PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you ever tried out a Generic cue that you felt was a great playing cue?

justinb386
10-11-2017, 06:21 PM
I am also curious if you have ever seen or played with a Generic cue that you thought was decent quality (maybe made with good quality woods, and put together at least half way decent, in your opinion)?

This is a stupid question, right(?), because there have probably never been any Generic cues that were made with quality materials, and decent Canadian hard rock maple shafts, right?

If they are out there, I have not been able to find them. I can assume that Generic is Generic (meaning, always going to be low / poor quality materials, and poor workmanship).

Sorry for yet another senseless thread (just some thoughts that came to mind, while I was browsing by some of the junk cues that are on ebay, that actually do have brand names, so actually can't be considered as Generic I guess).

jimmyco
10-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Just yesterday I bought a mint g-core with an as new porper case for a bean and a half from a local pro. Plays great.

justinb386
10-11-2017, 06:34 PM
Just yesterday I bought a mint g-core with an as new porper case for a bean and a half from a local pro. Plays great.

I always wondered about the G-Core shafts, but I have never tried one out. I heard that the i2 shaft that Mcdermott makes are much better. I never tried an i2 out either (I would really like to someday). Mcdermott makes a really great cue though. I do know that.

simplestroke
10-11-2017, 06:48 PM
I have an Earl Strickland Maximizer in my cue rack at home that hits amazingly well (as good as anything I have hit). Even has a distinct "ping".

mjkeil62
10-11-2017, 06:58 PM
I had an early 90s Steve Mizerak Sneaky Pete that I bought from the PX. We switched barracks and had a pool table in the new building. Since I always liked playing and the sticks that they had were crooked I wanted my own. I remember putting them all together and rolling them on the PX floor till I found a straight one. Went through about fifteen. It was the first cue I owned. That cue stayed straight even in a cheap vinyl case and hit quite nicely. Used it as a break cue when I upgraded sticks. Sold it about fifteen years ago and regret that. I keep an eye out for one like it but haven't got lucky yet. Had nice dark rosewood. Memories......

one stroke
10-11-2017, 06:58 PM
I ran a rack once with a window shade , several racks with a broom stick not in a row , had one of those cheap 3 part weighted sticks won hundreds of dollars with that , much more with a bar cue with a plastic slip on tip , oh ya the old aluminum cues also ,,
You get my drift

justinb386
10-11-2017, 07:08 PM
I ran a rack once with a window shade , several racks with a broom stick not in a row , had one of those cheap 3 part weighted sticks won hundreds of dollars with that , much more with a bar cue with a plastic slip on tip , oh ya the old aluminum cues also ,,
You get my drift

You are basically saying that a good player can play good with anything (no matter what the quality), right?

You really ran a rack with a window shade, and many racks with a broom stick? Wow, hard to believe.

pinkspider
10-11-2017, 07:23 PM
i've played all manner of cues from Players to Ginas and all points in between *my favourite cue is an Action brand (velly well made in china) sneaky pete that's basically a house cue. make no mistake, this is el cheapo shit. best playing cue (to me) ever. nice hit, snappy response, plenty of power. proprietor wrily refuses to sell it to me. cest la vie.

'junk' cues can be good playing cues. the only thing that matters is that you like how it plays, everything else is secondary. often we value looks and pedigree, which make decisions harder.

Robert58
10-11-2017, 07:36 PM
You are basically saying that a good player can play good with anything (no matter what the quality), right?

You really ran a rack with a window shade, and many racks with a broom stick? Wow, hard to believe.

The shade is quite a stretch, but back in the 70's the bar I was a regular in had a worn out corn broom that we ruffed up the end of the stick that we played with. And yes I ran racks with it. And I was only a B player at best back then.

I have won way more money with a bar stick than any of my Custom Cues.

Find a cue that balances the way you like and try different tips on it until it plays to your liking and that is all you need.

PhilosopherKing
10-11-2017, 07:38 PM
any cue you buy without trying first is a crapshoot. period.

you'll find $20 cues that you love and $20,000 cues that you hate.

you'll find a cue from #1 cuemaker x that you love, and you'll find an identical cue by #1 cuemaker x that you hate.

keep that in mind whenever you get the urge to post these succotash threads about price and maker and playability.

one stroke
10-11-2017, 07:40 PM
The shade is quite a stretch, but back in the 70's the bar I was a regular in had a worn out corn broom that we ruffed up the end of the stick that we played with. And yes I ran racks with it. And I was only a B player at best back then.

I have won way more money with a bar stick than any of my Custom Cues.

Well book that Dano it was in a charity event where they would stick anything in your hand I broke with my regular cue made a ball on the break then the TD handed me a window shade less the fabric I ran the rack out with the pointed end ,,
I came close to doing the same with one of those big pencils

Chopdoc
10-11-2017, 07:44 PM
I am also curious if you have ever seen or played with a Generic cue that you thought was decent quality

Yup.

Several.

They are not for sale. :D

justinb386
10-11-2017, 07:50 PM
any cue you buy without trying first is a crapshoot. period.

you'll find $20 cues that you love and $20,000 cues that you hate.

you'll find a cue from #1 cuemaker x that you love, and you'll find an identical cue by #1 cuemaker x that you hate.

keep that in mind whenever you get the urge to post these succotash threads about price and maker and playability.

Thanks. I understand.

Jedivman
10-11-2017, 10:08 PM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj235/jedivman1/received_10159184175450136.jpeg

They hit amazing, I now have 3 Mint Mohawks

mikemosconi
10-12-2017, 03:05 AM
Way back in the early 1990s old Abe Rich and his STAR Cue company run out of an old wood shack near Miami beach- used to visit Abe on business trips to Miami- he could no longer handle custom SP orders, but was selling STAFFORD sneaky pete's for $40- bought one- still have it- 5/16 18 flat face joint - plays like a charm- he also sold Kotlin cue cases- made by a US company that made gun cases- cost $15 from old Abe and would last a lifetime- days gone by for sure!

M.G.
10-12-2017, 03:17 AM
Players and Cuetec R360. Seriously. Decent looks, decent ingredients, excellent playing for the money.

Nostroke
10-12-2017, 04:53 AM
Did you know about the forum called the jimbo army? Those guys over there are real knowledgeable and talk almost nothing but cues!!

Oze147
10-12-2017, 05:00 AM
A few years ago, I won a mcdermott lucky cue (don't even know which of that series, but it has a linen wrap and this fake inlays).
So when I switched from snooker to pool, I started playing with this cue and I kinda like it.
But I'm nobody, who you can call experienced when it comes to cues. Give me a cue and I play with it, because I think I never lost a game because of the cue I was using...and as long you can't buy efren's hands, earl's stance or shane's mental strengh, I guess I will keep my cheap cue:D

mikemosconi
10-12-2017, 05:58 AM
IF you FEEL that any given cue plays real good for you, then, given that structural components are equally sound: straightness,and a decent tip, with a smooth shaft, you probably would not really need to worry about it's cost vs. a more expensive cue. After the basics, it s all about fine tuning. 99% of pool players just are not there yet, 75% think that they are there! It would be like a violin player thinking that a Stradovarius would make them sound SO much better- it is a reality for 1% of the violin players as well. Golfers are the most notorious for THINKING that equipment changes = better performance. The short game is the short game in golf- almost all skill under pressure, just like the last three balls in nine ball - hill/hill - way more to success there than your cue!

justinb386
10-12-2017, 07:40 AM
Did you know about the forum called the jimbo army? Those guys over there are real knowledgeable and talk almost nothing but cues!!

I did not know of that forum.

lorider
10-12-2017, 09:38 AM
I did not know of that forum.

I have not visited that forum in the last few months.....unless it has done a complete 180 you dont want to join that forum Justin....trust me.

Nothing wrong with that forum as far as I am concerned its not for people who easily get their feelings hurt.. There is no moderation there to speak of. Any thing goes more or less. The reason that website exists is because jimbo did not like the moderation here.

The comments people make here are tame compared to the comments you would receive there.

qfans
10-13-2017, 10:45 AM
I've hit with a lot of older 70's -80's era Sneaky Pete style cues most are brand name mass produced cues. Every once in a while you come across one that's just got a little bit better feel, sound or weight that puts it right in your wheel house. And for some reason it's just right I especially like it if it's got a lot of battle scars. And if it has a little high pitched sound to it when held lightly and hit well, that's not caused by a loose ferrule or weight bolt! But with these older cues that hit really stiff then we get into the low deflection discussion, like the older McD D-1's they hit really well but deflect a lot. Would love for someone to make a movie about that sought after Red Violin of cues! But we first have to determine if it ever existed.

JohnnyOzone
10-13-2017, 12:17 PM
You get my drift

When I see any of the top players playing with a broomstick or an aluminum budweiser cue at a major tournament, I will give this viewpoint credence

trophycue
10-13-2017, 12:42 PM
Buddy bought a Kenny Murrell for some ridiculous price . We did a blind test........$1600 Murrell, $50 dufferin sneaky pete, no collars.......while blindfiolded ,4 of 4 of the best players in the room picked the dufferin . Honestly, the Murrell was beautiful wood, but the hit and feel just were not there.

Straightpool_99
10-13-2017, 05:09 PM
"Generic" cue you say? If by that you mean "off brand" then I don't really know that many. Some of the lower end of more known brands are surprisingly good. I don't know if I've ever tried a cue cheaper than 100 bucks that was really nice hitting. Those cheap cues usually vibrate too much and have bad, soft shaftwood. They will play ok, though. I have no trouble recommending Players HXT or Cuetec r360 for their playing qualities but to me they feel really cheap. If the feel matters to you, that should be taken into account.

I tried an Elite cue that had some kind of knockoff Radial joint that I thought hit ok. I belive it was just over 100 dollars, may just have been a golden example, though. A relatively inexpensive cue is the McDermott low end G-series. Some of those cues feel like expensive ones. All the cheap cues I've tried (and I've tried most of the common brands) hit like cheap hunks of sh..Once you've tried as many as I have you instantly recognize the cheapness, especially with metal jointed cues. Apparently they are harder to do properly? The only cues that sometimes surprise me a little are "sneaky" style cues. That would be the best bet, I think, for a cheap cue that hits like an expensive one. Doesn't have to be a custom "conversion" either. Just any full splice, wooden jointed cue or even just a wooden jointed cue.. The only factor that will make or break it is wood quality, and you can get lucky sometimes.

I tried the import McDermott cues. Bought a "Lucky" cue for myself. All the glue joints failed. The ferrule fell off, the joint collar fell off and the internal glueing failed so the cue got a nasty click...You get what you pay for, sometimes much less! That was 40 dollars wasted! The Star cue I tried hit like a 2 by 4. No feel what so ever, stiff but not in a good way. Couldn't run 3 balls with that cue if my life depended on it. I don't like Vikings Valhalla line either. Low end "regular" Vikings are ok, though.

Lucasi cues are quite expensive now, but when they used to be cheap they were pretty good value for money. Now they are as expensive as Mezz cues! No question which way you should go if those two are your choice.

I bought some cues from the Phillipines...They were not exactly laser straight but a couple of those cues were great hitting! It was hit-or-miss with those cues, though.

Cornerman
10-13-2017, 10:01 PM
I guess i dont understand what Justin means by "generic."

Is Dufferin or a Huebler sneaky pete "generic"? Or is he talking about a no logo cue from Walmart?

My Mcdermott-designed Nitro cue from China in all its decal glory still has its $40 price sticker on it. Great hitting cue. Is that "generic"?

Ched
10-13-2017, 10:40 PM
I'm also not sure about what qualifies as "generic", but I think I get the gist. I have a $40 Rage SP that is one of my favorite cues to shoot with. It's not my Joss; but I'd take it over my Schon, Meucci or McDermott cues 6 days and 23 hours a week.
edit: Also really like my Dufferin a lot.

Mr. Bond
10-13-2017, 11:43 PM

Is Dufferin or a Huebler sneaky pete "generic"? Or is he talking about a no logo cue from Walmart?

My Mcdermott-designed Nitro cue from China in all its decal glory still has its $40 price sticker on it. Great hitting cue. Is that "generic"?

Old school. Ive won more sets with a (house) dufferin and master chalk

Maxx
10-14-2017, 05:42 AM
Old school. Ive won more sets with a (house) dufferin and master chalk

Used to find that perfect house cue and get the tip just right. Just put a little mark on the butt so you could find it in the rack easier.

Then one day it would either be gone or some knucklehead had either broken it or messed up the tip, then the search started over.

ceebee
10-14-2017, 09:04 AM
I have an Excaliber (branded on the side) House Cue, that plays great. I use it as a practice cue on my home tables.

Icon of Sin
10-14-2017, 09:37 AM

Yeah, don't send him our way please...

justinb386
10-14-2017, 02:41 PM
I have not visited that forum in the last few months.....unless it has done a complete 180 you dont want to join that forum Justin....trust me.

Nothing wrong with that forum as far as I am concerned its not for people who easily get their feelings hurt.. There is no moderation there to speak of. Any thing goes more or less. The reason that website exists is because jimbo did not like the moderation here.

The comments people make here are tame compared to the comments you would receive there.

This place has very little and uncaring moderation also. I do not see how that forum could be much worse. Plus, they would not know me on there, unless they were members here and recognized my style of writing.

justinb386
10-14-2017, 03:02 PM
"Generic" cue you say? If by that you mean "off brand" then I don't really know that many. Some of the lower end of more known brands are surprisingly good. I don't know if I've ever tried a cue cheaper than 100 bucks that was really nice hitting. Those cheap cues usually vibrate too much and have bad, soft shaftwood. They will play ok, though. I have no trouble recommending Players HXT or Cuetec r360 for their playing qualities but to me they feel really cheap. If the feel matters to you, that should be taken into account.

I tried an Elite cue that had some kind of knockoff Radial joint that I thought hit ok. I belive it was just over 100 dollars, may just have been a golden example, though. A relatively inexpensive cue is the McDermott low end G-series. Some of those cues feel like expensive ones. All the cheap cues I've tried (and I've tried most of the common brands) hit like cheap hunks of sh..Once you've tried as many as I have you instantly recognize the cheapness, especially with metal jointed cues. Apparently they are harder to do properly? The only cues that sometimes surprise me a little are "sneaky" style cues. That would be the best bet, I think, for a cheap cue that hits like an expensive one. Doesn't have to be a custom "conversion" either. Just any full splice, wooden jointed cue or even just a wooden jointed cue.. The only factor that will make or break it is wood quality, and you can get lucky sometimes.

I tried the import McDermott cues. Bought a "Lucky" cue for myself. All the glue joints failed. The ferrule fell off, the joint collar fell off and the internal glueing failed so the cue got a nasty click...You get what you pay for, sometimes much less! That was 40 dollars wasted! The Star cue I tried hit like a 2 by 4. No feel what so ever, stiff but not in a good way. Couldn't run 3 balls with that cue if my life depended on it. I don't like Vikings Valhalla line either. Low end "regular" Vikings are ok, though.

Lucasi cues are quite expensive now, but when they used to be cheap they were pretty good value for money. Now they are as expensive as Mezz cues! No question which way you should go if those two are your choice.

I bought some cues from the Phillipines...They were not exactly laser straight but a couple of those cues were great hitting! It was hit-or-miss with those cues, though.

Thanks for all of that info. I seem to think that anything with a Radial Pin joint is going to hit really nice, and in my experience, the Radial Pin cues I have tried I really liked. Diveney was the best hitting cue I ever hit with..Amazing feel, and really great hit, and great feedback. If I can ever save the money, I will get a Diveney..Never owned one. One got to hit a few balls with one, one time. Really loved it. Too expensive for me though.

I thought a lot about buying this Radial Pin Hercules cue, but I could not find any reviews on it.

http://www.shootersbilliards.com/Hercules-Pool-Cue-H303.html

I thought it might be a nice hitting cue.

justinb386
10-14-2017, 03:05 PM

by generic, I mean either no logo production cues (not anything with a name brand on it), or copycat cues, from Chinese cue makers who try to copy other cues (possibly as best as they can).

lorider
10-14-2017, 03:50 PM
by generic, I mean either no logo production cues (not anything with a name brand on it), or copycat cues, from Chinese cue makers who try to copy other cues (possibly as best as they can).

Justin I.know you want a pretty nice cue that plays good. What I mean by nice is a certain look with certain woods and most of the ones you prefer are out of your price range. Nothing wrong with wanting something you can't afford .....people window shop all the time . Many people on here have given you good advice on here the last couple of years....including me. I am not going to give you advice now because I have done it before. I am just going to give you food for thought..

I currently have several cues that I switch up playing with every now and then. Each cue is different but it never takes me more than a rack to get in stroke with each one.

The highest priced cue i now own cost 500.00. I sold my custom for 2,500.00 and bought a used meucci gambler for 200.00 and play well enough with it to get raised from a 5 to a 6 after I started shooting with it..

You continually talk about wanting a good playing cue.. Now I know not every one is going to agree with me on what I am about to say and I do agree there are exceptions. Play and hit go hand in hand. If you dont like how a cue hits you are not going to play good with it. I play pretty much the same with all my cues except one.

It is nothing like the rest of my cues which are ....meucci...adams/ helmstetter....mcdermott...and a couple of players. They all have whatever tips that come from the factory except the meucci that has a kamui clear soft.

My best playing cue believe it or not is a 21 oz imperial sneaky Pete that I bought brand new for 20.00 4 years ago. I am dead serious when I say that is my bed playing cue . I only use it for higher level tournaments in apa. It is 4 years old ...just as straight as the day I bought it and the finish is just as good as when i bought it also..

How good does it play ? Remember I only hit a couple of racks with it before I went to apa.nationals. In mu first ever match at nationals with a cue I had only hit a couple of racks with I skunked another 5 ...20-0.. I won 38-4 in a 38-38 race. That cue is not worth the cost of shipping to most people but I will never part with it..

Just food for thought during your quest for your perfect cue.

justinb386
10-14-2017, 04:16 PM
Buddy bought a Kenny Murrell for some ridiculous price . We did a blind test........$1600 Murrell, $50 dufferin sneaky pete, no collars.......while blindfiolded ,4 of 4 of the best players in the room picked the dufferin . Honestly, the Murrell was beautiful wood, but the hit and feel just were not there.

The the really horrible taper in the Dufferin sneaky did not make a difference? I never liked any that I ever tried, as a kid, back in the 90's.

justinb386
10-14-2017, 04:19 PM
I'm also not sure about what qualifies as "generic", but I think I get the gist. I have a $40 Rage SP that is one of my favorite cues to shoot with. It's not my Joss; but I'd take it over my Schon, Meucci or McDermott cues 6 days and 23 hours a week.
edit: Also really like my Dufferin a lot.

Unbelievable.

justinb386
10-14-2017, 04:22 PM
Yeah, don't send him our way please...

It could not be that bad. Just pool players being their typical selves, right?

justinb386
10-14-2017, 04:31 PM
Justin I.know you want a pretty nice cue that plays good. What I mean by nice is a certain look with certain woods and most of the ones you prefer are out of your price range. Nothing wrong with wanting something you can't afford .....people window shop all the time . Many people on here have given you good advice on here the last couple of years....including me. I am not going to give you advice now because I have done it before. I am just going to give you food for thought..

I currently have several cues that I switch up playing with every now and then. Each cue is different but it never takes me more than a rack to get in stroke with each one.

The highest priced cue i now own cost 500.00. I sold my custom for 2,500.00 and bought a used meucci gambler for 200.00 and play well enough with it to get raised from a 5 to a 6 after I started shooting with it..

You continually talk about wanting a good playing cue.. Now I know not every one is going to agree with me on what I am about to say and I do agree there are exceptions. Play and hit go hand in hand. If you dont like how a cue hits you are not going to play good with it. I play pretty much the same with all my cues except one.

It is nothing like the rest of my cues which are ....meucci...adams/ helmstetter....mcdermott...and a couple of players. They all have whatever tips that come from the factory except the meucci that has a kamui clear soft.

My best playing cue believe it or not is a 21 oz imperial sneaky Pete that I bought brand new for 20.00 4 years ago. I am dead serious when I say that is my bed playing cue . I only use it for higher level tournaments in apa. It is 4 years old ...just as straight as the day I bought it and the finish is just as good as when i bought it also..

How good does it play ? Remember I only hit a couple of racks with it before I went to apa.nationals. In mu first ever match at nationals with a cue I had only hit a couple of racks with I skunked another 5 ...20-0.. I won 38-4 in a 38-38 race. That cue is not worth the cost of shipping to most people but I will never part with it..

Just food for thought during your quest for your perfect cue.

That is very interesting. The only thing I really hate about most super cheap cues (in the less then $100 price range), is the really horrible taper, and the poor quality of the shaft. I once hit with a $50 cue (production cue from the Philippines), that I thought hit amazing, and had a really great long taper in the shaft (similar to Meucci), and I really loved it. I was not for sale though, and only got to shoot a few games with it.

Straightpool_99
10-14-2017, 06:09 PM
That is very interesting. The only thing I really hate about most super cheap cues (in the less then $100 price range), is the really horrible taper, and the poor quality of the shaft. I once hit with a $50 cue (production cue from the Philippines), that I thought hit amazing, and had a really great long taper in the shaft (similar to Meucci), and I really loved it. I was not for sale though, and only got to shoot a few games with it.

I don't really know what you are looking for? An inexpensive cue to shoot with, that is also great? What happens when someone offers you 300 dollars for it? You sell it, and then what? The search starts all over again. Then you buy some disappointing cue, you sell it at a loss and you are right back where you started, maybe even worse off!

I think you should buy that cue you linked. Play with it until it's like an extension of your arm. Then never sell it.

I've bought and sold tons of cues for myself. I have owned 7-8 cues that were good enough to keep for the rest of my life, yet I stupidly sold them. It's completely pointless waste of money. One of my friends has had the same cue for 10+ years, a McDermott. The cue is great and the level of his play is stellar. He has probably saved 2-3k dollars, maybe more from just keeping that cue rather than buying and selling at a loss. No matter how expensive a cue is, it will never be as expensive as spending years buying and selling cheap cues that you are forced to sell at a loss or at best even.

If you are after something really specific, I suggest you go to Billiards warehouse and check out Schmelke cues. Find the one you like the looks off and customize the joint/grip and everything else to your liking. They offer Radial compatible joint pins, you know. Add a predator shaft or OB shaft or whatever if you want, or get a custom diameter shaft from Schmelke. Get the length you like, the weight you like. If you go completely nuts with it, it might cost you 400-500 dollars, or a lot less if you are smart about it. Still you'll save thousands if you keep that cue rather than trading constantly, bleeding money like a poker fish.

Personally, I really like this one:
http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/schmelke/schmelke_veneer-hoppe-2.htm
I'd get it with the Radial style joint pin, in 60 inches, 18.5 ounces with a 12.5 mm shaft, then I'd be all set for my tastes. Might add a leather grip, but I'm not sure, the linen is nice too. All of that customizing and the total prize is 320 dollars(ish), 385 with leather!

Ched
10-14-2017, 06:30 PM
Unbelievable.

why? what don't you believe?

Cornerman
10-14-2017, 06:59 PM
The the really horrible taper in the Dufferin sneaky did not make a difference? I never liked any that I ever tried, as a kid, back in the 90's.

It's replies like this that really piss people off about you. What, four or more people just gave you the same Dufferin SP answer, and you come back with "the really horrible taper did not make a difference? " question.

Did it not occur to you that we don't think it has a horrible taper? Or are you that out of it to think that we all believe the taper is horrible, but we just dealt with it? Are you really that out of touch?

We gave you answers after the thread pointing out all the challenges posters have with you, and you still shit on the answers.

Freddie <~~~ unbelievable is right

Cornerman
10-14-2017, 07:03 PM
This place has very little and uncaring moderation also. I do not see how that forum could be much worse. Plus, they would not know me on there, unless they were members here and recognized my style of writing.

Jeezus. Just about every member "there" is a member here.

mchnhed
10-14-2017, 08:11 PM
I once hit with a $50 production cue from the Philippines that I thought hit amazing and I really loved it.
It was not for sale though.
Did you get the name of the cue?
Did you ask what city it was made in?
Have you searched google for the maker?

Slim Limpy
10-14-2017, 09:13 PM

justinb386
10-14-2017, 09:20 PM
why? what don't you believe?

I am sorry. Just very hard to believe that a Rage sneaky pete cue would be preferable to a Schon, Meucci, or a McDermott. I do not know for sure, but I think I would probably hate the taper on the stock shafts that come with those Rage sneaky pete cues. The taper probably gets fat very quick. I like a nice long taper (at least as long as a Joss style taper for example). That is just me. I actually prefer a much longer taper (Meucci style / 16 to 18 inch taper?). If those super cheap sneaky pete cues had a much longer taper, then I might like them. The wood quality in those shafts is also probably very poor (so probably not worth paying like $40 or $50 just for a re taper from a pro).

justinb386
10-14-2017, 09:24 PM
It's replies like this that really piss people off about you. What, four or more people just gave you the same Dufferin SP answer, and you come back with "the really horrible taper did not make a difference? " question.

Did it not occur to you that we don't think it has a horrible taper? Or are you that out of it to think that we all believe the taper is horrible, but we just dealt with it? Are you really that out of touch?

We gave you answers after the thread pointing out all the challenges posters have with you, and you still shit on the answers.

Freddie <~~~ unbelievable is right

Okay, well, I guess they do not mind a super stiff type of taper then. Very sorry, those type of tapers just are not for me (the type that start getting much thicker about half way down the shaft, or maybe not even half way down). They (the type of tapers in the shafts) have been pretty lousy (in my opinion) on most of the really cheap cues I ever seen. I guess the old Dufferin sneaky was not that bad. That was actually the 1st cue I ever purchased (for $60), back in around 1995. When I was eventually able to get a Joss sneaky, I was super happy. Those were really great cues (still are).

I am really sorry if I pissed you, or anyone else off.

It was not my intention.

justinb386
10-14-2017, 09:29 PM
Jeezus. Just about every member "there" is a member here.

What is the point in going there then? Because it is not moderated (no rules / say and speak your mind, no matter what it may be?)?

JC
10-14-2017, 09:34 PM
This place has very little and uncaring moderation also. I do not see how that forum could be much worse.

It would be a feeding frenzy where your bones would be picked clean in short order.

JC

justinb386
10-14-2017, 09:35 PM
Did you get the name of the cue?
Did you ask what city it was made in?
Have you searched google for the maker?

I do not think it had a name (just a super cheap production cue, from the Philippines). It looked super cheap too. It had a nice very thin handle though, and a super long taper in the shaft. That cue hit amazing (in my opinion). I was feeling really good, and confident with it (while I was getting out, from everywhere). All that I can remember, is that it was really flashy looking (but in a cheap kind of way), kind of like this one for example.

https://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/product_view/acbestseller2175/7160221/boriz_billiards_snake_skin_pool_cue_stick_original _inlays_new/handmade/woodworking/other

Not sure if the inlays were real, or not. They may have been. The guy told me that his wholesale price on them was $50 I think, so he may have been trying to resale them for like a $100.

justinb386
10-14-2017, 09:43 PM
It would be a feeding frenzy where your bones would be picked clean in short order.

JC

Are you a member there? I imagine that I would just have to be really careful about the way I post, and the types of questions I ask. Are the guys there really that nasty? Do they cuss at others, and say all different types of nasty things, or what?

JC
10-14-2017, 09:49 PM
Are you a member there? I imagine that I would just have to be really careful about the way I post, and the types of questions I ask. Are the guys there really that nasty? Do they cuss at others, and say all different types of nasty things, or what?

Since you are a masochist I highly recommend you give it a look.

If someone asks why you did it just say "beats me"

JC

lorider
10-14-2017, 10:26 PM

I visited the site today and browsed through 4-5 threads that interested me.

If the words c**k sucker and mother fvcker do not offend you then go ahead and check it out .

Btw. Those words were not spelled the same way I typed them.

Ched
10-14-2017, 11:29 PM
Judging from the time-stamps - it doesn't seem to be a very active site.

justinb386
10-15-2017, 12:20 AM
I visited the site today and browsed through 4-5 threads that interested me.

If the words c**k sucker and mother fvcker do not offend you then go ahead and check it out .

Btw. Those words were not spelled the same way I typed them.

Lol, no, those words would not offend me in the least bit. To be honest, I only get mentally hurt when I feel that the person might be right about what they are saying about me (it is only hurtful if I feel that it might be true, or if they offend me in some other way that makes me feel stupid). If you were to call me a c..k s.cker, or a m.ther f...ker, then I would just laugh about it, lol.

JC
10-15-2017, 09:24 AM
To be honest, I only get mentally hurt when I feel that the person might be right about what they are saying about me (it is only hurtful if I feel that it might be true, or if they offend me in some other way that makes me feel stupid).

This would be your daily life there.

Stay away son, stay far away.

JC

mchnhed
10-15-2017, 09:34 AM
I do not think it had a name (just a super cheap production cue, from the Philippines). It looked super cheap too. It had a nice very thin handle though, and a super long taper in the shaft. That cue hit amazing (in my opinion). I was feeling really good, and confident with it (while I was getting out, from everywhere). All that I can remember, is that it was really flashy looking (but in a cheap kind of way), kind of like this one for example.

https://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/product_view/acbestseller2175/7160221/boriz_billiards_snake_skin_pool_cue_stick_original _inlays_new/handmade/woodworking/other

Not sure if the inlays were real, or not. They may have been. The guy told me that his wholesale price on them was $50 I think, so......... he may have been trying to resale them for like a $100.

And so...... you bought one correct?

justinb386
10-15-2017, 10:31 PM
And so...... you bought one correct?

I had a Joss cue at that time, but I think I was really broke. I remember that I was so broke, that I sold one of the 2 shafts that I had for my Joss to a guy for $30, just so I could get myself something to eat (it was on a road trip to a tournament, about an hour away from home).

SPDR9
10-16-2017, 10:27 AM
I got a blank from cue components I think and hand someone turn it down and throw a joint and but cap on it and use an OB 2 shaft. I have had many Scruggs cues had McDermott custom make me a cue and several others but always go back to shooting with piece together cue.

JD

Icon of Sin
10-16-2017, 11:30 AM
What is the point in going there then? Because it is not moderated (no rules / say and speak your mind, no matter what it may be?)?
My reason for going there is because I am personal friends with the main members of the community there. I look forward to seeing them once or twice a year at different events.

Koop
10-16-2017, 12:13 PM
#uselessthread

Cornerman
10-16-2017, 12:58 PM

Camaraderie, lots of cue and cue show discussion, talks about drinking, more real-world shooting discussion instead of fantasy paper discussion.

Several of the world's best cuemakers post "there" as part of the group (as opposed to just coming in once in a while because someone enticed them with a question.

BmoreMoney
10-16-2017, 01:28 PM
I got a blank from cue components I think and hand someone turn it down and throw a joint and but cap on it and use an OB 2 shaft. I have had many Scruggs cues had McDermott custom make me a cue and several others but always go back to shooting with piece together cue.

JD

Supposedly, aren't Cue Components rip off artists selling counterfeit gear and what not? Or is it was cheap and ya don't care or whatever ? I've had no dealings with them, only basing my statement of off dozens of others....

JoeyInCali
10-16-2017, 03:26 PM
#uselessthread

I take it you're not going to search some $50 cue with " long taper " and super glued inlays ?
Hey, it hits great.
Must be the cross-cut shaft.

justinb386
10-16-2017, 05:49 PM
Camaraderie, lots of cue and cue show discussion, talks about drinking, more real-world shooting discussion instead of fantasy paper discussion.

Several of the world's best cuemakers post "there" as part of the group (as opposed to just coming in once in a while because someone enticed them with a question.

I checked the forum out, and it appears to be pretty dead (not active at all). I am so used to receiving replies within a number of minutes, but on there, it might be at least a number of days, or weeks before getting a reply.

alstl
10-16-2017, 08:23 PM
I'm pretty sure the old timers like Mosconi, Crane, Balsis etc all started out with "generic" cues since there weren't really any custom cues at the time and they ran hundreds of balls.

I knew a guy who used a $50 dollar Players sneaky and played high level pool with it. I would say a custom cue gives you a much better chance of being a good playing cue but some cheap generic cues also play well.

Johnny Rosato
10-16-2017, 08:48 PM
You might oughta get a Full Splice Schmelke TRUE sneaky pete with 2 plain maple shafts. Tell them exactly what you want. Pretend you got your shit together while you're on the phone. You say David, here's what I want, get a pen in your hand and write this down, I'm in a hurry. Now, I want a full splice, bocote true sneaky with no logo and no weight bolt, 3/8x10 joint, 18-19oz. Pro 12"-15" taper on 2 shafts, with Le Pro tips,(LBM ferrules). 58" even split. Wrapless and no butt plate. I'm paying you $200 in full, it's already on the way. So go in the back & stop what they're doing & get on my cue, I want it Friday week! Thank you kindly !!!