PDA

View Full Version : BCA Hall of Fame

9andout
10-06-2017, 03:21 PM
I believe the HOF reaches a little in certain years to obtain inductees.
Not singling anyone out, but I think the prestige is not there when you include certain players compared to others.
The BCA HOF is also unique in that, a lot of the members are still playing actively.
Not retired.

Do you think some years they should not have any inductees?

I think they are trying to be like other sports, inducting a certain number every year.
But with say baseball, the total talent pool / participation is much bigger.
And their yearly inductees are really scrutinized in relation to players of years gone by.

BuddyWing
10-06-2017, 06:15 PM
NO ....
I think Tom and Darren both belong in .

9ball5032
10-07-2017, 01:35 AM
yes, I think some years they should not have any inductees. over the next 10 years there will probably be only 4 to 5 people worthy; if that.

ratdaddy
10-07-2017, 03:30 AM
For many years they inducted just 1 player a year, and some years they didn't induct anyone ('72-'74 and '79 for example), so they've done it before, but I don't think they'll do that any more. Cutting it down to 1 player each year would still allow them to honor someone without diluting the prestige.

9andout
10-07-2017, 07:31 AM
NO ....
I think Tom and Darren both belong in .
The post wasn't about this year in particular but the HOF overall.

yes, I think some years they should not have any inductees. over the next 10 years there will probably be only 4 to 5 people worthy; if that.
Exactly my point.

For many years they inducted just 1 player a year, and some years they didn't induct anyone ('72-'74 and '79 for example), so they've done it before, but I don't think they'll do that any more. Cutting it down to 1 player each year would still allow them to honor someone without diluting the prestige.
Ok. I should've scanned my book for those years.
One a year sounds like a good solution.

Cornerman
10-07-2017, 08:53 AM
There is no "cutting it down to one inductee a year" solution. If there's enough votes, we've done two (e.g., Archer and Fisher).

There will always be a disagreement on who should and shouldn't be in. Comes with the territory.

Golf has current, active players in their HoF. Like it or not, being retired is not a requirement and hasn't been for a long time (if ever).

Since part of the HoF activities is to have a yearly inductee ceremony, at least one a year seems like a fine plan. This year will be at the Mosconi Cup, and it's going to be grand.

I don't think there's a single inductee that doesn't have a reasonably good argument for being included, regardless of disagreements in the fan community.

Freddie

9andout
10-07-2017, 09:09 AM
Can we also at least get an acknowledgment from tournament directors of their HOF status before a match?
If they actually do introductions.
That always pisses me off. Sorry.

cajunfats
10-07-2017, 09:12 AM
Without a brick and mortar structure to make the masses aware of the existence of the extensive history of pool and billiards, it is merely a list of names. Millions of people who play, don't know of any of them.

Other HoF's require that players/coaches,etc. no longer be active to be considered for induction. That is a pretty good criteria to follow. JMHO.

Cornerman
10-07-2017, 09:49 AM
Can we also at least get an acknowledgment from tournament directors of their HOF status before a match?
If they actually do introductions.
That always pisses me off. Sorry.

I agree. And I think Ken Shuman does a good job at this, but he's one of very few. Kenny is now part of the HoF committee, and I know it is important to him.

Freddie

PoolBum
10-07-2017, 11:12 AM
Golf has current, active players in their HoF. Like it or not, being retired is not a requirement and hasn't been for a long time (if ever).

And it shouldn't be, IMO. Pool is unlike most sports in that a pool player can play well into their 60's, and even beyond. I wouldn't want to wait until Efren was 93 and only finishing in the top 5 at the DCC one-pocket to get him into the HOF.

9andout
10-07-2017, 04:02 PM
I agree. And I think Ken Shuman does a good job at this, but he's one of very few. Kenny is now part of the HoF committee, and I know it is important to him.

Freddie
And Scott the Shot. Love his style.
Frank Del Pizzio lacks in that department.:mad: