PDA

View Full Version : Warped Meucci Butt, Can it be fixed??

ironhead_79
11-16-2006, 12:54 PM
i have a Meucci HOF2 series, was not a bad cue, till i let a friend take it, i only had about 150 in it, he had it for over 6 months thru last winter, when he brought it back it has a slight warp, i found out he only keeps his garage where the table is heated while he's playing, so i'm guessing this might have caused it. i was going to just put it in the rack to use as like a house stick for the kids but an old man who teaches alot of the younger guys around here to shoot, looked at it and said it could be straightened, how i don't know, any ideas, or is it a lost cause. i know Meucci's are getting cheaper these days, but hate to just not try if i can help it.

ratcues
11-16-2006, 01:31 PM
It depends on where the warp is. I have cut the handle out of cues when they are warped and then replace it with new wood. This is labor intensive but it works. If the actual forearm is warped, there is not much you can do without changing the characteristics of the cue.

Is it bad or just noticable?

gforces1911
11-16-2006, 01:34 PM
i have a Meucci HOF2 series, was not a bad cue, till i let a friend take it, i only had about 150 in it, he had it for over 6 months thru last winter, when he brought it back it has a slight warp, i found out he only keeps his garage where the table is heated while he's playing, so i'm guessing this might have caused it. i was going to just put it in the rack to use as like a house stick for the kids but an old man who teaches alot of the younger guys around here to shoot, looked at it and said it could be straightened, how i don't know, any ideas, or is it a lost cause. i know Meucci's are getting cheaper these days, but hate to just not try if i can help it.

I have found that a lit match in these situations often solves the problem.

All kidding aside, I have always thought it would be tough to straighten a warped butt.

Varney Cues
11-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Taking the warp out of it won't fix the Meucci!:D
Sorry....I couldn't resist.
Rattie is right...often replacing the handle under the wrap is a cure...though rather expensive.;)

Ruthless
11-16-2006, 03:45 PM
It took me 5 days of sanding the finish off, clamping, dampening, and a hair dryer to get 90% of a 8mm wobble out of a Scruggs s/p forearm last week. But it still has to be re-sprayed.

The only other I've tried was a coco Omen and it came out about the same 90%. But I would go with the "match" theory for a Meucci.

ironhead_79
11-16-2006, 04:20 PM
not bad but really noticable, it effects my stroke, don't know if that's physical or just mental, i'll never use it for a tournament cue, thats what i have a scruggs for, but figured it might be enough for a bar cue

ironhead_79
11-16-2006, 04:23 PM
the match idea isn't bad except i bought this from my cousins wife, he got killed in Iraq and was just trying to help her out, kinda sentimental in that it was his, not his favorite cue, that is the scruggs i bought from her too, but i was thinking he kept this for some reason that i can't remember

ribdoner
11-16-2006, 04:35 PM
not bad but really noticable, it effects my stroke, don't know if that's physical or just mental, i'll never use it for a tournament cue, thats what i have a scruggs for, but figured it might be enough for a bar cue

The butt having a slight warp should not impact the playability of the cue.

The shaft being straight past the length of your "stroke" is much more important.

As others have pointed the handle can be replaced (somewhat expensive) and that MAY resolve the problem.

Ruthless
11-16-2006, 04:37 PM
the match idea isn't bad except i bought this from my cousins wife, he got killed in Iraq and was just trying to help her out, kinda sentimental in that it was his, not his favorite cue, that is the scruggs i bought from her too, but i was thinking he kept this for some reason that i can't remember

I would keep it also.

I have a few of my fathers cues put away that mean a lot to me that will never be used again.

Also a big Salute is owed to your cousin that gave the ultimate sacrifice and to all that have served to protect our freedom.

manwon
11-16-2006, 08:00 PM

Roll the cue on a table / flat surface. In most cases the warp is in the under wrap section of the butt.

The under wrap can be replaced easyly, if that is where the problem is I charge locally $130 and I refinish and re-wrap the cue.

Manwon

ironhead_79
11-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Roll the cue on a table / flat surface. In most cases the warp is in the under wrap section of the butt.

The under wrap can be replaced easyly, if that is where the problem is I charge locally $130 and I refinish and re-wrap the cue.

Manwon

that seems to be exactly where it is, how can i contact you to have you take a look at it. i have a brand new Elephant table it should be flat, i rolled it on there and it seems to be right there at the handle.

Varney Cues
11-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Send it to Manwon for sure...you'll not get all that done any cheaper.;)

ironhead_79
11-16-2006, 09:25 PM
I would keep it also.

I have a few of my fathers cues put away that mean a lot to me that will never be used again.

Also a big Salute is owed to your cousin that gave the ultimate sacrifice and to all that have served to protect our freedom.

thank you, we lost him and both his brothers over there in a 5 month span, 1 road side bomb, 1 in the market area of baghdad, and 1 friendly fire, it's really hard they left a 7 year old brother at home, he's lost without them. say's he's gonna grow up and join the military just like his brothers, it's really heartbreaking being so close to him and seeing the pain he's going thru, really hope it was all worth it. i served just after desert storm and the conditions over there now are 1000 times worse, my heart goes out to all the men and women in the armed forces, i know the sacrifice that the families at home make.

rackem
11-16-2006, 09:31 PM
deleted message

bigpocket
11-16-2006, 11:45 PM
It took me 5 days of sanding the finish off, clamping, dampening, and a hair dryer to get 90% of a 8mm wobble out of a Scruggs s/p forearm last week. But it still has to be re-sprayed.

The only other I've tried was a coco Omen and it came out about the same 90%. But I would go with the "match" theory for a Meucci.

lol please remind me not to buy any cue's from you.Do you have a partner named Aaron Painer lol just kidding:eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

ratcues
11-17-2006, 09:22 AM

I tried to go back to the grind but could not stop thinking about this thread and the history behind the cue. Send the cue to me and I will fix it free of charge. This is a tiny gesture compared to what your cousin gave for us.

Home of the free BECAUSE of the brave!

Flex
11-17-2006, 09:32 AM
What a kind and generous gesture!!

Rep points to you, sir!

ironhead_79
11-17-2006, 02:30 PM
I tried to go back to the grind but could not stop thinking about this thread and the history behind the cue. Send the cue to me and I will fix it free of charge. This is a tiny gesture compared to what your cousin gave for us.

Home of the free BECAUSE of the brave!

Thats the best thing a stranger has ever offered to do for me, i couldn't ask you to do it for free, but the gesture is truely heartfelt. any man who would offer thier services to someone for free because of these circumstances is a true american in my book, and i consider you a friend even though we've never met, if your ever in Ohio look me up and i'll buy you a cold one, maybe even spot you a ball or two.

cuetrip
11-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Thats the best thing a stranger has ever offered to do for me, i couldn't ask you to do it for free, but the gesture is truely heartfelt. any man who would offer thier services to someone for free because of these circumstances is a true american in my book, and i consider you a friend even though we've never met, if your ever in Ohio look me up and i'll buy you a cold one, maybe even spot you a ball or two.

Jesus guys...just brought a tear to my eye. And that's no joke.
Ya know, with all the trivial bickering that goes on around here sometimes it takes a heartwrenching situation and a selfless gesture to put things back into perspective and remind us how to be civil to one another.
Thanks fellas. You made my day.
Rob

ironhead_79
11-25-2006, 11:24 PM
just a quick update. after ratcues more than generous offer to fix this cue free of charge, i picked up an identical Meucci that shoots pretty good, so i talked with my uncle and we came up with an idea. i am having a friend of mine who builds custom wood furniture build me a triangular case, it will be long enough at the bottom for the Meucci that belonged to my cousin to be screwed together and it will be mounted on hooks, my uncle after hearing this gave me Ryan's flag that the family recieves from the military when a loved one is lost, and it will be mounted in the top of the case, then sealed with a thick piece of glass. and i also found out why this cue meant so much to my cousin, he purchased it from one of his best friends wife after he was killed in Afghanistan, lotta history behind this warped Meucci cue, now it will hang in my pool room for everyone to see, then it will be given to my nephew when he is old enough to understand the significance of it. and also a big thank you to all the AZ members who offered thier sincere emails and PM's, you know who you are, never thought joining a pool forum would bring up so many memories of such a bad situation and turn it into something that makes even me, a big bada** biker as my friends call me, break down. but it's all for the better. thanks for letting me realize theres more to life than pool or who has the best stick etc., it's all bigger than that when you just step back, take a deep breathe and realize how good we've got it because of all the men and women who have fought to ensure our freedom.