PDA

View Full Version : Cue grip/handle height

AlienObserver
10-12-2017, 07:40 AM
Most cues have a section where there is a handle for the grip hand, whether it's with leather, linen wrap or even different wood. This is true for most production cues but for hand made ones as well.
I've always wandered why this grip section is so high in the vast majority of the cues, since most players grip their cues by almost the very end of the cue. Anyone has an idea? Wouldn't be more logical the grip section be a little lower and go all the way down to the butt end? (in some cues this is what happens, but as I said before this is true for the minority of the cues, not the majority..)

hang-the-9
10-12-2017, 07:56 AM
Most cues have a section where there is a handle for the grip hand, whether it's with leather, linen wrap or even different wood. This is true for most production cues but for hand made ones as well.
I've always wandered why this grip section is so high in the vast majority of the cues, since most players grip their cues by almost the very end of the cue. Anyone has an idea? Wouldn't be more logical the grip section be a little lower and go all the way down to the butt end? (in some cues this is what happens, but as I said before this is true for the minority of the cues, not the majority..)

I think the issue is more getting the correct length cue for your size and stance than the grip location on a standard 58" cue. There are a few cues I have seen made where the grip goes to the end of the cue, or close to it. Maybe it just looks odd the other way and takes away a point of design and decoration.

I find myself that a 30" shaft messes with my shooting, but a 30" butt does not, so anyone that does grip their cue far back but wants a normal feeling shaft, should use a split size, 30" butt and 29" shaft to get the correct grip placement on a normal grip location.

Texas Carom Club
10-12-2017, 07:58 AM
The angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the meat

captainjko
10-12-2017, 12:55 PM
I would think it is to cover people of different heights. A person 5’3” would grip near the front of handle area. Where as a 6’ person would grip near the back of handle.

JoeyInCali
10-12-2017, 01:01 PM
The butt has 3 sections.
The forearm is about a foot long.
Then the handle that is also a foot long.
Then the butt sleeve and plate which is about 5 inches long.
29" total for a 58" cue.

owll
10-12-2017, 03:07 PM
i think the handle section is setup the way it is for appearances.....it just looks nice and proportional that way.

pt109
10-12-2017, 03:57 PM
It's all Willie's fault....he recommended gripping the butt six inches from the balance point.

Buddy Hall likes to hold a cue long...'cause he was The Rifleman...his forte, long shots.
..willie was shorter, and at straight pool, tended to work in close.
Buddy had Bludworth make him a cue with the linen almost to the butt plate.

...I copied that with a Jensen...I like to hold the cue long for long shots...dead ball.
...I hold it shorter to spin.

Ralph Kramden
10-12-2017, 04:41 PM
The angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the meat
which is greatly influenced by the mazz of the azz.