PDA

View Full Version : Game where the cues are changed.

precisepotting
08-15-2017, 11:35 PM
Won't it be fun to watch two top pro playing a game where the cues are changed in the course of the game.

Let say it is a race to 21. The first 5 games, the players use their own cues. They are then given a new cue with unknown deflection to them to use. Thereafter, every 5 frames played, the players will get a new cue from the organizer.

Won't it be fun to see the difference between them using their cues (most likely LD) to those that are unknown to them. They will probably be struggling. I believe the getting shape on the next ball will be more problematic. How about their accuracy in making the balls?

If there is a drastic level of play, then we know that knowing our cue is of utmost importance.

hotelyorba
08-16-2017, 02:00 AM
If they are some real top pros, I expect them to alter their game by not using any english. They would be giving up some of their precise posittion play, so they would have to rely more on difficult shot making, but hey, they are pros, right?

It could be interesting to watch though, I'll give you that!

Johnny Rosato
08-16-2017, 02:34 AM
I would pay to watch this!

Black-Balled
08-16-2017, 05:14 AM
As noted earlier, I also believe their proficiency levels are great enough that it really wouldn't matter.

Not that they would play 100% speed with all cues, but the difference would be lowish.

greyghost
08-16-2017, 06:16 AM
As noted earlier, I also believe their proficiency levels are great enough that it really wouldn't matter.

Not that they would play 100% speed with all cues, but the difference would be lowish.

Yes lowish indeed. It wouldn't be some drastic effect unless you threw a end weighted shaft in. Which would be funny as hell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superiorduper
08-16-2017, 06:17 AM
As long as the tips were decent it wouldn't matter

precisepotting
08-16-2017, 07:52 AM
I believe the snooker players will benefit if such a game is played since they hardly use sidespin.

Many pool pros tend to use sidespin to get position. Without using sidespin, they will have the accuracy to make balls (although probably at a slightly lower percentage since they might be uncomfortable with high deflection cue) but getting precise position should be tough. That is my guess.

I could be wrong as playing high and low shot could be just as accurate for these pros. It would be extremely interesting to watch the development of such a game though.

Bavafongoul
08-16-2017, 08:00 AM
Nope.....it's the game that's interesting, not the equipment the player uses.
I don't buy gold clubs because a top pro plays that same make & model clubs.
Same applies to cues. When a pro misses, betcha they won't blame the cue.

greyghost
08-16-2017, 08:14 AM

What about when balls players wiff and look at the bat checking for holes? Lol

Oh right this is a bat not a stringless tennis racquet....interesting hahaha

fastone371
08-16-2017, 10:26 AM

My thoughts exactly.

mchnhed
08-16-2017, 12:23 PM
How about switching tables a couple of times during a match?

garczar
08-16-2017, 12:52 PM
True story: around '04-'07 Buddy Hall lived in Tulsa and played everyday at Magoos. He had one of those giant, rolling salesman cue cases that held 10-15 cues. He was always getting freebies from makers and then sold them after. There were many days where i watched Buddy shoot with at least 6 different cues of all types: flat-face, piloted, stiff, whippy you name it. What amazed me was that he played exactly the same with all of them. He might try 5 cues/hr and never miss a ball. Never showed any preference for any one cue. His ability to adjust that quickly just shows that the cue(to a top player) is just the means to an end. All that being said, when pressed Buddy told me that the cues the Bob Meucci himself made('79-'81) were the nuts. Said he played his best pool with one.

strmanglr scott
08-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Won't it be fun to watch two top pro playing a game where the cues are changed in the course of the game.

Let say it is a race to 21. The first 5 games, the players use their own cues. They are then given a new cue with unknown deflection to them to use. Thereafter, every 5 frames played, the players will get a new cue from the organizer.

Won't it be fun to see the difference between them using their cues (most likely LD) to those that are unknown to them. They will probably be struggling. I believe the getting shape on the next ball will be more problematic. How about their accuracy in making the balls?

If there is a drastic level of play, then we know that knowing our cue is of utmost importance.

Would there be diamonds on the table?

pocketsplitter
08-16-2017, 02:44 PM
Would there be diamonds on the table?

Lol please don't invite that thread here

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87673)

greyghost
08-16-2017, 02:49 PM
Lol please don't invite that thread here

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87673)

[emoji23]

Black-Balled
08-16-2017, 03:50 PM
True story: around '04-'07 Buddy Hall lived in Tulsa and played everyday at Magoos. He had one of those giant, rolling salesman cue cases that held 10-15 cues. He was always getting freebies from makers and then sold them after. There were many days where i watched Buddy shoot with at least 6 different cues of all types: flat-face, piloted, stiff, whippy you name it. What amazed me was that he played exactly the same with all of them. He might try 5 cues/hr and never miss a ball. Never showed any preference for any one cue. His ability to adjust that quickly just shows that the cue(to a top player) is just the means to an end. All that being said, when pressed Buddy told me that the cues the Bob Meucci himself made('79-'81) were the nuts. Said he played his best pool with one.
It wasn't the cue, it was black beauties and Jesus.

greyghost
08-16-2017, 04:16 PM
It wasn't the cue, it was black beauties and Jesus.

Bawhahahahhaahhaha! Well said

precisepotting
08-16-2017, 07:50 PM

Different cues have different deflection. Changing a cue meant that the pros will no longer be able to use sidespin. It would be embarrassing to miss simple pots. I believe they would rather go for a follow, stun or draw shot, even if the positioning isn't as ideal instead of opting for a risky sidespin shot.

I also wonder if the tip of the cue matters: Snooker cues have a much smaller tip and whether the curvature of the cue tip matters.

12squared
08-16-2017, 08:12 PM

Throw in a shaft with a brass ferrule that's painted white so they can't tell. :eek::eek::eek:

hotelyorba
08-16-2017, 11:47 PM
Have the players leave the room mid-rack and switch out one of the balls for one of those wobbly balls (with an off-center weight in it). When they restart playing, they are told one of them now is the funny ball, but they won't know which one! :thumbup: