PDA

View Full Version : Okay, NO elbow drop, hand hits chest, but???

Prairie dog
10-22-2017, 04:14 PM
I'm back into the forehand swinging without the elbow dropping. I can make balls this way and only this way as I found out today. But, how do you make a nice shot and ease the CB forward 4 or 5 diamonds, when the CB went from high to low, with the elbow dropping and the hand hitting the chest and the CB on the table cloth. THIS is a downward stroke. I can stop the ball, move it forward a diamond or so.... THIS is the reason I ventured away from it. How does one keep the CB on high english and follow through? I don't think any of the Mosconi pros have NO elbow dropping, but I'm not in that category. I'm sure this has been discussed before but please enlighten me.

KenRobbins
10-22-2017, 04:26 PM
No need to hit hard enough to cause elbow drop to roll cue ball forward 4 to 5 diamonds. It's all in the stroke and tip placement. I deleted the drill posted because I don't think I can post it without permission. Try hitting two tips above center when shooting the shot, stroke it like your lagging for the break and adjust from there. It may take a thousand shots until you get the perfect feel for it.

bbb
10-22-2017, 05:11 PM
dennis
if your forearm is perpendicular at contact
you will hit where you want and not be "hitting down"
talk to robin
i am not an instructor
icbw

boogeyman
10-22-2017, 05:13 PM
I'm back into the forehand swinging without the elbow dropping. I can make balls this way and only this way as I found out today. But, how do you make a nice shot and ease the CB forward 4 or 5 diamonds, when the CB went from high to low, with the elbow dropping and the hand hitting the chest and the CB on the table cloth. THIS is a downward stroke. I can stop the ball, move it forward a diamond or so.... THIS is the reason I ventured away from it. How does one keep the CB on high english and follow through? I don't think any of the Mosconi pros have NO elbow dropping, but I'm not in that category. I'm sure this has been discussed before but please enlighten me.

denwhit, first of all, don't worry about "elbow drop."
Just hit through the shot and focus on smoothness.

Second of all, read George Fells (sp?) book, Mastering Pool.
The beginning of this book speaks to your concern in your OP.
According to Mr. Fells, most of us are hitting "whitey" too hard.

bbb
10-22-2017, 05:14 PM
why do ask these questions here ??
you have robin
spin questions
cte
i understand asking here
but this question....:confused::confused::confused:

Prairie dog
10-22-2017, 06:03 PM
why do ask these questions here ??
you have robin
spin questions
cte
i understand asking here
but this question....:confused::confused::confused:

My last five or six matches have me missing shots I used to can. Come to find out, I've been NOT keeping my elbow high and just powering through. I can not play without a high held elbow. Lesson on Tuesday, but I wanted to know some other concerns as I laid out in the OP.

Dan White
10-22-2017, 06:12 PM
My last five or six matches have me missing shots I used to can. Come to find out, I've been NOT keeping my elbow high and just powering through. I can not play without a high held elbow. Lesson on Tuesday, but I wanted to know some other concerns as I laid out in the OP.

I play more consistently and my cb control is better when the elbow doesn't move. I think for most pro's it doesn't move until after the cue ball is gone. bbb had it right. Make sure the forearm is perpendicular to the cloth at ball address. If you don't get good follow from there you may be gripping the cue, causing the butt to rise during the forward stroke.