PDA

View Full Version : Slowing Down Simonis 860

!Smorgass Bored
11-16-2006, 08:56 PM
A new poster on another site asked about slowing down his Simonis 860 cloth and I replied with my usual tongue-in-cheek, but then I thought that with the readership here, there might be 'other' possible correct answers.

dave y. wrote:
> My Simonis 860 cloth has recently become way too fast.
> I like fast, but this is getting too hard to control the ball.
> Will a good cleaning slow it down?

Some may disagree with this procedure but, here's what I suggest:
Before you go to bed at night, put an armadillo on top of your
pooltable. At some point during the night, an 18 wheeler will come
along and crush the armadillo. In the morning, your Simonis will 'play
slower'... imo
Doug
( I have this procedure patented, so don't try to 'steal it'.... )

Please post more serious thoughts on this topic... imo

satman
11-16-2006, 09:04 PM
That's a great method. It will play just like some of the bar-table cloth. My term is,"this like playing in mud". I'm not too sure I want that semi coming thru my family room though. Better get a few more kinks out of the system. Sam

curlyscues
11-16-2006, 10:50 PM
That's a great method. It will play just like some of the bar-table cloth. My term is,"this like playing in mud". I'm not too sure I want that semi coming thru my family room though. Better get a few more kinks out of the system. Sam
if you want it to play like mud, just add some dirt and water. although keeping it real clean is what i would like to do, it won't slow things down any. chalk dust, powder, dirt and natural wear are what usually slows down cloth.
M.C.

mjantti
11-16-2006, 11:43 PM
I think the cloth gets faster if the nap has worn off. In that case I doubt there isn't much to do. Maintaining it well and avoiding brushing is a good way to keep cloth in good shape.

Edit: Oh, you said "serious thoughts"... I'd say eat your pizza for a week using your cloth as a plate should help. If not, apply a bucketful of honey, ear wax and tar on the cloth. Also, like in some wintertyres, add spikes to the balls (I mean...well, you know what I mean).

unknownpro
11-17-2006, 12:04 AM
It's probably the rails that are faster. Cleaning or polishing the balls and wiping the rails with a damp cloth should slow them down a little. Humidity makes them faster also.

unknownpro

Gerry
11-17-2006, 05:13 AM
Slowing 860 is like asking Speedy Gonzalez to run in Army boots!....it's sacrilegious:D

Other than that, I've never heard of any ways to slow cloth down besides adjusting the humidity. My table in Florida would slow as the heat and humidity went up in my Garage billiard room.

There are some situations I can see to try slower cloth, like on those freakish AMF tables I played on once. The bed of the table was normal Simonis speed, but the rails were like super balls. No lie, I could NOT control anything going to the rail. The only thing they were good for was rail break shots playing 14.1!:D

Gerry

Snapshot9
11-17-2006, 05:25 AM
that Simonis 860 is TOO FAST, and always have. It chaps my grit when I am playing a player with HALF THE STROKE as I have, and he is able to perform a hard shape shot just because the table rolls fast and easy.

If someone shoots a back cut to the corner with inside english and 3 rail shape, I want them to EARN IT. Power or muscle shots on Simonis 860 are almost NON EXISTENT because it rolls so darn fast.

I much prefer Championship cloth.

ukpooladdict
11-17-2006, 05:34 AM
i wish i had that problem, in uk they hardly ever use simonis and the cloth is terrible..it really is bad..so bad it takes alot for me to play on it...only if i can't play anywhere else...try and imagine the slowest cloth you played on, it's like shooting on carpet

tjlmbklr
11-17-2006, 06:42 AM
I guess I wasn't aware of the speed ratings of Simonis. But where I shoot league they use Granito Tournament 2000 cloth, and it is like shooting on glass. I agree that it is almost too fast, but it is night and day difference then on my 860 cloth. Next time I will go faster because the Simonis wasn't what I expected, maybe 760.

Pushout
11-17-2006, 07:01 AM
Doug, I just gave you my first ever rep! You've come up with some good ones over the years, but this has got to be one of your best!

tedkaufman
11-17-2006, 07:07 AM
You want to slow 860 down? Shoot for a week on Simonis 300. The next time you play on 860 it will feel like you're rolling the ball through a corn field.

CaptainHook
11-17-2006, 07:14 AM
You want to slow 860 down? Shoot for a week on Simonis 300. The next time you play on 860 it will feel like you're rolling the ball through a corn field.

LOL, great post.:D

Cheez Dawg
11-17-2006, 07:38 AM

:eek: :D :D :D :D :D :D

Funny stuff. I used to say that about a local bar that used to run a Tuesday night tournament.
I also used to say playing there was like trying to play on a gravel road...:eek:

ironman
11-17-2006, 07:58 AM
A new poster on another site asked about slowing down his Simonis 860 cloth and I replied with my usual tongue-in-cheek, but then I thought that with the readership here, there might be 'other' possible correct answers.

dave y. wrote:
> My Simonis 860 cloth has recently become way too fast.
> I like fast, but this is getting too hard to control the ball.
> Will a good cleaning slow it down?

Some may disagree with this procedure but, here's what I suggest:
Before you go to bed at night, put an armadillo on top of your
pooltable. At some point during the night, an 18 wheeler will come
along and crush the armadillo. In the morning, your Simonis will 'play
slower'... imo
Doug
( I have this procedure patented, so don't try to 'steal it'.... )

Please post more serious thoughts on this topic... imo

I would have bet anything he said to put some boards under one end of the table.

ironman
11-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Slowing 860 is like asking Speedy Gonzalez to run in Army boots!....it's sacrilegious:D

Other than that, I've never heard of any ways to slow cloth down besides adjusting the humidity. My table in Florida would slow as the heat and humidity went up in my Garage billiard room.

There are some situations I can see to try slower cloth, like on those freakish AMF tables I played on once. The bed of the table was normal Simonis speed, but the rails were like super balls. No lie, I could NOT control anything going to the rail. The only thing they were good for was rail break shots playing 14.1!:D

GerryWhat in the hell does sacrilegious:D mean. Please don't tell me to buy a dictionary, that is for dummies.

tedkaufman
11-17-2006, 09:55 AM
:eek: :D :D :D :D :D :D

Funny stuff. I used to say that about a local bar that used to run a Tuesday night tournament.
I also used to say playing there was like trying to play on a gravel road...:eek:

I know a place exactly like that, complete with a cueball that feels like an anvil, with a mind all its own.

Hal
11-17-2006, 10:26 AM
What in the hell does sacrilegious:D mean. Please don't tell me to buy a dictionary, that is for dummies.
That's those little pills that you put in a cup of coffee that's hotter then hell.

DaveFagan
11-17-2006, 11:14 AM
That's those little pills that you put in a cup of coffee that's hotter then hell.

I thought it was the sack they came in and that it was used to make the coffee hotter than Hell, which is, I beileve 10 miles from Indio, and that a modicum of Indio sand will slow down the wheels of the fastest Simonis, perhaps even protecting the wayward armadillo. The armadillo is a flat pungent decoration used mostly on I-10 east and west, or is that an aardvark? Whatever, they don't make great pool players, and they were a staple for the diet of the traveling hippies of the 70's. Traditionally, one hippie would eat while the other watched for traffic. Boy, I sure miss the old days, when I can remember them.

cueandcushion
11-19-2006, 01:09 AM
Just invite a bunch of smokers to play pool. The tar from the smoke will make dust adhere to the cloth better and trap in moisture. It will slow down on its own very quickly. Good luck!

DaveK
11-19-2006, 10:04 PM
A new poster on another site asked about slowing down his Simonis 860 cloth and I replied with my usual tongue-in-cheek...

OK, this is an easy one ... just get a couple of cats and misplace the brush.

Dave

Gerry
11-20-2006, 04:51 AM
I won't tell you to go get a dictionary, so I did!:D

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source sac·ri·le·gious (skr-ljs, -ljs) Pronunciation Key
adj.
Grossly irreverent toward what is or is held to be sacred.
Having committed sacrilege.

http://dictionary.reference.com

Gerry

Sprite
11-20-2006, 06:17 AM
I agree. Simonis 860 is just too fast and i feel that it is not normal.

tjlmbklr
11-20-2006, 07:45 AM
I agree. Simonis 860 is just too fast and i feel that it is not normal.

I have a hard time believing that people feel that way, unless they are used to a knapp cloth. Try Granito Tournament 2000 and then you'll know the meaning of fast. I talked to one of the table mechanics where I shoot and he said that Tourny 2000 cloth is way faster the 860, 760, and is almost as fast as the cloth used on the 3 cushion tables.

I'd love if there was a accurate speed rating somewhere that would give the differences on all the available worsted cloths, like a 1-10 rating or something........; is there? Anyone....Bueller, Bueller,..........maybe I should start a thread on the subject.