PDA

View Full Version : putting on a new tip

coltstudd
09-29-2017, 12:56 PM
hi forum,i live in the country and no one close by to have a tip put on by a pro,i done one my self and it came out pretty good and played very good for me in my league play,do you think there is a difference between doing it your self or having a pool shop doing it for you.your opinion is welcome,thanks.

nj82tj
09-29-2017, 01:07 PM
I've had Bob Dzuricky put a few on for me. There is absolutely no way I could come close to how he installs and finishes them on my own. I would mail him my cue shaft if I didn't live within driving distance.

RiverCity
09-29-2017, 01:11 PM
Tips can be done just fine without machinery. A lathe is preferable of course...... But a good old fashioned hand job is ok when you cant get to a professional...... :ok:

Seriously though, results are based largely on knowledge, skill, and experience no matter how you retip a cue. A mentor of mine used to tell me about a pool room owner who used a butcher knife to trim the sides flush with the ferrule. Said you couldnt tell by eye that it was done by hand.

Lots of ways to skin a cat. :wink:

Black-Balled
09-29-2017, 05:55 PM
I've never done a layered tip by hand, but with a good razor blade and a tweetin's cue top sander, some glue and a rubber band...lepros a hundreds, I done.

Ipmtim
09-30-2017, 06:59 AM
I think it depends on ones skill level with tools. I know people that could cut their hand off with a phillips screwdriver. lol.
I am very versed with tools of all kinds across many trades and will learn to tip my own cues soon. I think I will practice on the Wallybushkas at my buddy's bar first. lol
Remember even the pros had to tip their first cue.
I think the info to be gained here will be a big help, and don't forget youtube!

lakeman77
09-30-2017, 08:31 AM
Watch Barry Starks video on tip replacement. You Tube. You can put 'em on yourself as well as anybody. Or buy a Wiiard Tipping Machine, get a used one on here or anywhere, watch the video. It is easy, really.