PDA

View Full Version : Titlist Question

BHQ
11-18-2006, 01:11 PM
I have to ask because i'm so friggin' colorblind it's pathetic
my mom still has to dress me :D

below are pics of points in , what i beleive to be a Brunswick model 26 & a half
my question is, are the veneers of a 26 1/2 the same as a hoppe titlist??
i lost chris' (tate) email address
runscott's is no longer available
any other experts?????
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/STIX4SALE/test%20area/DSCF1857.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/STIX4SALE/test%20area/DSCF1856.jpg

manwon
11-18-2006, 01:56 PM
I have to ask because i'm so friggin' colorblind it's pathetic

below are pics of points in , what i beleive to be a Brunswick model 26 & a half
any other experts?????
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/STIX4SALE/test%20area/DSCF1857.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/STIX4SALE/test%20area/DSCF1856.jpg

Hey Partner, the Brunswick 26 1/2 is the fore runner of the Titlist cue. I have seen them with Veneer's exactly like a Titlist (later models) and also with different colored veneers (Early model).

It is hard to tell if the cue is a model 26 1/2 by your photo's though. I would have to see a photo of the entire cue to be certain.

manwon

BHQ
11-18-2006, 02:44 PM
the butt is only 24" long . rear end was split. so i cut it off and located a new center.
will a pic of the entire points help?????
some measurements maybe??

BHQ
11-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Hey Partner, the Brunswick 26 1/2 is the fore runner of the Titlist cue. I have seen them with Veneer's exactly like a Titlist (later models) and also with different colored veneers (Early model).

It is hard to tell if the cue is a model 26 1/2 by your photo's though. I would have to see a photo of the entire cue to be certain.

manwon chris (tate), i think it was, not sure, told me brunswick took some old stock 26 1/2's and simply stamped hoppe's name on it and added the label. hence, came the titlist.
when people tell me the colors and order of the veneers, it really doesn't help me much, cuz i can't see them correctly. :rolleyes:

jazznpool
11-19-2006, 02:04 AM
BHQ, The colors are not the same. The green in your 26-1/2 is a light army green, whereas in the typical Titlist the second color is a teal green. Still that forearm looks terrific.

Martin

BHQ
11-19-2006, 07:28 AM
BHQ, The colors are not the same. The green in your 26-1/2 is a light army green, whereas in the typical Titlist the second color is a teal green. Still that forearm looks terrific.

Martin there's GREEN in there???? no wonder i always miss the 6 ball!!!! :eek:

woodyosborne
11-19-2006, 08:08 AM
okay(takes deep breath)if it is any help/consolation to you:
the very outer veneer is(could be, maybe, i think)a dark red, a dark brown, a dark gray, a dark green.
next veneer is: hmmm tan, yellow or orangish.
next veneer is:yellow, brown, green or orange. feeling better?
next is: tan, yellow?
point is dark- hey you changed the pix. i quit! the next picture changed everything. very nice cue!!
being shall we say color challenged is a real pain . cost me two ranks coming out of boot camp just because i missed 24 out of 28 answers on a color proficiency test. the navy is tough on color perception. i came out an e1 instead of an e3(was going to go into nuclear program- didn't happen)
i too get coached on clothes by others. i bought a really nice shirt my daughter has it now.
i thought it was a nice salmon colored shirt. she let me know quickly it was pink!
of course pink and salmon may actually be the same color as far as i and my eyes are concerned . lol

runscott
11-19-2006, 09:20 AM
[B][CENTER][CENTER][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]I have to ask because i'm so friggin' colorblind it's pathetic

It's a Model 26 1/2 - There are two dead giveaways: the location of the '22' (next to the point instead of in the nose). Also, that first veneer is a good sign - see how tight the wood in it is? In the Titlists they used a different wood in that first veneer that has much more 'grain' to it.

That is green. If you look at the old 40's Titlists, the green will look the same in many of them - sometimes faded even more.

runscott
12-09-2006, 02:47 PM
It's a Model 26 1/2 - There are two dead giveaways: the location of the '22' (next to the point instead of in the nose). Also, that first veneer is a good sign - see how tight the wood in it is? In the Titlists they used a different wood in that first veneer that has much more 'grain' to it.

That is green. If you look at the old 40's Titlists, the green will look the same in many of them - sometimes faded even more.

Update. I recently picked up a Carom King - Titlist predecessor 4-veneer Brunswick made for one year. Mine has the weight number just above the points, same script as your cue...and the colors on your are same brightness as my Carom King. Makes me think yours is a late '30s Model 26 1/2, or maybe even a Carom King. Are there any remnants of the decal? Sometimes, even though the decal is gone, you can still see a slight 'shadow' of the decal shape.

TATE
12-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Couldn't delete - see next post.

TATE
12-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Update. I recently picked up a Carom King - Titlist predecessor 4-veneer Brunswick made for one year. Mine has the weight number just above the points, same script as your cue...and the colors on your are same brightness as my Carom King. Makes me think yours is a late '30s Model 26 1/2, or maybe even a Carom King. Are there any remnants of the decal? Sometimes, even though the decal is gone, you can still see a slight 'shadow' of the decal shape.

My 26 1/2 from the 1920's has the exact colors of this cue but the weight is on the butt section.

Congrats on finding a Carom King! Good find.

Chris

hardydson
12-09-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm also color blind comes in handy from time to time....The wife can paint the walls any color...i don't care...don't care what color my car is...the only think that bothers me is when the wife says this color would look good on you...looks light blue to me...then my bud says hey nice pink shirt there...dang ,burned again....

Stones
12-09-2006, 05:17 PM
The one time I went clothes shopping by myself, I picked out the nicest powder gray suit. The salesman helped me match a shirt and a tie with it. Wore it to work the next day, everyone had a great laugh. Ends up, it was lime green. Didn't even keep it for St. Pat's Day. Straight to Goodwill.
Everyone at the poolroom thinks I walk around the table to see the angle on a shot but it's really to see the numbers on the balls. On some tables, I can't tell the difference between a 2 and 4 ball, 3 and 5 ball, or 6 and 7 ball. Can't tell you the number of times I've played shape from the 4 to the 3 ball in 9 ball. LOL.

Sorry about hijacking the thread. Nice cues, though, whatever color they are.

BHQ
12-09-2006, 06:58 PM
The one time I went clothes shopping by myself, I picked out the nicest powder gray suit. The salesman helped me match a shirt and a tie with it. Wore it to work the next day, everyone had a great laugh. Ends up, it was lime green. Didn't even keep it for St. Pat's Day. Straight to Goodwill.
Everyone at the poolroom thinks I walk around the table to see the angle on a shot but it's really to see the numbers on the balls. On some tables, I can't tell the difference between a 2 and 4 ball, 3 and 5 ball, or 6 and 7 ball. Can't tell you the number of times I've played shape from the 4 to the 3 ball in 9 ball. LOL.

Sorry about hijacking the thread. Nice cues, though, whatever color they are. yep, 2 & 4 are the same to me. so are the 3 & the 5. can't see the 6 at all, only the number spot. the 7, who the hell knows what color that is. :eek: if i get past all of those, i can see the 8 & 9 pretty good

runscott
12-10-2006, 10:30 PM
My 26 1/2 from the 1920's has the exact colors of this cue but the weight is on the butt section.

Congrats on finding a Carom King! Good find.

Chris

Ken found it for me - thanks Ken! I'm trying to 'complete' the Brunswick line of 4-veneer cues, but sold my 26 1/2 collection before moving to Seattle - couldn't see travelling 3000 miles with all those 1-piece cues in my car. I never had one like Brent's - I think the one Brent shows in the above post is significant because it looks very, very similar to the 1940 Carom King (which looks basically exactly like the Titlist that came out the following year), but not exactly. Might be the last variation of the Model 26 1/2. It would be nice to know how Brunswick and Rambow planned out the new 4-veneer cues - veneer wood changes, dye changes, point position and length, enforced quality standards (less point filler, butt thickness, more consistent veener color shades). Wonder what Rambow's "Titlist notes" would go for on ebay?

TATE
12-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Ken found it for me - thanks Ken! I'm trying to 'complete' the Brunswick line of 4-veneer cues, but sold my 26 1/2 collection before moving to Seattle - couldn't see travelling 3000 miles with all those 1-piece cues in my car. I never had one like Brent's - I think the one Brent shows in the above post is significant because it looks very, very similar to the 1940 Carom King (which looks basically exactly like the Titlist that came out the following year), but not exactly. Might be the last variation of the Model 26 1/2. It would be nice to know how Brunswick and Rambow planned out the new 4-veneer cues - veneer wood changes, dye changes, point position and length, enforced quality standards (less point filler, butt thickness, more consistent veener color shades). Wonder what Rambow's "Titlist notes" would go for on ebay?

Scott,

I just put up some comparison pics too - can you look these over?

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=48466

Chris

runscott
12-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Scott,

I just put up some comparison pics too - can you look these over?

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=48466

Chris

Thanks Chris - very nice cues! Wish I still had my leather-gripped 26 1/2's - had two purplehearts and an ebony.