PDA

View Full Version : Revo shaft- plug and redrill?

bob b.
08-15-2017, 10:36 AM
Has anyone successfully plugged and redrilled a Revo shaft? Is it like a NORMAL shaft inside joint end?

I realize it will void the warranty. I need a 3/8x11....:)

greyghost
08-15-2017, 10:41 AM
Not many exploratory surgeons out there wanting to bear the risk.

It's all good till something goes wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garczar
08-15-2017, 10:46 AM
Has anyone successfully plugged and redrilled a Revo shaft? Is it like a NORMAL shaft inside joint end?

I realize it will void the warranty. I need a 3/8x11....:)Since the shaft is a composite wouldn't the insert most likely be glued/epoxied in place? Kinda doubt drilling would be advised.

fcee06
08-15-2017, 10:46 AM
Im not sure what thread pattern it is currently but if it doesn't have an insert I would just run the 3/8 11 tap in it. I kept a shaft that I still play with after I sold the cue that had a 3/8 10 pattern and tapped it with the 11 without plugging and now the shaft fits both. I did that almost 10 years ago and it still fits nice and snug. I know that might not be the most recommended solution but I thought I would give it a try and if it didn't work I would plug it and retap it.

bob b.
08-15-2017, 10:51 AM
I was going to get the Radial version. Can that still be tapped out to a 3/8x11?

Buddy
08-15-2017, 11:13 AM
I asked this same question in the cue makers section and the replies were all it cant be done..Wrong it only took minutes to change from the radial to 3/8's by 11 and it was perfect screws together tight rolls perfect no scratches or nicks have been playing with it everyday for 3 weeks now and love it also had a kamui clear black soft put on it at the same time

Johnny Rosato
08-15-2017, 11:41 AM
Im not sure what thread pattern it is currently but if it doesn't have an insert I would just run the 3/8 11 tap in it. I kept a shaft that I still play with after I sold the cue that had a 3/8 10 pattern and tapped it with the 11 without plugging and now the shaft fits both. I did that almost 10 years ago and it still fits nice and snug. I know that might not be the most recommended solution but I thought I would give it a try and if it didn't work I would plug it and retap it.
I've understood it to work just as you describe!

bob b.
08-15-2017, 11:41 AM
Cool. Thanks. I figured someone like me would try it...:). Guess im on it.

You had your cue repair/guy put it on a lathe, and just tap it out, correct?

Thanks for your reply Buddy!

fcee06
08-15-2017, 12:29 PM
I think as long as it doesn't have a metal insert glued in there you can tap it. Again I was an experiment for me and turned out well worth the risk. I don't see a reason that if it doesn't work you cant then go back and plug it and retap it. I have plugged and retapped many shafts few years back so it rather easy if that's what you have to do. You cant really hurt the shaft either way, well maybe the resell value! LOL

Frank

Jdm34
08-15-2017, 12:53 PM
have a extension made 2.5 inches do 3/8-11 with a radial pin or it would be easier to have the cue pin changes to a radial. unless its a southwest or something else worth a lot of money.

Coop1701
08-15-2017, 01:05 PM
I think it can be done...

but then again.. I just watched Deep Water Horizon. Anything can be drilled. Just ask BP Oil.

GoldCrown
08-15-2017, 01:12 PM
Get a cross thread extension from Newsheriffintown. works great.

bob b.
08-15-2017, 01:34 PM
have a extension made 2.5 inches do 3/8-11 with a radial pin or it would be easier to have the cue pin changes to a radial. unless its a southwest or something else worth a lot of money.

Not going to have the pins changed on these babies! I'll change or mess up a shaft first...:)

But not only the playability, I'll bet these will look cool with the Revo shaft?

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=458125

I play with-em several times a week! :)

Bob

gregnice37
08-15-2017, 01:58 PM
I think I remember seeing somewhere that Steve Lomax said it can be done. Or you can get one of those mini extensions made with the right pins to match

ctyhntr
08-15-2017, 02:20 PM
I believe Seyberts is an authorized Predator repair shop. Have you reach out to them and see what their thoughts are? Maybe its possible for them to do the work and still keep it under warranty.

bob b.
08-15-2017, 02:24 PM
This was Seybert's "exact" reply:

Hello, they are sold as Radial or Uniloc right now and until they come out with different joints there is nothing we can do. thanks

ctyhntr
08-15-2017, 06:28 PM
Glad to hear you reached out to them and received a reply.

This was Seybert's "exact" reply:

Hello, they are sold as Radial or Uniloc right now and until they come out with different joints there is nothing we can do. thanks

Kim Bye
08-16-2017, 12:45 AM
I was going to get the Radial version. Can that still be tapped out to a 3/8x11?

No ofcourse not. Radial has a .312" minor, while 3/8-11 has a .308" minor.
Besides the threads are very different.
Can a Revo shaft be plugged? Sure, but you void the warranty and I think most cuemakers would only atempt a plug and tap operation if the customer took full responsibility.

greyghost
08-16-2017, 06:18 AM
No ofcourse not. Radial has a .312" minor, while 3/8-11 has a .308" minor.

Besides the threads are very different.

Can a Revo shaft be plugged? Sure, but you void the warranty and I think most cuemakers would only atempt a plug and tap operation if the customer took full responsibility.

That's the problem imop. A guy will say it's all good, then when it fails down the road, guess who they gonna blame and bad mouth? Sure as chit won't be themselves I'll guarontee that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hang-the-9
08-16-2017, 06:43 AM
I think it can be done...

but then again.. I just watched Deep Water Horizon. Anything can be drilled. Just ask BP Oil.

You can also milk anything with nipples. I am still trying that out, so far score is Milk Production 0, Slaps in Face 23.

ctyhntr
08-16-2017, 07:16 AM
I'm not sure if milking a cat is possible. This is from a movie, so it fiction and the conversation entirely made up for comedic effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXNwzKo5Yps

On AZ, you can ask the trolls how they milk a thread. :-)

You can also milk anything with nipples. I am still trying that out, so far score is Milk Production 0, Slaps in Face 23.

Coop1701
08-16-2017, 07:25 AM

LMAO

please keep me posted on that score...

Michael Webb
08-16-2017, 07:44 AM
When it comes to Revo shafts. I'm nervous. They are not as strong and durable as some may think. I know, I live with it. One little mark has cost me what I thought was a friend and multiple customers due to continuous ranting. Truly sad and it bothers me everyday. And this was just a small mark from my collet putting on a tip and you could only see it in the sun light.

hang-the-9
08-16-2017, 07:47 AM
I'm not sure if milking a cat is possible. This is from a movie, so it fiction and the conversation entirely made up for comedic effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXNwzKo5Yps

On AZ, you can ask the trolls how they milk a thread. :-)

Where else do you think I got that line from when I read "I just watched Deep Water Horizon. Anything can be drilled" LOL

I only look for the funny in threads, the hell with the actual topic. Well, OK, I don't like the REVO shafts, IMHO it's a bit of a waste to do extra work on it to fit a cue LOL A hollow carbon fiber tube filled with pillow stuffing is not something I want on my cue.

Kim Bye
08-16-2017, 08:06 AM
When it comes to Revo shafts. I'm nervous. They are not as strong and durable as some may think. I know, I live with it. One little mark has cost me what I thought was a friend and multiple customers due to continuous ranting. Truly sad and it bothers me everyday. And this was just a small mark from my collet putting on a tip and you could only see it in the sun light.

How did that story end for you Michael?
I goy asked as late as today to plug and tap a Revo. I said no problem, I plug and tap shafts all the time, but due to the cost, I will not take responsebility, this is all on the customer. He hasn`r replied back yet... :rolleyes:

Michael Webb
08-16-2017, 08:24 AM
I goy asked as late as today to plug and tap a Revo. I said no problem, I plug and tap shafts all the time, but due to the cost, I will not take responsebility, this is all on the customer. He hasn`r replied back yet... :rolleyes:

It hasn't ended. He still runs his mouth behind my back. We don't speak. He sent it to Predator. He got it back repaired. I don't know the results, and because of his attitude. I won't ask. I did inquire about touching up carbon fiber and the color black of course. I was told there are about 1000 shades of black. Before Revo hit the market. I was told they were very strong. That Cue maker is full of shit.

Buddy
08-16-2017, 08:35 AM
Yes thats how he did it

GoldCrown
08-16-2017, 08:44 AM

Sorry to hear this. Some cue owners are neurotic nit pickers. I can be one. Let him run his mouth. You have a good reputation. If his listeners are uncomfortable with you let them shop.

CuesRus1973
08-16-2017, 08:51 AM
I asked this same question in the cue makers section and the replies were all it cant be done..Wrong it only took minutes to change from the radial to 3/8's by 11 and it was perfect screws together tight rolls perfect no scratches or nicks have been playing with it everyday for 3 weeks now and love it also had a kamui clear black soft put on it at the same time

Can it be done? Most likely. But should it be done? All those cue makers you asked are correct. Results may vary but basically you are cross-threading with the tap. You will not have anywhere near the same amount of contact with the pin as designed. It WILL affect the feel and it WILL affect the durability of the threads. No cue maker in his right mind would touch an operation like that. This goes with any shaft. The Revo's have a delicate surface, difficult to not mar. I would avoid it like the plague. Have a mid-cue adaptor/extension made, would be my suggestion.

Coop1701
08-16-2017, 09:17 AM
Where else do you think I got that line from when I read "I just watched Deep Water Horizon. Anything can be drilled" LOL

I only look for the funny in threads, the hell with the actual topic. Well, OK, I don't like the REVO shafts, IMHO it's a bit of a waste to do extra work on it to fit a cue LOL A hollow carbon fiber tube filled with pillow stuffing is not something I want on my cue.

Not everyone gets our sense of humor.... lol

bob b.
08-16-2017, 09:20 AM
Thanks everyone for you experiences, and opinions. When I started this thread (read) I felt comfortable having someone modify to a 3/8x11. NOT so much now. I am a nit-picker cue owner, so I better not attempt it...:)

I do have a strong opinion about Predator's marketing machine. As much as they are strong going after a buck, they are MISSING many dollars by ONLY doing 2 pins on this shaft. I'm surprised someone at Predator hasn't come up with a adapter to accept all pins. (internally in the shaft end).

I like the way my cue(s) plays now. I do not like the mid extensions. Just not for me.

Bob

Michael Webb
08-16-2017, 09:31 AM
Back to original question. Yes. You could have someone run the tap in it. The results are the catch 22. If your lucky. You'll get about 25 percent thread contact. If you cross thread one time putting it together. You'll strip it out.

bob b.
08-16-2017, 09:50 AM
Back to original question. Yes. You could have someone run the tap in it. The results are the catch 22. If your lucky. You'll get about 25 percent thread contact. If you cross thread one time putting it together. You'll strip it out.

Thanks Michael. I think I'll wait...:). Or maybe someday buy/play with a different butt...:)

Michael Webb
08-16-2017, 10:26 AM
Thanks Michael. I think I'll wait...:). Or maybe someday buy/play with a different butt...:)

Hi Bob.
You can get an extension as short as 2 1/4 to 2 1/2". You can use an aluminum radial. Eliminate the solid shank part of the screw by threading it 3/8x10, 5/16x18 and have it installed in the extension as short as 3/4" and maintain strength.
Hope this helps.

Renegade_56
08-18-2017, 04:35 AM
It hasn't ended. He still runs his mouth behind my back. We don't speak. He sent it to Predator. He got it back repaired. I don't know the results, and because of his attitude. I won't ask. I did inquire about touching up carbon fiber and the color black of course. I was told there are about 1000 shades of black. Before Revo hit the market. I was told they were very strong. That Cue maker is full of shit.

That's the problem dealing with the public. Do somebody a good job and they may, or may not tell anybody, especially if they think somehow what you did to their cue may give them some slight edge, but if they are at all unsatisfied with anything they tell every fukin body how bad you are. I've had people ask for a new tip installed, with no clue what kind of tip they want, then later find out they are talkin smack about you because the tip is too soft or too hard. This is why I rarely take special orders on pool cues. I build what I like and if someone buys it great, if not I have another cue I like.

Michael Webb
08-18-2017, 10:27 AM
That's the problem dealing with the public. Do somebody a good job and they may, or may not tell anybody, especially if they think somehow what you did to their cue may give them some slight edge, but if they are at all unsatisfied with anything they tell every fukin body how bad you are. I've had people ask for a new tip installed, with no clue what kind of tip they want, then later find out they are talkin smack about you because the tip is too soft or too hard. This is why I rarely take special orders on pool cues. I build what I like and if someone buys it great, if not I have another cue I like.

That's the way it works. I accept it but consider myself lucky. 26 years to date and to put it boldly. Less than 10 that I consider walking ads for birth control.

bob b.
08-18-2017, 05:18 PM
FYI- I was told today by a reliable source. The Revo shaft has phenolic inside the shaft, the length of the pin or more. So, therefore if true, shouldn't be a problem to change...

Rubikong
08-26-2017, 04:46 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170826/5b2b5118450bb9d3ff115e5dd2ae25f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87673)

Rubikong
08-26-2017, 04:46 AM
5/8 16th on Black Boar

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Michael Webb
10-22-2017, 05:23 AM

Follow up. The customer Claimed that Predator charged him $100.00 to buff out the small knick from the collet. I gave him the money and lesson learned not to do work on Revo shafts til I find a better way to re-tip them and of course not for someone who blames everyone except the manufacturer for soft finish.

Scott Lee
10-22-2017, 07:31 AM
Just because you don't "like" the Revo shaft doesn't mean it's not a very viable, well-made shaft. They play extremely well, and have become the main playing shaft for many people. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Well, OK, I don't like the REVO shafts, IMHO it's a bit of a waste to do extra work on it to fit a cue LOL A hollow carbon fiber tube filled with pillow stuffing is not something I want on my cue.

Kim Bye
10-22-2017, 08:24 AM
Follow up. The customer Claimed that Predator charged him $100.00 to buff out the small knick from the collet. I gave him the money and lesson learned not to do work on Revo shafts til I find a better way to re-tip them and of course not for someone who blames everyone except the manufacturer for soft finish.

I think that`s a raw deal for you, your $100 out, but hopefully the customer wan`t bother you again, that`s a plus...
I retip Revo shafts now and again and even with a good metal lathe that runs withing a few thou it`s a pain, so I charge extra.
I have made extra thick and long tapered collets that fit`s the two Revo shaft models, that helps alot.

Kid Dynomite
10-22-2017, 08:45 AM
I don't understand???

Why won't predator/revo sell you the shaft with whatever threads you want?

Why won't predator/revo sell you the shaft with "No" threads at all and the cue maker can do the work without having to plug?

Why have you not called predator/revo regarding either of these two solutions and possibilities?

They want your money and you want the product "YOUR" way.

Kd

Michael Webb
10-22-2017, 09:42 AM
I don't understand???

Why won't predator/revo sell you the shaft with "No" threads at all and the cue maker can do the work without having to plug?

Why have you not called predator/revo regarding either of these two solutions and possibilities?

Kd

For right now. I would have to say the Revo is still new. It only makes sense that they would concentrate thier supply based on thier proprietary joint screws.

poolhustler
10-22-2017, 10:17 AM
FWIW - Joey Chin took a radial Revo and ran a 3/8 - 10 tap through it and it worked great ...

Michael Webb
10-22-2017, 10:24 AM
FWIW - Joey Chin took a radial Revo and ran a 3/8 - 10 tap through it and it worked great ...

It will work but if you cross thread it. You'll risk stripping it out.

JohnnyOzone
10-22-2017, 10:39 AM
I don't understand???

Kd

Simple.....They want to sell Predator butts.

Kim Bye
10-22-2017, 12:42 PM

I think you definition of great need some context. A radial pin has a minor of .312" a regular 3/8-10 pin has a minor of .302" a modified .3/8-10 has a .308" minor. So if you thread in a hole bigger than what the tap is intended for, and the hole allready have another thread pattern, your gonna have problems - sooner, not later.
Your post can also be misleading for people and a worst case scenario they can ruin their $600 shaft.