PDA

View Full Version : Reputation comments. To respond or not.

JoeyA
11-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Should one respond to REP COMMENTS, positive or not?

For me personally, when I send a rep and a comment I just want the author to know I appreciated his/her words or not and do not expect a response.

Do you send responses to rep comments?
JoeyA

supergreenman
11-16-2006, 12:46 PM

For me personally, when I send a rep and a comment I just want the author to know I appreciated his/her words or not and do not expect a response.

JoeyA
I concur, I only respond to rep messages if they contain a question.

tigerallenyim
11-16-2006, 12:48 PM
I concur, I only respond to rep messages if they contain a question.
Yeah, same here. Otherwise it just continues back and forth. :)

!Smorgass Bored
11-16-2006, 12:55 PM
JoeyA

Ah, Republican comments ?
Doug
( an Independent )

Dead Money
11-16-2006, 01:04 PM
I did not know you could respond to them. I would think it a bit awkward to respond to them but that is just me.I wouldn't expect anyone to respond to mine either...just that they get a laugh out of it or something like that and leave it at that.

Jude Rosenstock
11-16-2006, 01:08 PM
You know, this warrants a test. Everyone in this thread should check their rep NOW.

!Smorgass Bored
11-16-2006, 01:11 PM
You know, this warrants a test. Everyone in this thread should check their rep NOW.

Done. 1637
Doug

tigerallenyim
11-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Ha Ha ha.

Very funny!

supergreenman
11-16-2006, 01:19 PM
haha.......................

Dead Money
11-16-2006, 01:20 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Fuji-whopper
11-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Rep is a form of communication right? Why would you not respond to something communicated to you?

On a different forum they display your rep amount next to your name, but they don't show the user who reps you. I think it's a useful tool and is a neat idea, a good way to exchange opinions without crowding up threads and measuring success in a quirky kind of way.

Cuebacca
11-16-2006, 05:47 PM
You know, this warrants a test. [...]

I agree; A test is in order. Everyone should give me some rep and then see if I respond. LOL. :p :D

Cuebacca
11-16-2006, 05:49 PM
To answer the question though... the first time I got rep, it was actually rep thanking me for the rep! I thought that was a very nice gesture. Later on, I gave someone rep, and that person responded with a PM, saying thanks. I thought that was nice too. So, since then I've done the PM "thank you" as well.

I wouldn't think its a breach of etiquette NOT to say thanks though. After all, you have to go and check your rep to even realize that someone gave it to you, unless of course your green dot population increases.

tedkaufman
11-16-2006, 05:51 PM

JoeyA

What are "REP COMMENTS"? Also, how and why would one send one?

sjm
11-16-2006, 05:58 PM

I don't think a response is called for in most cases.

alstl
11-16-2006, 06:02 PM
I shouldn't admit this, but I haven't figured out how to do the rep thing. Even if I knew how I'm not sure I would do it, but for now I have an excuse.

Cuebacca
11-16-2006, 06:09 PM
What are "REP COMMENTS"? Also, how and why would one send one?

See, what you want to do, Ted, is click on this little Rep button as shown below, and then it will take you to another screen where you can click OK, indicating that you approve of my post. Comments can be provided, if desired. After that, I will be awarded more "rep points". After enough rep points have been added, another fancy green dot will show up next to my name. Go ahead, give it a try, its fun! :p

Ok, I'm just having fun today. :)

Cuebacca
11-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Oh, I suppose if you're using the vBulletin style of skin, then it will look like this....

!Smorgass Bored
11-16-2006, 06:52 PM
I shouldn't admit this, but I haven't figured out how to do the rep thing. Even if I knew how I'm not sure I would do it, but for now I have an excuse.

In the top right hand corner of each post is a Post #, the Scales of Justice and a Warning sign (this may be Post #19). If it were a very illuminating post filled with information (or a very funny post),etc. you MIGHT wish to give the author Good Rep points (or Bad points for a post that you didn't like). You click on the Scales of Justice and check the "I Approve" or the "I Disapprove" box. you may also leave a comment for the original poster beneath the Approve box.
Now, if someone made a death threat, used really profane language, racist remarks, etc., you could click on the Warning Sign in the top right of the post and that would allow you to report that post/poster to the Moderators. Sending frequent disapproval to the Moderators is frowned upon by most at AZB.... imo
Doug
( I think that I've only clicked on the Warning sign once in nearly 8 years here )
(btw, for every 100 or 200 good Reps that a person receives, they will get another little green square on the right hand side of their posts. The most little green boxes that you may accumulate is 11 )

ribdoner
11-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Doug,

What's the pus colored thing on pussy? Looks like one of the KLINGON fighter pilots from STAR WARS...

alstl
11-16-2006, 07:06 PM
In the top right hand corner of each post is a Post #, the Scales of Justice and a Warning sign (this may be Post #19). If it were a very illuminating post filled with information (or a very funny post),etc. you MIGHT wish to give the author Good Rep points (or Bad points for a post that you didn't like). You click on the Scales of Justice and check the "I Approve" or the "I Disapprove" box. you may also leave a comment for the original poster beneath the Approve box.
Now, if someone made a death threat, used really profane language, racist remarks, etc., you could click on the Warning Sign in the top right of the post and that would allow you to report that post/poster to the Moderators. Sending frequent disapproval to the Moderators is frowned upon by most at AZB.... imo
Doug
( I think that I've only clicked on the Warning sign once in nearly 8 years here )
(btw, for every 100 or 200 good Reps that a person receives, they will get another little green square on the right hand side of their posts. The most little green boxes that you may accumulate is 11 )

Got it, thanks.

!Smorgass Bored
11-16-2006, 07:10 PM
Doug,
What's the pus colored thing on pussy? Looks like one of the KLINGON fighter pilots from STAR WARS...

It looks like some type of melon that's been carved out......
Doug
( it does look like a Klingon fighter pilot.....maybe it's time to change it... LOL )

ironman
11-16-2006, 07:47 PM

Me either, but money would be nice.

!Smorgass Bored
11-16-2006, 09:01 PM
Me either, but money would be nice.

Or cake.
Doug
( and ice cream.....chocolate ice cream )

curlyscues
11-16-2006, 11:12 PM
Or cake.
Doug
( and ice cream.....chocolate ice cream )
mice-cream anyone?

JoeyA
11-17-2006, 08:08 AM

You're not alone. Up until recently, I did not pay attention to REP and did not even know that you could review the comments that people make when they give you good rep or bad rep.

So for all of this people who have sent me those nice comments and REP points, THANKS. To those of you who may have sent those not so nice comments, please send me your real name and address including a picture of yourself.

The Warmest Regards,

JoeyA

ScottR
11-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Ah, Republican comments ?
Doug
( an Independent )
I responded in a post to dougie's negative rep to me because he said "bite me, loser" and I thought it was funny! :p

pharaoh68
11-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Doug,

Ok ribdoner-
I've had enough. You and I may have butted heads before but this is where I draw the line.

Ya know, there comes a time in every man's life when he must draw a line in that stand and proudly state "Across this line no one shall step!!!" and you sir, have stepped across that line!

KLINGONS are from Star Trek.

The fighter pilots for the imperial army in Star Wars are TIE Fighters, TIE Bombers, and TIE Interceptors.

The fighter pilots for the republic were varied. There were X-Wing fighters, Y-Wing Fighter, and a slew of others.

GET IT STRAIGHT, MAN!!!!

ScottR
11-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Ok ribdoner-
I've had enough. You and I may have butted heads before but this is where I draw the line.

Ya know, there comes a time in every man's life when he must draw a line in that stand and proudly state "Across this line no one shall step!!!" and you sir, have stepped across that line!

KLINGONS are from Star Trek.

The fighter pilots for the imperial army in Star Wars are TIE Fighters, TIE Bombers, and TIE Interceptors.

The fighter pilots for the republic were varied. There were X-Wing fighters, Y-Wing Fighter, and a slew of others.

GET IT STRAIGHT, MAN!!!!
ATTENTION!!! GOBBER ALERT!!! INCOMING NERDS!!

<<== knows, because he is one . . . :o

RSB-Refugee
11-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Lucky for you, it would probably turn out to be a full time job, if responses were called for. :eek:

Tracy

ribdoner
11-17-2006, 11:54 AM
GET IT STRAIGHT, MAN!!!!

Point taken. When I was a young star fighter I never had problems gettin and keepin it straight.

The thought of inner acting with golden possy can be intimidating and is exasperating the situation.:confused:

pharaoh68
11-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Point taken. When I was a young star fighter I never had problems gettin and keepin it straight.

The thought of inner acting with golden possy can be intimidating and is exasperating the situation.:confused:

Ribby-

NEVER mess with the GOLDEN POSSE!!! We stand proudly united in our eliteness here on the board as we have been deemed 'the untouchable ones'.

Granted, we were given these monickers by a little rodent that has been flushed from the system, but hey! It's probably the most prestigious title I'll ever have bestowed upon me so, I'm gonna milk it, baby!!!

And Scott-
I take offense to the nerd comment. I consider myself more of a DORK. :D

Cuebacca
11-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Anyone interested in making money talking in a forum?
Go through the link below and check it out! Doesn't cost money, just talking makes you money......pretty much can't go wrong. Anyways, please use my link as it will allow you to be my referral. Thanks.

<URL removed>

LOL, I just gave you bad rep for this. I noticed that you have 30 posts and THEY ARE ALL THIS SAME AD!! Mr. Wilson, are you up for a little banning this afternoon? :rolleyes:

1pRoscoe
11-17-2006, 01:41 PM
Looking to make money while talking in forums? Pretty much can’t go wrong with the link listed down below. You don’t have to spend any money, all you do is chat about whatever you want, and you’ll make money doing it!!! Everyday it shows you how much you’re making, pretty cool! Please use the link below for signing up, as you will then become my referral!!! Thanks.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=fletch86
I meant to leave a neg for you as well, but actually forgot to move it from "I approve" to "You suck", but what I wrote is still applicable...

ribdoner
11-17-2006, 01:56 PM
LOL, I just gave you bad rep for this. I noticed that you have 30 posts and THEY ARE ALL THIS SAME AD!! Mr. Wilson, are you up for a little banning this afternoon? :rolleyes:

He banged one or two yeasterday but I'm sure he can rise to the occasion again. :confused:

1pRoscoe
11-17-2006, 02:06 PM
I usually only respond with rep when what the person gave me is absolutely hilarious.... Either that or what Chuck Norris has instructed me to say on his behalf...

1pRoscoe
11-17-2006, 02:07 PM
And Scott-
I take offense to the nerd comment. I consider myself more of a DORK. :D
Both of you jerkynuts are geeks...

Cuebacca
11-17-2006, 02:23 PM
Anyone interested in making money talking in a forum?
Go through the link below and check it out! Doesn't cost money, just talking makes you money......pretty much can't go wrong. Anyways, please use my link as it will allow you to be my referral. Thanks.

<URL removed>

Wow, he seems to have vanished without a trace! Now his post is gone and I couldn't find him in the "Advanced Member Search". Good work, mods.

I'll edit my previous post to remove his URL too. Spam up our forum. How dare he! That's what RSB is for. :p

chilli66
11-17-2006, 07:18 PM
It's good to see people like the rep points here. Another site I frequent (a movie site) has the same system, and a thread was started recently discussing how many points equalled green boxes & so on. Now, one of the main contributors to the site thinks it's all BS & decided to bad rep everyone who had posted in the thread, just for "wasting time on this nonsense."

I wouldn't have minded so much but he has a huge amount of points, and the higher your rep is, the more damage/ good you can do. My rep went from "is looking good" to "is kind of a pile of sh!t" in one hit!! Ouch. I'm slowly climbing back up again but it takes awhile!!

JoeyA
11-17-2006, 11:36 PM

I checked it but I dont see anything different.
JoeyA

TheConArtist
11-18-2006, 01:37 AM
i always respond with a comment or returning the favor.

sde
11-18-2006, 10:08 AM
I wouldn't have minded so much but he has a huge amount of points, and the higher your rep is, the more damage/ good you can do.

Is this also true here?
And what's difference between the different shades of green?

Steve

Cuebacca
11-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Is this also true here?
And what's difference between the different shades of green?

Steve

It applies here as well. The light and dark green have no difference, just that the light greens kick in after 5 darks. It would be cool if we could set it up so that the fifth and tenth bead are one color and the rest are the other color, just for a fun pool theme. :)