PDA

View Full Version : wing shots

mikepage
11-15-2006, 06:15 AM
My new league teammate is a local bus driver who used to play pretty sporty.

After league last night, someone rolled a ball down the table and said, "here, make this!" Without missing a beat Mike made the "wing shot." Then he started rolling balls and made several more in a row. After not missing for several quick ones, someone said it looked too easy. Mike immediately said, "oh, you want it the hard way?" Then the next five balls he rolled down the table, each time swinging his stick around behind his back and drilling it in. He made four of the five.

Then he went on to chop-stick pool....

chefjeff
11-15-2006, 06:43 AM

After league last night, someone rolled a ball down the table and said, "here, make this!" Without missing a beat Mike made the "wing shot." Then he started rolling balls and made several more in a row. After not missing for several quick ones, someone said it looked too easy. Mike immediately said, "oh, you want it the hard way?" Then the next five balls he rolled down the table, each time swinging his stick around behind his back and drilling it in. He made four of the five.

Is his name Mike?

Jeff Livingston

Hal
11-15-2006, 07:17 AM
The trick is to roll them in a STRAIGHT line towards the same spot on the rail each time. For example, roll the object ball in a straight line from you towards the first diamond. It doesn't take very long to start making the ball.

huckster
11-15-2006, 11:00 AM
The most amazing wing shots I ever seen was performed by my Grandfather who even as an older gentleman could pop off from 10-15 in a row but the amazing one was rolling two balls downtable and making them in both corner pockets I seen him make five in a row that way on a tight brunswick. I used to love the proposition shots he would show me that he and Mr. Lassiter used to perform on the road. Another neat one that he did was spin the object ball the bank it into the rail he would call three and four, and five rail banks before he spun it. Try that sometime. He told me that Wimpy would juice spin it at the spot and my grandfather would shot a six rail bank into the bottom corner. They would take either odds on the shot or amount of tries. He told me he was about 80% on the shot. They would offer the shot to others 10 tries for X amount of $ and only one person ever did it. It was the first time I heard Eddie Taylor's name. He had his road partner at the time?? spin it and made it in the second or third shot.

RSB-Refugee
11-15-2006, 11:38 AM
The most amazing wing shots I ever seen was performed by my Grandfather who even as an older gentleman could pop off from 10-15 in a row but the amazing one was rolling two balls downtable and making them in both corner pockets I seen him make five in a row that way on a tight brunswick. I used to love the proposition shots he would show me that he and Mr. Lassiter used to perform on the road. Another neat one that he did was spin the object ball the bank it into the rail he would call three and four, and five rail banks before he spun it. Try that sometime. He told me that Wimpy would juice spin it at the spot and my grandfather would shot a six rail bank into the bottom corner. They would take either odds on the shot or amount of tries. He told me he was about 80% on the shot. They would offer the shot to others 10 tries for X amount of $ and only one person ever did it. It was the first time I heard Eddie Taylor's name. He had his road partner at the time?? spin it and made it in the second or third shot.
Onepocket.org has a list of nicknames. I submitted "Wingshot Willie", for your Grand Dad, but they did not add it. I love to hear stories of him, from the older guys.

Tracy

zeeder
11-15-2006, 11:42 AM
I had the pleasure of getting to see George Breedlove do some one-handed behind-the-back wing shots! Very impressive if I do say so myself.

RSB-Refugee
11-15-2006, 12:04 PM
I love to hear stories of him, from the older guys.

Huckster,
One of my favorites was about a proposition, to hit a golf ball across Meyer's Lake. I bet you have a ton of them. Do you live in Canton.

Tracy

huckster
11-16-2006, 05:12 AM
Huckster,
One of my favorites was about a proposition, to hit a golf ball across Meyer's Lake. I bet you have a ton of them. Do you live in Canton.

Tracy

Tracy,
That story was Baldy's (John Martino) favorite. I live in Alliance about 20 minutes from Canton. Baldy told me countless stories of my grandfather and Titanic Thompson. I have inherited many of his gambler traits. I am glad he passed his poker gene on to me. He always said he won 10 times as much money playing cards as pool that astonishes me today, I just put togather my 21st straight session of winning no limit poker in a row last night, and it makes me sad when I sit and watch thousands change hands at cards, but pool is lucky to get 20 a game action.
Did you live in Canton? Have we ever met? I spent a lot of my younger days in baldy's pool room I miss that time that was the last time I played serious pool around 12-15 years ago.

jay helfert
11-16-2006, 05:45 AM

Mike "Chewy" Chewakin

Only ERO's
11-16-2006, 06:58 AM
That would be him. Mike, how to you convince all these ringers to play on your teams?

mikepage
11-16-2006, 07:37 AM
That would be him. Mike, how to you convince all these ringers to play on your teams?

I think they're all sweet for me.

RSB-Refugee
11-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Did you live in Canton? Have we ever met? I spent a lot of my younger days in baldy's pool room I miss that time that was the last time I played serious pool around 12-15 years ago.
I live in Indiana. I was raised in Dover. My Dad lives in Canton now. I get over there a few times a year. I don't think I ever met you, but then again, I don't know your name. Is your name Willis? PM, if you don't want to post it.

Tracy

ericyow
11-18-2006, 07:33 PM
At the World Artistic Pool Championship Dec 8-10 in Fridley, MN (Two Stooges) they're having world record attempts of various shots. One is the wingshot - most made in a row rolled and shot past a cube of chalk on the foot spot (like in pro artistic competitions). It's only $10 to give it your best. My record's 19 (on youtube, if anyone cares). There are a lot of great players who shoot wingshots with a jawdropping percentage, for sure. The behind the back is fun. Tom Rossman shoots them one handed, behind the back, without looking, and I think balancing a running chainsaw on his forehead. ;)
-yowzilla!