PDA

View Full Version : Blasting us low post count members

tk_it_ez
11-17-2006, 02:05 AM
It seems as though most people would like this MB to grow and have more people take an active role in expressing their opinions. I was just reading another thread and something really got to me that I have seen on numerous occasions. Do some of the "regular posters" on here know why some of us lurkers don't post most of the time? If someone has a low post count, say under 50, and they post something that the majority does not like or does not agree with, they get blasted over the whole low post count thing.

I will be the first to admit that if I see two posters arguing over an opinion and one person has a 1000 posts compared to someone with 1 post I will usually give the benefit of the doubt to the 1000 post person. But most of that comes down to if I have read, agree with or respect the person's opinions from other posts of theirs that I have read.

I believe my post count is around 30 right now but it may be lower than that, don't know for sure until this gets posted. If I ordered a cue from so and so cuemaker that usually does a good job and the points came out uneven and the inlays were not good and I posted something about it on here I would bet good money that one of the first things I will get blasted over is my low post count. Why???? Everyone on here can see my post count. Let them take that into consideration when they make their own decision about the issue. That doesn't mean to totally disregard someones opinion or experiences. Can't anyone come up with anything better than "don't listen to him, look at his post count". I am sure that many of the 1000 post people know someone, that will never post on here, that knows more about pool and cues than we ever will. (Just to clarify, I am not one of those people) If they would for some reason decide to post and then get blasted over a low post count, do you think they will ever come back?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Seemed to me that this is where it should go since it has to do with posting opinions about pool and cues. Mr. Wilson, feel free to move it if you think it belongs in NPR.

Final word from a low post count member (lurker). Please don't blast a person's opinions or experiences just because of a low post count, but take it into consideration if you want. You just might miss out on some good info or on a good story later on if you run people off after their first few posts.

Just my 2 cents,

Nathan:)

tk_it_ez
11-17-2006, 02:25 AM
One other thing that I forgot to point out is that some of the high post count members, a minority of them, rack up the posts with junk posts. I could rack up 500 posts in no time if I wanted to post nothing all the time. I get a feeling that some members only post to get their counts up. I'm sure that many of you know some of the members that I am talking about. 10% real posts, 90% junk posts.

Nathan

manwon
11-17-2006, 03:11 AM
One other thing that I forgot to point out is that some of the high post count members, a minority of them, rack up the posts with junk posts. I could rack up 500 posts in no time if I wanted to post nothing all the time. I get a feeling that some members only post to get their counts up. I'm sure that many of you know some of the members that I am talking about. 10% real posts, 90% junk posts.

Nathan

Nathan, I total agree with you here. There are allot of posters who use this forum and many others as a place to post Non-pool / billiard related material as a way to build their reputation.

There are also little groups of posters who on a frequent basis give each other reputation points for this material.

This also bothers me, but it is not our place to complain about this, as long as they use the designated category for this material, and these people use it.

However, I do not agree with the other part of your post at all. What I see many times are new posters like those you have outlined who enter posts without the proper knowledge of the subject of the post.

This can be avoided by doing research within the forums data base before making foolish comments or by entering the post and asking questions if you do not understand something. Someone asking a question is seeking knowledge, and this is not stupidity, this is an intelligent way of gaining information. Someone speaking from a lack of knowledge without asking a question, however gives the appearance of being stupid and this there is know excuse for.

Many times new posters will say things that they feel are correct, but can not back them up, and this is a good way to look like a fool on any subject when you have a brain trust of individuals well schooled listening to point less nonsense that occurs here and on other forum's.

I suspect what I am saying is, it is better to either ask questions or to keep quit than to open your mouth and let everyone know that you have no clue what you are talking about. Because once you do this your creditability is kind of shot and first impressions are very long lasting.

Hope this helps

Manwon

rackem
11-17-2006, 03:22 AM
Yeah right you want to buy some rice?:D :D :D :cool:

tk_it_ez
11-17-2006, 03:39 AM
Manwon, I agree that sometimes new posters jump in over their heads. On most pool subjects I would be over my head. I come here to enjoy myself and try to learn as much as I can. I will also gladly help someone else if I can.

My point was that there are people that are very experienced with pool that don't post often. Everyone starts at 1 post.

My example was if I came on here and told about a bad experience with a well known cuemaker everyone would start laying into me because of my low post count and tell others to not listen to me. Instead, everyone that has had a good experience should post such instead of accusing people of having a hidden agenda. And yes, I will agree that sometimes posters do have a hidden agenda, and they could have 5 or 5000 posts.

This mostly happens when discussing a cuemaker's work, a dealer or something along these lines but it also does happen with other subjects.

I guess I just need more proof that someone has a hidden agenda than just a low post count. Example: 1 negative comment and 100 positive about a cuemaker would be plenty of evidence for me to trust the cuemaker. Nobody needs to point a low post count out to me, I can see it right there on the screen just like everyone else.

Thanks,

Nathan

cueandcushion
11-17-2006, 04:26 AM
I think a lot of people take more into account than just post numbers. If you are posting anonymously vs using your real name etc. If you are posting mostly sales vs adding to discussions of several different forums. I personally sometimes post just to vent frustrations. Not really contributing to any discussion but contributing to my own mental sanity. I post a lot to non-pool related things too. Why? I work 60 hr weeks with pool..sometimes I want to get away...Sometimes I want to offer suggestions for change...sometimes I just want to tell a joke. Everyone has agendas when they come online, just that some are financial and some are not. I value all posters comments. I disagree with some of them but as a business owner it is always important to keep your ears and eyes open to new viewpoints so that you can move forward with new ideas. Its also important to all of us just to have fun and make pool better for everyone involved. The general public that is not obsessed with pool financially supports the people that ARE obsessed with it. Without the bangers or lurkers or whatever you want to label them....most pool players would be without a place to play. They are the ones I personally want to hear MORE from. The guys and gals that cannot run more than two balls. They are the ones I want to keep coming back to my room. Those are the ones that are afraid to speak up because of being a novice. Those are the ones I wish I could convince that their voice DOES need to be heard. My $0.02. :)

rackmsuckr
11-17-2006, 05:16 AM
As one of the more prolific posters here, I can tell you that a lot of my count was due to a cue survey, tournament pictures where I labeled each one separately, and jokes in the NPR forum. I also try to catch birthdays when I can.

Some of the things I post may be meaningless to some, but I know that a little word here or there can brighten someone's day. It is not meant to boost post counts (I am trying to lower mine! :p ) or to garner rep points, although those are nice too. It is just me. I talk a lot in real life too. :D

As far as the rice comment, I don't get it, but I hope it wasn't derogatory. :o

I do agree that sometimes people with low post counts have been made to feel inferior or somehow not have credibility. Just like pool playing, we all started out not knowing how to hold the cue! And we all have the ability to get to a credible level. ;)

ioCross
11-17-2006, 05:42 AM
the old adage of quality vs quantity.

ive been regestered for a while, but never actually actively posted or really looked through the fourms till i started looking for a cue. now i cant help but chime in with my 2 cents whenever theres a topic i can contribute to :)

in response to what you said about people bashing the low count posters, i think it all really has to do with the content of your post.

parvus1202
11-17-2006, 05:55 AM
There were times when new posters just jump in into arguments, curse everybody. You suspects that he was an old timer registering new screen name. So wether low posts or gazillion posts we threat everybody the same. We just don't know who are new registrants or old timers. I've been here for awhile but I got just over 220 posts. I come here to read news and do few comments. No arguments for me.

Hierovision
11-17-2006, 05:57 AM
it all really has to do with the content of your post.

This is true. If someone brings up post count as their sole argument for why everyone should disregard a new forum member, you really ought to add them to your ignore list. I saw a recent new post from a low-count poster that was obviously aimed at stirring the pot, and not many people mentioned his low post count. They sure mentioned how horribly obvious his intentions were, but not so much the post count. It truly is the content that matters.

ioCross
11-17-2006, 06:05 AM
This is true. If someone brings up post count as their sole argument for why everyone should disregard a new forum member, you really ought to add them to your ignore list. I saw a recent new post from a low-count poster that was obviously aimed at stirring the pot, and not many people mentioned his low post count. They sure mentioned how horribly obvious his intentions were, but not so much the post count. It truly is the content that matters.

yeah i have yet to feel like i wasnt welcome in any of the threads i've posted on. granted i havent really posted on anything too controversial yet.

also im one of those people that usually have something to say when i speak (well aside from this post but its late/early so cut me some slack) so it's not like i like to hear/see the sound/letters of my voice/post.

tedkaufman
11-17-2006, 06:06 AM
I don't think the quantity of posts has any bearing on the value of one's post. I've seen, and still see daily, people with high post counts who never have a useful thing to say. Yet, for example, Roadie's first post, was one of the best I had seen here, and he continues to add lucid, pertinent, well presented additions as his total grows. That is not to say that all those with high post totals have nothing to say, either. Rackemsucker is a highly intelligent woman who consistently impresses me with the quality of her thoughts and her ability to express them.

HIRUN526
11-17-2006, 06:15 AM
I think post numbers have nothing to do with a post...if you want to post a post or respond to a post do it. If you believe you have something to offer or have an opinion on someones post, Just Do It.

Sometimes your right and sometimes your wrong...so what, that's just part of life. You will find that 99% of the people that post on AZ will not attack you, some may have different thoughts/beliefs or have factual info that may help you and that is what makes the forums so great.

It's all about participation... so jump in and enjoy the abuse (ooops, I mean't the Forums) !

Welcome.

pooltchr
11-17-2006, 06:17 AM
A low post count only indicates how often someone makes a comment on the forum. It has nothing to do with their knowledge of pool. In fact, it's quite possible that they are spending more time at the pool table than they are at the computer.
Steve

Cornerman
11-17-2006, 06:53 AM
in response to what you said about people bashing the low count posters, i think it all really has to do with the content of your post.
I think this is exactly correct.

I also think that anytime someone uses the "low count" argument, I think it's usually part of a (valid) suspicion that someone has just logged on (either a new poster, veteran poster, or banned poster) with a single intent:

To snipe anonymously.

Fred

Black-Balled
11-17-2006, 06:59 AM
It seems as though ...they get blasted over the whole low post count thing.

...Just my 2 cents,

I wouldn't let it bug you too much. Nobody's $.02 is worth more than another's.

Let the posting continue!:)

CaptainHook
11-17-2006, 07:07 AM
I look at our Forum in a different way. I see us all sitting around at the local Pool hall talking shop. If a new person want's to join the conversation we will all listen, if they say something stupid they are going to get BBQ'd, if they have some good points to add to the subject, we as a group feel more comfortable with them sitting in with us and they become part of our group. If a subject comes up that we need more information on, we yell over to the old timers playing Golf on the Snooker table.:D

:D

TheCueHunter
11-17-2006, 07:23 AM

Cornerman
11-17-2006, 07:48 AM
Look at my threads and see even when i ask a normal question i get blasted by name droppers and those alike

When you say "my threads," I assume you mean the ones you start, and not just your posts.

You have four. You asked a Viking Tour question, and the man who can answer it the best answered you. No blasting. No name dropping.

You asked about getting a used Diamond Table, and got the very best answer immediately. No blasting, no name dropping.

You asked about action in WVA. You got answers. No blasting. Of course names were mentioned since that was part of your question. Yet you remarked that nobody was answering you because you are new. Did it ever occur to you that nobody answered you (other than the people who answered you) because they aren't from WVA and don't have any answers to give you?

And the fourth, your first line was aimed at stirring the pot. And the pot was stirred, but hardly anything to sneeze at.

What can I possibly be missing?

Fred

CaptainHook
11-17-2006, 07:51 AM
I could not agree with you more if you are new no matter how much better you play than everyone here you get blasted and not respected by there sick little click, and the bad thing is even the moderator is the same click like persona. Look at my threads and see even when i ask a normal question i get blasted by name droppers and those alike

I was never Blasted, or Flamed or BBQ'd when I was a newb. I had a very nice welcome. In the almost a year I have been posting, I only had one guy try and start some crap, and I just ignored him. I recently found out he was banned some time ago. The Mods are doing a great job.:)

ironman
11-17-2006, 07:56 AM
As one of the more prolific posters here, I can tell you that a lot of my count was due to a cue survey, tournament pictures where I labeled each one separately, and jokes in the NPR forum. I also try to catch birthdays when I can.

Some of the things I post may be meaningless to some, but I know that a little word here or there can brighten someone's day. It is not meant to boost post counts (I am trying to lower mine! :p ) or to garner rep points, although those are nice too. It is just me. I talk a lot in real life too. :D

As far as the rice comment, I don't get it, but I hope it wasn't derogatory. :o

I do agree that sometimes people with low post counts have been made to feel inferior or somehow not have credibility. Just like pool playing, we all started out not knowing how to hold the cue! And we all have the ability to get to a credible level. ;)

No matter how hard you try, ho right you are, or how you cute you are, not everybody is going to agree with. Some aren't going to agree when they know you are right. Right Linda?

pharaoh68
11-17-2006, 08:35 AM
This is the dumbest thing I ever read! I mean, c'mon! The guy who started this thread only has 40-something posts! I've got over 1,700!!

I shant waste my time mingling with all of you low-posters!!!

TheCueHunter
11-17-2006, 08:39 AM

Cornerman
11-17-2006, 09:06 AM
well fred if you look at my replies in the last one i was asking a question that i wanted to hear an answer to and all the replies i got were blasting me at trying to start something in which i was not. I was asking how he felt now. Keep in mind this is a guy who fled a tournament and cost the guy who bought him in the calcutta a good amount of money. And then blasts the small tournaments because they dont pay enough ie. the us open. And then he signs up for the viking tour championship and wins the us open. i just wanted to know if the sudden change of heart was due to the sudden demise of the IPT. AS for JS i like him and root for him, but just wanted to know about the apparent backpeddling. So instead of searching my history just answer the questions
First you say "look at my threads," then you say "instead of searching my history..." What is the answer to that?

You start a post with $hit stirring in mind, but then say "I was just asking a simple question." Can you not see that your words are filled with aggressivenes, passive and active? It wasn't a simple question. It was an attack, and everyone saw it as such. Even now, you say "I like him," but at the same time you put him down with words like "keep in mind this is a guy who fled a tournament..."

You bring up a nearly two year old post, disregarding anything that has happened in between.

And now, you want to blame all the negative replies to you because you're new? Right.

Fred <~~~ has nothing to do with newness and everything to do with content.

TheCueHunter
11-17-2006, 09:18 AM

VIProfessor
11-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Let me preface this by stating that I too am a new poster (newer than you are in fact), and that I cannot disagree more strongly with your statement (in your original post--check the title) that new posters are blasted just because they're new. Since joining this forum I have received nothing but positive feedback from new and old posters alike (I thank you all). What it boils down to, like in any pool environment, is that you are judged by what you bring to the table. I've seen where people have rushed to assist newer posters who were asking genuine questions about the game. At the same time, pool players and enthusiasts will quickly jump on someone whose words and/or conduct are, let us say, below a certain standard. A review of the threads indicates that so far, your postings fall in the latter category.

Let's begin with your assertion that you are only asking an honest question. How can you logically claim to ask the general public how one man feels? If that was your intent you could have contacted him privately. But further, I believe that you have underestimated the intensity of the emotions that arise when the IPT is mentioned. Are you not mindful of how much hope the IPT seemed to promise for the future of the game? Are you unaware of how many players began playing and practicing again? Of how many thousands and thousands of practice hours were spent to prepare for the events? Do you not know that many people quit their jobs and went into debt so that they could give their best shot at what seemed like the best opportunity for pool players that had come along in generations? If you do know these things, I believe that you should be able to understand how vehemently people react to any defense of the IPT in the face of its failure to pay players, and its apparent collapse.

Lastly, can you not conduct your postings with some semblance of civility? We are here to share information and to discuss ideas, not to attack each other personally. In the final analysis, your postings are not attacked for their newness as much as they are for their rawness. "The fault lies not in our stars...."

Cornerman
11-17-2006, 09:43 AM
still no one has answered anything. All the old posters just immediately start finding negatives in things i post. Next time fred you hit the quote or quick reply button try not talking about me but talking about the subject matter of the thread that this guy who feels just like me started. You think you can do that. Huh? huh?
No, I can't do that. The little quote button is there for a reason. To quote the post to which I'm responding. And I'm responding to you. You asked people to look at your posts. And I don't think the other guy feels just like you.

And it's the same song. You're trying to blame your woes on "old posters vs. new poster." Get over it. It's not because you're new. It's because your posts and words rub people the wrong way.

There was little reason to respond to your JS thread, but some people did. As I said, there was already two years of discussion on it, plus the bigger fact that you took his post out of context. Plus you were asking one person only. JS. And you expected other people to give answers??? Now that's another issue in of itself.

But, again, it has nothing to do with new poster syndrome (which I have addressed every single time I've stupidly replied to your posts). It's about content. And some new posters as well as veteran posters have objectionable content. My posts included.

Fred

TheCueHunter
11-17-2006, 09:49 AM

VIProfessor
11-17-2006, 10:01 AM
The spelling is "Clique"!

Rich R.
11-17-2006, 10:04 AM
All the old posters just immediately start finding negatives in things i post.
Stop posting negaitves and old posters won't be able to find them.

mikepage
11-17-2006, 10:27 AM
I look at our Forum in a different way. I see us all sitting around at the local Pool hall talking shop. If a new person want's to join the conversation we will all listen, if they say something stupid they are going to get BBQ'd, if they have some good points to add to the subject, we as a group feel more comfortable with them sitting in with us and they become part of our group. If a subject comes up that we need more information on, we yell over to the old timers playing Golf on the Snooker table.:D

It's interesting to think about whether or to what extent people interact
differently here than in person. I think there are both legitimate and
illegitimate reasons to interact differently here. The illegitimate
ones have to do with exploiting the anonymity or the distance--kinda
like flipping the bird to another driver when you're safely driving away.

But there are legitimate reasons too that have to do with the fact this
is not a chat room but rather is an archived discussion forum. We are
always "on the record." What that means to me is we participants--those
of us who care about the quality of the searchable archived
information-- share some responsibility to expose the nonsense or at
least to highlight the potential nonsense so that further discussion
might lead to more insight.

A few years ago an up&coming pro-level player spent several weeks in
Fargo. Very nice guy. People here enjoyed him and some people learned
a lot from him. Amazed at his ability to kick to play safe, somebody
asked about his kicking ability--how did he do it? did he have a
system? He said several interesting things about lining up kicks.
Then after someone pressed him further about his "system," he started
relaying in an authoritative tone some stuff about angles and aiming for
the corner of the adjacent pool table, etc. Some of what he was saying
made no sense and clearly was not what he was *actually* doing when he
was at the table. I could have demonstrated why what he was saying made
no sense, but I chose not to. In my professional life, that's what I do
all the time, and that's what people do to me. I expect people to ask
me to clarify what I am saying, and I expect people to challenge me to
support what I'm saying. When they call me on something, and perhaps
show me my reasoning is wrong, that's not a personal affront to me.
But there's a cultural dynamic in pool (and elsewhere) where the good
player is expected to be the expert and to have the inner truth on all
aspects of what he does. In that dynamic, a challenge of a player's
assertion is a challenge of his stature to be making assertions.
In that environment, where challenging him is kind of a personal
affront, I keep quiet.

Had he made the same assertions here, I would have challenged those
assertions.

This cultural divide is evident in this forum as well. We see it
whenever someone responds to the challenge of an idea by bringing up who
is a better pool player. In their mind, the challenge of an assertion
is tantamount to a challenge of the asserter's stature. This is foreign
to me.

BRKNRUN
11-17-2006, 11:07 AM
I take no stock in post count and very little stock in rep points...

As far as I am concerned every poster is an idiot until thier words prove otherwise....

Quite frankly....Any post (or thread for that matter) must capture my attention...If I don't like what I am reading...I usually don't make it to the end of the post (or thread)...

I very well may fully read what you have to say in one thread and totally ignore it in the other.......

It really does not matter how many prior stupid posts someone makes....If they post something interesting...I will read it...

Black-Balled
11-17-2006, 11:12 AM
...As far as I am concerned every poster is an idiot until thier words prove otherwise....

Sometimes, the mere fact that everyone in the world is inferior to me is the only thing that keeps me smiling.

bomber
11-17-2006, 11:19 AM
I have decided that there are a lot of people who take this internet message board WAY TOO SERIOUSLY. lol

I have also just realized that some people actually care how many posts they have or how many rep. points they have.

This is too funny.

I like to post on this forum once in a while and I enjoy reading some of the posts but I think some of you need to take some self inventory about the emotional resources that you are spending on a fake, cyber conversation.

I also realize that I might get bad rep for this or even banned for this...but I really dont care.

NineBallNut
11-17-2006, 12:03 PM
I know this has been covered but I feel it is the absolute truth to this situaltion, and that is the fact that new posters seem to sometimes jump in on a thread that has history either in earlier posts or another thread all together that they do not realize what has transpired. This makes it so they say something inopriate to the situation and get "blasted"

Now they think that people have a vendetta against them when all it really means is they stuck there nose in where it didn't belong without knowing the facts.

!Smorgass Bored
11-17-2006, 12:11 PM
tk_it_ez Nathan wrote:

< I snipped it all because he only had 43 posts >

I only read posts by members with between 434 posts and 1172 posts.
Doug
( I'm VERY picky and don't let my peas touch my mashed potatoes )

tk_it_ez
11-17-2006, 12:14 PM
WOW, I didn't expect this to get that much interest.

I agree with most of what everyone is saying. Content does matter more than anything else when it comes to posts. If a post from a new member is confrontational and not very logical then there is a good chance that someone is signing up under a new name just to flame someone. But I also have heard many people say to disregard someone because they don't agree with what they said and they have a low post count. (they usually will point it out also) If you want to get someone going, that is a good way to do it, and then the person loses their temper and it goes down hill from there.

Most of the posters on here are great. I have learned a lot just reading. I usually don't post because if I want to know something I usually can find where someone else has asked the same thing before. There are cliques on here but aren't there everywhere.

I really like AZ. Do I like everything about it and everyone on here, NO. But if I did then what would be the fun in that.

As far as the junk posts go, I am not saying that every short little post like good luck, happy birthday, "would you like to buy some rice" (rackem, that did make me laugh by the way) are bad things. Just that the count does not truly reflect how much you contribute. There are plenty of members with 100 posts that are always well thought out, insightful and helpful that have said and contributed much more than members with 5 or 10 times as many posts. Quality over quantity.

Overall I think the members are open to opinions and more than willing to help out others with advice. All I was trying to say with this thread was that I don't think people should make a big deal out of a low post count when they are in an argument. That is not proof that they have an agenda. If someone is a jacka**, they will still be a jacka** whether they have 5 posts of 5000 posts.

Thanks,

Nathan (hope to learn enough to contribute more one day)

pharaoh68
11-17-2006, 12:23 PM
I have decided that there are a lot of people who take this internet message board WAY TOO SERIOUSLY. lol.

Never happen! Not here!! No one takes this stuff too seriously. J/K. This is the truest statement that has been posted on this thread thus far.

I have also just realized that some people actually care how many posts they have or how many rep. points they have.

This is too funny.

Not me. I like the greenies as much as the next guy, but I'm not prostitute. I will not whore myself out for the greenies. (Ok. Maybe a little. But I've got my limits!)

I like to post on this forum once in a while and I enjoy reading some of the posts but I think some of you need to take some self inventory about the emotional resources that you are spending on a fake, cyber conversation.

Nothing fake about these conversations. They are very real. Often people share their opinions. Others ask for advice. Its an open forum for non-verbal conversation. As a result, these conversations here are QUITE real. It's no different than some of the talks you have at the pool table or on a bar stool, only here, it is typed. Yet because the conversation is not held in person with the other party, many see it is having less validity. THis is just not so.

I also realize that I might get bad rep for this or even banned for this...but I really dont care.

Never happen! I've said WAY worse stuff than this on here, and I'm now a member of the GOLDEN POSSE!!!

Purdman
11-17-2006, 12:24 PM
well fred if you look at my replies in the last one i was asking a question that i wanted to hear an answer to and all the replies i got were blasting me at trying to start something in which i was not. I was asking how he felt now. Keep in mind this is a guy who fled a tournament and cost the guy who bought him in the calcutta a good amount of money. And then blasts the small tournaments because they dont pay enough ie. the us open. And then he signs up for the viking tour championship and wins the us open. i just wanted to know if the sudden change of heart was due to the sudden demise of the IPT. AS for JS i like him and root for him, but just wanted to know about the apparent backpeddling. So instead of searching my history just answer the questions

Maybe John felt bad about it and wanted to make things right. Have you ever done anything that you wish you didn't? Did you go back and rectify it? I have on many ocasions.
As far as low posters goes, we were all there at one time. It really doesn't matter. I knocked a few newbes who went all out to try and convince everybody that the IPT and KT were going to be good for pool after he lied several times. I figured they were IPT plants trying to stick up for the crook!
Purdman
PS: What you have just done is try to flame the posters with more post than you. You really have no complaint. You are welcome here, however if you are to sensitive to handle it, perhaps you should go elsewhere. We do not wish to hurt your feelings.

ridewiththewind
11-17-2006, 02:46 PM
I have no problem with new posters. With that said, I do have a problem with new posters who come on here just to start with derogatory remarks about established members with no basis for the lash-out. The IPT fiasco has brought ALOT of new members to the board, which is good....I'm all for an open dialog, but I have issues with those that begin attacking, for whatever reason. Also, some of the new members may misunderstand posts between established members as 'not very nice' when in fact the case may simply be that we know each other well enough to give each other crap...usually in jest.

The other issue I have is with some new members using the Wanted/For Sale section as a personal free 'storefront'. I am not saying they cannot offer wares for sale...but the spamming is poor form.

Also, poor form is making comments concerning a seller's pricing on any particular cue they may have for sale. All it takes is one mis-informed comment, and it can kill a potential cue sale...or make it more difficult. If you have an issue as to price...or any other disagreements, take them to the PM's! That's part of what they are for.....and never copy and paste PM info publicly!! This will cause no end of problems, and could result in a little 'vacation'.

As Purdman has already stated...we were all 'newbies' here once...and a mistake can be forgiven...we've all made them. But you will find fairly quickly that continued indiscretions will likely not be tolerated for very long.

Me, well I'd like to think that I have made the best use of my posts in general, and earned most of my 'greenies'.:D

Welcome to all the recent new members, and looking forward always to new points of view and ideas. It's the diversity here that keeps things interesting!!

Lisa

BarenbruggeCues
11-17-2006, 04:31 PM
It seems as though most people would like this MB to grow and have more people take an active role in expressing their opinions. I was just reading another thread and something really got to me that I have seen on numerous occasions. Do some of the "regular posters" on here know why some of us lurkers don't post most of the time? If someone has a low post count, say under 50, and they post something that the majority does not like or does not agree with, they get blasted over the whole low post count thing.

I will be the first to admit that if I see two posters arguing over an opinion and one person has a 1000 posts compared to someone with 1 post I will usually give the benefit of the doubt to the 1000 post person. But most of that comes down to if I have read, agree with or respect the person's opinions from other posts of theirs that I have read.

I believe my post count is around 30 right now but it may be lower than that, don't know for sure until this gets posted. If I ordered a cue from so and so cuemaker that usually does a good job and the points came out uneven and the inlays were not good and I posted something about it on here I would bet good money that one of the first things I will get blasted over is my low post count. Why???? Everyone on here can see my post count. Let them take that into consideration when they make their own decision about the issue. That doesn't mean to totally disregard someones opinion or experiences. Can't anyone come up with anything better than "don't listen to him, look at his post count". I am sure that many of the 1000 post people know someone, that will never post on here, that knows more about pool and cues than we ever will. (Just to clarify, I am not one of those people) If they would for some reason decide to post and then get blasted over a low post count, do you think they will ever come back?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Seemed to me that this is where it should go since it has to do with posting opinions about pool and cues. Mr. Wilson, feel free to move it if you think it belongs in NPR.

Final word from a low post count member (lurker). Please don't blast a person's opinions or experiences just because of a low post count, but take it into consideration if you want. You just might miss out on some good info or on a good story later on if you run people off after their first few posts.

Just my 2 cents,

anyone elses post to this question.............You used the word *cuemaker* so that makes it a pool related post.
And next..........right or wrong...........probably more wrong than right......
I think it is just part of a hazing process that takes place on public forums such as this.

Mr. Wilson
11-17-2006, 04:42 PM
It doesn't matter how many posts you do or don't have.

Unless you have a cool avitar, your posts don't count at all!

;)

ridewiththewind
11-17-2006, 04:47 PM

;)

Is that how it works?!:eek: Wait until I bring the dogs out!! Lol.:D

Rodney
11-17-2006, 04:59 PM

;)

Then I guess i'm IN:D :p ;)

pooltchr
11-17-2006, 05:10 PM

;)

That's my way of staying under the radar!!!:D
Steve

BarenbruggeCues
11-17-2006, 05:24 PM

;)

I need to get with the changing times then!

Mr. Wilson
11-17-2006, 05:36 PM
I need to get with the changing times then!

Dave, just send me one of your cues and they will all get the Gold Star next to them :D

BarenbruggeCues
11-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Dave, just send me one of your cues and they will all get the Gold Star next to them :D

The *Gold Star* treatment..............I am really feeling special now!!

Cue is the mail!!

chilli66
11-17-2006, 06:14 PM
I've only been here a few weeks & I've found it to be a pretty friendly group of folks. Some good natured banter & definitely very informative. I have seen the low post count bias on other sites but not here.

Plus I can thank AZB for saving me some money, I first viewed this site the same night I was about to click on a banner on another site that said something like "Join now for $29.95 & only $5.95 a month!" Very helpful indeed!

Also, I hope you like my avatar. :-)

Ade.

rackmsuckr
11-17-2006, 07:11 PM
No matter how hard you try, ho right you are, or how you cute you are, not everybody is going to agree with. Some aren't going to agree when they know you are right. Right Linda?

So right, Ironman. ;) For instance...are you calling me a Ho? Or confusing me with Mr. Ho? :p

psychoblinker
11-17-2006, 07:40 PM
dont hurt me!! i have only 40+ posts... i promise ill bring it up.. ill spam!! ill insult somebody!! ill make useless remarks!! ill repeat myself!! :p

seriously tk_it_ez bro, there are a thousand people on the forum. not everyone is cut from the same cloth, some are $hit stirrers, some jacka$$es, some really nice guys. a lot of people here have really constructive, intelligent things to say, to help and to educate. (im not one of them..) some are clueless.. some act like they know... a minority just spew crap... roll with it bro, like your nick suggest.. take it easy. cheers man:)

jaz ortega.

UWPoolGod1
11-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Geez I went on an 11.5 hour round trip to a job walk today for work and I missed this 4 page thread. I am not even going to bother reading it, after reading the first post I had only one thing to do.....

*****ADD ONE WORTHLESS POST TO MY MEAGER AMOUNT*****

DaveK
11-18-2006, 12:16 AM

Great thread imo.

... There are plenty of members with 100 posts that are always well thought out, insightful and helpful that have said and contributed much more than members with 5 or 10 times as many posts. Quality over quantity.

As is often the case, they leave you wanting more. Your post reminded me of deadaim ... http://forums.azbilliards.com/search.php?searchid=648656

A big post count just means you've been here too long and have a big mouth.

Dave :D

TheConArtist
11-18-2006, 01:23 AM
The main reason why i like AZB. I use to post here almost everyday and for sometime i quit posting but i am a member or two other forums. I have to say i was never blasted on for my low count when first became a member, but it was quite sometime when i was a newbie here. AZB is a great forum, alot of great information here and alot of informative members. And from what i noticed the Aiming and Banned threads get alot of interest also:D

TheConArtist
11-18-2006, 01:25 AM
I've only been here a few weeks & I've found it to be a pretty friendly group of folks. Some good natured banter & definitely very informative. I have seen the low post count bias on other sites but not here.

Plus I can thank AZB for saving me some money, I first viewed this site the same night I was about to click on a banner on another site that said something like "Join now for $29.95 & only $5.95 a month!" Very helpful indeed!

Also, I hope you like my avatar. :-)

Ade.

Great Avatar, i like it bro :D

ChrisOnline
11-18-2006, 01:58 AM
the old adage of quality vs quantity.

ive been regestered for a while, but never actually actively posted or really looked through the fourms till i started looking for a cue. now i cant help but chime in with my 2 cents whenever theres a topic i can contribute to :)

Tap tap tap... i totally agree with you 100%... this post is deffinatly a quality post and deffinatly should be recognized as such....

and you know.. all these people with the large post counts, had to start somewhere... just trying to take part in as many conversations as you can helps, and having something to add wether you know about something or are asking a simple question is always a great way to participate.. this forum has enough topics that anybody and everybody will have a place to fit in.. some people like to talk about general pool.. some people like cues and some people like to just shoot the bull with the pros that take an active role..

there is so much more for everybody to gain by taking part.. and the knowlege of EVERY MEMBER is truley outstanding here on this forum..

chris

Purdman
11-18-2006, 05:42 AM
So right, Ironman. ;) For instance...are you calling me a Ho? Or confusing me with Mr. Ho? :p

I believe he is refering to you as a farm implement. They did that to my sister in high school. I think it means something cool like "You dig it like a hoe". Not really sure, am I missing something here?
Purdman:D

Another useless post to drive up my count!:rolleyes:

Rich R.
11-18-2006, 06:52 AM
I have only scanned this thread, and I did not read every post, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

I want to remind everyone that, no matter how good or bad a poster, everyone of us started with post #1 and worked from there.
Let's all pay attention to what is being said, not how much. JMHO.

sjm
11-18-2006, 07:30 AM
I have only scanned this thread, and I did not read every post, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

I want to remind everyone that, no matter how good or bad a poster, everyone of us started with post #1 and worked from there.
Let's all pay attention to what is being said, not how much. JMHO.

Well said. I hate it when people's post counts are cited, because in a forum which is best when based on mutual respect among posters, post count should not count for anything.

I often try to make this clear to incoming posters on the forum. We often get posts from newbies in which they introduce themselves. This August, I replied to one of them as follows:

Welcome to the forum. Remember, just because you are new in these parts doesn't mean your opinions are valued less than anyone else's. After all, those of us who are regular posters were once newbies with the guts to get invovled in the threads.

The low post count members of AZB contribute in big ways in these parts, and should be appreciated and respected.

BillyKoda
11-18-2006, 08:49 AM
When you join this forum it is exactly like walking into a new pool room, you don't know anyone and they don't know you. It takes time to earn the respect of the locals. You play well in the new room you will get some respect.

BK

sde
11-18-2006, 10:18 AM
There is a thread on the board started by a new cue maker who introduced himself and received a very warm welcome.

cueaddicts
11-19-2006, 06:21 AM
Well said. I hate it when people's post counts are cited, because in a forum which is best when based on mutual respect among posters, post count should not count for anything.

I often try to make this clear to incoming posters on the forum. We often get posts from newbies in which they introduce themselves. This August, I replied to one of them as follows:

The low post count members of AZB contribute in big ways in these parts, and should be appreciated and respected.

This is a great thread !!

sjm, I agree wholeheartedly. In almost every instance the poster's post count should not come into play.

But.......when it's obvious that someone signs up under another ID just for the purpose of spewing outright lies or flaming someone, then that's another story altogether IMO. With these type shills, it's pretty obvious as their minimal posts have zero positive input to the forum. I wished the powers at be here had a better way of policing multiple identities.......this type of behavior is childish and cowardly and is not respectful of the AZ community.

Mr. Wilson
11-19-2006, 08:52 AM
But.......when it's obvious that someone signs up under another ID just for the purpose of spewing outright lies or flaming someone, then that's another story altogether IMO. With these type shills, it's pretty obvious as their minimal posts have zero positive input to the forum. I wished the powers at be here had a better way of policing multiple identities.......this type of behavior is childish and cowardly and is not respectful of the AZ community.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=25061

The very last sentence is in Giant bold RED letters.

It's not a new rule.

If posters know something about a new account being created that I don't, a simple PM will address it.

Pinocchio
11-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Be your own dog. If you take a little heat wolf back. It a pretty easy game just because you have minimal posts does not mean your always wrong when you say something. Try to have fun an enjoy yourself.

Pinocchio

blah blah
11-22-2006, 06:07 PM
Nathan-

I thought at the time you posted, but didn't have any immediate examples to mind, that you may be missing something (it happens to us low- posters- we don't pay daily attention).

Well, I've returned to lurk a little again, and just randomly happen to have examples at hand for my point, which is that the normal, daily talkers don't immediately know who is a legitimate but quiet member, and who is a "suspicious new member."

It often happens that suddenly a new member shows up and has a lot to say, right off the bat. Usually they are limited to one subject (a favorite pro player, women players, a particular cue or aiming method- whatever). On this one subject, they are an absolute expert with very strong feelings about their opinion. Alternatively, sometimes they are not limited to a single subject but are more geared towards inciting debate or just plain bickering.

When confronting the new person, the "talkers" often refer to the low post count- it's a way of questioning the person's reason for being in an argument already, when they pretty much just got there.

SO. Having re-read Mr Wilson's rules before posting this, having double- checked the definition of ad hominem attacks (appealing to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect), and having carefully crafted this message, I invite you to check the posts by elizabeth and luv2runout1. Now compare these posts to another new, low- poster: Doug (sorry to bring you attention, doug, but you've both stood up for your opinions and have spoken about a broad range of topics for your low posts).

Check out what they have to say, and the responses that they got.

i'm just saying it's not so much the number of posts, but their content and sudden appearance.