PDA

View Full Version : Is playing the ghost the best way to guage your true handicap

Jdm34
10-13-2017, 06:34 AM
any other opions would be great how

hang-the-9
10-13-2017, 06:51 AM
Roughly yes. For under A level you may not want to start with the 9 ball ghost.

I am a B+ (550-560 Fargo right now) and can beat the 7 ball ghost more than half the time. A level players, about 600 to 700 or just under, should be able to beat the 8 or 9 ball ghost.

You can also play straight pool and see how high of a run you can get to. I would say a C would have a tough time getting through a single rack, B should be able to get into two racks, maybe 3 if they play a lot of straight pool. If you can run 40+ balls almost every time, that is getting to be into A level. I find that a lot of B players, even though they are good shooters, end up with a 2 rack or even one rack run more often than not due to a small position error that end up messing up the break ball or causing a miss due to a tough shot or tough position.

Black-Balled
10-13-2017, 07:58 AM
I would say no...unless you consider cost a factor.

Tournaments or gambling are better, because you cannot win either without executing to a certain level.

The ghost is a far more controlled exercise and purely offense. Does not call on a lot of skills that great players develop out of need.

WoodyMPW
10-13-2017, 08:03 AM
Not even close.

Bob Jewett
10-13-2017, 08:24 AM
any other opions would be great how
Check out the Billiard University exams. It scores a lot of situations including safety play.

As others have said, the game is played against an opponent. Formal skill tests, such as 9-ball Ghost, Equal Offense, Fargo, Hopkins' Q-Skill, and others listed on Dr. Dave's site (http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/drills.html), will all give a rough indication of how you play.

If you can't average 3 balls at Equal Offense, you don't play very well. If you consistently score over 150 in 10 turns, you should win most local tournaments.

Dimeball
10-13-2017, 11:05 AM
Hi,
I have found that playing the ghost in sets, such as race to 9, or 6 ahead sets, are good practice if you can mentally create the competition feel. After a time, the ghost, especially break ball in hand, gets easier because of comfort, or, lack of pressure to perform. Anyway, I still think playing the ghost can help with confidence if one is down for some reason. Win a few sets and you feel like you are playing good, not missing, thus a positive is created in your mind which could help someone get out of a slump. Hope that helps.

easy-e
10-13-2017, 11:50 AM
Roughly yes. For under A level you may not want to start with the 9 ball ghost.

I am a B+ (550-560 Fargo right now) and can beat the 7 ball ghost more than half the time. A level players, about 600 to 700 or just under, should be able to beat the 8 or 9 ball ghost.

You can also play straight pool and see how high of a run you can get to. I would say a C would have a tough time getting through a single rack, B should be able to get into two racks, maybe 3 if they play a lot of straight pool. If you can run 40+ balls almost every time, that is getting to be into A level. I find that a lot of B players, even though they are good shooters, end up with a 2 rack or even one rack run more often than not due to a small position error that end up messing up the break ball or causing a miss due to a tough shot or tough position.

Sorry man, I play a lot of straight pool and 40+ balls almost every time is completely out of line to be an A player. If I had a nice, loose Gold Crown It'd be tough to get into the 3rd rack half the time for me, and I consider myself an "A" player.

Koop
10-13-2017, 01:25 PM
Sorry man, I play a lot of straight pool and 40+ balls almost every time is completely out of line to be an A player. If I had a nice, loose Gold Crown It'd be tough to get into the 3rd rack half the time for me, and I consider myself an "A" player.

I consider you way better than an average A player. You almost took down Nelson playing race to 9 even and he's Open.

Koop
10-13-2017, 01:27 PM
I would say no...unless you consider cost a factor.

Tournaments or gambling are better, because you cannot win either without executing to a certain level.

The ghost is a far more controlled exercise and purely offense. Does not call on a lot of skills that great players develop out of need.

Why bother typing when I can just say...^^^^THIS^^^^

grindz
10-13-2017, 03:43 PM
It's a good test of your offense....

It also is a good test to show you where your offense is weak...

Not a good test of defense, kicking, safety play, which are a
Huge part of most games.

TD

iusedtoberich
10-13-2017, 04:02 PM
Yes, for lower level players. In general, your ghost performance is going to be the same as your pecking order in the pool hall.

Some exceptions, for sure. There are some people who crack under gambling pressure, but do great practicing solo. But, these are exceptions.

A players, will mop the floor with the ghost, and C players, won't ever beat it in their life. B players will win some sets, and lose some sets. D players, won't even get to the 2 ball in most of the racks.

Now, at A and above, it is probably not that useful. An A might beat it 7-2, and a touring pro might beat it 7-1. Its too easy to show the skill difference at high levels. But at anything under an A level, I think it speaks volumes.

As mentioned earlier, it also only measures offense. But, usually, a players entire game will come up at about the same rate. As their offense improves, so does their defense. Their position play. Their kicking. Their breaking. Etc. Again, there are exceptions, but most players I've played have a reasonably in-balance game.

PS, all the above is for the 9 ball ghost.

IMO always:)