PDA

View Full Version : Gold Crown Paint codes

xianmacx
09-30-2017, 07:44 AM
Guys,

Just a thread to keep all the GC paint codes together. I know some use default SW colors, but I wanted perfect matches. Here is the Gold, white and blue. Thanks to BNALL for the blue. All were matched from original non faded spots on tables.

Ian

classiccues
10-01-2017, 06:47 AM
I for one...love the original GC colors.. I like the white base with the colored sides..

If I were to open a room, with lets say a rock and roll / 50's-60's design.. I would go white pearl bases, with 1/2 tables red sparkle, (candy apple) and the other half blue sparkle. Giving me the classic look in American colors.

But I am a vintage kind of guy...

JV

Sweatin'
10-01-2017, 07:04 AM
I for one...love the original GC colors.. I like the white base with the colored sides..

If I were to open a room, with lets say a rock and roll / 50's-60's design.. I would go white pearl bases, with 1/2 tables red sparkle, (candy apple) and the other half blue sparkle. Giving me the classic look in American colors.

But I am a vintage kind of guy...

JV

I'm with you on this!

About these paints: are they normally applied with a brush and roller or some sort of airless paint sprayer? And if they're brushed/rolled, will the roll marks go away as the paint dries so you wind up with a smooth look?

rikdee
10-01-2017, 07:11 AM
thanks, Ian.

MapleMan
10-01-2017, 07:17 AM
Promar 200 and duration are wall paints. They level out with a brush but best results are to spray. Try proclassic from sw. Levels out great but can't over work. So dont go back into spots painted as they dry

xianmacx
10-01-2017, 07:59 AM
Promar 200 and duration are wall paints. They level out with a brush but best results are to spray. Try proclassic from sw. Levels out great but can't over work. So dont go back into spots painted as they dry

And to piggyback this comment. I am not a painter so I possibly used less than optimal products or techniques.

I sprayed these latex paints with a HPLV gun from harbor freights. I was pleased with the results. Possibly not durable enough for a pool room but is holding up great as a home table. A few people mentioned oil base would have been more durable but I was uncomfortable working with it.

Ian

classiccues
10-01-2017, 08:48 AM
These are what tables should look like..

JV

MapleMan
10-01-2017, 08:50 AM
Oils are a lot harder to get these days. Those paints should work. A waterased enamel like proclassic would provide a harder more durable finish but on a home table i doubt it would be necessary

Paul Schofield
10-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Whenever I have purchased early Gold Crowns for commercial use, I elected not to repaint with original colors. The aprons get banged up easily and every little mark stands out like a sore thumb (especially with repainting). Under the paint is the most beautiful glued up and molded maple wood. I have always had the paint stripped of all coatings, stained with a dark redwood transparent stain, and finished with a hard satin urethane. It looks great and hides all the blemishes.