PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Hall Book, Rages to Rifleman

Cocobolo Nut
11-15-2006, 08:04 AM
Think I have the title correct, is it totally out of print. Any suggestions on where a copy could be found?

!Smorgass Bored
11-15-2006, 08:14 AM
Think I have the title correct, is it totally out of print. Any suggestions on where a copy could be found?
Buddy Hall Book, Rages to Rifleman

LOL... your Freudian slip is showing. It's Rags To Rifleman and copies are very hard to find www.amazon.com/Buddy-Hall-Rags-Rifleman-Then/dp/B000BP3524
Doug

catscradle
11-15-2006, 08:14 AM

Yeah, watch ebay and be prepared to spend a lot of money, probably more than the book is worth IMO.
BTW, it is "Rags to Rifleman". The title refers to the fact that his father was a rag collector I think, or was that Kurt Douglas, doesn't matter.

!Smorgass Bored
11-15-2006, 08:16 AM
BTW, it is "Rags to Rifleman". The title refers to the fact that his father was a rag collector I think, or was that Kirk Douglas, doesn't matter.

LOL... It does to the CHILDREN.
Doug

gulfportdoc
11-15-2006, 06:49 PM
According to the book, the nickname "Rags" came about from describing a ragged pair of tennis shoes Buddy wore for awhile as a teenager in the poolroom. He reportedly hated the name, since it was taken as demeaning. "Rifleman" is a much more apt nickname, since Buddy shot down everybody in his era. He offered the World the 7 ball.

I think the volume is the best of all the books about pool players. Bob Henning of Bebob Publishing (author of "Cornbread Red", "The Pro Book", and others) owns the publishing rights to the Buddy Hall book. I asked him why he wouldn't re-publish it, since there seemed to be such a high demand for it. He said that the time and money it would take to bring the publication up to standard would make the project prohibitively expensive. He believed the book could potentially only sell in the neighborhood of 5000 copies at most; so therefore he wouldn't be able to recoup his costs. I'd sure love to see a new updated edition though! Perhaps one will be forthcoming when Buddy retires.

Doc

mattman
11-15-2006, 10:32 PM
Here is a signed copy......for $400....oooouch!!!
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&y=0&tn=rags+to+rifleman&x=0