PDA

View Full Version : How to refinish a golf shaft

Jonbouy
10-07-2017, 12:29 PM
If this has been discussed before, my sincere apologies for reposting. I made a horrible mistake and cleaned a ferrule with Aramith ball cleaner and got some on the shaft, which destroyed the polyurethane. Is there an easy fix for me, like using clear paint with Acrylic Polyurethene? I appreciate any and all answers.

SC02GTP
10-07-2017, 03:04 PM
You have three options. Remove the rest of the finish. have the shaft refinished, or, buy a new shaft. Of course you could always leave it alone and just play with it that way.

9andout
10-07-2017, 03:57 PM
NPR.
Title not related to pool. :D
Except for pool game golf.
Preview your posts!!!

lorider
10-07-2017, 08:14 PM
NPR.
Title not related to pool. :D
Except for pool game golf.
Preview your posts!!!

Do golf shafts have ferrules ? possibly a mistake in his title..

JohnnyOzone
10-07-2017, 08:28 PM

Yes, they do

where shaft enters the clubhead

WildWing
10-07-2017, 08:31 PM

Golf shafts do have ferrules, especially with forged blade irons. You may associate the ferrule with the iron head, rather than the shaft. The ferrule is usually acrylic black, sometimes with different colored rings at the top. I think it has nothing to do with his post. Polyurethane has nothing to do with golf club shafts, ferrules and all.

In fact, I suspect the OP was on something pretty strong when starting this. A cue shaft does not have a polyurethane finish on it in the first place. Aramith ball cleaner would have no impact on such a finish. The shaft would have likely had a sanding sealer finish on it, or possibly something like Q Slick or many other available shaft finishes on it, or maybe nothing at all.

A refinish on the shaft is all that's necessary. But maybe not. Possibly the OP needs to take a good look at his post and wonder, what was I thinking?

And what am I thinking by even answering this...

All the best,
WW

dnixon
10-07-2017, 09:16 PM
This is a great post. LOL

9andout
10-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Costa Rica. Golf = pool!!😆

pt109
10-08-2017, 08:53 AM
If this has been discussed before, my sincere apologies for reposting. I made a horrible mistake and cleaned a ferrule with Aramith ball cleaner and got some on the shaft, which destroyed the polyurethane. Is there an easy fix for me, like using clear paint with Acrylic Polyurethene? I appreciate any and all answers.

I'll go with 'pool related' because you used an Aramith ball cleaner...
...but some pics may give us something to sink our teeth into.

My own personal beef with the term 'ferrule'?
The root of ferrule is the Latin word for 'iron'...
...when's the last time you saw an iron ferrule?

pt....dislikes oxymorons

jimmyco
10-08-2017, 12:00 PM
I'll go with 'pool related' because you used an Aramith ball cleaner...
...but some pics may give us something to sink our teeth into.

My own personal beef with the term 'ferrule'?
The root of ferrule is the Latin word for 'iron'...
...when's the last time you saw an iron ferrule?

pt....dislikes oxymorons

I've heard of pressing the linen wrap with an iron.

Talk about your oxymorons. That has always been the appeal of linen to me. That wrinkled, no iron look.

Johnny Rosato
10-08-2017, 12:04 PM
https://thesandtrap.com/forums/

trfitters
10-08-2017, 12:24 PM
I own a golf fitting company and build clubs as well. Are you saying that there is a spot in the clear coat on the shaft? Send me a pic.

919 939 zero eight eight zero