PDA

View Full Version : I have this beat up Meucci, and I wonder if it is worth getting refinished.

justinb386
10-03-2017, 01:14 PM
I just purchased this really beat up Meucci, and I am just curious (looking for opinions) on if you think it is worth the cost of getting refinished?

The good, and very surprising thing about the cue, is that it is straight as an arrow (was very surprised about how straight it rolls). Purchased it online, from a seller who was not into pool at all, and knew nothing about pool cues (so it felt like a very risky purchase).

I just really wanted to try out a Black dot shaft (because I had never played with one before).

I really love the way the black dot shaft plays (it hits super nice I think). It has some sort of soft layered tip on it, and that might be in part about why I love the hit so much.

Not sure if it is even worth getting refinished, since there is really nothing special about the cue.

I can't believe how pool players abuse their cues like they do. This cue was really abused, and played with very carelessly, from the looks of it.

Thanks for any thoughts about this.

Would you get it refinished, or would you just shoot with it?

I understand it is probably a stupid question (asking about an average Meucci).

Thanks.

benny-the-blade
10-03-2017, 01:50 PM
That's a HP-3 Meucci. It's not worth getting refinished, in my opinion.

justinb386
10-03-2017, 02:07 PM
That's a HP-3 Meucci. It's not worth getting refinished, in my opinion.

Thanks. I figured not.

336Robin
10-03-2017, 03:11 PM
Thats a nice cue if you got it right but the condition, I'd play it and hope to find another shaft one day. I see that a black dot shaft.
As far as retail goes its probably worth what you paid however I've had mixed reviews on them. Its ld turn the dot up when you play and you
will likely like the less amount of squirt. This might open the door to another LD later on for you.

ceebee
10-03-2017, 03:43 PM
How much will you take for it...?

Celophanewrap
10-03-2017, 03:53 PM
Maybe it's not worth getting refinished, unless it has some personal value to you, but I don't think I'd send it to Meucci to get refinished, you may never get it back.
Find a local guy, maybe someone just starting to repair or build and I bet it's something they might be willing to do more for the experience more than anything else.
If an experienced cuemaker would charge you a couple of hundred maybe the new guy would do it for about half that with no time line of course.
Maybe just tell him you'd like to have it back by Valentines day or next summer or something like that

justinb386
10-03-2017, 04:19 PM
Thats a nice cue if you got it right but the condition, I'd play it and hope to find another shaft one day. I see that a black dot shaft.
As far as retail goes its probably worth what you paid however I've had mixed reviews on them. Its ld turn the dot up when you play and you
will likely like the less amount of squirt. This might open the door to another LD later on for you.

The shaft does seem pretty thin, but I really like it. I just wish the cue was mint. Someone really abused it.

justinb386
10-03-2017, 04:23 PM
Maybe it's not worth getting refinished, unless it has some personal value to you, but I don't think I'd send it to Meucci to get refinished, you may never get it back.
Find a local guy, maybe someone just starting to repair or build and I bet it's something they might be willing to do more for the experience more than anything else.
If an experienced cuemaker would charge you a couple of hundred maybe the new guy would do it for about half that with no time line of course.
Maybe just tell him you'd like to have it back by Valentines day or next summer or something like that

I know that Scott Sherbine (who has been in the cue repair business since as long as I can remember) only charges $100. The local cue repair guy is a good idea, but not sure if there are any around my area. Will have to ask around. Thanks

lorider
10-03-2017, 04:25 PM
The shaft does seem pretty thin, but I really like it. I just wish the cue was mint. Someone really abused it.

If you decide to.sell it pm me a price.

Johnny Rosato
10-03-2017, 04:27 PM
You've always emphasized the point that you didn't care how beat up a cue was. I'm not gonna waste time looking over old threads, but I've seen you say that more than 10 times!

GoldCrown
10-03-2017, 04:38 PM
if you think it is worth the cost of getting refinished?

I understand it is probably a stupid question (asking about an average Meucci).

Thanks.

If you like it and can afford it ...do it. There are no rules. I spent over $200 converting a $35Dufferin.

us820
10-03-2017, 04:52 PM
If you like it and can afford it ...do it. There are no rules. I spent over $200 converting a $35Dufferin.

Yeah,I have a few of those $200 $35 cues too.

justinb386
10-03-2017, 05:12 PM
You've always emphasized the point that you didn't care how beat up a cue was. I'm not gonna waste time looking over old threads, but I've seen you say that more than 10 times!

Lol, yeah, you are right. I have said it in every single WTB thread that I ever created (only because I wanted a decent quality cue for cheap, and all I really cared about was the shaft being ding free, and the cue being fairly straight). I guess I asked simply to hint at asking if a cue like this would be worth refinishing (not that I would or could pay to have it done). Was just curious.

justinb386
10-03-2017, 05:22 PM

I understand what you are saying. I was thinking more along the lines of real world value of the cue, even in 100% mint condition, compared to the value of it in its current beat up condition.

I can only assume that the cue is not worth getting refinished. It was probably a really stupid question.

lorider
10-03-2017, 06:09 PM
I understand what you are saying. I was thinking more along the lines of real world value of the cue, even in 100% mint condition, compared to the value of it in its current beat up condition.

I can only assume that the cue is not worth getting refinished. It was probably a really stupid question.

As you may well know ....meucci is not exactly every ones favorite brand of cue therefore price reflects their reputation. With that said like the poster above said....only you can decide if its worth it to ( you ) to refinish it or not.

Btw ......there are no stupid questions. Only uninformed people asking their peers that are more experienced in a certain subject for their opinions.

ceebee
10-03-2017, 06:11 PM
As you may well know ....meucci is not exactly every ones favorite brand of cue therefore price reflects their reputation. With that said like the poster above said....only you can decide if its worth it to ( you ) to refinish it or not.

Btw ......there are no stupid questions. Only uninformed people asking their peers that are more experienced in a certain subject for their opinions.

I'm still ill interested in buying the cue. Not for any re-do at all ....

justinb386
10-03-2017, 06:47 PM

Yeah, I think that most players out there would rather have a Lucasi (which are made in China) then a Meucci these days (I do not know). Lucasi seems to be a very popular brand these days (maybe among most of the league players). I think it is kind of sad that cues from a cue company in China are more desirable (to American pool players) then a US cue maker who has been around far longer than that cue company, from China. I have to admit though, Lucasi makes a very high quality cue, but I think their prices are right up there with the prices that Meucci charges for their cues.

Hopefully now that Meucci is sponsoring all of these great pro players, and making good quality cues, with much better quality control, their popularity might be getting a lot better.

I am just happy I finally got to try out a black dot shaft. It hits really nice, in my opinion.

lorider
10-03-2017, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I think that most players out there would rather have a Lucasi (which are made in China) then a Meucci these days (I do not know). Lucasi seems to be a very popular brand these days (maybe among most of the league players). I think it is kind of sad that cues from a cue company in China are more desirable (to American pool players) then a US cue maker who has been around far longer than that cue company, from China. I have to admit though, Lucasi makes a very high quality cue, but I think their prices are right up there with the prices that Meucci charges for their cues.

Hopefully now that Meucci is sponsoring all of these great pro players, and making good quality cues, with much better quality control, their popularity might be getting a lot better.

I am just happy I finally got to try out a black dot shaft. It hits really nice, in my opinion.

I play with a meucci gambler now with a black dot shaft.....well.most of the time lol. I switch between it and an adam/ helmsteter balabushka GB 3. I used to have a meucci with a skinny shaft and wish I had never let it go. You can really move the cue ball around with those skinny shafts.

Yea bob has started sponsoring players. I was in his shop playing league one night and got to see Skylar there and bob was going over some shots with him on an adjacent table. I was more interested in watching them while I was playing my match and sure enough I lost lol.

I have heard that bob has gotten more involved in day to day operations the last year or so and that quality has improved some what.

lorider
10-03-2017, 07:04 PM
I'm still ill interested in buying the cue. Not for any re-do at all ....

I was interested in it also for several reasons ...aside from the fact I like meuccis and play with one now. The color...design and the skinny shaft.

As for intentions of refinishing....had not really thought about that. I live 5 minutes from the meucci factory and Scott Erwin is about 45 minutes away if I ever need a meucci refinished.

TATE
10-03-2017, 07:12 PM

Some answers in this thread seem to be sarcastic, but believe it or not, Meucci's are still popular and salable, the older the better. They have a following and some people collect them.

On these fancier models, of course it's worth it to get it refinished by Scot. You will probably get your money back and you will have the pleasure of having a cue that will look better than when it left the factory.

one stroke
10-03-2017, 07:14 PM

The only stupid question is the one that's not asked ,, if you like the cue 100 is a drop in the bucket , ,

lorider
10-03-2017, 07:20 PM
Justin I forgot to mention in my reply to you that as far as the quality of meuccis I guess I have been one of the lucky ones. I am on my 3rd meucci now . I bought all of them used. 150.00 for the one with the skinny shaft...forgot what model I was. A gambler I paid 200.00 for and traded even for a brand new predator blak 4 . I say brand new. The guy bought it new and only had it 5 weeks before we traded. 200.00 for the current gambler I now have.

I never encountered quality issues such as rings or inlays popping...finish cracking or flaking or warping either.. Well the previous gambler I had did have a warped shaft which i straightened out with steam and it was still straight 2 years later when I traded it for the predator.

GoldCrown
10-03-2017, 08:15 PM
It was probably a really stupid question.

Not really. Ask away.

daxe
10-03-2017, 08:41 PM
Can,t tell with out better Pics but will be around $100.00

Check Out my facebook page

JoeyInCali
10-03-2017, 09:05 PM
Is the shaft straight ?

lorider
10-03-2017, 09:39 PM
Is the shaft straight ?

Shafts can be straightened.

JoeyInCali
10-03-2017, 09:43 PM
Shafts can be straightened.

Not if it's totally bowed and have banana grains.
This one has laminated ply with really skinny taper to the middle.

lorider
10-03-2017, 09:57 PM
Some answers in this thread seem to be sarcastic, but believe it or not, Meucci's are still popular and salable, the older the better. They have a following and some people collect them.

On these fancier models, of course it's worth it to get it refinished by Scot. You will probably get your money back and you will have the pleasure of having a cue that will look better than when it left the factory.

I know the written word can be taken out of context sometimes and hope my post did not come across as sarcastic. I really dont know about cue prices ....just what I read on this forum and my own personal experience. I have bought 3 meuccis and the most I have paid was 200.00 and they all were in great shape and did not need refinishing.

I also dont have any experience in buying cues on this forum or over the web at all. Every cue I purchased so far has been face to face with an individual. I did try to make a trade plus cash with a vendor one time at a tournament but thought I was getting a bad deal so I backed out. Turns out I was rich when he claimed my cue was not ivory and 2 cue makers verified my cue did in fact have ivory.

Like I said ....i have never paid more than 200.00 for a meucci but realize I have very limited knowledge of cue values so will defer to your judgement that he can pay to have this cue refinished and not lose money if he ever decided to sell it.

justinb386
10-04-2017, 05:47 AM
Is the shaft straight ?

Yeah, the shaft is extremely straight (surprisingly). The entire cue rolls very straight (together and apart). I thought for sure that there would be some issue with the straightness, but nothing but just a tiny bit of light under the shaft (the taper part of the shaft, not the tip) when rolled on a pool taper. Everything rolls very flat on the table.

justinb386
10-04-2017, 06:05 AM

This is off topic, but I am really curious how many cues Meucci has been known to make (per year) over the years, and compared to other US production cue makers (like Joss, Schon, Viking, Mcdermott, and any others I am missing), who produces the most amount of cues per year, and who receives the most success in sales (if that is public info, and not private). I always assumed that Schon cues produced the least amount of cues per year, and they probably sell out of most of them eventually. I am mainly just curious how successful Meucci has been throughout the years. How many Meucci cues sit in dealers cases, and for how long. When it comes to ebay, and the 2nd hand market, Meucci cues do seem to be very popular.

I just hope that many of the US players are still buying from US cue makers, like Meucci, instead of choosing to buy a cue from China (like a Predator, or a Lucasi). Americans should be loyal to cue makers from their own country. Support American cue makers, unless you really feel that cues from China and other places are that much more superior (then anything made in the US).

decent dennis
10-04-2017, 06:33 AM
I have the same cue, my wife (girlfriend at the time) bought it back around 98-99.Still straight and plays better than i do.

italbomber
10-04-2017, 08:19 AM
Id take the time to talk with Scott Erwin. He is the guy to go over this Meucci Cue. And his refinish work is MINT! And if he can get it to where it is sellable for a little more than you have into it, PROFIT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justinb386
10-04-2017, 09:00 AM
I have the same cue, my wife (girlfriend at the time) bought it back around 98-99.Still straight and plays better than i do.

Was the black dot shaft around back in the late 90's? I really have no idea.

strmanglr scott
10-04-2017, 09:44 AM
Meuccis are popular around mid-Michigan. I see a lot of them.

Love mine, had it for ten years. Straight as can be and I've gave it no reason to be.

I like the way it hits, many do not. I've played solid red dots, other cues, still like the black dot.

I looked at that same model before I bought mine. It was beyond my price range.

One of the area's master level players plays that same cue w black dot.

I'd buy it and drop a hundo on it all day.

strmanglr scott
10-04-2017, 09:49 AM
http://www.budgetcues.com/meucci-pool-cue-hp-3.htm

$531 retail

PhilosopherKing
10-04-2017, 09:56 AM
i think you're 50/50 to make your money back on the refinish when you sell it, meaning if the cue would sell as is for $200, i don't see it reaching beyond $300 (if that) when refinished. so, why waste time and tie-up money?

in your case, the refinish might help most in getting a trade that favors you, but only you and the seller know what you paid.

decent dennis
10-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Was the black dot shaft around back in the late 90's? I really have no idea.

Don't know ,mine has a red dot.

hustlinKY
10-04-2017, 10:40 PM
I read all those horror stories and got multiple quotes from many other Cue smiths on getting my 84-4 repaired.
It was broken completely 3 inches above the bumper and every estimate I got was $150+ so I took a chance with meucci. They aren't great at answering emails and the lady who answers the phone has a naturally pissed off kinda voice but they did GRADE A work and they were on time.
Total cost including shipping????
$48
Bahahahahahahah
Moral of the story is make your own opinion. I'll send them more cues as needed. Probably not for quick turn around like tips and ferrules but any meucci repair I'll use em.

BmoreMoney
10-05-2017, 12:03 AM
I thought for sure that there would be some issue with the straightness.........

Yes; yes , so did we all - as soon as we saw the ttile and who the author was 😉. Lol

justinb386
10-05-2017, 01:13 AM

Maxx
10-05-2017, 05:38 AM

I might have missed it, but did you post in this thread?

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=420317

justinb386
10-06-2017, 01:02 PM
I might have missed it, but did you post in this thread?

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=420317

You are joking, right? Lol.

Johnny Rosato
10-06-2017, 01:42 PM
http://www.budgetcues.com/meucci-pool-cue-hp-3.htm

$531 retail
Justin's probably got about $31 in it!