PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Play This Shot?

DrCue'sProtege
10-09-2017, 10:09 AM
Do you posters play this shot, going from the 5B to the 6B, with about a tip of left English at 9:00 or do you hit it low, about 6:00?

https://pad.chalkysticks.com/54712.png

pt109
10-09-2017, 10:16 AM
Low left...7:30....two rails for the six

Danimal
10-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Hit the 5 firm with straight top on the CB. Come around 4 rails to get in line with the 6.

bbb
10-09-2017, 10:31 AM
...............low enough to hit the 1st diamond by the left corner pocket and have 2 rail shape

PhilosopherKing
10-09-2017, 10:34 AM
I think just low. Don't give the side pocket a chance to come into play.

chefjeff
10-09-2017, 10:36 AM
Which shot? What's the objective?

Jeff Livingston

DrCue'sProtege
10-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Which shot? What's the objective?

Jeff Livingston

To simply go from the 5B to the 6B.

chefjeff
10-09-2017, 10:40 AM
To simply go from the 5B to the 6B.

Ah, then close eyes and hit as hard as you can.

I like the low-left, 2 rail position, but careful of the side! Table size can change this choice for me.

Jeff Livingston

FuManchu
10-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Just left for me. Low left has a tendency to come out two rails and go straight in the side. About a tip and a half of left brings you one diamond on the other side of the side pocket.

PoolBum
10-09-2017, 11:02 AM
Low left, scratch in the corner pocket, beat cue on table.

tucson9ball
10-09-2017, 11:04 AM
Do you posters play this shot, going from the 5B to the 6B, with about a tip of left English at 9:00 or do you hit it low, about 6:00?

I would play it low with maybe a 1/4 tip of left.

DelawareDogs
10-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Table size does change my choices here, but I like low, or 9:00 left, and I even like high inside here, depending on where the 7,8,9 (10) are..... check it one rail maybe tap it off the rail gently.

book collector
10-09-2017, 11:20 AM
Low left, scratch in the corner pocket, beat cue on table.

A man after my own heart.
Also blame bystanders over at the counter getting a sandwich ,for being in with your opponent and sharking you.

Island Drive
10-09-2017, 11:25 AM

hit it lowER than center or a little left? Depends on conditions. If it's humid I play my shots and patterns one way, if it's dry conditions my pattern play AND CUING....change dramatically, as does vise versa.

So always keep and eye on the weather in dry climates that can become instantly humid from unforeseen thundershowers.

Cornerman
10-09-2017, 11:36 AM

Ditto-ish.

Freddie <~~~ maybe 7:36

cscott67
10-09-2017, 11:40 AM
Like all shots, english and ball speed are a blend……..

JC
10-09-2017, 11:46 AM
Hit the 5 firm with straight top on the CB. Come around 4 rails to get in line with the 6.

Assuming the path is clear this is by far the correct answer. You are coming into your shape zone on the shot line, not across it and the shape zone is huge once you are approaching the third rail. You can hit it too hard if you really try but it's hard to hit it too soft and snooker yourself. Really don't need all that firm of a stroke either. And there is no scratch anywhere to be found. Not even close. Drawing into the left corner and out is a sucker's bet.

JC

Shannon.spronk
10-09-2017, 11:51 AM
I play the 6 in the corner and then the 5 in the same corner then try to figure out where the 8 ball is.

JolietJames
10-09-2017, 12:24 PM
What PT and Cornerman wrote.
You obviously don't hit it hard enough to get to the 3rd rail -unless you're a fish.

Icon of Sin
10-09-2017, 12:37 PM

That^

Everytime.

What are your thoughts on the shot DCP?

iusedtoberich
10-09-2017, 12:43 PM
I think the table diagram is off, the balls look too big relative to the table, so hard to see the correct angle. (doesn't even look like a 7' table)

That said, this angle does seem to be thinner than the typical 2 rail angle. Maybe the 4 rail shot is better? It just looks funny in the diagram. I can't even put this same shot on my 9' table to set it up to shoot it because I don't know where to place the balls due to the diagram being out of proportion.

JC
10-09-2017, 12:46 PM
I think the table diagram is off, the balls look too big relative to the table, so hard to see the correct angle. (doesn't even look like a 7' table)

That said, this angle does seem to be thinner than the typical 2 rail angle. Maybe the 4 rail shot is better? It just looks funny in the diagram. I can't even put this same shot on my 9' table to set it up to shoot it because I don't know where to place the balls due to the diagram being out of proportion.

The 4 railer is better because once you hit the second rail you cannot get hooked and you cannot scratch and you cannot come up short. KISS

JC

KMRUNOUT
10-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Yeah, low left. Unless you're playing on a whacky table, the side pocket shouldn't be an issue. I'm coming just above the side anyway. The side shows up on some Diamonds. This shot is extremely repeatable once you learn it.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Bob Jewett
10-09-2017, 01:12 PM
I like the two railer, but depending on how the other balls are sitting and partly how the table is playing, you need to know the three/four railer as well.

There is also the shot with a lot of right and one rail, but that's for special situations.

DrCue'sProtege
10-09-2017, 01:20 PM
What are your thoughts on the shot DCP?

Well, over the years I would usually shoot this shot about 9:00 with a tip of English. But after watching so many pros, such as the ones on all my Reno Sands Regency dvds, seems like hitting it either low or just a little bit of low left is what most pros would do.

If you use English you have to gauge how much because you are basically spinning/throwing the 5B in. That adds just a little bit of difficulty. But, then again, if a guy cant get this out using either way then he's basically not much of a player.

I was just curious what most people do. Sometimes when I am playing I think I might be using too much English instead of low. And again, that seems to be what the pros do.

r/DCP

Cornerman
10-09-2017, 01:25 PM
Well, over the years I would usually shoot this shot about 9:00 with a tip of English. But after watching so many pros, such as the ones on all my Reno Sands Regency dvds, seems like hitting it either low or just a little bit of low left is what most pros would do.

If you use English you have to gauge how much because you are basically spinning/throwing the 5B in. That adds just a little bit of difficulty. But, then again, if a guy cant get this out using either way then he's basically not much of a player.

I was just curious what most people do. Sometimes when I am playing I think I might be using too much English instead of low. And again, that seems to be what the pros do.

r/DCPEasy, there. Don't come up with the wrong conclusion based on your reasoning. I don't think there is a professional in the world that doesn't use outside english on this. If the shot sits slightly different, 9:00 might be the correct solution. It just happens that this particular layout is a blend (low left), and is the most common and dead easy solution.

This is such a bread and butter shot that I actually refer to this shot as Shot #1. I work with my students on shooting this with 6:00, 9:00, and everything in between so they see what english get them where, with the same natural shot speed.

Freddie

iusedtoberich
10-09-2017, 01:31 PM
I tried this shot on my 9' table. I set it up the best I could trying to go by the diagram. The shot is quite thin, IMO, for the standard 2 rail shot. The 4 rail is the best one, when one is standing at the table, "for the layout on MY table" :)

I did learn a new shot, just straight draw. I've never shot this angle that way before. It had interesting results. A good shot to have in the bag.

I shot the shots cold, first take, ha ha.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/XoO2M3UXB-E

PS. there is no scratch in the side, even if you are Efren, the way I set them up on my table.

Low500
10-09-2017, 01:32 PM
A man after my own heart.
Also blame bystanders over at the counter getting a sandwich ,for being in with your opponent and sharking you.
:lol:
Great line...but you forgot to add=> then threaten to "never come in this pool room again".
Keep on truckin'
:thumbup:

sixpack
10-09-2017, 01:49 PM

If it's available this is my choice.

pt109
10-09-2017, 02:32 PM
I tried this shot on my 9' table. I set it up the best I could trying to go by the diagram. The shot is quite thin, IMO, for the standard 2 rail shot. The 4 rail is the best one, when one is standing at the table, "for the layout on MY table" :)

I did learn a new shot, just straight draw. I've never shot this angle that way before. It had interesting results. A good shot to have in the bag.

Enjoy!

PS. there is no scratch in the side, even if you are Efren, the way I set them up on my table.

Thanx for using your table again....I'm hooked to your vids.
..we all play different and have different cues...my cue is 12mm with a dime shape tip.
...so when I hit 7:30 I'm putting a lot more on it..basically, I'm trying to draw into the corner...
...which I can't do...the left english takes on the first rail a lot, and a bit less on the second..
...thereby ensuring that whitey never goes into the side pocket....
...I get tighter position on the six this way...and the table never beats me.

The trouble with going four rails is that more accuracy is required....if the five goes in
the middle, high side, or low side...whitey goes different places.
...if the five was moved two balls closer to the short rail, i will play the four rails, though.

Skippy27
10-09-2017, 02:38 PM
Keep it simple.

Left english a tip to a tip and a half with about lag speed. Ball should come toward the 3rd diamond.

cubswin
10-09-2017, 04:44 PM
I'm probably hitting it about 7:41 or so. I'm guessing, as I'd have to set it up to know for sure. Know I like that shot.

hang-the-9
10-09-2017, 05:28 PM

I don't know if I like that, you can hit the opposite side pocket if you hit a bit too fat or with spin, or go into the corner if you hit thinner or with a bit of inside, or go around into the side pocket near the 6 if you hit it too hard or end up too long on the shot. 2 rails would be safer. There is a lot less chance of ending up too far or with a bad angle to make the ball or scratch.

bbb
10-09-2017, 05:46 PM

r/DCP

go spend some time with robin dryer
http://robindreyer.com
to learn vertical axis position play

HawaiianEye
10-09-2017, 05:47 PM

Enjoy!

My first instinct would be to shoot the ball with center draw and maybe a TOI to keep the ball from spinning. I usually hit the balls a little firmer than most folks, but I like to keep the balls coming off the rails with no spin, unless I need some.

For this particular shot the 2-rail or the 4-rail positions are both easy to accomplish. If there were other balls on the table that you needed to avoid it may dictate which pattern you chose to take.

Badbeat13
10-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Low left, most definitely, with smooth draw stroke.
Out from there 49 out of 50 times with the lone
exception being, dogging the 6 in the same corner.

Danimal
10-09-2017, 06:19 PM
Although coming two rails out of the corner appears to be the consensus (and it is in no way a bad shot), hitting it with low outside affects two undesirable traits:

1) It plays a crossover pattern to the line of attack on the 6; and,

2) It plays the CB on a line traveling away from the 6.

Under the gun of competition, one is prone to speed errors and it is not uncommon to overcook the speed/spin on this and easily end up with the CB down the long rail from the 6 - or even somewhere frozen on the opposite end of the table.

If these are the last two balls on the table I'm taking the 4 rails because it comes into the line of the angle of attack, and even though there is more CB travel, it is actually more forgiving to speed errors.

In "The Pro Book" by Bob Henning, he says that when competing in this type of situation (if these are the last two balls on the table) that you should opt for the shot that lets out your stroke a little. It will loosen you up and demonstrate to yourself (and to your opponent) that today you came out to play.

If one has some 3c practice it seems to be quite a natural path with little chance of scratching.

JC
10-09-2017, 06:32 PM
Low left, most definitely, with smooth draw stroke.
Out from there 49 out of 50 times with the lone
exception being, dogging the 6 in the same corner.

This particular shot is really tough to screw up.

I think the 5 will be missed more often than shape on the 6 will be botched. 2 rails, 4 rails what does it matter? This is very easy stuff. And using the 6-7 leaves a ton more questions. Where are the rest of the balls lying?

JC

iusedtoberich
10-09-2017, 06:36 PM
I'll shoot the shot a few more times a couple of other ways and report back. I still have the doughnuts set up.

Scratch85
10-09-2017, 06:37 PM
Again, I can't remember who here said it first, but certain shots come up over and over again. This is one of those basic shots that come up a hundred times in a night of pool. Most of us have a preferred way to play them, especially when the balls are this close.

Every time I watch pool on TV, Ewa says they will play this shot with "low left/right", which is low outside in my vocabulary. I only agree with her about half the time.

When I feel on, I am punting the ball around with top. The bottom of the ball is easy when you're close but put the cb on the same angle but a half diamond from the end short rail and this shot gets different with bottom.

All said, I shoot this ball around 7:30.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

bbb
10-09-2017, 07:02 PM
Although coming two rails out of the corner appears to be the consensus (and it is in no way a bad shot), hitting it with low outside affects two undesirable traits:

1) It plays a crossover pattern to the line of attack on the 6; and,

2) It plays the CB on a line traveling away from the 6.

Under the gun of competition, one is prone to speed errors and it is not uncommon to overcook the speed/spin on this and easily end up with the CB down the long rail from the 6 - or even somewhere frozen on the opposite end of the table.

If these are the last two balls on the table I'm taking the 4 rails because it comes into the line of the angle of attack, and even though there is more CB travel, it is actually more forgiving to speed errors.

In "The Pro Book" by Bob Henning, he says that when competing in this type of situation (if these are the last two balls on the table) that you should opt for the shot that lets out your stroke a little. It will loosen you up and demonstrate to yourself (and to your opponent) that today you came out to play.

If one has some 3c practice it seems to be quite a natural path with little chance of scratching.

since the 6 is close to the rail
you cant "cross over" a position zone unless you scratch in the side
also the 2 railer sends you towards the side pocket whereas the 4 railer sends you to the middle diamond above the dide pocket
ie farther from the 6
my 2 cents
i do like the 4 railer as an alternative because you could draw into the corner or 2 rail in the side pocket
but if you over cook the 4 railer you can come too far off the 4th raill an end up with a severe cut on the 6
if you have the skill the draw takes less power (more accurate)\
and leaves you closer to the 6
jmho
icbw

iusedtoberich
10-09-2017, 07:04 PM
I just shot it a bunch more times. I did several shots each of:

low outside with a drag draw stroke
only outside with a soft rolling ball stroke
low only with a drag draw stroke
low inside with several speeds, hard worked best
high only going 4 rails.

My objective was to leave an angle on the 6, to play position on other balls (if there were any).

The 4 rail path was the clear winner. Most all of the 2 rail paths came off hot on the second rail, and ended up straight on the 6. Slowing the stroke was not that affective in obtaining an angle on the 6.

Low inside I could only get to work once in about 10 tries. Definitely not for me.

I'd share the video, but it turned out to be 18 min, and I know no one will watch that, including me! ha ha.

PoolBum
10-09-2017, 07:05 PM

I don't think the cut on the 5 is thin enough to go four cushions.

PoolBum
10-09-2017, 07:09 PM

Enjoy!

The shot in your video looks to me like a thinner cut on the 5 than in the diagram, but it's hard to tell. I do agree that the four cushion position shot could be the best choice, but it really depends on exactly where the balls are sitting and how thin the cut is.

PoolBum
10-09-2017, 07:11 PM
I'll shoot the shot a few more times a couple of other ways and report back. I still have the doughnuts set up.

Mmmmmmm...doughnuts.

GoldCrown
10-09-2017, 07:27 PM
10o'clock 2 rails. Bring cue to where it is or closer to side rail

alphadog
10-09-2017, 07:27 PM
This particular shot is really tough to screw up.

I think the 5 will be missed more often than shape on the 6 will be botched. 2 rails, 4 rails what does it matter? This is very easy stuff. And using the 6-7 leaves a ton more questions. Where are the rest of the balls lying?

JC
It's the 5and6.
I wonder why you believe there has to be other balls?
This could be 1 pkt.
This could be 6 ball.
This just might be a practice / drill.

Some instructor, maybe Grady said go into the end rail at a 45degree angle and you come out through the center of the table. Dont know how well tbat works but...

Scratch85
10-09-2017, 07:35 PM
Some instructor, maybe Grady said go into the end rail at a 45degree angle and you come out through the center of the table. Dont know how well tbat works but...

It works pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87673)

demartini rocks
10-09-2017, 07:39 PM
somewhat outside of the box thinking. anybody tried this shot using 4 o'clock "inside the quarter" of the cue ball?

iusedtoberich
10-09-2017, 07:49 PM
somewhat outside of the box thinking. anybody tried this shot using 4 o'clock "inside the quarter" of the cue ball?

I did. I tried it about 10 times with low inside trying to go 2 rails. It landed perfectly once. The other 9, were all over the table, literally. Very hard to control, IMO.

jay helfert
10-09-2017, 08:10 PM
Obviously this shot is way too difficult to figure out how to get position. Please come up with something a little easier. How about putting the five ball hanging in the corner pocket and the six ball in front of the side pocket. :cool:

Scratch85
10-09-2017, 08:26 PM
Obviously this shot is way too difficult to figure out how to get position. Please come up with something a little easier. How about putting the five ball hanging in the corner pocket and the six ball in front of the side pocket. :cool:

At least this thread is about pool and not nearly as ridiculous as other current threads. Those hangers do have a way of screwing with us

How would you play this easy position shot? I'm guessing two rails, low left.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87673)

PoolBum
10-09-2017, 08:57 PM

Six cushions with a touch of inside.

jay helfert
10-10-2017, 04:10 AM

I apologize for this sarcastic reply. In truth even easy shots are sometimes the downfall of very good players because they take them for granted. Regarding the shot in question, every competent pool player knows that the best way to get shape from the five to the six is to go two rails out of the corner and back up for the six in the same pocket. It sounds easy and it is, except for a moment of carelessness where the cue ball comes to close (or scratches) in the corner pocket, hitting the point and stopping there. Or the cue ball gets away and lands a little too far down table, making the six ball a far more difficult shot. Or, heaven forbid, the player plays a little too tight on the position and scratches the cue ball in the side. All these things can happen if the player is not attentive to the shot and focused on the proper execution of it. This is where skill comes in and the good player avoids all these pitfalls and makes the shot look as easy as it really is. Bottom line is a player must concentrate on ALL shots, even the very easy ones. This is what can separate the best players from the merely good ones. Hope this helps. :wink:

Tony_in_MD
10-10-2017, 04:41 AM
For the 2 railer as long as the CB contacts the end rail at a 45 degree angle the cueball will track through the center of the table. This makes the scratch in the side a non issue.

These 2 railers coming out of a corner cut are excellent shots to practice, they come up quite a bit.

r/DCP

Island Drive
10-10-2017, 06:01 AM
I apologize for this sarcastic reply. In truth even easy shots are sometimes the downfall of very good players because they take them for granted. Regarding the shot in question, every competent pool player knows that the best way to get shape from the five to the six is to go two rails out of the corner and back up for the six in the same pocket. It sounds easy and it is, except for a moment of carelessness where the cue ball comes to close (or scratches) in the corner pocket, hitting the point and stopping there. Or the cue ball gets away and lands a little too far down table, making the six ball a far more difficult shot. Or, heaven forbid, the player plays a little too tight on the position and scratches the cue ball in the side. All these things can happen if the player is not attentive to the shot and focused on the proper execution of it. This is where skill comes in and the good player avoids all these pitfalls and makes the shot look as easy as it really is. Bottom line is a player must concentrate on ALL shots, even the very easy ones. This is what can separate the best players from the merely good ones. Hope this helps. :wink:

in the moment, because play conditions fluctuate during play, being extremely aware of each moment, gets one in the zone

Cornerman
10-10-2017, 10:06 AM

On the Diamond 7' tables, 9:00 easily gets me there just rolling it, ending much closer to the side pocket, but no chance of scratching. The more tips of english, the closer you get to the side pocket. You cant scratch.

Low left, drawing it to double the corner allowed me to stroke the ball, a bit. You needto go ahead and get the draw to the corner to get the right angle.

GoldCrown
10-10-2017, 03:21 PM
How about putting the five ball hanging in the corner pocket and the six ball in front of the side pocket. :cool:
I don't find your post sarcastic. Iv'e seen this messed up repeatedly.
The guys in my clubhouse have the 8 hanging with an easy 9. They will slam the 8 and somehow kill the shot. Or the 8 in the corner jaw....9 by the side and blow simple position.

Black-Balled
10-10-2017, 04:30 PM

That is just madness.

Center to low left, about as deep into that corner as you can. On a gold crown, you can hit it at a speed where it is ok to go to side (the picture's top) rail, but on a diamond...you might scratch.

pinkspider
10-10-2017, 08:16 PM
That is just madness.

Center to low left, about as deep into that corner as you can. On a gold crown, you can hit it at a speed where it is ok to go to side (the picture's top) rail, but on a diamond...you might scratch.

The 4-rail shot (or 3 for some) is actually quite natural. Even if you undercut or overhit you have some margin for error. There’s a small chance of a scratch but that’s mostly down to bad delivery more than anything else. But i digress it’s not relevant to the original question.

I feel the OP’s question is a good one.

This is one of those things that some of us find elementary but some will find it not so straightforward for various reasons:

1. Unfamiliarity with how cueball reacts off the rails
2. How much the ‘bite’ the cushions have
3. Fear of scratch
4. Fear of underhitting (severe cut) and overhitting (Long distance + wrong side of ball)
5. Hitting with the wrong stroke

Black-Balled raises the point that different tables will have slightly different effects which is a possible reason why there are so many different experiences and hence, views about this matter.

Mkindsv
10-10-2017, 08:34 PM
Center right. Low speed

fastone371
10-11-2017, 10:01 AM

According to my measurements the table is a 76" x 38", I was surprised it worked out too. On my computer the balls are .370 and the table is 5.700 wide and 11.400 long.

fastone371
10-11-2017, 10:56 AM
Im going 4 rails because the cue ball spends a lot of time rolling in the decent shape triangle where its tough to end up with an extreme cut, worst case is you end up long, as long as you dont freeze it on the bottom short rail it should be an easy out.

qfans
10-11-2017, 11:37 AM
The 2 railer is definetly the easier shot for me, I'm a spinner and as Cornerman stated it allows me to stroke the ball which keeps me in a groove. On a Diamond with Pro Cut Pockets the 3/4 Railer would be very useful if you're afraid of the rattle. And I like the idea of the cue moving towards the object ball in a good line with the corner pocket.

Franky4Eyes
10-11-2017, 01:06 PM
I'd think the easiest route would be your 1st option.
9 o'clock, and whatever speed the table
conditions call for.

pletho
10-13-2017, 05:24 PM

Neither, lots of bottom left and spin the ball in and cue ball comes back up just above side pocket......... easy shot........

Dave714
10-13-2017, 05:27 PM
You must be a beginner