PDA

View Full Version : What book(s) do you recommend for mental strengthening?

cbi1000
11-15-2006, 09:39 AM
What book(s) do you recommend for mental strengthening?

Thanks,

ARM9BALLER
11-15-2006, 09:47 AM
Inner game of Tennis

Jude Rosenstock
11-15-2006, 09:50 AM

Thanks,

The Inner Game of Tennis (http://www.theinnergame.com/html/Inner_Tennis_home.html)

Everything else out there is a distant second. This book is cheap, it's short and it's right to the point. The fact that it is not about pool is irrelevant. The guy is an expert in sports-psychology.

I'm fairly certain I've read every book that will be mentioned in this thread and none compare to this one.

JoeyA
11-15-2006, 09:51 AM

Thanks,

The book of HARD KNOCKS is hard to beat.
However, there are many Internet information solutions to help you with mental strengthing for athletes. Google them and have fun.
JoeyA

runscott
11-15-2006, 09:54 AM

Thanks,
Someone recommended "Pleasures of Small Motions" to me, and it has helped a lot. It's by Bob Fancher.

...and I have "Inner Game of Tennis".

cbi1000
11-15-2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks. I'll take a look.

Aaron_S
11-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Inner game of Tennis

+1

Aaron

CrownCityCorey
11-15-2006, 10:32 AM

Thanks,

There are a million of them:

Mind Gym
The Mental Edge
Inner Game of Tennis.............and so on.

My personal favorite

Golf is not a Game of perfect.

Snapshot9
11-15-2006, 10:37 AM
The Art of War by Sun Tzu. The applied strategic logic learned by this book will allow you to become a 'tougher' player simply by the decisions
you will make.

It will assist you in becoming a 'smarter' player.

Cornerman
11-15-2006, 11:04 AM
My question for those that recommend certain books is that did these books actually help? Or, are these books that upon reading, you agree with a lot of things in there or the book sheds light on certain aspects of your play?

Personally, I love Bob Fancher's book, but I can't say it's changed my game or helped my game. But, it's a damned good book nonetheless.

Fred

Jude Rosenstock
11-15-2006, 11:07 AM
My question for those that recommend certain books is that did these books actually help? Or, are these books that upon reading, you agree with a lot of things in there or the book sheds light on certain aspects of your play?

Personally, I love Bob Fancher's book, but I can't say it's changed my game or helped my game. But, it's a damned good book nonetheless.

Fred

My entire philosophy on shot-making is based on The Inner Game of Tennis. I'm dead serious. I've read the others (as I thought I'd be able to say) and you're right, they're interesting but not necessarily applicable.

runscott
11-15-2006, 12:51 PM

Fred

Fancher's book actually helped. It helped so much with my mental approach to pool that I referenced it in a running editorial that I wrote a few months ago about the 'inner' approach to various sports (mostly on the 2nd page).

http://OldSplice.homestead.com/files/Editorials/CRR_Editorial_May.pdf

AZE
11-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Pleasures of Small Motions....

Without a doubt.

skins
11-15-2006, 02:51 PM
the bible.

Tommy-D
11-15-2006, 04:05 PM
> In addition to The Inner Game of Tennis,and the others mentioned here,Zen And The Art of Archery is a fantastic read,dealing with letting go of the conscious effort and letting the subconscious do the work. Tommy D.

MHarris
11-15-2006, 04:09 PM
I just saw someone posted Zen in the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel.....one of the best reads out there.

Also, I'd recommend Mastery by George Leonard.

Pinocchio
11-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Proverbs King James Version.

Pinocchio

BigDaddyInc.
11-15-2006, 05:39 PM
I like "Point the way" by the monk i also have the inner game of tennis and it is great to. I think i'll check into some of the others mentioned here in this thread to.

duke@neo.rr.com
11-15-2006, 05:54 PM
anyone have a copy of this book "the inner game of tennis" they'd be willing to loan me or sell me? its like $12 through amazon...I googled lol

if I have 1 weakness in my game, its mental strength...anybody able to help me fix this or do I need to buy one from amazon?

VIProfessor
11-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Two books that I would add to the excellent list posted so far are The Pro Book by Bob Henning, and A Mind For Pool by Phil Capelle. Both of these books provide a good deal of useful information and the Pro Book in particular is filled with exercises to help develop your mental and emotional equilibrium and focus under match conditions.