple weeks of play.

cuesblues
08-15-2017, 11:42 AM
I deal with a lot of tips, I hear & read all the complaints and I try to figure out how different durometer tip feel with various ferrule material etc and the personally the only tip I use that has an 'S' on it is Kamui.
I'm liking the Searing Precision mediums overall and there isn't a big spread on the durometers between soft medium and hard.

I try to use the hardest tip I can and still be able to draw the ball, and so there isn't too hard of a feel.
Some hard tips are just awful.

gutshot
08-15-2017, 05:27 PM
How are you measuring the durometer values?
What Shore test are you using and are you doing it by hand or with a test stand? If you aren't using a good Shore D durometer with a test stand, you values will vary wildly and not give very accurate results.

I deal with a lot of tips, I hear & read all the complaints and I try to figure out how different durometer tip feel with various ferrule material etc and the personally the only tip I use that has an 'S' on it is Kamui.
I'm liking the Searing Precision mediums overall and there isn't a big spread on the durometers between soft medium and hard.

I try to use the hardest tip I can and still be able to draw the ball, and so there isn't too hard of a feel.
Some hard tips are just awful.

philly
08-15-2017, 05:42 PM
I've finally come around to thinking these layered tips are a marketing gimmick especially the soft ones. $40 for a tip and the time and maintenence involved? No thanks. The longer I play this game the more old school I get. Keep it simple stupid. KISS. I have come around to hard pressed Triangles. A buck apiece and they require little to no maintenence. I shape my tips once every other month of play and sometimes only do it because I haven't done it in a while. I get great action off of them with terrific feedback.

cuesblues
08-15-2017, 05:43 PM
How are you measuring the durometer values?
What Shore test are you using and are you doing it by hand or with a test stand? If you aren't using a good Shore D durometer with a test stand, you values will vary wildly and not give very accurate results.

I'm just using a little Shore D digital for $60 on eBay.
Testing by hand works fine for what I'm doing.
If I was selling tips based on the actual test vs. manufacturer, then I would get more sophisticated.

For instance years ago someone gave me a box of 15mm Lepro tips.
We started testing them and most test close to 80, which is great for a Lepro.
People love these, but I don't use Lepro period, I've been giving them away to my local tip-ferrule installer roommate.

one stroke
08-15-2017, 05:56 PM
Kumui super soft clear , is by far and away the best tip I've played with bar none had it for over a yr now it's got a tad harder which I like never re shaped picked it a couple times more habit than anything there , I'll never change unless they change the tip

gutshot
08-15-2017, 07:45 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Kamui SS quality has fallen off. A friend had to have Joe Blackburn cut off a new SS at BCA Vegas because it was hard. The last few tips he's gotten have been hard.
I tested a couple brand new SS and they tested as hard as a medium. They used to be such a great tip, but they changed something and they are not nearly as good as they used to be. I've heard from several cuemakers that install hundreds of Kamui's and they've all said the same thing.

Kumui super soft clear , is by far and away the best tip I've played with bar none had it for over a yr now it's got a tad harder which I like never re shaped picked it a couple times more habit than anything there , I'll never change unless they change the tip

one stroke
08-15-2017, 08:25 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Kamui SS quality has fallen off. A friend had to have Joe Blackburn cut off a new SS at BCA Vegas because it was hard. The last few tips he's gotten have been hard.
I tested a couple brand new SS and they tested as hard as a medium. They used to be such a great tip, but they changed something and they are not nearly as good as they used to be. I've heard from several cuemakers that install hundreds of Kamui's and they've all said the same thing.

Well the only true test I'll ever believe is by playing with one Iv yet to hear anything other than it's the best tip I've played with by countless people so I'll have to wait and see when I need a new tip but that's a long ways off

mr3cushion
08-16-2017, 01:34 AM
G2 soft tip is best I've used since old moori tips.

hang-the-9
08-16-2017, 06:47 AM
1st, very soft and low maintenance, lol. NO SUCH THING. Soft tips, no matter who makes them, will mushroom at some point. It's the nature.

Milk Dud tips seems to hold up well and play soft too. But usually, like all soft tips, will require probably 1 trip up after a couple weeks of play.

The Ki-Tech soft I put on has not mushroomed at all in months of use. It's actually fairly hard now and I don't use the shaft it was on anymore, but it has never mushroomed. Only time I touched it was to rough up the tip a bit a couple of times. It also stayed soft three times longer than any of the three Kamui Black Soft tips I used. It's why I recommend those tips, but I do have to say the installer is also a big part of what happens to the tip once it's put on.

joelpope
08-16-2017, 06:49 AM
no doubt in my mind what the best tip on the market is, Dennis Searing has taken his obsession for precision and excellence into the manufacturing of layered cue tips.

he offers a money back guarantee on multiple tip orders. he offers level of consistency and quality that simply does not exist in other layered tips

these tips will ruin you for life, at least that have done that to me. they have a feel and create an action on the cue ball that is hard to describe

http://precisiontip.com

Joel

RCnotcola
08-19-2017, 07:22 PM
I play with the g2 soft. I love it! It covers the 3 things your looking for. I used to play with the Kamui black soft and I found that the g2 soft is better for me. the Kamui would harden and glaze over too quickly and wouldn't hold its shape as well which required more maintenance.

Tom1234
08-23-2017, 02:05 PM
My worst fears have been confirmed. The last 3 Kamui SS I installed all felt like the Kamui medium I had installed the day before! I let a couple of friends hit my McDermott with a Triangle on it and couldn't tell the difference between it and a SS. What has happened to Kamui QC?

Awizzzy
08-24-2017, 04:12 AM
G2 Soft = Best tip I've played so far.

Poolboss1030
08-24-2017, 06:27 AM
Kamui black clear soft is the best

Rackattach
08-24-2017, 06:31 AM
The kamui Tips absolutely suck.
The navigator were ok at best.

G2 is still the front runner

The thoroughbred is new to me I'm testing it now

The wizard Soft is excellent but plays to a medium/hard feel

mchnhed
08-24-2017, 06:31 AM
Porper composite soft are the best.
They never need trimming and they last forever.

Coop1701
08-24-2017, 07:21 AM
I have user Kamui for awhile. They worked really well on my OB shafts. They can be rough on normal tips and mushroom easily.

However after reading some info..., I tried a Cyborg Tip. I have feel in love with this test. Over 3 months I have used it and it works really well. Chalk stays on it. You should give it a try.

Texas Carom Club
08-24-2017, 07:23 AM
No best anything,
I love moori softs and just got 2 ultraskin very softs I will be trying today

mchnhed
08-24-2017, 08:59 AM
No best anything.
"Better than others", then.
We all know how that feels.

buckets
08-24-2017, 09:18 AM

Natural compression from hitting balls.

Unavoidable.

I gave up on soft tips a long time ago because they're always medium-hard within a month.

Bca8ball
08-24-2017, 09:49 AM
Obviously the "best" of anything is subjective and tips are no exception.

I went on a Soft Tip hunt myself when I converted to the Revo shafts. Coming off the Z2 and Z3 shafts and Med tips, the Revo is considerably stiffer.
I've installed tips for years and had a wide range of choices to pick from. With two shafts I literally installed two tips at a time and compared them at full height and half heights.
Considering I play 3 leagues a week, weekend tournaments twice a month and can easily get 6 months on a tip, the cost of a tip wasn't a concern or factor. That said, if I'm dropping $20+ on a tip there needs to be an advantage/reason for doing so and I'm just not seeing it these days.
I settled on Tom Hay's UltraSkin VS (Very Soft) tip. In an attempt to describe it: It starts slightly softer than Moori S, Royal Oak S, Talisman Pro S, Kamui SS, Black Jack MS, and Moldavia S:
It settles in where the Kamui S starts and seems to hold there long enough for me.
All soft tips are going to get compressed and harder over time; there's simply nothing you can do about it. You can help prolong the enviable by never breaking with your soft tip but it will compress with normal use as well.

mchnhed
08-24-2017, 09:59 AM
I went on a Soft Tip hunt myself.
All soft tips are going to get compressed and harder over time.
There's simply nothing you can do about it.
It will compress with normal use as well.
What about these "indestructible" "composite" Ram Tips from Porper?
http://www.muellers.com/Porper-Indestructible-Ram-Tip,5846.html
I wonder what materials are used?
Is it all synthetic?
I'm going to order a couple to try.
At $1.45 why not?

PS: I wonder if those Ram tips would be good for doing the World Famous "Ram Shot"?

Ram Shot
See Page 19 of "A Beginner's Guide to Playing 8 Ball"
https://issuu.com/poolkillers81/docs/a_beginner_s_guide_to_8_ball_pool

Ram Shot Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kkjopqJhZE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJe9AhiySnE
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W5nu11AMZXY

Discussions
http://forums.azbilliards.com/archiv.../t-340400.html
https://issuu.com/poolkillers81/docs...to_8_ball_pool
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=454714

Ched
08-24-2017, 02:55 PM
many I haven't tried listed in this thread - but, of the (soft) ones I've tried I like the G2 over the Kamui.

Johnny Rosato
08-24-2017, 04:22 PM
Elkmaster. One, thick layer with NO glue. Been around for years!

Texas Carom Club
08-24-2017, 04:45 PM
The vs ultraskin is no where near soft as the moori soft
Not even close but I understand it's all hit and miss, been shown variable hardness of many of the same batch of tip by the durometer

Bca8ball
08-25-2017, 10:33 AM
The vs ultraskin is no where near soft as the moori soft
Not even close but I understand it's all hit and miss, been shown variable hardness of many of the same batch of tip by the durometer

Not sure how you came to that conclusion as the Moori Soft is listed at 64 while I'm getting 61/62 on the VS UltraSkin; not that the difference means much but certainly doesn't qualify as the "not even close" you state.
I have a few of both and numbers are pretty consistent on my Shore D.

Regardless, my intention on the post was more towards the hardness after natural play compression.

Texas Carom Club
08-25-2017, 10:43 AM
Not sure how you came to that conclusion as the Moori Soft is listed at 64 while I'm getting 61/62 on the VS UltraSkin; not that the difference means much but certainly doesn't qualify as the "not even close" you state.
I have a few of both and numbers are pretty consistent on my Shore D.

Regardless, my intention on the post was more towards the hardness after natural play compression.

no worries, i dont have a durometer, but i will take pics of them with each tips when i have someone around that does

i have a basically unplayed moori soft and 2 unused vs ultraskin

i came to that conclusion by putting one ultraskin on last night and hitting balls with it
definetly harder than the moori soft that's on my other cue

that may be what they are rated at, but i doubt they take the time to measure every single piece that leaves the factory

Bca8ball
08-25-2017, 11:15 AM
I was a huge Moori fan, used nothing else.... 15 years ago; not the same these days.

Pleinairrider
08-28-2017, 05:30 PM
no doubt in my mind what the best tip on the market is, Dennis Searing ......

http://precisiontip.com

Joel

Joel still shooting at Backstage?

one stroke
08-28-2017, 07:29 PM
Well when my now over a yr SS kumui clear fails me I might try something else but to date best tip I have ever had my ultra skin on my other cue doesn't hold s candle to it

Coop1701
08-29-2017, 05:02 AM
I was a huge Moori fan, used nothing else.... 15 years ago; not the same these days.

Same here.. I loved those. Certainly not the same.