PDA

View Full Version : Mosconi Cup 06 Predictions

Dazza
11-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Now the teams have been confirmed (www.mosconicup.com If you dont know who they are) Who do you like at this early stage?

Europe or America?

AzHousePro
11-15-2006, 11:14 AM
America all the way. Not just because I live here, but because I just don't think the European team is as strong as the US team.

I realize that there are already 2 Germans on the Euro team, but where is Thorsten? How about Appleton? He had a great US Open. Daryl Peach?

Mike

MyraCurfs
11-15-2006, 11:35 AM
i have to agree that the choices in names are a little strange. But i still think the Europeans are going to get it this time with Nick being the number one in europe at the moment...:D

Dazza
11-15-2006, 11:40 AM
The European has 5 new faces from last years team!!!

That amount of change could be what the Europeans need to win back the Mosconi Cup!?

MyraCurfs
11-15-2006, 11:52 AM
yeperdieyep..... Allthough an all Gb team would have done great aswell: Davis, Peach, Appelton, Gray, Boyes.... I would think the Gb team would have the best chance at this moment...

CaptainHook
11-15-2006, 12:00 PM
Woooooooooooo-Hoooooooooooooo my boy Corey is going.:D

USA all the way, look at the stats.:)

elizabeth
11-16-2006, 07:34 AM
Usa All The Way

Solartje
11-16-2006, 10:36 AM
i would have chosen maybe another team for europe, but its still a strong team.

i think europe will JUST lose it again, but closing the gap that has been for the last years. im sure that in 5years time, europe will be winning most of the Mosconi cups.

mmm wait. its played in rotterdam !!!!!!! thats a hole different thing.
my money is on europe !!!!! :D

after seeing the results if the americans in the wpc, i think europe has a good chance to get the trophy to europe.

anyone going to see it? im going to try and see some matches

supergreenman
11-16-2006, 11:57 AM
America all the way. Not just because I live here, but because I just don't think the European team is as strong as the US team.

I realize that there are already 2 Germans on the Euro team, but where is Thorsten? How about Appleton? He had a great US Open. Daryl Peach?

Mike

This was my first question when I saw the line up as well, where is Thorsten?

Had been on the roster I think I'd lean towards Europe. Right now I think it's a toss up.

pharaoh68
11-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Team Europe

Mika Immonen (Finland)

Ralf Souquet (Germany)

Thomas Engert (Germany)

Nick van den Berg (Holland)

Imran Majid (England)

David Alcaide (Spain)

------------------------------
Now, if I were the captain of team Europe, I wouldn't even show up without Thorsten. But here would be my 6 picks.

Thorsten, Ralph Souquet, Thomas Engert, Marcus Chamat, Mika Immonen, and the last spot would be a toss up between Raj Hundal and Oliver Ortmann. Oliver is a seasoned vet who hasn't really proved himself in recent years as much as Hundal has, but then again, I don't like Hundal so I would pass on him.

Dazza
11-17-2006, 06:13 AM
I was very disapointed to see Hohmann not make the team. However, in the defence of the selecters, Europe has had near enough the same players in the last few years and lost each Mosconi, maybe this new look side will provide new results. For instance, Rodney Morris losing a singles match etc, and could be what Europe need to win the trophy.

cuetechasaurus
11-17-2006, 06:34 AM
yeperdieyep..... Allthough an all Gb team would have done great aswell: Davis, Peach, Appelton, Gray, Boyes.... I would think the Gb team would have the best chance at this moment...

LOL are you kidding me? They would get drilled!!!! In 9ball, Great Britain players don't hold a candle to the Germans.

jediphil
11-17-2006, 06:43 AM
LOL are you kidding me? They would get drilled!!!! In 9ball, Great Britain players don't hold a candle to the Germans.
ill take that bet

germany have a strong side for 4 places GB have a great side for all six players

i mentioned this in another thread but europes players will fall down on doubles matches we have no conversation between players

Dazza
11-17-2006, 06:47 AM
It will be interesting to see who does better in the TEAM matches of the Mosconi. Is this going to be one shot per player rotation, or what? :eek:

Snapshot9
11-17-2006, 06:47 AM
USA has the edge in 9 ball. Engert, Van de Berg, and Majid I would not consider Elite 9 ballers.

I see something like 11-8 for the USA.

Dazza
11-17-2006, 06:53 AM
USA has the edge in 9 ball. Engert, Van de Berg, and Majid I would not consider Elite 9 ballers.

Its a race to 13 this time mate. However USA need only 12 because if it ends a draw (which it can this year) then the holders (in this case USA) Keep the Mosconi Cup. :(

pharaoh68
11-17-2006, 08:38 AM

I hate to bust people's bubbles but cuetechasaurus is right. This All-Great Britain team would get hammered. They may be solid shooters but they don't hold a candle to some of the Mosconi Cup usuals from Europe like Chamat, Immonen, Souquet, and even the passed over Hohmann.

Dazza
11-27-2006, 05:50 AM
10 days to go people!!!!

MyraCurfs
11-27-2006, 06:23 AM
I hate to bust people's bubbles but cuetechasaurus is right. This All-Great Britain team would get hammered. They may be solid shooters but they don't hold a candle to some of the Mosconi Cup usuals from Europe like Chamat, Immonen, Souquet, and even the passed over Hohmann.

I disagree... It's is not all about the ability to play. I think in 9-ball anyone who makes it in say; the last 16 of a Eurotour or de last 16 of a US open would look great in the Mosconicup. I think the difference is the mentality in teamspirit! You see europe is just a name, it does not excist. They put 6 people together and they call it Europe. It just doesn't work that way. So if you look upon it.. a GB team.. Dutch team.. German team would always do better then a mixed team.. But the fact that they put Earl in gives us an advantage.... everybody in europe wants him to lose.. so that's gives us some "brotherhood". You know when they choose Alcaide... it wasn't the smartest move.. because the guy isn't able to speak more english then yes, no and thank you, you can not build teamspirit on that! Ok he has a great poolheart and he does not have to speak... but it's hard to fit in...

Solartje
11-27-2006, 06:56 AM
I disagree... It's is not all about the ability to play. I think in 9-ball anyone who makes it in say; the last 16 of a Eurotour or de last 16 of a US open would look great in the Mosconicup. I think the difference is the mentality in teamspirit! You see europe is just a name, it does not excist. They put 6 people together and they call it Europe. It just doesn't work that way. So if you look upon it.. a GB team.. Dutch team.. German team would always do better then a mixed team.. But the fact that they put Earl in gives us an advantage.... everybody in europe wants him to lose.. so that's gives us some "brotherhood". You know when they choose Alcaide... it wasn't the smartest move.. because the guy isn't able to speak more english then yes, no and thank you, you can not build teamspirit on that! Ok he has a great poolheart and he does not have to speak... but it's hard to fit in...

i can agree with most of the things u said. europe is just a name. im not sure if they have any training at all together. if u play doubles etc u really need good communication etc. in the usa team, well they all speak english :D but in europe thats totally different. i just hope they have some group practices.

i think that a full german team would be the strongest. these guys just seem to have an endless amount of topplayers.

TheOne
11-27-2006, 06:57 AM

If you follow the results in Europe and even the IPT you would probably come to a different conclusion. ;)

MyraCurfs
11-27-2006, 07:11 AM
i can agree with most of the things u said. europe is just a name. im not sure if they have any training at all together. if u play doubles etc u really need good communication etc. in the usa team, well they all speak english :D but in europe thats totally different. i just hope they have some group practices.

i think that a full german team would be the strongest. these guys just seem to have an endless amount of topplayers.

And they have a history of being able to walk in line.. the heads to the same side etc...:p ;) :D

Icon of Sin
11-27-2006, 07:18 AM
Definately USA. No question.

Sprite
11-27-2006, 07:48 AM
Year 2006 winner is the Blue team.....Europe.:D

Donovan
11-27-2006, 07:51 AM
For Europe I think a German/Swedish/Holland team would have been the way to go. However kudos for them trying to get players from all around Europe a chance to participate. Not having Neils back was silly, considering how well he played last year. I never understood why Mika is the constant captain, when I always felt like Souquet seemed like the obvious choice. Oh, and one more comment about having a stronger UK team: you have to remember that the last time they had 5 UK players on the Cup team, they did win. Not that things haven't changed since 1995, but it is still a fact.

As far as America is concerned, I do have a few predictions:
Earl will cause a disturbance. YEAH!
The Rocket will be full of energy. YEAH!
Archer will spot a piece of lint on the floor from across the room. YEAH!
AND John Schmidt will go undefeated. YEAH! GO JOHN!

I love this format. :D

Donovan
11-27-2006, 07:54 AM

Sols, my friend, you do bring up a great point. Language is a barrier that the Americans do not have to contend with...except for deciphering Earls comments. Go Earl! :D

jay helfert
11-27-2006, 08:13 AM
I like Europe this year. Any bets?

jay helfert
11-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Team Europe

Mika Immonen (Finland)

Ralf Souquet (Germany)

Thomas Engert (Germany)

Imran Majid (England)

David Alcaide (Spain)

Now, if I were the captain of team Europe, I wouldn't even show up without Thorsten. But here would be my 6 picks.

Thorsten, Ralph Souquet, Thomas Engert, Marcus Chamat, Mika Immonen, and the last spot would be a toss up between Raj Hundal and Oliver Ortmann. Oliver is a seasoned vet who hasn't really proved himself in recent years as much as Hundal has, but then again, I don't like Hundal so I would pass on him.

Oops, Where is Thorsten? Only the best player in Europe.

TheOne
11-27-2006, 09:20 AM

This is such a silly thing to say, I think Engert has over 40 Euro Titles alone, Van Den Berg finished in the top 5 of the 9 Ball WPC, 8 Ball WPC, and US Open last year. Majid has proved himself to be the No1 British player on the Euro Tour, winning his first Euro Title this year and was close to being ranked No1 overall player too.

chrstc
11-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Oops, Where is Thorsten? Only the best player in Europe.

It's funny how the Mosconi Cup is practically the reverse of the Ryder Cup isn't it. On paper Europe should be favourites in the Mosconi but the top players never all seem to perform well at once! Thorsten's record is poor (33% from 9 matches), Thomas Engert's record is very poor (20% from 10). I think that we should start accepting that just as with the Ryder Cup some players should be picked based on their ability to perform in that pressure cooker situation which is different to normal tournament play. Look at Tom Storm's 64% win record for example. He'd definitely be able to do a job for Europe again and Steve Knight has a decent record considering he played in 4 cups (including the 2001 drubbing that ruined every European player's average too). I'd love to see them both back one day.

Thanks,
Chris (Chrstc).

pharaoh68
11-27-2006, 09:35 AM
If you follow the results in Europe and even the IPT you would probably come to a different conclusion. ;)

Actually no. I wouldn't. You're basing your conclusion on the IPT results. Well, the featured game of the (former?) IPT is 8 ball which is lightyears easier than 9 ball. Now, I don't want to open that debate again as it has been rehashed on this forum many times over but, the truth is that on the whole, 8 ball is a much easier game which is way pros are more likely to string 5 or 6 racks together as has happened in many IPT qualifiers. JMO.

4ball
11-27-2006, 09:54 AM
Does anyone know when is the 06 Mosconi Cup scheduled to air on TV in the US?

supergreenman
11-27-2006, 10:26 AM
I like Europe this year. Any bets?
I placed a conservative bet on europe with the virtual bookie. Too close to go all in though.

TheOne
11-27-2006, 10:58 AM
Actually no. I wouldn't. You're basing your conclusion on the IPT results. Well, the featured game of the (former?) IPT is 8 ball which is lightyears easier than 9 ball. Now, I don't want to open that debate again as it has been rehashed on this forum many times over but, the truth is that on the whole, 8 ball is a much easier game which is way pros are more likely to string 5 or 6 racks together as has happened in many IPT qualifiers. JMO.

a) If it was an easier game then the 9 ball players would have found it easier and dominated, they didn't.

b) Many of the British players have proven themselves on the Euro Tour and other events outside of 8 ball.

BigMalUK
11-27-2006, 12:30 PM
I think USA will win because for my money the Europeans have got nowhere near their strongest team out for this event, whereas the Americans look to have it about right.

It'd work much better with more players in each team - a true test of the depth of pool in both the US and Europe.

As for the debate on UK v European players I think a lot of you are unerestimating the potential of the UK boys, but it's an argument that we cannot resolve here. My opinion is that without the IPT the likes of Appleton and Boyes may well play a lot more 9-ball and will be forces to be reckoned with in the future of European 9-ball. I know who I'd rather have my last £10 on in Appleton v Alcaide that's for sure....

Roy Steffensen
11-27-2006, 12:55 PM
I think Tony Drago would be just perfect for this format...

With or without Niels, Tony and Thorsten, I still go for Europe this year!

chrstc
11-27-2006, 02:34 PM
I think Tony Drago would be just perfect for this format...

Hello,
I'd love to see Tony play too. He was unlucky not to have been picked in 2003 having won the World Pool Masters and reached the semis of the WPC. These days winning the Masters guarantees you a spot I think (like Raj Hundal last year).
I really can't get my "ideal" European team down to 6! I'd want Oliver Ortmann as captain, Ralf Souquet, Tom Storm, Mika Immonen and Steve Knight, but then who to pick out of Thorsten, Tony Drago, Steve Davis, Marcus Chamat, Niels Feijen etc.

By the way I'd love to see a USA team of Kim Davenport, Jim Rempe, Earl Strickland, Johnny Archer, Corey Deuel and John Schmidt. All my fav US pros from various eras!

Thanks,
Chris (Chrstc).

sniper
11-27-2006, 03:01 PM
I think the Americans will likely win, but hopefully it won't be a slaughter like last year. I will however, be rooting for the Europeans since I have a sizeable v-bookie bet on them. Unfortunately, team Europe has one of it's weakest teams ever:( I can't believe Hohmann wasn't included yet Engert was picked, in Engert's last Mosconi appearance he didn't win a single match the entire tournament. Also, if you go through the history of the event you will notice that every year Ortmann was selected to the team the event ended up being a dog fight right till the end, I assure you this is no coincidence.

The best chance that Europe has, is that Earl will go off the deep end. The tournament is in Rotterdam so you know the fans will get to him;) I can't wait for this thing to start!

sjm
11-27-2006, 08:48 PM
Team Europe

Mika Immonen (Finland)

Ralf Souquet (Germany)

Thomas Engert (Germany)

Imran Majid (England)

David Alcaide (Spain)

As the European team captain, I think I'd rather have Sandor Tot on my team than Oliver Ortmann or Raj Hundal. Darren Appleton would have been a very nice choice here, too.

MyraCurfs
11-28-2006, 01:08 AM
As the European team captain, I think I'd rather have Sandor Tot on my team than Oliver Ortmann or Raj Hundal. Darren Appleton would have been a very nice choice here, too.

Well... the truth is that the european captain ( Johan Ruijsink) does not make the choices, matchroom does.

Speaking about Sandor Tot. I think he needs to win the WC or else they wil try to figger out a way around him. I think it's called arbitrariness. :rolleyes: Sorry guys but that's the way i see it... after being in the top 3 of Europe a few times he wasn't even invited for the World Pool Masters. I think they are afraid he doesn't look to good at tellivison....

predator
11-28-2006, 05:09 AM
Well... the truth is that the european captain ( Johan Ruijsink) does not make the choices, matchroom does.

Speaking about Sandor Tot. I think he needs to win the WC or else they wil try to figger out a way around him. I think it's called arbitrariness. :rolleyes: Sorry guys but that's the way i see it... after being in the top 3 of Europe a few times he wasn't even invited for the World Pool Masters. I think they are afraid he doesn't look to good at tellivison....

I also cannot understand this.
He plays just about the most attractive game. Not afraid to take risks. Fast and loose, just like top Filipino players. Likeable fellow too. At the top of his game he's Earl in his prime.

No disrespect to David A., but I think in a longer match Sandor T. would drill him badly.

jay helfert
11-28-2006, 05:55 AM
My European dream team would consist of:

Ralf (He's simply a great player!)
Thorsten (Only one of the best players on the planet)
Oliver (A great leader)
Niels (Might not ever miss a ball)
Mika (Proven champion)
Marcus (No one has more heart)

Alternates would include:

Nick (Hard not to put him on here, very close between him and Marcus)
Darren (A rising star, maybe next year)
Sandor (Handles pressure well, often overlooked)

Give me this team, and I'll empty out on their side.

MyraCurfs
11-28-2006, 07:09 AM
My European dream team would consist of:

Ralf (He's simply a great player!)
Thorsten (Only one of the best players on the planet)
Oliver (A great leader)
Niels (Might not ever miss a ball)
Mika (Proven champion)
Marcus (No one has more heart)

Alternates would include:

Nick (Hard not to put him on here, very close between him and Marcus)
Darren (A rising star, maybe next year)
Sandor (Handles pressure well, often overlooked)

Give me this team, and I'll empty out on their side.

hmmm... i would have more alternates the these but ok! There is only one thing i really do not agree on... Oliver a great leader... ? i do not mean this disrespectfull ( really i always joke to him about it) but Oliver is a little bit of an einzelganger... for a leader i would recommend Alex lely or Marcus Chamat because they are able to motivate the others because of the big hearts they have. That said: Johan will do great aswell!

jay helfert
11-28-2006, 07:46 AM
hmmm... i would have more alternates the these but ok! There is only one thing i really do not agree on... Oliver a great leader... ? i do not mean this disrespectfull ( really i always joke to him about it) but Oliver is a little bit of an einzelganger... for a leader i would recommend Alex lely or Marcus Chamat because they are able to motivate the others because of the big hearts they have. That said: Johan will do great aswell!

Pardon my French, but what the hell is an einzelganger?

pharaoh68
11-28-2006, 07:46 AM
a) If it was an easier game then the 9 ball players would have found it easier and dominated, they didn't.

Again I have to respectfully disagree (keyword there being respect. Not trying to start a fight). Look at the last men standing:

Orcullo, Reyes, Morris, Deuel, Immonen, Ortmann. All of them are 9 ballers or straight pool players.

Then look at the final 18:

Add to the previous list Francisco Bustamante, Danny Harriman, Neils Feijin, Alex Pagaluyan, Ralph Souquet, and Charlie Williams. All 9 ballers and straight pool shooters. In fact, the only 8 baller to make it to the final 18 was Karl Boyes.

i210mfu
11-28-2006, 08:07 AM
@ Jay,

you will never ever see 3 Germans in a Mosconi Cup team..... Mr. Hearn runs the show so players are picked by different criterias than ability. It surprises me each year why the European Team is picked that way and the US Team always comes with a strong crew. I don't know how the US guys are picked though. The european Team e.g. always has a British member in it. Regardsless if the guy can shoot top notch nine ball or not. Why ? because it sells better in in th UK TV channels. Why is Earl in the US team ? Because everybody hopes he explodes either due to his personality or due to his game...

To me the Mosconi Cup is a nice fun event but it sure is not anywhere near a true match between the best Europe and US players.

Markus

i210mfu
11-28-2006, 08:10 AM
Pardon my French, but what the hell is an einzelganger?

"Einzelgaenger" is German an means loner or lone wolf in English.

:-)
Markus

Williebetmore
11-28-2006, 09:12 AM
@ Jay,

To me the Mosconi Cup is a nice fun event but it sure is not anywhere near a true match between the best Europe and US players.

Markus

Markus,
Very true. With the very short races, and the significant luck factor in 9-ball; it is hard to consider the Mosconi Cup anything more than an exhibition.

TheOne
11-28-2006, 09:47 AM
Again I have to respectfully disagree (keyword there being respect. Not trying to start a fight). Look at the last men standing:

Orcullo, Reyes, Morris, Deuel, Immonen, Ortmann. All of them are 9 ballers or straight pool players.

Then look at the final 18:

Add to the previous list Francisco Bustamante, Danny Harriman, Neils Feijin, Alex Pagaluyan, Ralph Souquet, and Charlie Williams. All 9 ballers and straight pool shooters. In fact, the only 8 baller to make it to the final 18 was Karl Boyes.

No worries but I think Appleton, Boyes, Hill did enough to disprove this. All the Europeans you mention are 8 ball players too, what happened to multiple world 9 ball champions such as Archer, Earl, Sigel etc. ?

pharaoh68
11-28-2006, 09:53 AM
No worries but I think Appleton, Boyes, Hill did enough to disprove this. All the Europeans you mention are 8 ball players too, what happened to multiple worl 9 ball champions such as Archer, Earl, Sigel etc. ?

The only explanation for Earl can be his psychological meltdowns. He tends to take himself out of it.

Sigel isn't much of a player anymore... and let me qualify that statement. I am not saying that he can't play anymore. I'm saying that he doesn't play nearly as much as these other younger, much more capable competitors.

And as for Archer, he is an incredible player. No doubt about that. A World Champion several times over. But nowadays, he is very streaky.

As for that point though, there were scores of 9 ballers who didn't make it to the final 18 or the final 6. But the presence of 9 ballers was felt moreso than that of the 8 ballers. JMO. However, you are right. Karl Boyes proved that he has skills in that game to compete with some of the best out there.

TheOne
11-28-2006, 11:14 AM
The only explanation for Earl can be his psychological meltdowns. He tends to take himself out of it.

Sigel isn't much of a player anymore... and let me qualify that statement. I am not saying that he can't play anymore. I'm saying that he doesn't play nearly as much as these other younger, much more capable competitors.

And as for Archer, he is an incredible player. No doubt about that. A World Champion several times over. But nowadays, he is very streaky.

As for that point though, there were scores of 9 ballers who didn't make it to the final 18 or the final 6. But the presence of 9 ballers was felt moreso than that of the 8 ballers. JMO. However, you are right. Karl Boyes proved that he has skills in that game to compete with some of the best out there.

If you worked it out % wise I would bet the 8 ballers did better overall. How many 8 ballers played in it? The best female player was an ex 8 ball pro. Allison and Karen etc were snooker players and now 9 ball specialists, why didn't they do better than SE?

There were many many BIG NAME 9 ball players that just couldn't cut it at 8 ball, why was that given 8 ball is an easier game? :confused:

pharaoh68
11-28-2006, 11:52 AM
There were many many BIG NAME 9 ball players that just couldn't cut it at 8 ball, why was that given 8 ball is an easier game? :confused:

But there were a handful of nine ballers who found the format easy enough to cost their way to the final six (and two to finish in the finals).

Here's how I look at it. Last year, a young sixteen year old kid (Chia Ching Wu) runs five straight racks to comeback against his opponent and win the World 9 ball Championship. Everyone was in awe! Five racks in tournament play! Its not impossible but it doesn't happen every day! That's for sure.

Now, cross over to the IPT and there are actually a number of players who were putting up five packs in qualifiers. Ask Cliff Joyner. He took home an extra $5k just for stringing 5 racks together and he was one of several guys to do this. In fact, Kevin Trudeau even offered an a cash bonus for all players who did it and believe me - Joyner was not the only one to pull it off. Hell! If I can break and run out 3 out of 5 racks, it must be an easier game because I suck!!:D

With 9 ball, sure there are less balls, but you don't have the luxury of changing your course of action throughout the rack. If you get out of line, you'd better find a way to make a hit or a shot because you HAVE to hit that next ball in the rotation. With 8 ball, getting out of line on a planned shot simply means to look for a different shot.

Aaron_S
11-28-2006, 11:55 AM
I believe I'd have to take the USA this year. If Hohman and Chamat were in the mix, though, I don't know. I also think Ortmann would be an asset to Team Europe. Not sure how good of a leader he is, but to me he has always had this aura of indestructability about him, and I would think that would help to inspire confidence in his teammates.

Personally, I'm not putting too much weight on a player's success (or lack of) in the IPT, though, because I think there are just too many differences. It's not just an 8-ball vs. 9-ball thing, it's the tables, the felt, the venues and the "big production" feel, the field, the format, the purse sizes... etc. I just don't know if you can judge a player's success on one stage based upon their success on the other stage.

What I do know is... if there was a Team Phillipines in this race, I'd bet my 401k on 'em. :D

PROG8R
11-28-2006, 01:14 PM
What happened to Charlie Williams? He has been a very strong player for the US squad the last few years.

MyraCurfs
11-28-2006, 02:30 PM
"Einzelgaenger" is German an means loner or lone wolf in English.

:-)
Markus

Markus.. thanxs for explaining:D

TheOne
11-28-2006, 02:40 PM
But there were a handful of nine ballers who found the format easy enough to cost their way to the final six (and two to finish in the finals).

Here's how I look at it. Last year, a young sixteen year old kid (Chia Ching Wu) runs five straight racks to comeback against his opponent and win the World 9 ball Championship. Everyone was in awe! Five racks in tournament play! Its not impossible but it doesn't happen every day! That's for sure.

Now, cross over to the IPT and there are actually a number of players who were putting up five packs in qualifiers. Ask Cliff Joyner. He took home an extra $5k just for stringing 5 racks together and he was one of several guys to do this. In fact, Kevin Trudeau even offered an a cash bonus for all players who did it and believe me - Joyner was not the only one to pull it off. Hell! If I can break and run out 3 out of 5 racks, it must be an easier game because I suck!!:D

With 9 ball, sure there are less balls, but you don't have the luxury of changing your course of action throughout the rack. If you get out of line, you'd better find a way to make a hit or a shot because you HAVE to hit that next ball in the rotation. With 8 ball, getting out of line on a planned shot simply means to look for a different shot.

You hit the nail on the head but got it the wrong way round. If you mess up in 9 ball you are still fav to win the game as you have control of the table and can play safe of hook the other guy. If you mess up in 8 ball with 1 or 2 balls left you're as much as dead. Its not a run out contest, although I actually thinl 8 ball is easier to run out that alone doesn't mean its an easier game.

Interesting thoutgh that with 100k on the line for a player to run out the set NOBODY did it. Yet earl did 11 racks at 9 ball with a million dollars on the line! ;)