PDA

View Full Version : Back it, and Jack it

BigDaddyInc.
11-16-2006, 05:52 PM
This move was pulled on me a long time ago i was playin a guy a race to 7 nine ball. The score was like 6 to 5 my favor im shootin the case nine ball and about mid stroke the guy says you wanna stop now and double the bet and start over? Well i instantly figured what a move and how disrespectful. I got pi$$ed off refused and could'nt concentrate dogged the nine and got beat and quit. All from that move he new the deal probably would get me off balance and of course that's why he did it. Now what i wanna know is there something i could have counter-attacked with we were playing for a hundred. Looking back the only thing i maybe could've countered with was to say "why back it up let's just double up right now" Any ideas?

bignasty
11-16-2006, 06:56 PM
never let a shark have the last word! turn it around and put it on him!for example...im a 10 to 1 favorite right now so you can pay me for this set and we can double it up and start over with the break! feel lucky! that will get his dander up and its good to make him play "aggrivated" chances are he needs to shark to win anyway! classy players dont do things like that!good luck

BigDaddyInc.
11-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Yes thank you big for the great advice.

ioCross
11-19-2006, 02:56 PM
you really shouldn't have let something like that bother you. usually when someone asks you to start over and double the bet, its when the opponent has just made it hill/hill, and the player is scared of losing due to momentum.

if he needed two, and you needed one, and you were shooting on the 9, it wouldn't make any sense whatsoever for him to say that. you shoudl've stopped at the shot, and taken a break.. gone to the bathroom or whatever, then after you've composed yourself shoot the ball. so by you missing that ball, and losing the next game you pretty much did the exact thing he was hoping you'd do.

or lambast him for his poor sportsmanship, then make that 9ball. the reason you confront him, is for a mental reason. in your head if you feel you caught him trying to pull a move, you'll feel more angry than confused and would try your hardest to make what he did nto effective.

sde
11-19-2006, 03:05 PM
This move was pulled on me a long time ago i was playin a guy a race to 7 nine ball. The score was like 6 to 5 my favor im shootin the case nine ball and about mid stroke the guy says you wanna stop now and double the bet and start over? Well i instantly figured what a move and how disrespectful. I got pi$$ed off refused and could'nt concentrate dogged the nine and got beat and quit. All from that move he new the deal probably would get me off balance and of course that's why he did it. Now what i wanna know is there something i could have counter-attacked with we were playing for a hundred. Looking back the only thing i maybe could've countered with was to say "why back it up let's just double up right now" Any ideas?

My experience is that double the bet and start over move is when the score is hill hill so what he actually did was concede that game and you should NOT have shot that nine ball. imo:eek:

ioCross
11-19-2006, 03:07 PM
well, there really is no such thing as a set of rules for gambling. i sincerely doubt the guy woulda been like "oh yeah well i guess my comment automatically forfits the match... here's my hard earned money"

ive seen some pretty dirty things done by usually normal people when the set amounts got into the several hundreds.

rule of thumb is always be careful, and always make them post.

ChrisOnline
11-19-2006, 03:13 PM
funny thing is.. once you would have made that ball to win, technically the next set would be double for him while then you would be playing him with his money...

chris

Pinocchio
11-19-2006, 04:54 PM
I agree with Chris no reply needed. Make the nine an go on with it.

sde
11-19-2006, 05:49 PM
well, there really is no such thing as a set of rules for gambling. i sincerely doubt the guy woulda been like "oh yeah well i guess my comment automatically forfits the match... here's my hard earned money"

ive seen some pretty dirty things done by usually normal people when the set amounts got into the several hundreds.

rule of thumb is always be careful, and always make them post.

My mistake.:o I misread the origanal post to mean He needed that 9 ball to get to the hill.

Steve

inthezone
11-19-2006, 06:03 PM
funny thing is.. once you would have made that ball to win, technically the next set would be double for him while then you would be playing him with his money...

chris
A common misconception.....if you win the first set it is YOUR money you are betting, not his.

JCIN
11-19-2006, 10:09 PM
That avatar is killing me:D

Did you make it?

As far as the move, as Roadie stated, pretty standard stuff. If you know the guy and like the action go for it. As with everything else in life if its a stranger, beware.

Gerry
11-20-2006, 04:42 AM
Roadie is right on with his posts!

I'd also add, if ANYONE starts talking in my back stroke, the last thing I'm doing is letting it slide. That only opens the door for more crap later on. You MUST demand the same respect you are giving your opponent.

I agree if you win the set the money IS technically yours, but I still look at it as playing on the other guys money, so by tripling the bet you are only really doubling it on your side.

These moves are very common, and can be a dead give away that you are playing an experienced road agent. If that was the first move, and you did nothing to stop or change it, you can expect more til He finds what bothers you. I never liked playing guys who pull crap like that, but it does make me buckle down.

Gerry

xidica
11-20-2006, 05:42 AM
Was the shot on the 9 easy?

Had you earned your respect that night? If so, the gentleman or lady should have simply said "that's good" and re-racked/lost.

If not, I would have stood up, stayed silent, walked an entire 360 around the table (clockwise since I'm right handed), while performing deep breathing/relaxation techniques.

Don't even respond to that guy. Silence can really scare folks, especially combined with good shot making.

MrLucky
11-20-2006, 05:51 AM
Was the shot on the 9 easy?

Had you earned your respect that night? If so, the gentleman or lady should have simply said "that's good" and re-racked/lost.

If not, I would have stood up, stayed silent, walked an entire 360 around the table (clockwise since I'm right handed), while performing deep breathing/relaxation techniques.

Don't even respond to that guy. Silence can really scare folks, especially combined with good shot making.

The best technique with these guys for me is to not listen to them I block them out and if necessary:D go to the bathroom and recompose then continue to ream them ! That in my experience usually shuts them down!

Black-Balled
11-20-2006, 06:58 AM
My experience is that double the bet and start over move is when the score is hill hill so what he actually did was concede that game and you should NOT have shot that nine ball. imo:eek:

He's not playing with his fiuckin Mom! You can't thing the dude is gonna agree with, "oh you said that so you lose the set, even though it is hill-hill".
Maybe your advice shoulda been, "when playing a set for money, make up as many rules as you can...".

No, I am laughing. Inside, where it counts.

StormHotRod300
11-20-2006, 11:40 PM
I actually had this move tried on me tonight.

I'm playing a guy i know who is a solid A rated player he's a SL 9 in APA 9ball and SL7 in 8ball, where as i am a SL5 in 9ball and SL6 in 8ball.

We are playing on a 9ft Diamond Pro. And just playing cheap sets 10$ race to 4.

First set i win 4-3. He wins the next one 4-3, i win the next one 4-3, and when its hill-hill, he askes if i want to start over and double it. And i looked at him a bit funny and was like, Oh you mean Back it up and Jack it up?

And he says yes. I thought about it for about 5seconds and was like naaaa i am good.

The main reason, WAS, i was getting very lucky on alot of the games, and he even admitted he was a bit off today. He hung a few 9balls, and missed a couple times on the 7ball or 8ball. So i knew when he said he was a bit off today, wasnt some BS line.

But he ended up quitting and i won a whopping 20$ lol. But its the fact that i actually was holding my own against him on a 9ft playing even.

xidica
11-21-2006, 12:19 AM
The best technique with these guys for me is to not listen to them I block them out and if necessary:D go to the bathroom and recompose then continue to ream them ! That in my experience usually shuts them down!

No jokin', that's exactly how I do it. Rep points for you sir! :D

Systim6
11-21-2006, 03:07 AM
You should have drilled the 9 grabbed a coin and said " your down a hundred, now we'll double it." and then flip the coin in the air.

Snapshot9
11-21-2006, 03:57 AM
That is done hill-to-hill BEFORE THE GAME STARTS, not after, or a proposition to win by 2 if agreed by both players.

I would have said no (who backs up when they are ahead), sunk the 9, and then said, okay, we can double the bet for the NEXT SET.

sde
11-21-2006, 04:10 AM
He's not playing with his fiuckin Mom! You can't thing the dude is gonna agree with, "oh you said that so you lose the set, even though it is hill-hill".
Maybe your advice shoulda been, "when playing a set for money, make up as many rules as you can...".

No, I am laughing. Inside, where it counts.

Did you read post #11 of this thread before you posted this?