PDA

View Full Version : playing in a tournament this weekend

lorider
10-13-2017, 11:51 PM
I just started a thread the other day about losing my love for the game. I get asked to play In a team tournament this weekend and I say ok. Makes a lot of sense don't it.

I knew nothing about this tournament until I get there. Kind of mixed thoughts between wth did I get myself into and yay....its not just your average run of the mill local tournament.

I walk in and the place is packed. Saw more people I don't know than ones I do know. Find out this tournament drew people from all over this neck of the woods and Arkansas....middle and east tennessee and even Missouri..decent money in the Calcutta from what I heard. One team went for 1,000.00.amd several approaching that number. Dont know how many teams are in it.....never asked.

I had a.chance to read some of the rules on a flyer. Call pocket....sounds good. No jump cues...ok.by me. Call shot -call.safe...no problem. When on the 8 ball make sure your opponent knows where you are going with it before you shoot...sounds good. When 2 balls are close together and may foul het a ref before you shoot....ok. If 2 balls are frozen dont even bother callin a ref??? No ****Ing about the handicaps....lol

Seems like there are quite a few strong players in it..a.heck of a lot of non league players and several strong league players that I knew. Talking about 7/8's and 7/9's ..

So how did I do tonight ? Lost hill- hill to a non league player I know in a 5-3 race with me going to 3 of course. I had my chance to win it but screwed up a safe on my last ball and gave him a look see at one of his 3 remaining balls and he runs out to get on the hill himself. Last rack is a safety battle and I scratch off my last ball while banking my next to last ball after he played a safe. The tournament director was standing there watching and said I got robbed . I said well I know that is supposed to make.me feel better but the cue ball went where I hit it. He said yea but that was a heck of a shot. Told him I did not have any options but to make that shot lol. Oh yea...the rest of the team did not do much better. Gonna try to fight back up through the b bracket tomorrow.

Definitely enjoying this more than a night at league.

Speaking of tough players. I saw this kid from Crossville TN. .... Somewhere over towards eastern TN. I believe that impressed the heck out of me playing on a gold crown against this apa 7 I know. The kid couldn't be more than 12 and was beating the heck out of my friend playing 9 ball. Gonna be the next sky Woodward if he keeps it up.

Coop1701
10-14-2017, 07:33 PM
Good Job Pal...., I like playing tournaments like that. I played one this afternoon with a friend. We typically play really well doubles. But today was 8 ball doubles and we did not perform. Not sure why. We just didnít.

I guess some days you get the Bear..., other days the Bear gets you.

I was disappointed and makes me want to work that much harder on my game.

lorider
10-14-2017, 08:14 PM
Good Job Pal...., I like playing tournaments like that. I played one this afternoon with a friend. We typically play really well doubles. But today was 8 ball doubles and we did not perform. Not sure why. We just didnít.

I guess some days you get the Bear..., other days the Bear gets you.

I was disappointed and makes me want to work that much harder on my game.

I have played in a few tournaments around here with what I thought are pretty good players in it. Like apa 7's and some that were from other areas 3-4 hours away that were pretty darn strong also.

This was my first tournament with a lot of strong out of town players . Like I said ...fdkm Missouri....eastern TN. And over in Arkansas.

The handicaps for this tournament ranged from 2-7 that I saw. Dont know what the limit was . Just noticed only one 7 in it.

Every player on my team was also ranked a 3. Not complaining but I was ranked at the same handicap as my team mates. Not complaining at all but I was surprised that being an apa 5/5 I was ranked the same as two 7/8's and two 6/6's lol.

Actually I kinda felt a lil proud that the tournament director who knows me very well thought enough of my game to rank me up there with 7/8's . Btw I saw several other 7/8's ranked a 3 also so at less he was consistent except with me of course lol.

Well I did make it to the hill yesterday against a 5 who is not a league player so I honestly dont know what his s/l would be but he was ranked 2 levels higher than known 7/8's so that gives an indication of his playing ability. Really should have won that match but messed up on my last ball in 2 racks.

How our 7/8's fared should give an indication of how I played. Remember we are all rated 3's. One 7/8 lost 4-1 to a 4. The other 7/8 lost 6/1 to a 6.

Our 7/7 won 3-2 vs another 3. Our 6/7 won 3-1 vs a 2. Our 6/6 lost 2/2 vs a 2 . So compared to them I played damn good in my one match. Did not play today. We played our 6/6 who did not play yesterday. The one that lost to their 2.

I guess the tournament director does know what I am capable of lol. Then again my ranking might have been a result of shutting out his 7/8 in tap finals a couple weeks ago lol.

Looking forward to playing in a few more tournaments. Actually a team mate wants me to play in the captain / co captain doubles tournament in a couple weeks. Never played partners with him before. Just might do that.