PDA

View Full Version : Migraines & Pool

9Ball_JJ
11-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Hi everyone!! I was just wondering if anybody on the board suffers from migraine headaches. If so, have they ever affected your pool playing?? What do you guys take in order to get some relief from the pain??
Personally, I get about 10-12 per year and I just ran out of my prescription for them so I'm taking a few excedrin migraine for the pain when I get one. Luckily, I've only gotten a migraine once while I was playing pool and it really threw off my game. If you suffer from them, you know what I mean. Well, I thought I'd throw this out there and see what kind of responses I get. Thanks. :D :cool:

Varney Cues
11-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Percocet & glass of red wine.:D

buddha162
11-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Percocet & glass of red wine.:D

That should set you right :)

For a non-life-risking remedy, try 4 advil liquid gels...with h2o.

-Roger

sunnyday
11-16-2006, 08:41 PM
Yeah, watch out when you start to smell your balls..., especially that green 6 ball. It smells the funniest, uh, mm..., like a stale almond? but a little sweet. Then, my vision goes. I just want to make it to the toilet and not spray on anyone who stops me while I'm staggering across the room, "Hon, are you okay?" Stop and just get out of my way, please...

Well, Imitrex is my wonder drug and it's legal, ha ha. Which reminds me I need to call in for my refill. Thanks for the reminder.

cuejoey
11-16-2006, 09:36 PM
my migrains are compliments from an accident i was in .spinal cord damaged/surgery.taking 4-6 tabs of 10/500 Lortab daily.

ccn7
11-16-2006, 10:08 PM
If your migrains are anywhere as bad as mine, no over the counter will relieve the pressure i feel.What i use now does real good.I'm almost 60 and didnt ever have any migrain until about 2 yrs ago.This is a prescription drug Midrin, also Duradrin which is generic for the medrin.I have tried imtrex but it had some side effects i didnt like.I just take 2 when i feel one coming on, main thing is act fast and dont let it go to long before you take something. no way can i even think about playing when i have one, lights, noise and smell are all effected.Migrains are real azzkickers.Hope this helped and hope you never have another.

buddha162
11-17-2006, 02:46 AM
I also read a nytimes article on electro-shock technology for migraines. Interesting stuff: http://select.nytimes.com/search/restricted/article?res=F00615FB3A5B0C748CDDA80994DE404482

-Roger

Snapshot9
11-17-2006, 03:10 AM
or is over the counter medicine just not not strong anymore? I remember 20-30 years ago, some of them used to make me go "Whoa" when I took them, but not today.

I also like Advil Luiqi-gels, and I carry some in my case when I get the occasional headache (although not a migraine) when I am out.

I have taken Loritabs and they didn't do much at all for me. I can't believe that people sell those on the side and actually get good money for them.

DelaWho???
11-17-2006, 04:52 AM
Maxalt is similar to Imitrex and works really good. The pill evaporates on your tongue and you don't have to drink a bunch to get it down. This is handy when it's a full blown migrane. I try to nip them in the bud. When I feel a headache coming on I take immediate action. If I don't have any prescription meds with me, a couple of motrin and a sudaphed or some other otc decongestant seems to help take the pressure off.
Am I the only one who takes refuge in a hot shower, lights out for comfort? I don't know whether it's the pulse of the water on my head or the steam, or the feeling of warmth (sometimes I get real cold sweat chills), that just seems to keep me from throwing up before the meds kick in. I would highly recommend it.
I've never gone to the pool hall with a migrane, but I've sure left in a hurry to get home before it kills me.

McCue Banger McCue

ioCross
11-17-2006, 05:49 AM
or is over the counter medicine just not not strong anymore? I remember 20-30 years ago, some of them used to make me go "Whoa" when I took them, but not today.

I also like Advil Luiqi-gels, and I carry some in my case when I get the occasional headache (although not a migraine) when I am out.

I have taken Loritabs and they didn't do much at all for me. I can't believe that people sell those on the side and actually get good money for them.

well a lot of medicines have had to remove or tone down it's main ingredients because of stupid people abusing them. DXM for example used to be found in lots of cough syrups and pills until people realized you can drink two bottles of cough syrup and "trip".

loratabs are actually pretty weak in the painkillers catagory, but anything fora high i guess. i personally prefer percocets or oxycodines myself but really anyone with a perscription can get insane amounts of money for thier pills.

Cornerman
11-17-2006, 07:11 AM
Hi everyone!! I was just wondering if anybody on the board suffers from migraine headaches. If so, have they ever affected your pool playing?? What do you guys take in order to get some relief from the pain??:
I suffered with migraines all of my life until someone diagnosed that they were triggered by my allergies. I'm allergic to everything, but for me, ragweed triggers headaches that can turn to migraines. When I get migraines, no amount of medicine helps. I can barely walk, let alone hear the sound of balls hitting.

Fred

CaptainHook
11-17-2006, 07:13 AM
[QUOTE=Snapshot9]I also like Advil Luiqi-gels, and I carry some in my case when I get the occasional headache (although not a migraine) when I am out.

Those work great for me also.:D

ericyow
11-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Imitrex is magical...but magic is expensive.
-yow!

Kevin G.
11-17-2006, 09:53 AM
When I get a terrible headache, I go to the TAP league’s website and count typos, misspellings, improper grammar and stupid sentences. By the time I get past the home page, I've forgotten that I have a headache.
They say laughter is the best medicine...

etimmons
11-17-2006, 11:33 AM
I suffered with migraines all of my life until someone diagnosed that they were triggered by my allergies. I'm allergic to everything, but for me, ragweed triggers headaches that can turn to migraines. When I get migraines, no amount of medicine helps. I can barely walk, let alone hear the sound of balls hitting.

Fred
Fred, I am also a migraine sufferer. I go to a headach clinic. I am on a beta blocker every day and take a drug called ..Relpax when a migraine hits. I think you should see a doctor and get that drug to help, it does work. Without any drug help I get a headach 5 days a week and can not even leave the house. There is help available if you want it.

ccn7
11-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Maxalt is similar to Imitrex and works really good. The pill evaporates on your tongue and you don't have to drink a bunch to get it down. This is handy when it's a full blown migrane. I try to nip them in the bud. When I feel a headache coming on I take immediate action. If I don't have any prescription meds with me, a couple of motrin and a sudaphed or some other otc decongestant seems to help take the pressure off.
Am I the only one who takes refuge in a hot shower, lights out for comfort? I don't know whether it's the pulse of the water on my head or the steam, or the feeling of warmth (sometimes I get real cold sweat chills), that just seems to keep me from throwing up before the meds kick in. I would highly recommend it.
I've never gone to the pool hall with a migrane, but I've sure left in a hurry to get home before it kills me.

McCue Banger McCue

I find a hot shower will help sometimes if its not one of the real bad ones . I also get sick when they are real bad, ive had to go to the hospital a few times and get shots of some strong pain killers when i let it go thinking it would just go away. very important to act fast and dont think it will just go away.

9Ball_JJ
11-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Imitrex is magical...but magic is expensive.
-yow!
I agree with you on this one!!

And etimmons, I'm going to look into that as well. I'm like Fred and allergic to everything. So this might help me as well.

Cornerman
11-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Fred, I am also a migraine sufferer. I go to a headach clinic. I am on a beta blocker every day and take a drug called ..Relpax when a migraine hits. I think you should see a doctor and get that drug to help, it does work. Without any drug help I get a headach 5 days a week and can not even leave the house. There is help available if you want it.
Thanks. I appreciate it.

Since my migraines are allergy related, I'm on a weekly course of treating the allergies. I haven't had a migraine in two years, as opposed to getting migraines from late August to early October daily. Well, maybe I've had two, but they weren't so bad comparitively speaking.

When my migraines were severe, I missed work and on a few occassions ended up in the emergency room. I think that's behind me now. (Fingers very crossed).

Fred

CrownCityCorey
11-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Hi everyone!! I was just wondering if anybody on the board suffers from migraine headaches. If so, have they ever affected your pool playing?? What do you guys take in order to get some relief from the pain??
Personally, I get about 10-12 per year and I just ran out of my prescription for them so I'm taking a few excedrin migraine for the pain when I get one. Luckily, I've only gotten a migraine once while I was playing pool and it really threw off my game. If you suffer from them, you know what I mean. Well, I thought I'd throw this out there and see what kind of responses I get. Thanks. :D :cool:

I used to get them real bad, then I quit drinking caffeine. I hit about two weeks of non-stop withdrawl Migraines, they went away for good.

This was about 4 years ago. Started drinking coffee again (on occasion) quit the sodas altogether. Still no migraines :D .

Barring that move, take Excedrin and get your eyes checked:cool:

ajrack
11-18-2006, 01:32 AM
I have had migraines for over 40 years. Over the years I have found a few ways to ease them or hold them off...but not entirely. When low pressure weather comes to your town, many of us will get M's. Taking extra magnesium vitamins seems to help for some. Do not eat packaged processed foods late in the evening...the preservatives are what really cause the problems. I can eat a couple of hot dogs at 10 pm and almost bet that I may get a headache by 3 am. Coconut, pineapple, chocolate and cheese could also be a cause.
You might check online for other things. My doctor in Phoenix gave me some Propranolol /Inderal a few years ago and guess what? > it works GREAT for not having the pain. (And it only cost about $10 for 30)
It takes about 20-30 minutes for my headache to begin (I have learned how to notice when it is coming) I take a pill which works in about 15 minutes and NO PAIN !!! I still feel bad because of how the headache affects me but NO PAIN !! One special note* I have only had ONE migraine in all these years when I was playing pool...

whiteoak
12-16-2006, 11:22 AM
I have had 1 to 3 migraines per week all my life so i feel your pain.There are lots of good suggestions in this thread and from 47 years of personal experience you probably will have to figure out what works for you.Most are triggered by something;stress,lack of sleep.too much/too little caffeine,food/other allergies,etc.Some of the things that have worked for me include;the triptains(imitrex,zomig,maxalt,relpax),preventativ e drugs(nortriptylene,topomax),and as a last resort the relief meds that help most when the headache is inevitable(fioricet,without codeine if possible,with codeine as a last resort).The problem with the triptains and fioricet is that frequent use causes "rebound" headaches" from the meds themself.Good luck,Mike S.

xidica
12-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Wow. I can't even begin to believe what a migraine would be like as I've never had any. I'm so very grateful I don't have them.

You guy's keep your imitrex handy and what a good thread. Never thought how bad it could make your pool game(or life)

ridewiththewind
12-16-2006, 11:53 AM
I too, have experienced migraines my entire life. Hormones are a normal trigger for mine. Like clockwork, I used to get one every month. They used to put me in the ER often. I have also found that my sinuses will trigger them...this is more the case lately.

Now, as I have gotten older, I do not experience them as much...thank goodness...it's the closest I ever want to come to putting a gun to my head. If you've never experienced one, you cannot possibly know what it's like.

I have found that usually, I will get an ever-so faint twinge, or warning that one is fixin' to come on. I immediately take 800mg of ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin) and that usually does the trick. If it doesn't, then I know I'm in for a lollapalooza...and I'll be in bed, in a completely dark room, puking my guts out. Now, I have found that if you try to touch your chin to your chest, and apply a cold pack, or even a cold wash cloth, this can help lessen the migraine, and perhaps even make it go away. With the sinus ones, I will apply the cold pack or wash cloth across the sinus area....this helps out as well.

The ones that you have no real control over, and these were the ones that used to really do me in, are the ones that hit you in the middle of the night. To me, they are the worst.

If I have a migraine, and I have a league match scheduled....well, it ain't happening...period! I'm with Fred on this...there is just no way I could handle the lights over the table, let alone the sound of the balls contacting one another, and all the other sounds....not to mention the smells. Odors you may never notice otherwise, become very strong while having a migraine...and it can be anything that is normally pretty benign to the senses. Focus doesn't even exist...the pain over-powers everything else.

PS...Imitrex does not work for everybody...there is no halfway point with it, either it works right away for you, or it isn't going to.

Lisa

whiteoak
12-16-2006, 12:29 PM
I too, have experienced migraines my entire life. Hormones are a normal trigger for mine. Like clockwork, I used to get one every month. They used to put me in the ER often. I have also found that my sinuses will trigger them...this is more the case lately.

Now, as I have gotten older, I do not experience them as much...thank goodness...it's the closest I ever want to come to putting a gun to my head. If you've never experienced one, you cannot possibly know what it's like.

I have found that usually, I will get an ever-so faint twinge, or warning that one is fixin' to come on. I immediately take 800mg of ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin) and that usually does the trick. If it doesn't, then I know I'm in for a lollapalooza...and I'll be in bed, in a completely dark room, puking my guts out. Now, I have found that if you try to touch your chin to your chest, and apply a cold pack, or even a cold wash cloth, this can help lessen the migraine, and perhaps even make it go away. With the sinus ones, I will apply the cold pack or wash cloth across the sinus area....this helps out as well.

The ones that you have no real control over, and these were the ones that used to really do me in, are the ones that hit you in the middle of the night. To me, they are the worst.

If I have a migraine, and I have a league match scheduled....well, it ain't happening...period! I'm with Fred on this...there is just no way I could handle the lights over the table, let alone the sound of the balls contacting one another, and all the other sounds....not to mention the smells. Odors you may never notice otherwise, become very strong while having a migraine...and it can be anything that is normally pretty benign to the senses. Focus doesn't even exist...the pain over-powers everything else.

PS...Imitrex does not work for everybody...there is no halfway point with it, either it works right away for you, or it isn't going to.

Lisa
I agree.If a person gets a migraine that is full blown and cant be stopped,playing pool or anything else doesnt even enter the equation.Thx,M.S.

Cornerman
12-16-2006, 12:48 PM
I agree.If a person gets a migraine that is full blown and cant be stopped,playing pool or anything else doesnt even enter the equation.Thx,M.S.And here we are only talking about migraines. Anyone suffer from cluster headaches?

Fred

ez2h8
12-16-2006, 02:27 PM

Lisa

I am currently on FMLA (8 weeks so far) for migraines due to a twisted neck from extensive work in front of a computer for 13 years now. Going to a chiro for treatments and agree with alot of what was mentioned on here. (Red wine is a trigger for me though) I was surprised to hear someone else gets them in their sleep as well! All the docs I spoke with can't figure this out including my neurologist at the Ameican Migraine Center. My chiro thinks these are from the way I sleep and with a bad neck, the pain flares up while sleeping. Mine always occur between 3:30AM and 5:30AM when going to bed at midnight per say. Anything short of Demural(SP?) and Zanaflex doesn't do anything for the plain. Also, if you think your doc is not treating you well, find another. I have gone thru 6 doctors before I found one that actually took my migraine problem serious.

I must admit though, never have I once got a headache or migraine while playing pool. In the 20 years I have been playing, I have trained myself to forget about/not talk about the real world when I step in a pool hall and it's an amazing feeling. Pool is my cure-all for my daily problems :)

Just my 2 sense.
ez

ridewiththewind
12-16-2006, 04:00 PM
And here we are only talking about migraines. Anyone suffer from cluster headaches?

Fred

Actually, my ol' man gets them, Fred. They used to be really bad, drop him to his knees, but they only lasted about 30 seconds or so. The docs think it is a residual effect from when he was about 4 and was involved in a car accident. It was one of those big ol' Buicks from the early 60's, the kind that used to have the door handles with the recess space behind. He was sleeping, laying down, in the back seat, and well...the door handle went darn near through and through across the front of his skull. They had to remove the door from the car, with him still attached, and transport to the hospital...he died twice on the table. Has had a titanium plate in his skull ever since.

The put him on Depakote and Neuroten....seems to be working, he's only had one in the past year.

Lisa

ridewiththewind
12-16-2006, 04:06 PM
I was surprised to hear someone else gets them in their sleep as well! Mine always occur between 3:30AM and 5:30AM when going to bed at midnight per say.
ez

Well, you're not a freak...and not alone, I have heard others that get them in their sleep as well. And mine will hit in about that same time frame, as well. There is some concern that I may have Degenerative Disc Disease in my neck...possibly from 20+ years at a computer terminal.

Lisa

despotic931
12-16-2006, 04:15 PM
Fred, I suffer from both clusters and full blown migraines, I've tried everything from amatriptaline (sp?) to coding, and other narcotics, the best cure? I take about 1000mg of advil and about 1000mg of vicodin with a cup of coffee, so for about half and hour im wide awake, and then CRASH! :D I wake up feeling a lot better though! The clusters I just have to deal with for the most part, as a matter of fact I have missed a shot on a 9 ball due to a cluster...

DelaWho???
12-17-2006, 06:41 AM
Last week Friday, I left home early to play in a weekly 8 ball tourney at the Moose Lodge. I didn't get my nightly coffee (usually 2 cups in the evening), and sure enough I wake up at 3:45 in the middle of a whopper. Not even enough time to get some meds in me before the puking started. This one was by far the worst I've had in years. I was puking until almost noon on Saturday before it let up. I actually asked for a pistol, and I'm afraid I would have used it. Thank God manual tasks are almost impossible to perform, because that gun would have been loaded and against my temple if I could have managed it.

90% on mine I wake up with. I also have DDD with spinal cord impingment on my C6 vertabrae. I know muscle strain can cause them, what's called guarding (that's when surrounding muscle tenses to protect an injury) I end up in physical therapy for it once or twice a year. I guess I should slow down and remove some of the stressors from my life, but I can't. Life is for living, and as to pain....my dad used to say walk it off. Then again, he never had a migrane.

An interesting side note. Both Julius Ceasar, and Napoleon Boneparte suffered migranes

McCue Banger McCue

whiteoak
12-17-2006, 08:20 AM
Last week Friday, I left home early to play in a weekly 8 ball tourney at the Moose Lodge. I didn't get my nightly coffee (usually 2 cups in the evening), and sure enough I wake up at 3:45 in the middle of a whopper. Not even enough time to get some meds in me before the puking started. This one was by far the worst I've had in years. I was puking until almost noon on Saturday before it let up. I actually asked for a pistol, and I'm afraid I would have used it. Thank God manual tasks are almost impossible to perform, because that gun would have been loaded and against my temple if I could have managed it.

90% on mine I wake up with. I also have DDD with spinal cord impingment on my C6 vertabrae. I know muscle strain can cause them, what's called guarding (that's when surrounding muscle tenses to protect an injury) I end up in physical therapy for it once or twice a year. I guess I should slow down and remove some of the stressors from my life, but I can't. Life is for living, and as to pain....my dad used to say walk it off. Then again, he never had a migrane.

An interesting side note. Both Julius Ceasar, and Napoleon Boneparte suffered migranes

McCue Banger McCue
As another interesting side note Thomas Jefferson and,of particular interest to AZers,Jerry Franklin of Southwest cues fame suffered from migraines.M.S.

9Ball_JJ
12-18-2006, 08:36 AM
What are cluster headaches?? If they're as bad as a migraine....I don't want to imagine them.

Cornerman
12-18-2006, 10:04 AM
What are cluster headaches?? If they're as bad as a migraine....I don't want to imagine them.
I don't have cluster headaches. But, I've watched someone suffer from one.

Where migraines come with nausea, pressure, unbalance, and eye sensitive, clusters are about pain. Migraines normally last a while, possibly days. Clusters come in short bursts. With migraines, you might sit down and hang your head in your hands and close your eyes. With clusters, you might drop straight to your knees.

Fred

9Ball_JJ
12-18-2006, 12:21 PM
I don't have cluster headaches. But, I've watched someone suffer from one.

Where migraines come with nausea, pressure, unbalance, and eye sensitive, clusters are about pain. Migraines normally last a while, possibly days. Clusters come in short bursts. With migraines, you might sit down and hang your head in your hands and close your eyes. With clusters, you might drop straight to your knees.

Fred
Wow...I'm glad I don't have those. And to those that do, I can't even fathom how you cope with them.

DelaWho???
12-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Imagine what it would feel like if someone pushed an icepick through your eye or your temple right into your brain....That's a cluster headache

McCue Banger McCue

BVal
12-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Excedrin Migrane - I get them every now and then and this always does the trick and fast too.

ez2h8
12-18-2006, 08:01 PM
Well, you're not a freak...and not alone, I have heard others that get them in their sleep as well. And mine will hit in about that same time frame, as well. There is some concern that I may have Degenerative Disc Disease in my neck...possibly from 20+ years at a computer terminal.

Lisa

I guess my chiro and myself are on to something here then about the neck problems and getting mirgaines in my sleep. Looks like a few others on the board here have experienced this. I don't have 20 years of work related comp experience but yeah add all the time in high school, late nights on comp, weekends and I guess I would be closer to 20 before I went to my chiro. He joked with me and said "It took 13+ years to cause the damage, I won't get it healed in 13 weeks!" He does believe though the treatments will cure the migraines if I controll the stress in my life. Ahhh what a dream...

Thanks for sharing Lisa :)